Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It can't be more kids than The Strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I finished The OA. I really liked it, though I think that ending is meant to be absolutely dorky and over earnest. In some ways it's a real gently caress you to believably in fiction, and since the show's about whether it's possible to believe anything a character is saying, that's probably deliberate.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Can someone just spoil the OA ending and tell why it's awful?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I got an envelope from Nielsen! I'm such a tv nerd I'm so happy about this!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I loved THE NIGHT OF until that really incredibly dumb moment. Price is a much better writer than that, so I can't understand why he'd do it. Worst thing is that it happens in the original British show but in a much different way:

In the original she offers him a hug, and HE goes in for the kiss and she pulls away almost right away.

Then when he's found guilty his lawyer uses it to get a mistrial granted, throwing her under the bus.

Now though, Tuturro swoops in to save the day. So they ostracized the woman so the man can rescue it all. All of this might've had a more salient point, had the kiss perhaps played out the way it did in the original.

Weirdly, being underestimated was entirely the point of Chandra. She is mistreated and undervalued, despite helping Stone make a solid case. The kiss I could just about forgive, but the drug smuggling was crazy.

It's such a strange, baffling moment.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 24, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MiddleOne posted:

There is some mystery to how much the OA (original angel) is lying about her story. Presumably they go into it in season 2 which Brit Marling says they want to do. It also ends with a really crass and exploitative school shooting scene. They prevent the shooting by doing an elaborate interpretive dance sequence which is also supposed to open an invisible door to another dimension.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 24, 2016

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Apparently Riz Ahmed is also in the OA, so I really have to ask myself how much weird/bad tv I'm willing to suffer for the latest Light of My Life.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Spergatory posted:

Apparently Riz Ahmed is also in the OA, so I really have to ask myself how much weird/bad tv I'm willing to suffer for the latest Light of My Life.

Riz Ahmed is in all the "mediocre but had potential to be great" poo poo I'm watching this year. Dude must have the worst agent.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He has only like 10 minutes of screen time. Though he will be in season 2 if that happens.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

The OA spends about 6 episodes telling 4 high school kids and a teacher about how she was abducted, and while in captivity figured out that interpretive dancing has the power to cure diseases, bring people back from death and move across dimensions. They figure out the last movement needed to cross dimensions by curing a lady with ALS. As soon as they do that, the captor kills the lady with ALS and her police officer husband and releases the OA so she can't participate in the interpretive dance with the others. This, at least, is what she tells the 5 people she's been talking to for 6 episodes. People who at no point express any serious incredulity. Then, during the finale, they enter her house for whatever reason and find a box from Amazon with books that cover some of the things she talked about as her back story. So she claims to be from Russia, and there is a book about Russian oligarchs, and so on. Which is when they start to question her story. To push this along, a counselor from the FBI is in her house (for unexplained reasons) and tell them that they did a good thing by believing her since they are taking her trauma away from her.

Then, the next day, they start discussing whether she was telling the truth at school when a school shooter comes in and starts to kill people. The OA has a premonition and goes to the school, where they do their interpretive dance. The dance distracts the shooter enough so that a cafeteria worker tackles him, but the OA was shot in the process. This was enough to make the 5 people she was telling her story to believers again.

Also note that the whole thing with "interpretive dance is the secret" is something that only comes out when you are in hour 3 or 4 of this harrowing tale of a madman abducting people and locking them in their basement, including a plan to abduct someone from Cuba with the help of the abductees.

Now, you may feel like I am leaving something out, that this is all too batshit insane to have happened like this with no other explanation. But no, everything is there.

On top of which, pretty much every single character behaves like someone deep in the autism spectrum

one minor side plot is that the school bully is gently caress buddies with a girl. He doesn't necessarily love her, but keeps asking her to be his girlfriend. She doesn't want to, though. She is only loving him because she wants to get really good a sex for when she falls in love with someone.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 24, 2016

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

(original angel)

I full on cackled.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am very glad that their stupid dance didn't work and they still got shot. Maybe the OA is supposed to be a comedy?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am very glad that their stupid dance didn't work and they still got shot. Maybe the OA is supposed to be a comedy?

in the show, it is presented as everyone clearly believing that the dance worked

As far as comedy goes, there is not a single moment of levity or comedic relief in the entire series, which takes itself super, super seriously.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Riz Ahmed is in all the "mediocre but had potential to be great" poo poo I'm watching this year. Dude must have the worst agent.

If it had potential, that means at least the pilot/early episodes looked good, so he probably felt as bamboozled as you did when it took a turn for the poo poo. :v:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So they're making yet another Honeymooners reboot, which seems to be a tradition repeated every decade. Unlike those other ones, though, this is being developed by the guy who made ABC's The Muppets. That means there's a good chance it'll be worse than the '60s remake, which had the same actors but was a musical.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

get that OUT of my face posted:

So they're making yet another Honeymooners reboot, which seems to be a tradition repeated every decade. Unlike those other ones, though, this is being developed by the guy who made ABC's The Muppets. That means there's a good chance it'll be worse than the '60s remake, which had the same actors but was a musical.

Finally, a sitcom for Donald Trump's America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qw86DsdZ0

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I just got around to finishing PSYCH. I know it was no one's favourite, but eh that show had a rough time in its last two seasons. However, Kurt Fuller remained fantastic in it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Travelers is real good. I recommend it .

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Killing Season is crazy. How are there so many serial killers?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Brit Marling seems kind of full of herself.

Sound of My Voice, Another Earth, The East... maybe just a little.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The OA has to be one of the most bizarre shows. HBO would have seen the pilot and told them to go gently caress off. The title card and credits play almost an hour into the first episode. Is the first 50 minutes supposed to be the cold open?

One thing I do like is how they are really embracing the online streaming thing so the episode lengths vary a lot. I think some episodes are almost twice as long as others.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DrVenkman posted:

I just got around to finishing PSYCH. I know it was no one's favourite, but eh that show had a rough time in its last two seasons. However, Kurt Fuller remained fantastic in it.

Psych, as in the show with James Roday and Dule Hill, or... :confused:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

The OA has to be one of the most bizarre shows. HBO would have seen the pilot and told them to go gently caress off. The title card and credits play almost an hour into the first episode. Is the first 50 minutes supposed to be the cold open?

One thing I do like is how they are really embracing the online streaming thing so the episode lengths vary a lot. I think some episodes are almost twice as long as others.

Which is why the credits are so far into the first episode?

It's not like the show doesn't have an actual cold open -- the first thirty or forty seconds operates like one, only without the credits separating it from the rest of the story.

The actual credits turning up near the end of the first episode is more about pushing the boundaries of what you can do with the Netflix model, just like you say with the episode lengths. People always talk about Netflix being eight or thirteen hour long movies. Here's a show that actually treats itself like a movie might.

joepinetree posted:

in the show, it is presented as everyone clearly believing that the dance worked

As far as comedy goes, there is not a single moment of levity or comedic relief in the entire series, which takes itself super, super seriously.

I don't know, I think the episode was more ambiguous about whether the dance worked or not. It was meant to open a hole to another dimension. It didn't. It distracted the gunman long enough, due to sheer goofiness, that a cafeteria worker was able to take him down. The OA got shot, and all of her friends end the season confused and upset.

I also think the show could be pretty funny at times, like the sequence at the petrol station in episode seven. But I guess that's subjective?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The show implies that the door opened. Her disciples chase after the ambulance asking to take them with her. And we don't know where she woke up.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

raditts posted:

Fuller played the coroner in Psych. Woody, I think his name was.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Merry Christmas, CC! Youse folks are alright, ya know?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think we should argue which production of A Christmas Carol is the best, because the majority of them have been television productions.

I saw it's a tie between George C. Scott and Mickey's Christmas Carol.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

raditts posted:

That's the one. Kurt Fuller was the increasingly weird coroner and was great. I always found the show comfort viewing, but the last two seasons were legitimately hard to get through.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Do we have a Netflix shows thread? It seems like there are more and more netflix shows out, and I've enjoyed a lot of the ones I've already seen. Everytime I scroll through I find a series I haven't seen but I like to get a feel for other peoples opinions and a lot of them don't have threads.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There's a catch-all streaming services thread in CD.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the problem with a thread like that is there really isn't a set "Netflix" show so it would be kind of all over the place. There is a thread that's supposed to be about streaming shows but nobody posts in it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Do we have a Netflix shows thread? It seems like there are more and more netflix shows out, and I've enjoyed a lot of the ones I've already seen. Everytime I scroll through I find a series I haven't seen but I like to get a feel for other peoples opinions and a lot of them don't have threads.
PYF: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683452
TVIV: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780770
CD has one too.

Edited because I'm an idiot.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't know, I think the episode was more ambiguous about whether the dance worked or not. It was meant to open a hole to another dimension. It didn't. It distracted the gunman long enough, due to sheer goofiness, that a cafeteria worker was able to take him down. The OA got shot, and all of her friends end the season confused and upset.

I also think the show could be pretty funny at times, like the sequence at the petrol station in episode seven. But I guess that's subjective?

Whether it actually worked may be ambiguous, but her followers clearly and unambiguously believe it did.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Taboo is going to be the show of 2017. Calling it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1fiijqrKuc

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'm on S2 of Mozart in the Jungle and I like it a lot, it's smooth like eating Pringles, and they could have made the maestro be "BBC's Sherlock but with music" and I'm glad they didn't, I'm tired of second hand embarrassment even on behalf of fictional characters.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Taboo is going to be the show of 2017. Calling it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1fiijqrKuc

So excited for this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Trevor Noah's book is real good. Listening to him do the audio thing now. I'm on the verge of liking him more than The Stew.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DrVenkman posted:

That's the one. Kurt Fuller was the increasingly weird coroner and was great. I always found the show comfort viewing, but the last two seasons were legitimately hard to get through.

Ah, okay. I never knew his actual name, I thought you were talking about the Sons of Anarchy guy for a minute. Yeah, Psych definitely ran a couple seasons longer than it should've. I think Maggie Lawson going for that short lived baseball show also threw a wrench into things plot wise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

Fuller played the coroner in Psych. Woody, I think his name was.

Although someone liking him is bizarre because he was a big part of the increasing cartooniness that brought the show down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
I figure this is as good a place as any to ask: is there an easy way of removing things from my Netflix 'continue watching' list? Only thing I've been able to sometimes get to work is just starting something on the list and fast forwarding to the last 2-3 minutes and let it play out. If I go to the last 30 seconds it doesn't do anything though. So kinda annoying.

• Locked thread