Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Wait...the falling damage applies underwater?

Sometimes you can clip through your base (or the cyclops apparently) and the game bugs and it's as if the water isn't there for you. It's fixed by going in and out of a base door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cojawfee posted:

Was there anything useful there in the first place? A bunch of those stupid spider things. A useless cave. Not much else.

A bunch of lithium you don't have to dive for, bulbo trees to take samples from, basalt.

I wish they wouldn't remove tech fragments you've already got the blueprints for (although propulsion cannon fragments seem to stick around). It makes wreck exploring a lot less interesting as you go along, and I don't think the titanite it would give you would be game breaking. It would do a lot to enable making interesting bases without so much tedious mining.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh! Did they get rid of the blueprint scans of things you've already found?

That'd be great. Tired of thinking something useful is over out of the way only to find out it's something I already had and don't need to bloat my inventory with titanite.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not that I know of? I still find stuff I've already scanned and it still breaks down into 2 titanium, still a useful source of titanium.

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah, that's the point. It was a unique natural feature with unique life forms (those birds) and cool towers to climb and felt like this little niche of surface life desperately clinging to a few isolated fingers of rock poking above the water with no greater purpose. It was cool and evocative and thematic and that was all.

Now it's just the place where the plot important alien facility lives, that you will probably uncover when the game directs you to go there. It no longer exists as an opportunity to discover something surprising on the planet your own, now it's just another stop on the theme park ride. Now it's boring.

Your complaint is literally "I used to like the island before it went mainstream."

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
When I'm looking for the last fragment I need to make the Moonpool, 2 Titanium is not a very good consolation prize. It is an ok source of titanium but it pales in comparison to being able to make a key structure/thing.
Especially after the 5th time.

As for the mountain island, it is a neato place but I'm glad there's more to it now. Climbing up it to find nothing I didn't already have a locker full of kind of killed my enthusiasm for it. Especially since the 'sweet view' aspect is only the Aurora, water, and mid-air junk :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

OwlFancier posted:

Your complaint is literally "I used to like the island before it went mainstream."

Thats a pretty fuckin stupid misreading of what I said.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Thats a pretty fuckin stupid misreading of what I said.

You can still find it on your own, you only get pointed there if you fully explore the aurora and download the data from the end of it.

It's still interesting to explore, even moreso because it now has more things to find on it and particularly more unique things on it.

All of the geography is still there, and more to the point you already found it, you know it's there.

Complaining that it's ruined from a hypothetical new player perspective because it has some plot relevance and because the signal that points you there is now hidden in the aurora rather than randomly scattered around on the seabed in multiple copies is kind of silly.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 18, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I get that you dont get it.

It was just my favorite of the "natural features" in the game and it kind of sucks that it isnt that anymore, thats all. Or at least as much as its probably possible for your to understand.

Edit: these last couple posts were actually some pretty lovely posting on my part, and lovely posting is not excused by lovely mischaracterizations, so sorry about that.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 18, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GlyphGryph posted:

I get that you dont get it.

It was just my favorite of the "natural features" in the game and it kind of sucks that it isnt that anymore, thats all. Or at least as much as its probably possible for your to understand.

Edit: you are probably gonna be stupud and argue that its still a natural feature, if you feel so inclined just forget it because wow

I disagree with you.

Pfft, plebe you understand as much as you are ABLE. Stupid.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I am not really a survival games person but I love the concept of having to live in the ocean in a submarine base. Is it in a state where it's worth buying as a new survival game player, or should I wait til its out of early access? I'm probably gonna wait til the steam sale to actually get it but I'm wild about the idea of this game.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
As someone who started it a while back, but is itching to play it again, I'm going to wait till its finished.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

fast cars loose anus posted:

I am not really a survival games person but I love the concept of having to live in the ocean in a submarine base. Is it in a state where it's worth buying as a new survival game player, or should I wait til its out of early access? I'm probably gonna wait til the steam sale to actually get it but I'm wild about the idea of this game.

I hate hardcore survival games and I think this game is great. It has a basic survival system but nothing that is going make the game too tedious or bullshit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It starts out as a survival game. Once you get a base built up, it turns into an exploration game.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Viperix posted:

As someone who started it a while back, but is itching to play it again, I'm going to wait till its finished.

Similar. I'll probably wait another patch or so. I took a break around the time they started mixing in timers and was getting kind of frustrated at all the fragments being moved into the wrecks, but the new features and the exosuit might make it interesting to pick up again.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fast cars loose anus posted:

I'd grab it off the next sale, and then wait until the Terraforming Patch to start playing. It's coming any day now, and it should make the game a lot less glitchy, but it'll invalidate saves.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

endlessmonotony posted:

I'd grab it off the next sale, and then wait until the Terraforming Patch to start playing. It's coming any day now, and it should make the game a lot less glitchy, but it'll invalidate saves.

Dyz posted:

I hate hardcore survival games and I think this game is great. It has a basic survival system but nothing that is going make the game too tedious or bullshit.

Viperix posted:

Cojawfee posted:

It starts out as a survival game. Once you get a base built up, it turns into an exploration game.

Okan170 posted:

Similar. I'll probably wait another patch or so. I took a break around the time they started mixing in timers and was getting kind of frustrated at all the fragments being moved into the wrecks, but the new features and the exosuit might make it interesting to pick up again.

Thanks for the replies :) I'll pick it up on sale and then wait for the big patch so that I don't have to ruin a save.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

OwlFancier posted:

Not that I know of? I still find stuff I've already scanned and it still breaks down into 2 titanium, still a useful source of titanium.

Fragments that have already been loaded are still there and can be scanned for titanium, but when it initially loads wrecks it removes fragments that you already have blueprints for. So early wrecks will be full of stuff, but later ones will be empty unless you had previously gotten close enough for them to load (which is unlikely for ones like Underwater Islands, Mountain, Sea Treader's Path, Koosh, Dunes, or the second Grand Reef wreck). So you can't access a bunch of wrecks early on, and later there's no point in doing so. The result is large swathes of territory where there's never much reason to visit if you know what's out there, and a series of massive disappointments if you don't. Who wants to scour the Dunes with all its reapers just to plink at a few outcrops? A trove of titanium is at least a decent consolation prize, and a reason to keep a storage unit or two on your seamoth.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't find Seabase 2 is it still in the game or was it removed when it was pushed to stable?

e:nvm, I had to start a new game for the new things :(

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 19, 2016

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
How well did they address the generic survival game grind that they posted about? Curious how much daylight is between them checking it off and how it actually feels in this update.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FadedReality posted:

How well did they address the generic survival game grind that they posted about? Curious how much daylight is between them checking it off and how it actually feels in this update.

My girlfriend just started the game today, and had to check with me where to find a few things that she wanted, but on the whole she seems to enjoy her play through very much. She hates wandering aimlessly, but she also has an excellent sense of direction. I know for a fact there's nothing agressive in your spawning zone, and I've had a lot of fun trolling around caves. Loot seems pretty readily available. The good Wrecks are on places that you're eventually led too, and the decent but not necessary loot is spread about. Everytime you find something it stands out and is awesome.

These guys are also pretty brilliant updating to get a lot of buzz a week before it goes on sale.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Aww... There's no point to having the Seamoth anymore is there when you got a upgraded PRAWN suit? I assumed the whole time that i would be able to dock both in the Cyclops, but since you have to chose i can't see any reason to ever NOT take the PRAWN suit. If i could dock both i could use the SM as a fun and nimble explorer at least.

edit: i think the most cathartic experience i've had in this game is grappling onto a big baddie and drilling it to death

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

Aww... There's no point to having the Seamoth anymore is there when you got a upgraded PRAWN suit? I assumed the whole time that i would be able to dock both in the Cyclops, but since you have to chose i can't see any reason to ever NOT take the PRAWN suit. If i could dock both i could use the SM as a fun and nimble explorer at least.

edit: i think the most cathartic experience i've had in this game is grappling onto a big baddie and drilling it to death

The Seamoth was basically doomed to eventual forced irrelevance as soon as it was clear it would only have a fraction of the max depth of both the Cyclops and the Suit, regardless of it's utility and "You can only bring ONE!".

Speaking of Max Depth. I'm hoping by now they fixed the game glitching out and applying crush depth damage to your docked seamoth when you drive your cyclops farther than it can handle. That's been dealt with, right?

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Seamoth is for doing quick, shallow titanium runs because you need 10,000 bits of it to build pressure commentators and other doodads.

And last I played you get crush depth warnings for your docked sub in the Cyclops but it didn't actually get crushed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dongattack posted:

Seamoth is faster and better at getting back up out of places that it has gone down into. There's less point in taking it in the Cyclops, but on its own it's much more flexible.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Paracelsus posted:

Seamoth is faster and better at getting back up out of places that it has gone down into. There's less point in taking it in the Cyclops, but on its own it's much more flexible.

It's also better for GTFO-ing non electric things with it's defense field. That and it's speed make it great for 'loot n' scoot' runs of whatever you need that it can get to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The seamoth I think if you upgraded it would be quite useful for getting to and from the very helpfully placed plateu in the lost river with the thermal vents which basically screams "set up a base on me!"

As one of the entrances is quite hard to fit the cyclops into.

You can also pack three different storage modules onto it I believe, two on the back and one on the side.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

The seamoth I think if you upgraded it would be quite useful for getting to and from the very helpfully placed plateu in the lost river with the thermal vents which basically screams "set up a base on me!"

As one of the entrances is quite hard to fit the cyclops into.

You can also pack three different storage modules onto it I believe, two on the back and one on the side.

You have to give up cool modules for storage space though :sigh: I do like always having one though. A spare power cell and beacon outside of your inventory are always nice. Just wish it was more practical/possible to reach that spare inventory while it was parked. You can kinda reach lower pods, but upper storage pods are just hosed when docked in the cyclops.

That reminds me, I still wish the depth modules had their own extra slot. Essentially you only have three upgrade spaces for your ride because it's not like you can skip the depth module unless you are only planning on using it for near surface taxi runs.

The fact you said "You can pack three storage modules" makes me wonder if I missed some patch dedicating one of the four slots to the depth upgrade. Or if it's just the "Well... Gotta have that depth module" talking.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You can pack all four slots with storage modules, if you want to forego the depth module. 64 slots is a lot of space, but basically the only reason I can think of that I would do this is scouring the shallower biomes for metal salvage.

e: also, I reserve one of my 3 cargo bays for mission equipment; propulsion cannon, spare tank, extra beacons, a power cell and two batteries, two medkits, at least one salted fish and a bottle of water.

Unless I'm going to be dodging reapers, this is great for rapid-ish exploration of areas and marking of significant sites. I'm only on my second playthrough so there are still several areas I haven't been through much, and I've found a few new wrecks since restarting after the patch.

Obviously if I'm going out into Reaper country I'm going to want to bring a drill or punchy arm along on my shrimp suit.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 24, 2016

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

You can pack all four slots with storage modules, if you want to forego the depth module. 64 slots is a lot of space, but basically the only reason I can think of that I would do this is scouring the shallower biomes for metal salvage.

e: also, I reserve one of my 3 cargo bays for mission equipment; propulsion cannon, spare tank, extra beacons, a power cell and two batteries, two medkits, at least one salted fish and a bottle of water.

Unless I'm going to be dodging reapers, this is great for rapid-ish exploration of areas and marking of significant sites. I'm only on my second playthrough so there are still several areas I haven't been through much, and I've found a few new wrecks since restarting after the patch.

Obviously if I'm going out into Reaper country I'm going to want to bring a drill or punchy arm along on my shrimp suit.

If you're docking the prawn with the cyclops you can just use the cyclops lockers to store your survival stuff. You can always build more if you need them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dyz posted:

If you're docking the prawn with the cyclops you can just use the cyclops lockers to store your survival stuff. You can always build more if you need them.

What are the tips and tricks to be able to reach all storage pods on vehicles while they are docked, instead of just certain positions? I remember issues with the Seamoth upper locations, but I forget if the Cyclops never suffered that snag or not.

As for ship storage itself? I always build some fresh lockers ASAP anyways. The "free" lockers have 2x horizontal storage that can't even fit a spare seaglide by the airlock :v:

EDIT: Speaking of larger than average objects, that reminds me. I really wish the floating lockers took up less inventory space because it's not like we can take them with us if anything is inside them. Just wish they were more polished in general, really.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 24, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

You have to give up cool modules for storage space though :sigh: I do like always having one though. A spare power cell and beacon outside of your inventory are always nice. Just wish it was more practical/possible to reach that spare inventory while it was parked. You can kinda reach lower pods, but upper storage pods are just hosed when docked in the cyclops.

That reminds me, I still wish the depth modules had their own extra slot. Essentially you only have three upgrade spaces for your ride because it's not like you can skip the depth module unless you are only planning on using it for near surface taxi runs.

The fact you said "You can pack three storage modules" makes me wonder if I missed some patch dedicating one of the four slots to the depth upgrade. Or if it's just the "Well... Gotta have that depth module" talking.

I say three because there are three different spots on the model for adding more lockers, and depending where you put them you get extra lockers. I guess the fourth just makes one of them bigger? I've never tried.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Section Z posted:

What are the tips and tricks to be able to reach all storage pods on vehicles while they are docked, instead of just certain positions? I remember issues with the Seamoth upper locations, but I forget if the Cyclops never suffered that snag or not.

As for ship storage itself? I always build some fresh lockers ASAP anyways. The "free" lockers have 2x horizontal storage that can't even fit a spare seaglide by the airlock :v:

EDIT: Speaking of larger than average objects, that reminds me. I really wish the floating lockers took up less inventory space because it's not like we can take them with us if anything is inside them. Just wish they were more polished in general, really.

For the seamoth, idk, but if I remember right you can access the prawn from the docking station above. I usually just move to a safe location before loading and drop the cehicle anyways.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How do you deal with the biggest carnivores at this stage in development? I'm parked in my Cyclops looking at the Sea Dragon Leviathan and it's kinda hovering around where i need to go outside. And it's basically the first huge and hostile creature i've had to deal with (only seen a reaper in the far foggy distance so far, been lucky i think).

Sidenote: Holy poo poo its so beautiful, rarely has a game been able to create a creature where instantly the first word that comes to mind when seeing it is "magnificent". I spent most of the 48 hours played on this save so far worrying about it (and the reapers), how scary it was gonna be and what hosed up sounds it was gonna make. However its just awestriking and making some soothing crooning sounds. I'm sure its not as pleasant when it attacks tho. Reapers are far more scary so far.

edit: lol yes, i jumped out in my PRAWN suit and now its clearly screaming some hosed up obscenities at me

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 25, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

OwlFancier posted:

I say three because there are three different spots on the model for adding more lockers, and depending where you put them you get extra lockers. I guess the fourth just makes one of them bigger? I've never tried.

As of right now, there are four locker hardpoints on the moth, two out on the wing-ish projections and two on the upper body area, one on each side. Each provides a 4x4 block of inventory slots, and their locations on the sub paper doll correspond to which position they'll show up in.

As for accessing them while docked in the Cyclops, I can't see a way to accomplish that without, say, a ladder. My general approach when operating with the PRAWN has been to park near the Cyclops, swim in to dump my personal inventory, then swim back out to empty the suit's before I dock it. I apparently have a pretty high tolerance for this type of inventory management.

Dyz posted:

Yeah I had kind of assumed that, in the event storage space was an issue, the Cyclops wasn't in play. My post-update save is only like 11 hours old, pretty sure I was in the middle of wreck diving in order to find the last few fragments I need for it.

Everything else has definitely been easier to find. I had the equipment modification station before I assembled the resources for my PRAWN, and for the first time the propulsion cannon before I made my first trip out to the Aurora to shore up the reactor and get the seamoth poo poo. Definitely seems like there's a seaglide fragment in every single small-cargo-box-with-one-open-side in the Shoals and Kelp Forests, which is Cool and Good.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dongattack posted:

How do you deal with the biggest carnivores at this stage in development? I'm parked in my Cyclops looking at the Sea Dragon Leviathan and it's kinda hovering around where i need to go outside.

Put on infinite health cheats sometime and screw around wrestling a leviathan with the PRAWN suit. You'll fear them less overall and realize how much you can do with one near.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a locker on the side with the upgrade panel? Where does it go? Doesn't the panel get in the way?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

There's a locker on the side with the upgrade panel? Where does it go? Doesn't the panel get in the way?

With the Seamoth, the "front" cargo pods get put on the outer edges, essentially it will be directly below the mods panel. While it switches to your PDA opening them, you also have just enough time to see the opening flap clip through the little extendo bridge in the Moonpool.

In hindsight, I was probably thinking of being able to change the power cell while the Seamoth was docked :saddowns: (Prawn is poo poo out of luck if you'd rather quickly pop in fresh cells rather than wait for them to charge from docking). I coulda sworn I was able to just barely access the front pods before if I pointed my camera just right, maybe I was just getting lucky with glitches before.

Either way, really hoping they add some common sense ease of use for our docked vehicles so we can readily access their inventories and power cells while docked. Rather than just shrug and say "corporate lowest bidder did it. Also some of our players claim it adds challenge and immersion to have to eject their vehicles into shark infested waters in order to load their torpedoes."

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Dongattack posted:

How do you deal with the biggest carnivores at this stage in development? I'm parked in my Cyclops looking at the Sea Dragon Leviathan and it's kinda hovering around where i need to go outside. And it's basically the first huge and hostile creature i've had to deal with (only seen a reaper in the far foggy distance so far, been lucky i think).

Sidenote: Holy poo poo its so beautiful, rarely has a game been able to create a creature where instantly the first word that comes to mind when seeing it is "magnificent". I spent most of the 48 hours played on this save so far worrying about it (and the reapers), how scary it was gonna be and what hosed up sounds it was gonna make. However its just awestriking and making some soothing crooning sounds. I'm sure its not as pleasant when it attacks tho. Reapers are far more scary so far.

edit: lol yes, i jumped out in my PRAWN suit and now its clearly screaming some hosed up obscenities at me

Wait... crooning sounds?

You're talking about this guy right?

https://youtu.be/HSq7k26LoS4

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I bet he's talking about a reefback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Nah, it was the sea dragon, but the sounds were getting muted because of distance and the cyclops. Once I stepped outside it was pure nightmare :cry: