Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm still chugging through Babylon. I'm up to chapter 15 now. So long! So many levels are tedious too; like there's no chance of me losing, but it still takes a while to cut through all that HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Meanwhile, for my part, I got to the Solomon singularity. :unsmith:

Now, most of the farm pillars are dead already, like I feared :v: but hopefully Sol himself gives some good loots!

Ytlaya posted:

I'm still chugging through Babylon. I'm up to chapter 15 now. So long! So many levels are tedious too; like there's no chance of me losing, but it still takes a while to cut through all that HP.

That doesn't let up after 15, too. The trash is really beefy in Babylon.

Though after 15, it makes a bit more sense.

Also, the HP totals at least make the bosses feel impactful, and starting with the confrontation in chapter 15, they do actual things with boss mechanics. The end is suitably epic.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Babylon is pretty smooth sailing if you've got a leveled up AoE Servant, Altera in particular considering the glut of Lancers. It was pretty much DW calling the playerbase's bluff that AoE NPs were useless.

Camelot and Babylon take much longer to get through than all of the previous stories combined, but as someone who has been playing the game consistently for a long while I'm pretty happy with that. I know it sucks for people who just started/haven't played in a very long while, but well hell. You just started. Of course the content labeled challenging is gonna be tougher, it was designed for people who've been playing from the beginning.

I kind of wonder how most of you guys would've reacted to Nero 2016. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This character has been out for three days

https://twitter.com/ne_ji_sinkei/status/812704625430102016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How!!?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Lots and lots of apples or saint quartz.

And absolutely no life whatsoever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kyte posted:

Lots and lots of apples or saint quartz.

And absolutely no life whatsoever.

I've got one of those.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got a Carmilla from my christmas quartz

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Merlin's bond further boosts Buster... Yeah he's gonna forever be hanging out with my Kintoki and Cu Alter. In another six months I'll totally have it!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well at the very least I can't judge his taste in waifus.

EDIT: Oh god it's a musical box version of the OP. :smith:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 25, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
RIP Mashu and Roman

How the gently caress are you meant to fight this boss

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm at a Christmas party, what's happening now?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Solomon is actually the beast class Goetia and uses a giant fuckoff beam that Mash protects the group from but dies protecting and Roman shows up and summons the actual Solomon and then you fight Goetia and he has a first turn that wipes your party all of the time unless you break his pattern.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There are three phases to the fight. The first ends as soon as Goetia charges up his NP, it's a glorified cutscene. The second has 1.5 million HP, takes almost zero damage from NPs for three turns, and automatically drops an invincibility piercing party wipe NP first turn.

The two ways to beat him are to either uses a Guts team (Cu :swoon:) or to just put your heavy hitters in the backrow and wait out the three turns. Get a support Merlin, he makes things super super easy.

The final phase is against Human King Goetia, who's trying to take you down with him. He has a skill that negates class triangle advantage (though he'll still do extra damage to Assassins), and at low HP he'll drop his HP to 1 in order to drop his NP one last time. He's much weaker though, so you shouldn't have much trouble.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The little emblem you get for beating the game is pretty cool.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Easiest way to beat the second fight is to spend three command seals to revive everyone and np nuke em. I would spend quartz on it just for how epic this fight is.

Oh and having three Kairi CE also worked wonder.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk how Merlin makes this fight any easier when his skills are gonna work for three turns and you get to use his full guard skill once before goetia tears through

I'll just grind for the Quartz on free quests though and beat him with that I can get him to half before he kills me

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Spam his NP. His HP Regen is pretty much your main source of healing, he shits stars so you can Buster crit things, and he has a guard for the next time Goetia gets his NP ready.

I won with Cu - Merlin - Waver. If I had someone who could actually Buster crit it probably would've been even smoother sailing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How is that a solution when Goetia outdamages the regen you get? You get like 3000 hp per turn at best and if Merlin dies which he will because he takes damage like a bitch then you lose your main source of healing this is not to mention you need to build around your entire frontline getting blown up which is horseshit. I can build for arts spam, but I'm not gonna be able to stop him from running wild on me because Avalon's just gonna heal me and do gently caress all else for me since I have no DPS at that point.

BlitzBlast posted:

I won with Cu - Merlin - Waver. If I had someone who could actually Buster crit it probably would've been even smoother sailing.

Oh yeah I forgot to use that Waver I totally have because this game's gacha is still busted as poo poo.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well if you don't have a good enough team, just blow your Command Seal revive and NP spam your way through. v:shobon:v

They've announced that they'll be making a new app. It'll come out early next year and you can use your bind code to transfer over your stuff. Wait I can't find a source for that on twitter, it's probably just shitposting.

There was a tweet about how the Valentines rerun will have the male servants giving chocolate too this time though.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 25, 2016

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
The Fate/Extra Mystic Code has the same 'negate buff' effect Jalter has on her NP, so you can at least negate the invincibility pierce portion of his first turn NP. Skill Seal can also break his script, so Mata Hari's available as a non-whale option if you desperately need another outfit instead.

...Not that that's been helping me too much. A team of Jalter/Waver/Tamamo still dies too fast, and fielding three 5*s with appropriate CEs means I don't really have much Team Cost to play with. Rider Marie Antionette has the debuff clear on her NP, so a team of Marie, Support Merlin, and maaaaaaaaaaaaybe Tamamo/Hans might let you outheal his damage? His NP doesn't actually hit that hard compared to some other AoEs, it's mostly the stacking debuffs that are the real killer.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's just what's gonna have to happen, I guess.

BlitzBlast posted:

Well if you don't have a good enough team, just blow your Command Seal revive and NP spam your way through. v:shobon:v

They've announced that they'll be making a new app. It'll come out early next year and you can use your bind code to transfer over your stuff. Wait I can't find a source for that on twitter, it's probably just shitposting.

There was a tweet about how the Valentines rerun will have the male servants giving chocolate too this time though.

So wait is that APP thing not happening or was it something else?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you mean that AR thing, I think it was just for the Da Vinci Code event going on in Japan or something.

Also Fou is an AU version of Primate Murder who got stuck with Merlin and thus never met Altrouge. You "defeated" Beast IV through the power of friendship.

Yes, I think his name actually was supposed to be Four.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I have yet to get Solomon below 1250000 HP. I have a friend with a Merlin support, and I tried doing Tamamo+Jeanne Alter+Merlin for my backrow after the front row ate poo poo, but his normal attacks just murder me too quickly. Also I'm out of quartz so I can't NP bomb him :suicide:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

You weren't wrong about that last fight. He seems to be immune (or at least highly resistant) to charm as well; TamaLancer can't even land charm on him.
On the plus side, I did have him ticking away for about 8k curse damage a turn at one point :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh thank god, somebody recorded the orchestral version of the OP.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Going by twitter, there'll be another paid gacha. This one will be separated by class, and it'll include limited Servants. For those new to this, you only get one shot at the paid gacha so pick your favorite class and pray.

Oh and paid gacha means it only accepts quartz you actually purchased. The bonus quartz you get does not count, you have to actually buy 30 quartz.

Oh and 3*s were announced to be getting animation updates.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
When are they gonna announce the real evil that Solomon or Solomon Alter? I'm not too clear on that was actually trying to defeat the whole time?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The other Solomon was Demon King Goetia that took over Solomon's dead body he is one of the 7 beasts like Tiamat

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Captain Baal posted:

Solomon is actually the beast class Goetia and uses a giant fuckoff beam that Mash protects the group from but dies protecting and Roman shows up and summons the actual Solomon and then you fight Goetia and he has a first turn that wipes your party all of the time unless you break his pattern.

Not quite.
Solomon's wish after winning with Marisbilly was to become a human.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 25, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh okay

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The cliffnotes as I understand them are:

- In 2004, Olga's dad participated in the Holy Grail War with Solomon as his Caster and won. He wished for money to fund Chaldea, while Solomon wished to live as a human because he felt he never had the opportunity to in life.
- Solomon becomes Roman, but then immediately gets a horrible foreboding feeling of something bad about to happen (a leftover trace of Solomon's Clairvoyance?) and proceeds to spend the next ten years studying desperately to do something about it.
- Apparently when Solomon incarnated as a human, the demons he controlled took over the leftover shell? I'm not too sure on the details, but the result is Beast I: Goetia.
- Goetia represents the human sin of mercy/compassion, because he fundamentally doesn't understand why humans would be okay with dying. His goal is to erase the world and rebuild it into one where everyone is immortal, much like the demon pillars.
- When you finally encounter Goetia, you literally can not beat him. He drops his world destroying NP, and while Mashu is able to stop it with Lord Camelot the heat of the attack kills her anyways.
- Roman shows up on the scene and reveals his trump card: Solomon's missing ring. With it he is able to turn back into Solomon and use his third NP: Ars Nova. This erases Solomon from history, and even the Throne of Heroes.
- Now that Solomon no longer exists, Goetia's existence is no longer possible. This weakens him enough that you can actually defeat him.
- On your way out, Goetia reappears as a human. He knows he's lost, but he doesn't want to go out with a whimper. He wants to die fighting so that you, at least, will have witnessed his life. It's a comparison to how Chaldea itself operates: the Servants assist you not because you want their power, but because you recognize them as being legendary figures.
- After taking down Goetia for good (all the Servants are gone at this point so I think it's implied that in-story you just punched him out), he dies with a smile on his face.
- You resume running, but it's too late now and the pathway back collapses. But then Mashu grabs your hand and pulls you to safety.
- A flashback: Mashu is dead, but then she sees Four (and yes, it's "Four"). Four talks about how in another world it would be known as Primate Murder, but in this world it got stuck with Merlin and thus never really interacted with humanity until it came to Chaldea. It's come to love humanity thanks to your efforts, so it chooses to full on resurrect Mashu and give her a normal lifespan. No Third Magic workarounds here, it's straight up a revival.
- Doing this will cost Four all of its intelligence and power, though. As Mashu revives, Four congratulates her and humanity for having defeated Beast IV.
- Back in Chaldea at last, everybody celebrates. You go out with Mashu and see a brand new dawn, because Nasu has a hardon for ending all of his works with a pan to the sky.

Holmes' foreshadowing was never fully addressed, as far as I'm aware, so it's likely fodder for year two. I don't think it was ever directly stated if Solomon was the reason for the fall of humanity that Chaldea was formed to stop either. The only official word is that there will be no more singularities, but that's such an obvious case of exact words it's not even worth joking about.

Also the F/GO OST was announced! A trial version will be sold alongside Material III at Comiket, and the full release is next March.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder what convoluted method they'll eventually use to bring Roman back because there is no way in hell Solomon isn't getting added to the gacha at some point.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 25, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This has certainly been quite the experience

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I think death by waifu overdose is the most appropriate way imaginable for F/GO to end.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

BlitzBlast posted:

- Solomon becomes Roman, but then immediately gets a horrible foreboding feeling of something bad about to happen (a leftover trace of Solomon's Clairvoyance?) and proceeds to spend the next ten years studying desperately to do something about it.
Somebody in BL mentioned that Revelation is a skill of the soul while Clairvoyance is a skill of the body, so it was likely the former.

quote:

- Apparently when Solomon incarnated as a human, the demons he controlled took over the leftover shell? I'm not too sure on the details, but the result is Beast I: Goetia.
They took over Solomon's dead body when he died back then, then spent like 3k years hatching their plot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

/fgog/ posted:

In life, Solomon had no will of his own; He was a device to run the kingdom, that reflected the will of god and the people.

Solomon won the grail war with Olga's father and his wish was to become human. Not to become human as Solomon, but to become a new true human, Roman. But just as he became human, while losing his ability to see the future, he saw the end of mankind. He didn't know any further details but knew that it had something to do with him, and so set out to try and stop it.

Olga's father summoned him using that one ring Roman has. Solomon had left it behind aside from the others through one of his instructions from god.

Goetia is the sum of all 72 demons in control of Solomon's corpse. The demons were the ones in the visions complaining about why Solomon wasn't do anything about mankind. They/he got sick of mankind and after Solomon's death plotted this whole thing: Turning all of mankind over 3000 years into energy to power Ars Almadel Salomonis which would allow him to go back in time to the birth of the planet and create a new world that is home to a new, perfect life form free of death, with Goetia serving as the new planet itself. The "mirror" stuff is actually the personality of different demons surfacing to talk to whoever's talking to "Solomon".

Goetia is defeated because Roman/Solomon uses his true first noble phantasm, Ars Nova, in which he returns all of his powers and rings to God and dies. This saps Goetia's power since he's using Solomon's body. Oh, and this also results in the true complete death of Solomon himself, something that Goetia says has never ever actually happened in all of history; Solomon's entire existence is erased entirely, even from the Throne of Heroes. He was just killed extra hard. He wasn't erased from history.

When Soloroman uses Ars Nova this results in the 72 demons splitting up from Goetia. Some continue fighting, some "abandon life", some refuse to rejoin with Goetia, Gusion Eligos and Caym want to debate with the servants, Allocer and Orobas become shields (!?) and die protecting the servants, etc.

Goetia empathised with Mashu. All but one of the 72 demons had agreed on the whole "go back in time and remake the world" plan and Goetia wanted her to agree with their plan for reassurance, and offered to bring her with him to the start of the new world if she did so.

Da Vinci knew that Roman was Solomon but they kept it a secret as a trump card to use against Goetia.

Fou/Four is the fourth Beast, known as Primate Murder in other worlds. Merlin took him in in this world but let him loose to follow Chaldea's journey, and watching over them let him stay in this form (he mentions that he becomes very ugly in other worlds). He uses all the mana he's built up over all this time to bring Mashu back to life which is something that surpasses even the limits of true magic, but in exchange he loses his sentience and becomes a mere animal. He congratulates Mashu saying that they managed to defeat a Beast without swords.

Gilgamesh says that since he's not a Grand he doesn't know all that much about the Beasts. What he does know, however, is that they're said to appear in a chain: A world where a Human Evil appears is one that will be wrought with disasters as it heads towards the "ultimate evil". The fact that I (Goetia) has appeared probably means that VII has already appeared somewhere else in this world.

In the ending the world is back, but time has passed while all this poo poo was going on and so everyone else just instantly lost a year. The mages' association is in an uproar and sending people over to Chaldea to figure out what happened. Also there are still a bunch of masters in cold storage in Chaldea.

Most of the servants have left, but the ones like Da Vinci who'd been summoned before all this started, and a few who felt that they couldn't leave Guda behind stayed back (no names are mentioned, presumably the ones you have). Da Vinci says their patterns are all recorded anyway so if a ley shift ever happens again they can all be re-summoned. It's unsure if any ley shifts will happen ever again, though, as they'll probably need approval from a lot of places to do any.

Roman derived his name from "romanticism" (which is just "roman" in Japanese).

There's no mention of where Archeman comes from but Goetia refers to him as his archetype (Archeman: アーキマン, archetype: アーキタイプ).

People like Lev Flauros were seeded by Goetia as lines of mages that would sprout into demons when the time for incineration came, so Flauros wasn't some human who was persuaded to join Goetia; He was one of the 72 demons and part of Goetia before he was even born. He was also a classmate of Roman's and Goetia calls him a dumbass for not noticing that Roman is Solomon.

It's unclear if Solomon ever even was a grand caster. Goetia's profile says that his class as Grand Caster was false, and Solomon's card identifies him as a regular Caster. They don't really mention anything about Grand Servants at all (the only mention in the story is from Gilgamesh starting his explanation of Beasts with "I'm not a grand so I don't really know but...").

EDIT:

quote:

Tiamat represents "Regression", Goetia is "Pity" (There's an additional line below that in his material which elaborates on what it means: "the sheer arrogance of people pitying and being disappointed in other people".) and Fou seems to be "Regret, Envy"

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 25, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
So what happened to Solomon's Grand Caster status? I was expecting Holmes to show up at the finale too. :(

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nyaa posted:

So what happened to Solomon's Grand Caster status? I was expecting Holmes to show up at the finale too. :(

Well, given that the Beasts are becoming more of a thing, it probably means the real Grand Orders starts here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

- Goetia represents the human sin of mercy/compassion, because he fundamentally doesn't understand why humans would be okay with dying. His goal is to erase the world and rebuild it into one where everyone is immortal, much like the demon pillars.

So it all comes back to this again. Every Nasu work is about how being immortal makes you evil.

As for the Holmes foreshadowing, I'm pretty sure it meant that it wasn't Solomon himself who destroyed the world but Goetica, the real Solomon/Roman foresaw this in his last moments but he could only work against it as human-Roman.

The actual hints for future contents I think is when they mentioned how the other Beasts might appear as well.