Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
God rest ye merry, gentlegoons
Let nothing you dismay
Remember, Crob our Saviour
Was born on Crobmas day
To save us all from Derek's power
When are we gonna play
O tidings of cumfart and joy,
Cumfart and joy
O tidings of cumfart and joy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Baxta posted:

This is what I mean. Thats kind of the only explanation thats been given as if its as simple as that. It's really really not.

I get that they can both use the same libraries. Thats ok. How does "star engine" seamlessly work with Lumberyard though? If star engine was so completely different from cryengine, are they then using lumberyard as the new base and referencing their own libraries in some other branch? Are they just starting from scratch and using some other 2.6 branch and ditching their previous stuff? How can this be anything other than bullshit?!

I'd you are still confuse then put it this way in evolutionary perspective

CryEngine = dinosaur
Lumberyard = bird
Star engine = fish

So basically Lumberyard and star engine are both the same

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Baxta posted:

I get that they can both use the same libraries. Thats ok. How does "star engine" seamlessly work with Lumberyard though? If star engine was so completely different from cryengine, are they then using lumberyard as the new base and referencing their own libraries in some other branch? Are they just starting from scratch and using some other 2.6 branch and ditching their previous stuff? How can this be anything other than bullshit?!

This makes me think the 64-bit precision was all bullshit. :ohdear:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

As opposed to the current model of Fee to Pray.

:perfect:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

D_Smart posted:

No. Again, you're not getting it.

This is what my tweet said. It has nothing to do with gains or losses; but rather the fact that, regardless of how small (probably insignificant, given the amount of money AWS makes for Amazon) the CIG payments to AWS are, it's still money from Shitizens, which eventually go to my AMZ portfolio holdings.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/812718683323793408
Dr. Smart, thank you for the clarification and education on the subject. Also Merry Christmas to you and I wish you a prosperous New Years!

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
No more blockers just logjams.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Baxta posted:

This is what I mean. Thats kind of the only explanation thats been given as if its as simple as that. It's really really not.

According to Ben over at Frontier, and who is allegedly shilling for CIG, the actual change is a simple comparison between the CryEngine base code used (before forking to Star Engine) and Lumberyard, which seemed to have a base code similar to that CryEngine base. Apparently the differences are small enough that all it takes is reconciling those minor differences. 2 engineers a couple days worth of work.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 25, 2016

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Dooguk posted:

No more blockers just logjams.

Dem giant beavers!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

EminusSleepus posted:

Dem giant beavers!

See you in the 'beaverse.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Baxta posted:

Probably the same way Call of Duty ran on a variant of the Quake 3 engine for ages. (By that I mean they probably didn't change much of any core code, they just figured out how to do more poo poo with what was already there, wrote a few functions to handle that and called it a day). At least up until some of the later iterations of the series. From what I hear from the few devs who have looked at it, Lumberyard is just Cryengine with a new name. I could be and probably am wrong, but then I can't recall what new features Lumberyard boasts that devs are very happy with and want to let me know about, either.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EminusSleepus posted:

CryEngine = dinosaur
Lumberyard = bird
Star engine = fish

Are you familiar with a little fish called exocoetidae? Check and mate, goonie. :smuggo:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

Are you B'tak?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Oh, also, according to Reddit, the 2.6 patch somehow magically made all the prior code changes (like the 64 bit positioning and the 50% replaced code base and everything else) magically resolve themselves.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

Oh, also, according to Reddit, the 2.6 patch somehow magically made all the prior code changes (like the 64 bit positioning and the 50% replaced code base and everything else) magically resolve themselves.

Are you familiar with a little thing called patches? Check and mate, goonie.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
My friend wants to see the missiles sold for irl money, but i can't figure out how to navigate their store and i can't find it. Anyone got a link to them?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

orcinus posted:

Are you familiar with a little thing called patches? Check and mate, goonie.

I asked him if he knew how unbalanced he sounds.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Are you familiar with a little fish called exocoetidae? Check and mate, goonie. :smuggo:

That is mother nature handling the code merging

But since this is crobits we are talking about I would think it would end up like this

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

hanales posted:

You're bad at math and posting.

That might be true, yes, but at least I'm not the guy who posted over a thousand times about reddit and bad space game instead of enjoying the company of family and hanging out with friends.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Congratulations epic star bad game stalk thread for making over a thousand posts on christmas. This finally proves to me you're all really normal chill and not obsessive hosed up weirdos at all.

Bears re congratulating.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

ArfJason posted:

That might be true, yes, but at least I'm not the guy who posted over a thousand times about reddit and bad space game instead of enjoying the company of family and hanging out with friends.

I don't think sperg citizens have real friends

Case In point = B'tak

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 25, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I can't believe that creature is real.

Also I hope to see Chris Roberts this weekend in Arena Commander!!!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Decrepus posted:

I can't believe that creature is real.

Obviously you know nothing about species development.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

D_Smart posted:

No matter how they spin it; this is bad. And I warned (just weeks ago) about something big coming by year end and which backers need to be prepared for. I just couldn't talk about it because it would put people at risk since only a few people knew about this. I am on vacation with only access to mobile; so I can't find the tweet. But search my feed, it's in there. I am writing a new blog about this when I come back, that's why I am not saying much now because then the blog would be pointless.

This is a few pages back but derek that isn't how secrets work.

You can't make a general blanket claim that something is going to happen sometime, then when something happens go "See? This is what I was talking about but I couldn't say anything because only a few people knew"

Because you know what that would do? The same exact thing as if you had released the information. It gets out that the small group of people that knew about it are your sources.

There is zero reason to not release the information if you are going to retroactively burn your sources, so it just looks like you are making poo poo up wholesale.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Because you know what that would do? The same exact thing as if you had released the information. It gets out that the small group of people that knew about it are your sources.

that's what I thought as well, but maybe he's just trolling and trying to increase paranoia. whatever.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Our Lord would never lie to us, especially not on Chrismas day.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

MeLKoR posted:

Our Lord would never lie to us, especially not on Chrismas day.

Star Citizen: A Christmas Miracle.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I'm not saying he is lying but if in two weeks he is going to go "I knew THIS was happening, see my vague generalized claims, but couldn't say anything because if anyone knew that I knew, the small group of people that knew would have been burned as sources!!! Which i just did anyway to try and tell everyone about my advance knowledge of privileged information"

cut to the loving chase and just say whatever it is, right now, if you are going to do that.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 25, 2016

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

Baxta posted:

Imagine CryEngine as a kidney, StarEngine as a tumor and Lumberyard as kidnery stones. So they all start as a regular kidney. Amazon takes this kidney and gives it kidney stones. Roberto takes the same kidney and develops a malignant neoplasia around it called StarEngine. Now all he had to do was add kidney stones to the adenocarcinoma that is StarEngine, and all it takes is a day and a couple of devs.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

when will the mocap reshoots begin? or are they already done and in the game?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
LOL..
Just saw the "croberts" forum post. So I wondered...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/comments/5/croberts68

It isn't a croberts post, someone else wrote that.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Hopper posted:

There is no way this wasn't written by a real marketing pro. Crobbers is unable to provide more than 2 paragraphs without rambling. He surely never would be able to bullshit this much so eloquently...

alf_pogs posted:

either chris hasnt been snorting cocaine for the past year straight or that was written by someone else

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Dongattack posted:

My friend wants to see the missiles sold for irl money, but i can't figure out how to navigate their store and i can't find it. Anyone got a link to them?

Their site is confusing as gently caress. The page where you buy ingame weapon mounts and weapons is all in UEC. The only way to get UEC is to go up to store and choose "Game Credits" where you can buy packs of them. All packs are in 1,000 = 1$ for me.

Enjoy your 8$ weapon mounts and 70$ missiles. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/voyager-direct/weapons

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Truga posted:

LOL..
Just saw the "croberts" forum post. So I wondered...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/comments/5/croberts68

It isn't a croberts post, someone else wrote that.

Hop over to the "discussions" tab in his profile, not the "comments" one.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
oh, rip

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

EminusSleepus posted:

CryEngine = dinosaur
Lumberyard = bird
Star engine = fish

Wait but that means StarEngine came first :psyduck:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

nnnotime posted:

Dr. Smart, thank you for the clarification and education on the subject. Also Merry Christmas to you and I wish you a prosperous New Years!

Thanks! And to you as well!

Merry Christmas everyone!

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/812741904085422080

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Merry Christmas D-Smart.

You brought us many jolly presents this year.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

BeefThief posted:

when will the mocap reshoots begin? or are they already done and in the game?

They're working on implementing a digital mocap studio somewhere in the PU so they can re-do the mocap IN-WORLD for maximum fidelity.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Thanks! And to you as well!

Merry Christmas everyone!

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/812741904085422080

Oh man Sunset Key is gorgeous. Good spearfishing down there too if you get far enough off the beach.

Merry Christmas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

derek smart can you stream yourself ranting about this game and its community tomorrow afternoon? tia