Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Pyro Jack posted:

Dashing Neckbeasts is the best name for a F.O.E. ever. I don't care what anyone else says.

Dashing Neckbeards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I was going to say, 'Dashing Neckbeasts' made me imagine a giraffe dressed as, I dunno, the better class of pirate or Prince Vorkken or something.

So dashing!

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
:allears: Genetta is truly the craziest cat lady.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Spielmeister posted:

:allears: Genetta is truly the craziest cat lady.

But, she's a bunny girl.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 10: Something Important Happens

My my, but that is a beautiful cello. How in the world did you make it?
Monster parts.
Dare I ask what monster parts?
The structure is made out of various Golem chips, while the strings are from Ropers.
I-I can make instruments too! ...Kinda.
That is quite possibly the saddest-looking horn I've ever seen. What does it sound like?
This!
...Dosen, dear, perhaps you should stick to making medicine...

We begin with junk.

Plasma Fist (+54 ATK, +49 MATK, Lightning-Drawing Finger, Bronze x4) is made from 1 Bent Volt-Horn (Lightning Squirrel conditional).

Zhen Tian Fei Pao (+39 ATK, +40 MATK, INT Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 2 Rat's Tailspines (Lightning Squirrel normal).

Leather Vest (+22 DEF, +22 MDEF) is made from 1 Rat's Tailspine (Lightning Squirrel normal).

Chemise (+16 DEF, +24 MDEF) is made from 4 Triangular Kitten Ears (Caracal normal).

Volt Charm (+30% volt resistance) is made from 3 Rat's Tailspines (Lightning Squirrel normal).

There's an event I needed Animal Husbandry for here, so I brought Dosen along.

As you navigate the treacherous rocky path, you come across a lone bird, covered in black feathers, by a small pond. Perhaps it's been separated from its flock, but it moves up to you with no sign of fear.
Hm? You're quite friendly, aren't you? ...Or, well, at least not hostile.
What sort of monster is this that doesn't attack us on sight?
Pretty sure a book I read said this is a cormorant.
An expert in animals, Dosen informs you that this is probably a Labyrinth Cormorant, a kind of bird native to the Labyrinth. Apparently they hunt fish in the Labyrinth. It squawks hungrily at you. If you have any fish, it wouldn't hurt to offer one to the cormorant.
Please get rid of some of these fish. We've had them for ages and they're just wasting space.
As you offer the fish, the bird shows a look of great surprise before joyfully swallowing it whole! It then flaps its wings and flies out of sight. You feel warm and fuzzy inside, and return to exploring.

This is the first in a sequence of events, and we'll see the next part on 7F.

So, who wants to go inform the drunk that we did the opposite of what he asked?
Ooh, ooh, let me, I've got a lotta words for him.

Insert Insulting Name: Bwuh! You guys?! So how'd it go? Did you get that mangy cur?!
We healed it. To spite you!
Insert Insulting Name: What?! D-D-Did I hear that right? Y-You ignored the request and helped it?!
Your hearing's apparently the only good thing you have!
Insert Insulting Name: That thing ruined my plans! If it'd just stayed in that cage, I could've sold it off for who knows how much!
You WHAT?!
Insert Insulting Name: That's...that's... Unforgivable! I'll make you bastards regret getting in my way! I'll remember this!
Yeah, try it! I've got years of acrobatics training and a bunch of swords with your name on them!
Jana, please. Let's just report to Melina.

Good work. The client was shouting so loudly I could hear your whole conversation from over here. I'm going to mark you as having completed the request. Maybe you didn't, technically, but you were satisfied with the result, right?
Not entirely.
Majority rules.
As far as I'm concerned, that's what counts. If you start compromising on your values like that, you'll ruin yourself sooner or later. Best to just keep a clear conscience. Oh, and you can forget what the client said about making you regret it. Handling that sort of trouble is just another part of my job.
...Oh.
What, you thought I was just a pretty face? Anyway, here's your reward. Normally I'd be collecting it from the client, but this one's from me. It's not a big deal, don't worry about it. Once again, good work.

Alexis learns Glutton because why not.

Flicker's now level 4.

Kaelin learns Self Study.

And Magda learns Glutton too.

As you walk through the rocky Labyrinth, you discover a blue flower blooming on the cliff face to the north. As you stop to admire the flower growing in the dry soil, you consider stopping to rest here.
I don't see why not.
I can see why not: we just got back to the floor no less than three minutes ago.
Eh, what's the harm?
You decide to take a rest near the flower. Your party spread out to sit where they please: some gazing at the flower, and some closing their eyes as they rest.

Suddenly though, Jana lets out a small yelp! Looking closely, they seem to have a small bug crawling on the back of their hand.
That's the harm.

Alexis, who knows Labyrinth Search Skills, recognizes it as a pygmy scorpion possessing a powerful venom! It's known for reacting to sudden movements by stinging.
Do not move. Just stay calm, and sit still...
Alexis calmly explains that it's unlikely to pose a threat as long as you stay perfectly still until it leaves.
Euuuugh...
As soon as they're told that, Jana desperately tries to keep still while staring at the scorpion. The scorpion, seemingly satisfied with simply crossing their hand, eventually steps back onto the dirt. As you watch it disappear among the rocks, you all breathe out a sigh of relief. Once again reminded of the dangers of the Labyrinth, you return to exploring.

This event can change based on whether the scorpion's target knows Labyrinth Search Skills--they automatically sit still. Otherwise, if no-one knows the skill, you can still have the character sit still, but the game doesn't tell you that it's the right option beforehand.

"Venomous scorpion

You were surprised by a venomous scorpion, but managed to stay calm and let it pass by."

Good, don't hurt the baby.

(Obtained Amrita.)

Glorious.

Another Yggdrasil Key door.

(Received 1 Syrupy Resin naturally, 1 Strong and Thin Branch from Alexis, and 2 Strong and Thin Branches from Cecil.)

7F, F3 Chop Point
  • Strong and Thin Branch. 26% chance. Sells for 60 en.
    • 1 needed to make Pilgrim's Staff (+32 ATK, +50 MATK, VIT Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 1 Neckbeast Fur (Dashing Neckbeast) and 1 Strong and Thin Branch needed to make Killing Shot (+45 ATK, +44 MATK, Risk Perception, Silver x3).
    • 2 Pudding Cores and 2 Strong and Thin Branches needed to make Pudding Glove (+10 DEF, +13 MDEF).
  • Syrupy Resin. 60% chance. Sells for 70 en.
    • 1 needed to make War Scythe (+41 ATK, +41 MATK, AGI Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 3 needed to make Resin Targe (+16 DEF, +7 MDEF).
  • Twisting Root. 14% chance. Sells for 350 en.
    • 1 needed to make Springy Sandal (+8 DEF, +18 MDEF, +5 AGI).
  • Ambush Chance: 3%

And that's the floor.

We're not going back to town. There's something important we need to see first.

What.

Just as you're getting used to seeing nothing but towers of rock, you enter a vast room. Apparently something dreadfully large lives here, based on the footprints and collapsed pillars deeper in the room.
My self-preservation instinct is screaming that we should use an Ariadne Thread RIGHT NOW.
No. Let's see what's making this ruckus...
As you explore further into the room, you soon hear the thundering footsteps of whatever that something is!

...Ah.

Emerging from behind the the rocky cliff is a terrible demon beast far larger than any you've seen before! The earth itself trembles beneath its very footsteps, and its fearsome aura sends shivers down your spine. ...You should probably report this to the Council before you go any further.

Meet the Oliphant, whose name, I am told, is a Lord of the Rings reference. Remember Wyvern in EO1/U and Salamox/Salamander in EO2/U? Same thing with Oliphant--8F "midboss" who will absolutely slaughter us if we even think about taking him on before finishing the game.

NOW we go back to town.

I've been meaning to ask--exactly who cleans our rooms while we're out exploring?
Whaddawhat, you wanna know who does the cleaning? That'd be my little sister.
Hmph. More of you?
Yes folks, you heard correctly; Miss Genetta is not in the possession of just an older sister, but she also has a younger one! We are an indomitable trio; my sunny personality greets the guests and does the cooking, our littlest cleans, and our eldest handles the business end of things. It is a wonderful partnership!
That does sound like an efficient process, yes.
Well, my older sister does kinda take all our money and go out drinking...every night...and only comes home about a third of the time...
...Oh.

Have you heard the rumors?
There's tons of 'em, which one are you talking about?
Apparently there's this huge elephant on the 8th Floor, I mean like HUGE, the earth shakes just from it taking a step!
Yes, yes, we've met it already. What is your point?
Crazy. Just crazy, just think of all that leather and ivory you could get if you managed to kill it. I could arm one hundred men with that. I could arm one thousand men with that. Ten thousand might be a bit much, but man what a boon that'd be, over a thousand people armed and armored--
You seem to be forgetting that this is still a giant monster.
Oh, but wait, it's supposed to be incredibly dangerous. *sigh* The ivory eludes me...

Some final bits of junk for this update.

Pilgrim's Staff (+32 ATK, +50 MATK, VIT Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Strong and Thin Branch (2nd Stratum Chop 1).

Pudding Glove (+10 DEF, +13 MDEF) is made from 2 Pudding Cores (Pop Pudding normal) and 2 Strong and Thin Branches (2nd Stratum Chop 1).

I bought a Pilgrim's Staff for Kaelin and forged it a bit.

So you've finally made it to the 8th Floor too. Even in Aeolis, you don't see all that many truly capable explorers. But be careful. That moment when you recognize how much you've grown is also when the Labyrinth is at its most dangerous. The line between confidence and overconfidence is a thin one.

Patrons.

#1 is Hansuke again.

#2: Purple-haired lady Fencer:

Fencer: Oh, Nameless! I've heard tales of long-nosed monkeys! I hear they're liable to push over pillars in order to keep people out of their territory, and will otherwise chase you. And if you're really careless, you might even have a pillar land directly on top of you. Oh dear, that sounds rather painful.

#3: Frowning Brownie:

Brownie: Those drat Lunarians are terrible, always making a fool outta me. So there I was, tryin' to take a nap, when this Lunarian shows up and just hugs me outta nowhere! And then she tells me I'm just the right size, and honest to gods goes to freakin' sleep right then and there!
...Pfft... Ahaha...
And I thought being carried like a teddy bear was humiliating, ha!
Brownie: Always lookin' down on me... If you sympathize at all, then lend me some of your height!

Quests, yep.

#1: Fight poison with poison:

The request this time is a bit different. You'll need to go up against a monster, as always, but it's not enough to just defeat it. Here's the gist of it: an explorer came back from the second stratum, but the next morning they were feeling terrible. Apparently she had been poisoned by a giant scorpion monster. But the antidotes they sell in the market had no effect, and she's been bedridden and wracked with pain ever since.
Perhaps they should've tried one of my compounds first.
Knowing your experiments, the girl would've had all the blood in her body replaced by toxic waste.
Enough, you two.
So her guildmates came here asking for anyone who was familiar with the second stratum. Which is where you come in. I'd like you to obtain some Giant Scorpion Toxin from one of those monsters. To do that, you'll need to get close to one and stab it with this Painless Syringe.

(Obtained Painless Syringe!)

But be careful. You can't let it notice you. It'll be pretty much impossible to extract from a monster that's on guard from attacks. And one more thing. Unfortunately, you can't just kill the monster and extract the venom afterward. Apparently the venom starts to lose its toxicity the moment the scorpion dies. Got it? I'll say it again, just in case: your request this time is to extract the venom without being noticed. It may sound a bit fussy, but good luck.

This quest is fairly easy--I've already shown that I'm very capable of getting behind scorpions, when I'm not bumbling around and accidentally making a good path.

#2: Making the ultimate dress:

This request comes from a Lunarian named Thaddeus? Do you remember him? You took a request from him earlier.
Yes, we remember him.
Great. That'll make this quick. So you've heard that he's getting married, right?
His first request was because of the legend about the Sunstone and Moonstone, if I'm remembering right.
A Lunarian should know better than to put stock in old legends.
A Lunarian should also know better than to denigrate others for no reason.
YOU TWO.
Apparently he needs even more materials to make something for his wedding. Ask him yourself for the details; he should be around here somewhere.

Let's go talk to Thaddeus right now, shall we?

Thaddeus: Oh, hello, everyone. My apologies for not keeping you posted beforehand. I really do appreciate what you did for me earlier, but... well, I don't know what you've heard from the proprietor, but I find myself needing even more for the wedding, and the materials in question this time are even more difficult to obtain. As a result, I find myself in a bit of a bind, but if you've taken the request, then I feel I can rest easy. You're lifesavers. Oh, I should tell you; this time, it's some Silk Thread. It's for a wedding dress, you see. Apparently it can be obtained from the nests of the giant caterpillar monsters on the 2nd Floor.
Oh, right, the FOEs. ...Did we ever decide on a name for those?
I believe my initial description of "Crawling Venomous Bug" is sufficient.
Thaddeus: A local monster hunter informed me that they could be found...

Thaddeus: Somewhere in the region I just marked on your map. I'm sorry to bother you, but I'd really be in your debt.

Lastly, #3: The battle that surpasses twilight:

That request comes from one of the palace guards. To put it bluntly, he's challenging you to a match. I'm guessing he wants to see if the famous guild Nameless is really as tough as the rumors say, or something like that. I suppose this is the fruit of all your hard work? In a sense? Anyway, he said he'd be waiting for you near the stairs down on the 8th Floor. You can accept his challenge whenever you're ready.

There are these monkey monsters called Haughty Hermits on the 2nd Stratum. They're pretty crafty, for monsters. For one thing they never fight alone. When they're cornered, they'll even hide behind the other monsters they're working with, and use 'em as shields. Geez, I just can't see them as mere monsters.

Remus starts talking as soon as we walk in.

...I demand that you let me have an audience with Lord Remus! I am quite capable of handling the mammoth!
It's not every day that you see an explorer besides us in the Council...
You gotta admire someone that feels like they can take on something like that elephant on their own.
Oh, hello, Nameless. Has the Labyrinth treated you well?
If by "well," you mean "it just threw a giant mammoth in our path," then yes.
...What? A terrible monster in the 2nd Stratum? ...You've seen it too, then.
I haven't just seen it, I can fight it! Allow me an audience!
...I see she also possesses exceptional hearing and shouting.
There are a large number of explorers on the 2nd Stratum as of late, so we've received similar reports before. The impression I'd gotten was an enormous elephant, that makes the earth quake as it approaches. I had thought it was exaggeration by more cowardly explorers, but if people of your caliber can verify it, it must be true. ...With that in mind, the Council cannot stand idle. I'm going to put up a mission. I'd like you to take it.

"Rumbling earth

A large mammoth has been seen in the 2nd Stratum, the Oliphant. We want you to find a route through the Labyrinth that avoids having to fight it. For that purpose, you'll need to investigate its territory."

...Hah! I knew I could persuade the guards...eventually.
Uh... 'Scuse us, but who are you?
Oh, pardon my lack of manners. I am the third of seven scions of the royal family of Queensland--Princess Iseria!
That's all well and good, but you are being a nuisance. Leave us to our explorer duties.
Hmph. Well, aren't you very self-assured and rude? I have as much a right to be here as any explorer.
L-look, could we perhaps step outside for a second? I'm sure you're very capable, but the 2nd Stratum isn't a place for novice explorers...
A novice? Oh, of course, we can step outside--if only so I may lecture you on the breadth of my achievements!
...Okay, yes, that'll work.

Gods, but she's annoying.
For once, I agree.
As is becoming a trend, thank you, Nameless. Concerning the mammoth... No, well, first I should say I may have an idea of what it is. I've heard that, far to the west, in a land called Kinmeria, there were once massive, four-tusked beasts called "Oliphants." Their massive size was seen as a possible boon, and they were captured and forced into service as beasts of war. It sends chills down my spine to imagine what it must've been like to face a herd of those charging at you, the earth shaking beneath their feat... With that in mind, I'd say it's likely that the one in the Labyrinth could be aggressive, and poses an extreme threat to explorers like yourselves. As a result, we'd like you to investigate its territory, to see if we can scout out a route that avoids it.
Simple enough.

Lastly, Remus's normal dialogue.

Hmm... Oh, it's you all. I'm sorry, I was lost in thought. I've been stricken by quite a conundrum... Should I try making new cheese now, or exercise delayed gratification and start researching ways to make improvements to frying pans? Hmmmm...
A performer's only as good as the set around them, and a chef's only as good as their tools.

...What is she doing here?
Ahem, well...
After a polite discussion with Prince Alexis, I have decided to lend your guild my aid!
...In other words, you have decided to join us without discussing it with any of us.
Listen, I had my doubts when we first saw her as well, but she's actually a very capable fighter. I had her demonstrate what she knew of fencing--and she actually taught me some finer points that I had no knowledge of before.
To be fair, that is to be expected when you only have one week to learn fencing-- Actually, pardon me, but did you say earlier that you left your home kingdom to avenge a betrothed you have never met?
That's correct.
...Oh, so you're Prince Nope-Can't-Remember.
P-Prince Nope-Can't-Remember?!
Quite the fitting name.
Yes, ah... I believe we have some prior occupations to discuss.
Discuss them in your own rooms. I'm not gonna object to you joining, but just let the rest of us sleep...
Actually, Alexis informed me that the only open bed in the guild's room arrangements is yours, Magda.
...Ugh, I guess it is. Discuss it in Alexis's room, then, I'm extremely tired.

Meet our newest and last guild member, Iseria (created by alcharagia). Despite what the screenshot says (I initially created her as a Hound to make her Therian), she will be acting as our Chain Fencer, since the Chain and dodgetank Fencer skillsets are pretty mutually exclusive as far as building one character goes, but can actually combo together very well in battle.

And to close out the update, here's Iseria's full bio:

quote:

The third of seven noble sisters, Iseria is royalty of a small, matriarchal island nation whose primary export is politically arranged marriages to princesses.

Okay, actually, it's its lucrative spice trade, but the joke is there among many traders who note the frequency with which the nation's princesses are mailed out to become brides to other nations' dashing royalty. They have a lot of them, relatively speaking, and you'd be surprised how many arranged marriages suddenly fall through.

Such was the story of Iseria's marriage to a Prince Something-Or-Another, after his other betrothed died shortly before the marriage was made; King Something-Or-Another, father to the prior, had "a Dad moment, ahahaha!" and immediately went and got his son another lovely bride.

Struck hard by middle-child syndrome and hardly first in line for the throne, Iseria's patriotism yet burns hot within her soul; she dons the ancient ritualistic garb of her peoples' ancestors dating back hundreds of years at all times, and drat your sacrilege! A self-fashioned environmentalist, she has a history of disappearing for weeks at a time because she needed to take a swim off to another nearby island to "catalogue" its flora, fauna, and exactly how worth it it would be to declare it a part of their territory. She claims her all-green eye is proof positive that this is part of her lot in life.

Displeased by the marriage at first, Iseria was given the greatest of outs when Prince What's-His-Name dashed gallantly off to the Labyrinth, of all places, to avenge his prior betrothed. Iseria, ever impulsive, was shortly behind; her goal in the Labyrinth, twofold.

First! Catalogue the greatest untouched biome in the entire world, and do it in a way that nobody can deny your keen natural eye!

Second! Do not lie meekly down and become a sacrifice for another nation! Prince I-Can't-Remember would not take Iseria as his wife- she would take him as her husband, and drag him back to Queensland to take the less-vaunted-but-still-important role of Vice-Queen!* She would become Queen and guide her great nation to even greater heights, or die trying in an environmentalist's paradise!

*Vice-Queen is a gender-neutral title. "Kings" are as foreign an idea as a memorable Brownie character.

Rea fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 19, 2016

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

I have no words to describe this magnificent creature other than saying that this right here is the gently caress and I mean that in the best way possible.

This is one of the few bosses I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to fighting.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The spiked trunk is a nice touch.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Something that kind of came to mind, how well does EOV support running multiples of the same classes? It was a thing you could do in the earlier games, but it had the problem of narrowing what your party was capable of (ESPECIALLY in EO1.) Subclassing in EO3 and 4 kind of alleviated that issue, and I imagine specializations in EOV might differentiate some of the classes enough to get around it entirely?

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
How the hell did that monster get so many spiked collars for its tusks. WHY would it want that many spiked collars. That is one hell of a roadblock.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Here's a full-res render of Oliphant, for fun.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Level Seven posted:

How the hell did that monster get so many spiked collars for its tusks. WHY would it want that many spiked collars. That is one hell of a roadblock.

Remus implied that this might be one of those ones used as a war animal long ago, so it's wearing whatever its former masters chose to put on it. Remember that this tree was the site of a great war hundreds of years ago: they don't mention it every floor or anything, but that informs a lot of the plot. The Oliphant is a relic of that war, just as the Golem was a reaction to it.

I guess that also implies that it's super old, but that doesn't seem too out of place for a large animal like that.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 20, 2016

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I personally like the crown and facial hair. It's very kingly for a war animal.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Something that kind of came to mind, how well does EOV support running multiples of the same classes? It was a thing you could do in the earlier games, but it had the problem of narrowing what your party was capable of (ESPECIALLY in EO1.) Subclassing in EO3 and 4 kind of alleviated that issue, and I imagine specializations in EOV might differentiate some of the classes enough to get around it entirely?
god drat I'll let you know when it comes out over here geeeeeez

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 11: Trumpeting Intensifies

So... Lanzon, correct?
Mhm.
What are those...bubbles floating around you? Are they a magic of some sort?
I suppose you could describe them as the result of magic.
Necromantic magic, to be exact.
And who are you, Ms. Bizarre Two-Toned Hair?
I'm glad you asked! My name is Princess Iseria, third of seven--
Princess?
Hohohoho! A princess, don't make me laugh. You hardly look the part! You look more like that wannabe-Herbalist!
...This garb is storied and sacred. Perhaps you'd like to retract that comment?
We're ghosts. What could you possibly do to us?

Are we not going to observe the mammoth and find a way around it?
Doing some requests'll be a better way to ease you in.
We need to take care of them anyway.

As you enter the designated area, you sense the presence of something nearby and look around.

Nnnnnnnope, nothing to our left.

Caterpillar to our right, though.
As you do so, you find your attention caught by a lone caterpillar monster, sitting silently as if staring at you.
Very well, then. The requester wants silk thread, correct?
That's what he said, yeah.
Very well then. All we have to do is--

Hey! Do not move before we're done planning!
But before you can come up with a plan of action, the caterpillar begins to leave. You recall Thaddeus's request: there should be some silk threads back at the monster's nest. In which case, following this caterpillar may lead you to the silk. You should probably chase after it.

This special Crawler actively avoids us, and is running to a position up and to the left.

Hah! Cornered.
So, uh, I gather that our plan is to just beat up the caterpillar?
It's just a caterpillar. We were able to kill one before we toppled Golem.

Having followed it for quite a ways, you finally catch up to stopped caterpillar. Is this its nest? As you're wondering this, you suddenly become aware of an intense bloodlust coming from behind you, and turn around.

Whoops.
I haven't seen this much lack of self-preservation instinct since B decided to cross me.
At least I'll finally have other poor souls to suffer the eternal torment of being joined to A in death...

There are even more caterpillars like the one you followed!

Even the original caterpillar seems to be glaring at you with malice in its eyes. This was all a trap meant to lure humans like you into their nest! But still, this is their nest. Once you've dealt with them, you can obtain the silk and complete your request. In which case, there's no reason to retreat! You draw your weapons and prepare for battle!

En guarde, caterpillars!

We're initially thrown into a fight with just one Crawler. However, within four turns...

We're fighting four of the things at once.

There's actually not that much to say about the fight itself, but I feel like comparing different damage outputs:

Gram with level 9 Target Arrow (175% damage).

Iseria with level 9 Chain Shock (200% damage per hit).

And Lanzon with level 4 Fire Bomb (141% INT damage).

Basically, Iseria's individual Chain hits hit for about the same as everyone else (slightly above, really), but she also had the advantage of being able to hit multiple times per turn if she has other setup. Her only setup for Chain Shock right now is Gram (since everything Gram herself can do is stab damage), but loading up on some Shock Jars or other party members capable of dealing volt damage helps.

Boy! I sure do love CHAIN!!

A couple of turns later...

What an exhausting annoyance.

Even at level 20, four Crawlers could be a little bit of a threat, especially if you're relying on a dodgetank.

All the caterpillars slain, you let out your breaths and sheathe your weapons. After making sure there won't be even more reinforcements, you think back to your original objective. According to the client, the silk should be somewhere in the nest. You should investigate the area.

Incidentally, if you finish the battle before all four Crawlers join in, the rest will flee.

You begin your investigation of the caterpillar's nest.
...Okay, I know the ghosts made fun of it, but serious question: how does your hair do that two-tone thing?
I'm not sure. Why doesn't yours?

Having split up to search different areas, Lanzon suddenly lets out a voice.
Over here, loves.
They found a giant hole hidden by the brush. No doubt this is the caterpillars' burrow. With its owners gone, there no reason not to enter, and you quickly find the silk you're looking for.

(Obtained Silk Thread!)

Let's take this back to Thaddeus, shall we?

Thaddeus: Ah... Could it be you've gotten the Silk Thread already?!
Yep. Here y' go, dear.
Thaddeus: Oh, thank you so much, now I can finally make the dress, Mia will absolutely love it--
Wait, Mia? That's your...fiance, right?
Thaddeus: ...E-excuse me, I got a bit carried away. Aha, erm, Mia is my fiance's name. I've always been considered "scrawny," even for a Lunarian, but she's not bothered by it at all. Oh, she is such a kind woman...
As interesting as that is, shouldn't you, I don't know, be off to get the dress made?
Thaddeus: ...E-excuse me again, I'm sure you're not interested in your clients' private lives. This should be a time of celebration! Aha, ahaha, ha. Aha. In any case, now that I have the materials, I think I'll be heading for the craftsmans district to find a tailor to draw up a design for the dress. My thanks again. I left your reward with the proprietor, so you'll need to talk to her for it. If you'll please excuse me...
Ah, to be young once again. He reminds me of Adrian all those years ago, when she was courting me.
Pardon, but who is Adrian?
My wife. Any time I wasn't looking after my brothers and sisters or doing farm work, she was at our doorstep, eager to go do something.
Did she travel here with you?
...Ha, I wish she could've.

It seems you've completed Thaddeus's request. Good work. I'm glad to see you can now handle these tough monster-hunting requests without even batting an eye. But if you want to go even further, maybe you should be taking more of my requests? *chuckle* Well, take your reward, and know that you've earned it. Thanks.

(Obtained 3 Therica As.)
(Obtained 3 Therica Bs.)

I had Sasha learn Labyrinth Search Skills just for some extra coverage for that skill.

Poison Bomb now has 285 base poison damage.

I had Gram learn Hawk Arrow since she'll need it for the hawk specialization in the future.

Poison Smoke now has 145 base poison damage, and multiplies poison infliction chances by 1.31x.

Can we observe the mammoth now?
Looks like we've got another request we should take care of. Something about sneaking up on...a scorpion...FOE...
At least the threat of a violent death by a stinger bigger than your heads should keep you on your toes, hohoho.

Easy enough.

You've successfully approached the scorpion without being noticed! Taking care not to startle it, you hold your breaths and carefully take out the Painless Syringe and stab it into the scorpion's tail. It begins to fill up with some bodily fluid from inside the scorpion, and as the name implies, it seems to cause no pain as the monster doesn't notice you. Once you've obtained enough fluid, you withdraw the full syringe.

While we're here, might as well look at this event too.

You arrive at the spot that the explorer marked on the map. However, you can't see anything that looks like treasure.
This is the vaguest possible treasure map. Ugh...

At that moment, Lanzon starts to point at the ground.
Right there.
They tell you that they can feel a faint trace of mana from that direction. Reaching the obvious conclusion, you all take out whatever weapons and tools you're holding and attempt to dig through the hard rock...

This is a Feats of Strength check--the event stops if you don't have it.

The ground may be strong, but Iseria is stronger.
REVEAL TO ME THE SECRETS OF THE PAST!
After a little while of digging, a box peeks out from under the soil. Careful not to damage it, you remove the soil around it and bring it up. Based on its elaborate ornamentation there's no doubt in your mind that this is a box of treaure. As you reach out to open it...

If you had to resume the event from the previous Feats of Strength check without someone that knows Detect Magic, you'd get into a fight with some Alarm Cicadas after the last bit.

However, Lanzon stops you. As an expert in magic, they can tell that this box has been set with a magical trap. Probably to deter thieves. If it had been opened carelessly, it seems it would have sounded a monster-attracting alarm. After closely examining the box and muttering to themselves a bit, Lanzon pushes in one of the decorations like a switch, and the box smoothly opens itself.

(Obtained 2 Lunarian Silver Coins.)
(Obtained Zepharia Silver Coin.)

It's full of rare silver coins! You have a quick celebration before putting them into your pack and returning to exploring.

"Digging up treasure

You found a treasure box and, after dealing with the trap, successfully obtained the treasure."

Welcome back. Looks like you completed the request safe and sound. I'll deliver that toxin to the Royal Library's medical laboratories right away. And with the client guild's member saved, those explorers will be able to finally get back to adventuring too. Ah... Thank goodness...
Did you perhaps think we might fall prey to the scorpion?
Oh, no, I had full confidence in your success. It's just, you know, I've known the kids from that guild since they were first starting out. It's just such a relief to see them all safe and sound again. Oh, don't take that the wrong way: I do worry about you kids too. You may be skilled, but you'll always be rookies to me. I suppose I'm just the worrying sort. ...Anyway, I hope you don't mind me adding my own contribution to your reward. Really, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

(Obtained Corsica.)

Corsicas (+9 DEF, +21 MDEF) are made from 1 Blackened Claw (Giant Spotted Dog rare) normally.

I have Iseria level up Chain Fire to 3, since that can get another activation off Fire Bomb.

Lanzon learns Gourmet because he chews through TP real quickly, and doubling the amount restored by food'll help with that.

Now are we going to observe the mammoth?
YES. And please, for the love of the gods, at least call it Oliphant. It's less confusing.

As you continue through the rocky mountain, you come across a familiar figure surrounded by unpacked bags. Wihout thinking, you call out to him.

Huh? Oh, heya Nameless. What brings you around these parts? ...Oh wait, you're explorers. Duh.
I'm more curious what you're doing here. It's not every day you find your average shopkeeper just up in the Labyrinth.
Now me, I'm just your average businessman doing business with people exploring the Labyrinth. Trying to hook a few more potential regulars, if you catch my drift? Of course, you can buy something too if you'd like. Maybe it's fate! And let me tell you, I'm practically giving you this stuff for absolutely free*!
Absolutely free, eh? Couldn't hurt to look.

...Ceric. I dunno if you're naive or just very, very shrewd, but we'll take AS MANY AMRITAS AS WE CAN.

Holy poo poo Ceric why are you so loving generous.

*only metaphorically free.

We're given a choice between three purchases:
  • 3 Nectars for 300 en
  • 3 Amritas for 1000 en
  • 3 Analysis Scopes for 120 en

I buy 36 Amritas, which fills up our pack to capacity. After this, Ceric notes that our bag is full, and leaves.

THIS IS A ONE-TIME EVENT! If you want to stock the gently caress up on Nectars and Amritas at a ludicrously cheap discount, this is your only chance to do it!

I actually have to drop off half of the Amritas at the inn, since our pack literally has no space otherwise.

Hm, didn't we have a challenge from the guard to take care of?
...Crap, yeah.
As you arrive at the designated location, you see a few dozen soldiers gathered. One man, most likely the commanding officer, approaches you and begins to speak.
So you're Nameless, huh? First, I should thank you for accepting this sudden request. ...There's been talk lately about all the up-and-coming explorers in Aeolis. Some are even saying there's no need for soldiers anymore, what with the explorers protecting the country. I'm well aware that none of this is your fault, but us soldiers have our pride too, you know. Which is why we put out that crazy request for a contest.
Ooooookay.
Having said all this in one breath, the soldier stops to clear his throat before continuing.
The rules of the match are simple. We'll see who can defeat the most monsters on this floor without leaving. We can start whenever you're ready, but be careful, defeat so much as a single monster after we start and we'll consider the match official, so if you leave the floor after that we won't let you redo it. We're already ready, so just give us the word. You can even go back to town first, if you like.
Let the challenge commence!

All we have to do is fight enough battles to have killed 15 monsters and we'll get the maximum reward. I set an autowalk path in that small area to our right and let it run until I get into a battle.

Cliff Goat
HP: 278
STR: 43
INT: 37
VIT: 29
WIS: 32
AGI: 39
LUC: 39
Skills:
  • Panic Assault: Uses the head. Deals 100% melee STR-based bash damage to one party member. Attempts to inflict panic on the target, with a 50% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Chipped Goat Horn. 60% chance. Sells for 35 en.
    • 1 needed to make Panic Gas (50% base chance to inflict panic on all enemies).
    • 2 needed to make Goat Earring (Immunity to panic).
    • 1 Crested Bird Wing (Bounce Parrot normal) and 1 Chipped Goat Horn needed to make Magii Irana (+45 ATK, +45 MATK, STR Up 1, Bronze x3).
  • Conditional: Bound Hoof (Kill while legs are bound). 100% chance. Sells for 78 en.
    • 1 needed to make Jono (+45 ATK, +35 MATK, Panic Assault, Bronze x4).
Damage Resistances:
100% 100% 100%
100% 150% 100%
Disable Resistances:
50% 100% 100% 50% 100% 150% 150%
100% 100%
100% 100% 100%

Cliff Goats are our first exposure to panic, the second most dangerous ailment in the game (formerly the first until petrification got reworked). One Cliff Goat isn't a big deal, but multiple can be dangerous, since one panicked party member in a random encounter is workable, while two or more is dangerous.

(Received 2 Triangular Kitten Ears, 1 Chipped Goat Horn.)

Unfortunately, nothing of interest happened in that one particular fight.

A flying manta ray that can survive out of the water?!
Yes? Is that abnormal?
YES. Allow me to study it for a while...
She's got sparkles in her eyes...

Rockfish
HP: 525
STR: 52
INT: 41
VIT: 41
WIS: 33
AGI: 25
LUC: 45
Skills:
  • Bind Arm: Uses the legs. Attempts to bind all party members' arms, with a 40% base chance. Has no speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Skyfish Tailfin. 80% chance. Sells for 51 en.
    • 1 needed to make Hairband (+14 DEF, +13 MDEF).
    • 1 needed to make Arm Guard (Immunity to arm binds).
    • 1 needed to make Tanglethread: Head / Arms / Legs (60% base chance to bind all enemies' heads/arms/legs).
    • 2 needed to make Crossbow (+40 ATK, +36 MATK).
Damage Resistances:
100% 150% 50%
100% 150% 50%
Disable Resistances:
100% 150% 100% 100% 150% 100% 50%
100% 100%
100% 100% 100%

Rockfishes serve only to annoy you with arm binds and then hit decently hard with normal attacks. Remember that arm binds are more dangerous for your party than in last games, since a decent chunk of support skills (namely Herbalist healing skills) use the arms now.

Uncoil your tail at once!

How I wish I could've studied it further...

(Received 1 Brown Feather and 1 Skyfish Tailfin.)

And then the turkey died from Poison Smoke.

At 10 enemies defeated, we get this message.

With that latest battle, you've defeated more than 10 monsters. At that moment, you see a smoke signal shoot up from another area of the floor.
Um, should we go help with th--
As you wonder if it's a distress signal or something, the guard behind you angrily interrupts your thoughts.

That's just a message from the squad. We don't need you worryin' about us, so just fight your own fights.
...Okay!
Seeing that the guard refuses to give any further explanation, you resume your hunt for monsters.

At 15, we get one final event.

With that latest battle, you've defeated more than 15 monsters. Once again, you see a smoke signal in the sky, probably some sort of message for the guard accompanying you. His face looks almost sorrowful as he silently gazes at it. A little while later, he turns to speak to you.

That's it. It's over. That just now meant they can't keep this up any longer. The long and short of it is that you guys won. Who knows what the townsfolk will say about us after this...
Continuing to mutter to himself, the guard slowly walks away. If you like, you could say something to him.
So what if they say the guards're pathetic? Prove them wrong. Get stronger. That'll show 'em that they can rely on you guys, eh?
You explain that all they need to do is get stronger and people will forget all about those doubts. The guard turns to face you with a look of surprise before immediately breaking into a laugh.
Ha ha ha! Yeah, it sure would be great if we could be as strong as you explorers. Yeah... You guys may have stolen a win this time, but we're still in the fight! How could we have let ourselves get so shaken by just some idle gossip...?
That's the spirit.
The lone guard nods with a satisfied look on his face before apologizing.
Sorry about this whole thing. And thanks for going along with it. I knew when I started this job that I'd have to be prepared for whatever people might say... Plus, I'm only doing this in the first place because I love my country... Or at least I thought I was. If it took all this to remind me of something so obvious, then I guess I'm just another greenhorn.
Despite his self-deprecation, his face is much brighter than it was a little while earlier.
Nameless, allow me to thank you once again. I'll be praying for your safety in the Labyrinth. I'll leave the reward at the bar, so go pick it up when you can. Now, if you'll excuse me.
Thanking you once again, the guard leaves. With this, the request is complete! All that's left is to report it at the bar.

Welcome back, everyone. Good work on that competition with the guards. You won, right?
But of course.
*chuckle* Not bad. But even the losers were looking pretty satisfied when they gave me the reward. I guess it's kind of like you lost the battle and won the war... Except you also won the battle? Anyway, thanks. Here's your reward. You've earned it.

(Obtained 2 Bronze Ingots!)

We get a larger EXP reward and an extra Bronze Ingot for getting to 15 monsters killed. Forfeiting or killing less than 10 monsters lowers the EXP reward.

I have Sasha learn Self Study to boost her WIS, since low magic defense is a pretty big flaw with Earthrun characters.

Hawk Arrow now deals 103% damage on the primary hit, and 369% on the hawk splash hits.

Poison Smoke now has 190 base poison damage, and increases poison infliction chances by 1.34x.

New floor means new junk.

Crossbow (+40 ATK, +36 MATK, WIS Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 2 Skyfish Tailfins (Rockfish normal).

Hairband (+14 DEF, +13 MDEF) is made from 1 Skyfish Tailfin (Rockfish normal).

Goat Earring (Immunity to panic) is made from 2 Chipped Goat Horns (Cliff Goat normal).

Arm Guard (Immunity to arm binds) is made from 1 Skyfish Tailfin (Rockfish Normal).

Panic Gas (50% base chance to inflict panic on all enemies) is made from 1 Chipped Goat Horn (Cliff Goat normal).

Tanglethread: Head / Arms / Legs (60% base chance to bind all enemies' heads/arms/legs) is made from 1 Skyfish Tailfin (Rockfish normal).

And some forging. I had to use Bronze Ingots for Lanzon's Megalith 5006, since we, obviously, don't have more of Golem's normal drop in stock.

You have once again set foot in the territory of the enormous monster. Looking around, it appears that the Oliphant has hidden itself somewhere deeper in the room. Your mission from the Council is to find a way around it and continue further into the Labyrinth. You proceed with caution as you step further into the room.

The Oliphant room is loving gigantic, so I map it out first. Note that random encounters are disabled in it.

There's also extra corner rooms.

As you approach a grassy area, you notice several large shapes gathered there. While you instinctively place your hands on your weapons, upon closer inspection they appear to be a species of gentle zebu cattle. Apparently they live in rocky areas by moving from place to place to graze on what little grass grows here. There appear to be both nursing calves and mother cows in the herd, so, if you're careful not to provoke them, you may be able to get some milk.
Stand aside, kids, let an old farmhand take care of this.
...Uh, how many years has it been since you last did farm work?
Hoping to obtain some supplies for the trip, you begin to approach the cattle. However, upon hearing your footsteps, the herd is spooked and begins to panic! Gram desperately tries to keep them in check while the rest of you milk the cows.

Gram now has a black eye for their troubles, but at least you got the Milk, somehow.
Oof. I've gotten rusty.

(Obtained 4 Milks!)

You can bypass the damage if someone in the party knows Animal Husbandry.

"Wild cattle

You found a herd of wild cattle and, despite some injuries, successfully got milk from them."

Another point into Chain Fire.

As you climb the steep trail, you hear the cry of a bird. Instinctively, you stop and look around for monsters when you notice a gathering of wildfowl with large wattles. If you sneak up on them, you may be able to get some meat. But wild birds like these are sure to be cautious, so you'll need a skilled hunter.

Luckily, you have Iseria with you. They step forward with a confident look on their face.
Allow me.
Moving silently and hiding their presence, Iseria approaches one of the birds and takes it down in a single blow with a large knife. It's quite a large animal, but they proceed to dress it with impressive speed. In a blink of an eye, what was once a bird is nothing but a pile of meat, which you place in your bag to cook later.

(Obtained 5 Animal Meats!)

"Wildfowl hunting

You discovered some wildfowl and made use of your hunting skills to obtain some meat."

Lanzon learns Self Study to boost his INT.

Anyway, yes, Oliphant.

The previously hidden Oliphant has shown itself once again, perhaps detecting your presence. The sheer might of it seems incomparable to any monster you've faced before, and you highly doubt you could take it. Find some way to take advantage of the terrain to get past it!
Are you quite certain we shouldn't fight it? Not even for a minute or so?
If you want to get gored by those tusks, be my guest.

Oh jeez, that thing's quick.
Thanks to its enormous size, the Oliphant crosses a huge distance for each step you take! Overall, it seems to move twice as fast as you. In other words, if you move in a straight line it will definitely catch up to you. So what can be done to prevent this? You'll need to consider this as you make your next move.
Uh... Let's just...try to get to that rock, I guess...

EXCELLENT IDEA.

Anyone that's played EO3 or EO4 might recognize that music--yep, it's The End of the Raging Waves again. It's used for every single postgame boss; contrast with previous games, which either entirely used Scatter About (EO2, EO3 excluding SQ bosses, EOU) or a mixture that involved Scatter About (EO1, EO4, EO2U). Basically my point is that Scatter About is gone, and thank gently caress for that.

Oh, right, Oliphant. I'm sure this thing could be taken down with some smart planning, right?

Oliphant
HP: 35753
STR: 130
INT: 103
VIT: 121
WIS: 112
AGI: 99
LUC: 112
Skills:
  • King Press: Uses the legs. Deals 300% melee STR-based bash damage to all party members. Has a 110% speed modifier and (literally) 0 base accuracy. 0 base accuracy means that King Press cannot hit unless targets have their evasion reduced or disabled.
  • Tusk Stab: Uses the head. Deals 200% melee STR-based stab damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Leg Binder: Uses the arms. Deals 150% melee STR-based cut damage to one row of party members. Attempts to bind hit targets' legs, with a 50% base chance. Has a 110% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Emperor's Might: Uses the head. Increases Oliphant's non-base accuracy by 500. Decreases all party members' non-base evasion by 500. Both the buff and debuff last for 4 turns. Has a 110% speed modifier.
  • Trunk Whip: Uses the arms. Deals 3-5 instances of 100% melee STR-based cut damage to random party members. Can hit the same target multiple times. Attempts to inflict paralysis on hit targets, with a 50% base chance. Has a 110% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.

NOPE. TIME TO RUN THE gently caress AWAY.

(Drops excluded because they're irrelevant.)

Honestly with its low hit-rate gimmick it's one of the easier postgame bosses.

That's a nice team...

(King Press.)

OUT OF THE WAY OUT OF THE WAY OUT OF THE WAY!

Phew...
Perhaps that was less an attack, and more a show of strength...

Let's just get out of here before that thing warms up.

At this point I've just accepted that I've messed up, so I topple the rock that way for later.

As you sidestep the Oliphant, it slows itself down to face you. Apparently, its size makes it difficult for it to change direction. You'll need to remember this rule as you plan your moves.

Some fancy footwork later, and the rock has forced Oliphant to turn a bunch.

Far less time-consuming than Salamander or Wyvern.

Uh... Normally you would knock down the rocks before you trigger the chase. The room is basically designed as a big circle with some rocks to knock down in its way, so honestly it's not much of a puzzle.

You've safely managed to slip past the Oliphant, and can probably proceed further into the Labyrinth from here. You should report this method to the Council next time you return to town.

I open this shortcut and go back to town.

...I guess Remus wants to talk about cooking first.

What an intriguing phenomenon... Just place it in this sack and...wait? Such unconventional wisdom is truly what I'd expect from nomadic traditions...
Are we...interrupting something, Lord Remus?
Oh, Nameless. What brings you here today?
What were you talking to yourself about just now?
Perhaps you're already aware of this, but it was news to me. It's a technique passed down among certain Brownie circles. As it was told to me, a traveling Brownie was storing his milk in a hide sack while crossing the desert. Several hours later, his thirst had grown, so he reached for the sack, but the liquid had coagulated into something new.
That...does not sound good. "Coagulation" is generally not a term I want to hear with regards to nutrition.
He was surprised, but his thirst commanded he taste it, and he found it was delicious! Through trial and error, the Brownies he told of this experience managed to recreate the concoction, which they've called Honey Yogurt. Just place some Milk in this Custom Leather Bag, wait for several hours, then mix in olive oil and honey before heating. I hear it's very delicious- I feel certain you'd love to have some on your travels.
As skeptical as I am, we might as well give it a try.

(Obtained Honey Yogurt!)
(Obtained Custom Leather Bag!)

From what this sounds like, you've managed to agilely skip past the Oliphant, and find a route to the next floor...meaning we'll be able to further our exploration of the Labyrinth.
Yep, that's the gist of it.
Thank you, Nameless. I knew you'd be able to accomplish this. The Council has nothing but praise for your efforts, and I have a reward to present you.

(Obtained 3500 en.)

...That said, the more research I did, the clearer it became precisely how monstrously threatening this Oliphant is. Your route is good enough for now, but in the future we may need explorers who can remove it entirely. I'm hoping you'll grow into explorers of that caliber.

Bunker doesn't really work all that well when I have both Gram and Lanzon in the party, but I might as well level it up in the absence of anything else to do. Level 4 makes the Bunker have 95 DEF.

Hawk Arrow's first hit now deals 106% damage, while the hawk splash does 357% damage.

Poison Smoke now has 235 base poison damage, and multiplies poison infliction chances by 1.37x.

That'll do for now. Next time: 8F proper.

Rea fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 23, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It feels weird to not have Scatter About around anymore. On the other hand I can't say I'll miss it. The song wasn't that great in the first place and just kept getting worse every time the series remixed it.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Unrest sounds like something you'd find in a GOOD Tales Of... game *coughabysscough*

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Kemix posted:

Unrest sounds like something you'd find in a GOOD Tales Of... game *coughabysscough*

It's not the official soundtrack title, I was just borrowing prefixes from previous EO soundtracks, and then putting in one word that summarizes the track.

(I think the official soundtrack title for the Raging Waves remix is literally just "The End of the Raging Waves Remix" anyway.)

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Masuraos are the agile, physical damage-focused class of EO5, in the vein of Ronin from EO1 and 2. They use katanas, and hit enemies very hard. Much like Ronin, their base race (Therian) have low defensive stats, but unlike Ronin, Masuraos can actually compensate for it quite well on the physical side by equipping heavy armor. Speaking of past agile classes, remember Shoguns from EO3? Remember how their primary gimmick was being able to dual-wield? Masuraos one-up them really hard on that front--their first specialization can equip four katanas at once, completely eschewing armor. Their other specialization borrows heavily from EO4 Snipers, in that its primary focus is a passive that lets skills crit.

Stats

Therian Base

Four Heavens as One Masurao: Multiple katanas, multiple hits
(Full stat table)

Single Peerless Blade Masurao: One katana, crits
(Full stat table)

Basic gist of the stats: Four Heavens as One Masuraos get more TP, STR, and AGI, while Single Peerless Blade Masuraos get more HP, VIT, WIS, and LUC.

Masuraos can equip katanas, and can wear heavy armor and light armor.

Like most non-Earthrun classes, I can't think of any good reclass options for Masuraos. Earthruns are innately more durable, yeah, but the fact that Masuraos can equip heavy armor helps compensate for their lower VIT.

Basic Skills

Katana Mastery
Requirements: None

Increases damage dealt with katanas.

Peerless Demon

Increases damage dealt based on the number of hits an attack has. One bonus stack is given for every hit of an attack.

Obviously a lot more useful for Four Heavens as One Masuraos. Good luck ever hitting nine stacks, though.

To the Death

Increases damage dealt when hitting enemies that were also hit by the user on the last turn.

A bit of free damage for a condition that's basically always going to be true in FOE and boss fights. Sure, why not?

Flying Sparrow
Requirements: To the Death level 3
Body parts used: Arms

Deals melee STR-based cut damage to one enemy. After the target has taken their turn, the user will attack them again for the same amount of damage. If the target acts before the user (really only applies to priority skills), the second hit will not activate. Has a 500% speed modifier and +10 base accuracy at all levels.

A lot of early Masurao skills are kinda boring, and Flying Sparrow is no exception. You'll need to level it up to get a key skill for four sword Masuraos (my shorthand for Four Heavens as One), so...

Armor Penetrate

Deals melee STR-based stab damage to one enemy. Reduces the target's defense against STR-based attacks for a set amount of turns. Has a 75% speed modifier and +5 base accuracy at all levels.

Armor Penetrate's defense debuff is pretty strong at level 10, but the damage isn't that great. Note that it's stab damage, incidentally--you can use Armor Penetrate as okay Chain fodder early on, if you want.

Mist Slice
Requirements: Armor Penetrate level 2

Deals melee STR-based cut damage to one enemy. Attempts to inflict sleep on the target. Has no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Probably the best early Masurao skill, mostly because of the sleep. Sleep's a decent ailment early on, and that high base chance compensates pretty well for Therians not having the best LUC.

Vacuum Blade

Deals ranged STR-based cut damage to one enemy. Has no speed modifier and no base acuracy modifier at all levels.

A ranged Masurao skill. Okay, sure, why not. It's actually the second highest damage skill of the Basic Masurao skills, although it only beats Mist Slice by 10%, and it only costs a meager 9 TP at level 10.

Kamaitachi
Requirements: Vacuum Blade level 3

Deals multiple instances of melee STR-based damage to random enemies. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has an 85% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

The most damaging Basic Masurao skill, but also by far the most expensive. Honestly, that TP cost is kind of a dealbreaker, since 10 is already iffy for how unreliable early versions are, and 20 at level 10 is...

New Challenger

Immediately begins a battle. Increases the chance of encountering rare breed enemies. When a battle ends, there is a chance to immediately begin another one. Note that I don't know what the value listed as Rare Breed Increase actually is--it could be a percentage, or it could just be an integer variable fed into an algorithm.

...Huh. Kind of useful if you want to grind for a specific enemy drop and know what tile to find said enemy on.

Advantageous Position
Body parts used: Legs

Increases STR-based attack for the user's row for a set amount of turns. Has a 60% speed modifier at all levels.

Advantageous Position is pretty strong as far as attack buffs go, and it's reasonably cheap. It's worth putting points into, honestly, especially if you have a front line consisting of three people capable of dealing STR-based damage.

Four Heavens as One Skills
Common Passives: HP Up, Phys ATK Up

Multi-Sword Technique

Lets the user equip multiple katanas. Gives a chance for the user to attack with all of their equipped weapons when using the normal Attack command. Each successive hit deals less damage than the last--the second hit deals 80% damage, the third hit deals 65% damage, and the fifth hit deals 50% damage.

One point in Multi-Sword Technique is absolutely mandatory for doing anything with this specialization, and it is also the only point you need.

Brink of Death Resuscitation
Requirements: HP Up level 3

When the user is dead, they have a chance to revive at 1 HP at the end of a turn.

A bizarre interpretation of an endure effect, kind of, sort of. On the one hand, being revived at the end of the turn means you avoid the usual issue of "another enemy or another hit of a multi-hit skill can just kill you again after the endure activates." On the other hand, dying also means any buffs that character had are reset. Even with that, though, given how fragile Four Heavens Masuraos are, you might as well grab this once you have your preferred attack skill.

Crossing the Sanzu
Requirements: Flying Sparrow level 3

Chases attacks by enemies and party members for one turn with the user's equipped weapon. The maximum number of chases depends on how many katanas the user has equipped. Any modifiers to the user's normal attacks are applied for Crossing the Sanzu. For example, if the user has a Fire Oil effect, Crossing the Sanzu attacks will be cut+fire. Has a 1000% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Behold: a skill that can very easily cheese the game. Remember Warrior Might from EO3? This is that but with an even lesser penalty. Hitting allies might sound bad until you realize that, even with a good katana and high STR, 34% damage is nothing (granted, that is only for level 10, but still). You do need to construct a party that's specifically built for proccing Sanzu as much as possible if you want to really make good use of it (...which should really go without saying), but once you have one, enjoy racking up damage that can reach into the 1000%+ percent range every turn, consistently.

Reflower
Requirements: Crossing the Sanzu level 3

If the user has multiple katanas equipped, they have a chance to use katana skills again.

Treat the chance to use skills again as a damage buff--effectively meaning that a level 10 Reflower with four katanas is a permanent double damage boost. That might just sound like an overpowered passive, but trust me, a Four Heavens Masurao really does need every advantage they can get to justify using a party slot on a character that basically every enemy can one-shot.

Four Gods
Requirements: Kamaitachi level 3

Deals multiple instances of melee STR-based cut damage to one enemy. The number of hits is equal to the number of katanas the user has equipped. Has no speed modifier and +5 base accuracy at all levels.

Boring, low damage on its own, becomes pretty okay when you proc Reflower with it--level 10 on both skills with four katanas means 720% damage for 10 TP.

Layered Blossoms
Requirements: Kamaitachi level 3

Deals 2-8 instances of melee STR-based cut damage to random enemies in one row. Can hit the same enemy multiple times. For each katana the user has equipped beyond one, the damage per hit is increased by 25%. Has a 70% speed modifier and -4 base accuracy at all levels.

If Four Gods is the reliable mid-damage skill of the Four Heavens skill tree, Layered Blossoms is the semi-unreliable low-to-high damage skill. When it whiffs, it's really bad (especially given that level 10 costs 21 TP). When you get two 8-hit procs (thanks to Reflower), though, that's 2000% damage for 21 TP. That's not to say that's likely, mind you; assuming each hit amount has an equal chance, you're effectively banking on a 1/36, roughly 2.78%, chance for that.

Hyakkaryouran
Requirements: Four Gods level 3, Layered Blossoms level 3

Deals multiple instances of melee STR-based cut damage to random enemies. Can hit the same target multiple times. The number of hits is equal to the number of katanas the user has equipped multiplied by the number of enemies. Has a 50% speed modifier and -8 base accuracy at all levels.

The absolute most bizarre way of giving a class a skill for wiping out random encounters. And it's not even okay--it's pretty garbage, since 30 TP for 40% damage per hit is awful, no matter how you slice it.

Tentryuuransei
Requirements: Phys ATK Up level 3

Deals multiple instances of melee STR-based damage to random enemies. Can hit the same enemy multiple times. The number of hits is equal to the number of katanas the user has equipped. The element of the attack is random, and can be cut, stab, bash, fire, ice, volt, or almighty. Has no speed modifier and -10 base accuracy at all levels.

And to finish off the Four Heavens skill tree, one of the most bizarre attack skills in the game. On the one hand, four katanas plus level 10 Reflower equals 960% damage for 16 TP (assuming each attack hits). On that same hand, random element also means you can maybe hit an enemy's weakness. On the other hand, -10 base accuracy.

Single Peerless Blade Skills
Common Passives: Speed Up, TP Up

Sword God

Increases damage dealt with critical hits. Gives katana skills a chance to crit. I do not know how the critical hit formula works in EO5, nor do I know what the base chance would be. Note that the crit damage listed here works off the assumption that critical hits deal 150% damage innately, as is the case with past EO games.

The key passive for Single Peerless Blade skills. This thing should be maxed out, ideally, as soon as possible.

Thunder Slash
Requirements: TP Up level 5

Deals melee STR-based cut+volt damage to one enemy. Has no speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

A bit of elemental coverage. Well, one element coverage. Damage isn't terribly impressive on its own, but it doesn't require any setup like Helm Divide does, which we'll see in a bit.

Suigetsu
Requirements: TP Up level 5

For one turn, gives the user a chance to nullify cut, stab, and bash attacks against them and counterattack the source. Each time Suigetsu activates, the chance of it activating on that same turn is reduced by 35%. Any modifiers to the user's normal attacks are applied for Suigetsu. For example, if the attacker has a Fire Oil effect, Suigetsu counterattacks will be cut+fire. Has standard priority. Counterattacks have +20 base accuracy at all levels.

Useful for phys-heavy bosses, especially since level 10 means you'll get two guaranteed counterattacks. If you have a Dragoon, you can combine Suigetsu with Dragon's Roar for extra fun.

Leg Sweep
Requirements: Mist Slice level 3

Deals melee STR-based cut damage to one row of enemies. Reduces hit enemies' non-base evasion for a set amount of turns. Has a 120% speed modifier and +50 base accuracy at all levels.

Some multi-target coverage, but mostly intended as a setup for...

Helm Divide
Requirements: Leg Sweep level 5

Deals melee STR-based cut damage to one enemy. Ignores the target's resistance to cut damage. Has a 70% speed modifier at all levels.

Big damage, amazingly awful base accuracy modifier. Leg Sweep mostly negates it, but you'll probably still want to inflict blind, paralysis, panic, or leg binds if you plan to make use of Helm Divide.

Sword's Vigor
Requirements: Advantageous Position level 3

When the user hits an enemy with a single-target attack, that enemy's damage is reduced for the rest of the turn.

Eh.

Three-Stage Strike
Requirements: Sword's Vigor level 5

Deals three instances of melee STR-based cut damage to one enemy. The first attack attempts to bind the target's head, the second attack attempts to bind the target's arms, and the third attack attempts to bind the target's legs. If the first or second attacks inflict their binds, Three-Stage Strike will end. Has no speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

A bizarre low-damage skill with a very strange gimmick. I'd say avoid it.

Sange
Requirements: Sword's Vigor level 5

Deals ranged STR-based cut damage to all enemies. The damage is reduced by how many enemies are alive--0.65x for 2, 0.45x for 3, and 0.35x for 4 or more. Critting one target will make the rest of the hits be crits. Has a 90% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Multi-target coverage that penalizes you for using it with multiple targets.

Rea fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 26, 2016

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I can 100% approve of quad-wielding. Screw armor, you have more swords than you have arms to use them. Though a lot of those attacking skills for both specializations are just... weird. I mean, I like finding a use for situational skills, but then there's Sange which if I didn't know better, sounds like it was coded backwards. It's not useful against single targets because of the TP cost, and it's not useful against multiple targets because of the damage loss. So what good is it for?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
How do they even hold that many swords at once? Do they like, tape them to their ears and headbang?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

A couple of the classes' skills seems like they're trying to take advantage of accumulative resistance and immunities in the sense that if the ailment doesn't land, you still get something out of it. Though Three-Stage Strike has way too low of a base chance and damage output to even be used for either purpose.

Dark Flame Master posted:

How do they even hold that many swords at once? Do they like, tape them to their ears and headbang?

Look closer at the Masauro artwork, they're attached to their wrists. Though I don't think that would actually works out if you tried that yourself. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You've got three summon slots, right? That's enough for an animal and a bunker, isn't it?

Or does the animal get wrecked by line attacks aiming at the bunker?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Glazius posted:

You've got three summon slots, right? That's enough for an animal and a bunker, isn't it?

Or does the animal get wrecked by line attacks aiming at the bunker?

Hound summons and Bunkers together are fine, although what you mentioned is an issue. The big problem is when Necromancers are in play, since they eat up summon slots and suffer really badly when they can't.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Shamans are the buff class of EO5, ala Troubadours in EO1/2/U/2U, Prince/Princess/Sovereign in EO3/2U, and Dancer in EO4. They're kind of like a mixture of Troubadours (a variety of party-target buffs) and Sovereigns (options for healing, Monarch March again, offensive options). I initially wrote them off because "who needs a buff class with all these weird skills when I can just use someone else," but they're actually far more effective than their somewhat disjointed skillset might make them seem. Their first specialization gives them damage options and methods for proactively blocking damage, while their second specialization gives them passive healing and options for mitigating damage and disables.

Stats

Brownie Base

Heaven's Wrath Shaman: Semi-offense
(Full stat table)

Heaven's Love Shaman: Semi-defensive
(Full stat table)

Basic gist of the stats: Heaven's Wrath Shamans get more TP, STR, INT, and AGI, while Heaven's Love Shamans get more HP, VIT, WIS, and LUC.

Shamans can equip swords, staves, and bows, and can wear light armor and clothes.

Both Shaman specs could reasonably be filled by a Lunarian character. Buffs are stat independent and you wouldn't be losing out on too much healing, while you gain a considerable amount of extra damage on skills like Oracle: Dance.

Basic Skills

Prayer Mastery

Increases the speed and reduces the TP cost of Prayer skills. The TP cost reduction is performed by subtracting a static amount from the base cost, and then multiplying that by a percentage.

Want your Shaman to not be bled completely dry of TP after casting a few buffs? You're gonna need some points in Prayer Mastery. There's a reason I had Mio put a whopping five points into Prayer Mastery the first time she was in the party.

Gospel

When the Shaman buffs an ally, that ally recovers a static amount of HP, plus a percentage of their max HP.

Early and midgame Shaman builds can sometimes have leftover skill points, so tossing them into free healing isn't the worst thing you can do. Don't expect Gospel to be super fantastic or anything, though.

Prayer: Eradication
Body parts used: Head

Increases all party members' attack for a set amount of turns. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

The most basic and arguably most important skill for any buff class in any EO game. The scaling on Eradication is pretty terrible, though--you get 21% at level 1, and 35% at level 10. What that means is you spend 9 skill points to get an extra 14% damage (duration increases are a big part, yeah, but let's ignore them).

Prayer: Guardian

Increases all party members' defense for a set amount of turns. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Defense buff blehhhhhh. At least these are more useful than they were in EO2U, where damage was either pitiful or had to be fully negated, lest you suffer a party wipe.

Prayer: Bullseye

Increases all party members' non-base accuracy for a set amount of turns. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Useful if you're stacking a bunch of skills that have base accuracy penalties, useless if not.

Blessing of Heaven
Requirements: Prayer: Eradication level 3, Prayer: Guardian level 3, Prayer: Bullseye level 3

Dispels one buff and/or one debuff on one ally. Restores that ally's HP and increases their action speed for one turn. The healing is doubled if both a buff and debuff are removed. Has a 2000% speed modifier at all levels.

Useful for emergency healing, or if there's one particular skill that you really need to go off first in the turn order. 9999% speed modifier isn't priority but it might as well be.

Prayer: Blaze/Cold Rain/Purple Lightning

Increases all party members' resista nce to fire/ice/volt, and adds that element to their normal attacks, for a set amount of turns. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

None of these are terribly useful on their own (unless you're going up against a boss whose attacks you know in advance), but they're meant to be combined with the Oracle skills, one of which is right below this!

Oracle: Dance
Requirements: Prayer: Blaze level 3, Prayer: Cold Rain level 3, Prayer: Purple Lightning level 3

Cancels Prayer: Blaze, Prayer: Cold Rain, or Prayer: Purple Lightning (whichever is oldest) on the user. Deals ranged INT-based damage of the element of the skill canceled to all enemies. Reduces hit targets' resistance to that element for one turn. Has a 200% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy at all levels.

Either a weaker version of the elemental Circles from EO2U, or a severely nerfed version of the Fantasias from EOU/EO2U, depending on how you look at it. Dance is still really useful, especially if you're working with a Chain-focused party or a Warlock.

Heaven's Wrath Shaman Skills
Common Passives: HP Up, Mag ATK Up, TP Up

Memories of a Previous Life

When a buff is removed from the user, they have a chance to reapply it.

Useful mostly for removing the one turn delay you'd otherwise need to recast a skill that removes a buff, such as Oracle: Dance. I wouldn't put points into it early, but it's pretty good in the lategame.

Prayer for the Soul
Requirements: Blessing of Heaven level 3

If the user has at least one buff on them when they take fatal damage, they have a chance to instead dispel their oldest buff and endure at 1 HP.

Nah.

Protection of the Offerings

Cancels one buff and debuff on the user. Restores TP to other party members in the user's row, based on a percentage of their maximum TP. The restore amount is doubled if both a buff and debuff are canceled. Has an 80% speed modifier and costs 40 TP at all levels.

Honestly? I can think of worse skills. It's something for a Shaman to do if anything attack or buff-related isn't needed at the moment.

Purification
Requirements: Prayer for the Soul level 5, Protection of the Offerings level 5

Cancels all buffs and debuffs on all party members and all enemies. Restores the user's TP. The TP restoration is determined by multiplying the base restore by how many of the following types were removed: party member buff, party member debuff, enemy buff, enemy debuff. Has a 200% speed modifier and costs 40 TP at all levels.

Nnnnnnno thank you. Any reasonable race for Shaman will have good TP, and I can't think of any situation where you'd want to immediately purge all modifiers on everyone. There's basically one postgame boss this is useful for, and that's kind of it.

Oracle: Three Runs
Requirements: Oracle: Dance level 3

Cancels Prayer: Blaze, Prayer: Cold Rain, or Prayer: Purple Lightning (presumably whichever is the oldest on the first party member) on all party members. Deals 5 instances of ranged INT-based damage of the element of the Prayer canceled to random enemies. Can hit the same target multiple times. Doesn't seem to have a speed modifier defined, but also doesn't have the priority flag. Has 150 base accuracy at all levels.

1000% INT damage. Even if you're not using a Lunarian reclassed into a Shaman, and even taking into account that you need one of the elemental resistance buffs to use it, that hurts.

Oracle: Halo

Cancels Prayer: Blaze, Prayer: Cold Rain, or Prayer: Purple Lightning (presumably whichever is the oldest on the first party member) on all party members. For one turn, all party members will absorb any damage of the element of whichever skill was canceled. Doesn't seem to have a speed modifier defined, but also doesn't have the priority flag.

Oh hey, it's levels 10-20 of the elemental Walls. Want to completely negate an elemental attack you know is coming (which, admittedly, is fairly rare in EO5)? Just break this out.

Channel the Gods
Requirements: Oracle: Three Runs level 5, Oracle: Halo level 3

Requires three buffs on the user to use. Cancels all buffs on the user. The user will then attack one enemy with their equipped weapon (with a damage increase). Reduces the target's damage for one turn. Any modifiers to the user's normal attacks are applied for Channel the Gods. For example, if the user has a bow equipped, as well as Prayer: Blaze, Channel the Gods will be ranged, and deal stab+fire damage. Doesn't seem to have a speed modifier defined, but also doesn't have the priority flag.

Honestly, despite its insane damage modifier, Channel the Gods is more useful for the damage reduction than the damage. It's also an absolute pain in the rear end to set up, and is best used for... I dunno, when a skill you can't block with Oracle: Halo is coming.

Heaven's Love Shaman Skills
Common Passives: Curb DEF Up, Mag DEF Up

Consoling the Dead

When the user is alive, any allies with buffs have their HP restored when they act.

Pretty insignificant healing on its own. Stack it with stuff like Affection and Animal Therapy, along with a defense buff, though, and it's entirely possible you can forgo a dedicated healer.

Prayer: Exorcism

Increases all party members' resistance to ailments and binds for a set amount of turns. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Cutting infliction chances by more than half is pretty drat good, especially when you get into the later parts of the game and really nasty ailments start coming out.

Prayer: Evasion

Increases all party members' non-bas e evasion for a set amount of turns. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Blech.

Prayer: Longetivity

Increases all party members' maximum HP for a set amount of turns. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

A 40% max HP buff's pretty significant; combined with a level 10 Prayer: Guardian, you can get a party that has 1.75x more effective HP than normal.

Sanctuary
Requirements: Prayer: Exorcism level 5, Prayer: Evasion level 5, Prayer: Longetivity level 5

For one turn, when an ailment/bind is inflicted on a party member, they have a chance to cancel a buff instead.

An almost-guaranteed way to block ailments and binds? Sure. I mean, it's effectively limited by how many buffs a character has, but if you're blocking an all-party ailment skill or a row-target attack that inflicts something, it'll suffice.

Purifying Flame

Restores HP to all party members for every 3 steps they take in the Labyrinth.

It's Monarch March again. I'll pass.

Bunrei

For one turn, all party members with buffs will recover a percentage of all damage they deal.

Something to spam if your Shaman has nothing else to do. Why not let your damage dealers do their own healing for a turn?

Affection
Requirements: Purifying Flame level 2, Bunrei level 2

While the user is alive, party members with buffs will have their HP restored when they take damage, once per turn. The restore is based on a static amount and a percentage of the target's maximum HP.

More passive healing to invest in when you don't have anything else. See Consoling the Dead for my opinions on stacking passive healing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hmm. Given how much time a lot of classes seem to need to set up Shaman seems... almost reasonable?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Herbalists are a combination healer and ailment-inflicting class. Yes, I know that sounds extremely bizarre coming from previous EO games. Half of their Basic skillset and one of their specializations focuses on healing, and buffing up the party's HP a little, while the other half and their other specialization focuses on Smoke skills--skills that inflict ailments. There's a catch to Smoke skills, though--their base chances usually suck, and natural Brownie LUC doesn't make it any better. What makes them not garbage, though, is the fact that Smoke skills also reduce enemy resistances to the ailment they attempt to inflict, meaning that future attempts aren't quite as frustrating--or, if you have other party members that can inflict those ailments, that someone who has actually good base chances on skills can inflict stuff incredibly easily.

Stats

Brownie Basic

Deeply Compassionate Doctor: All-in on healing
(Full stat table)

Innocent Poisoner: Smoke skills
(Full stat table)

Basic gist of the stats: Deeply Compassionate Doctors get more HP, VIT, and WIS, while Innocent Poisoners get more TP, INT, AGI, and LUC.

Herbalists can equip staves, bows, and scythes, and can wear clothes.

As Magda's existence might let you infer, Innocent Poisoners are the one instance in the game where I feel a class is better suited for another race besides its base. In this case, either Earthruns for maximum LUC but abysmal TP, INT, and WIS, or Lunarians for far better (relative to Earthruns) TP, INT, and WIS and marginally lower-than-Earthruns-but-still-far-better-than-Brownies LUC. Deeply Compassionate doctors are just fine as Brownies, though.

Basic Skills

Herb Mastery

Increases HP restored with herb skills.

Do you have all of the healing skills you want at good enough levels or maxed out? Are they still not good enough? Well, you might want to reevaluate your party, because your party really should not be taking that much damage.

Cure Herb

Restores one party member's HP. Has a 150% speed modifier at all levels.

Fast as poo poo, heals for the most of any healing skill, and single-target healing's useful for quite a lot of situations, especially if you have someone doing Dragon's Roar tanking.

Line Herb
Requirements: Cure Herb level 5

Restores one row's HP. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Not quite as fast, but covers most situations where you'll need multi-target healing.

Refresh Herb

Cures either one party member or one row of party members of ailments. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Your choice as to whether you want better ailment coverage or you want to keep the TP cost as low as possible. Do note that when multi-target ailments come out, they usually hit the entire party, and therefore your Herbalist is also at a big risk of being hit.

Resurrection Herb
Requirements: Refresh Herb level 3

Revives one dead party member. Has a 70% speed modifier at all levels.

One point in Resurrection Herb is almost invaluable for exploration, but whether or not you want to take it further depends on how well your party can function if one or two people die. (If three or more are dead, that's usually a good sign that it's time to just reset.)

Antibody

Adds to the user's chance to naturally recover from ailments and binds.

No thanks.

Medicinal Knowledge

Restores each party member's HP and TP when using a Take, Chop, or Mine point. The restore amount is a static amount plus a percentage of the user's maximum HP/TP.

The HP restoration's decent at level 10, but are you really going to be using gather points enough during normal exploration to merit 10 points?

Poison Smoke

Attempts to inflict poison on one row of enemies. Reduces each enemy in that row's resistance to poison for a set amount of turns. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

The first of the Smoke skills. Poison Smoke itself kind of sucks (of all the player poisons, it deals the least damage), but that's just kind of the thing about Smoke skills--they're intended to be combo'd with other party members who can inflict those ailments. For Poison Smoke the less-good part is its poison damage, but for everything else, it's the base infliction chances.

Dark Smoke

Attempts to inflict blind on one row of enemies. Reduces each enemy in that row's resistance to blind for a set amount of turns. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Blind's okay. It's not something I'd rely on to ensure I win a fight, but it's okay.

Smoke Rot
Requirements: Poison Smoke level 2, Dark Smoke level 2

Reduces one row of enemies' resistance to elemental damage for a set amount of turns. The resistance decrease is amplified if an enemy has a Smoke debuff. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Smoke Rot's base decrease really sucks (by design), but oh man that debuff decrease. Works really well when you have a party with multiple sources of elemental damage, like stacking both a Fencer and Warlock, for example.

Deeply Compassionate Doctor Skills
Common Passives: HP Up, Curb DEF Up

Herb Boost

Allows herb skills to set healed party members' maximum HP to higher than the normal max for one turn. For example, with a level 10 Herb Boost, if a herb skill heals someone with 300 max HP for 600, the target's maximum HP would be set to 400 for one turn.

Apparently Atlus listened to my griping about Overheal in EO2U not being a passive (I made posts about that in the EO Megathread shortly after EO2U's US release), because that's exactly what Herb Boost is. Don't need to heal anyone this turn? Why not buff up everyone's HP?

Area Herb
Requirements: Line Herb level 5

Restores all party members' HP. Has a 70% speed modifier at all levels.

Area Herb's low speed modifier means it's really only useful for being proactive about extreme emergencies, since you're not gonna be firing it off at the start of the turn, short of using a Shaman using Blessing of Heaven on your Herbalist for some bizarre reason.

Recovery Herb
Requirements: Resurrection Herb level 3

Cures either one party member or one row of party members of binds. The amount of binds removed depends on the level of Recovery Herb. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Much like Refresh Herb, whether or not you max out Recovery Herb depends solely on how many situations you think you're gonna have where you need to remove three binds from multiple party members.

Auto-Resurrection
Requirements: Recovery Herb level 3

When a party member dies, the user has a chance to immediately revive them.

I'm normally down on 15% chance for anything, but any chance to potentially stop an unwinnable situation is worth it in my book.

Secret Remedy Compound
Requirements: Medicinal Knowledge level 5

For a set amount of turns, reduces the action speed of and amount of HP restored by herb skills, in exchange for upgrading the target type of herb skills. Single-target skills become row-target, row-target skills become party-target. Party-target skills receive no benefits and only suffer the speed and restore decreases. Has a 70% speed modifier at all levels.

Hey look, a thing that makes Area Herb completely irrelevant... In theory, anyway. In practice, spending 40 TP for a 6 turn buff that might not even be particularly useful is...dicey.

Chase Herb

When any party member takes damage, the user will heal them after the damage source has finished its turn. Each time Chase Herb activates, the chance of it activating again on that party member for that turn is decreased. The limit shown in the table is per party member. The base activation chance is 100%. Has a 300% speed modifier at all levels.

An effective method of proactive healing. Sure, I'll take it.

Delayed Herb

At the start of the next turn, restores all party members' HP. If the user is unable to act on the next turn, Delayed Herb will fail. Initial prep has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

I mostly used Delayed Herb as a way to give my party an Herb Boost buff at the start of a turn when my Herbalist had nothing else to do. It worked out better than you might initially think!

Lingering Scent
Requirements: Chase Herb level 3, Delayed Herb level 3
Body parts used: None

For a set amount of turns, the effect of the last used herb skill will be repeated at the end of the turn. If the last used herb skill restores HP, the amount it heals is reduced. Has a 40% speed modifier at all levels.

I can think of worse buffs. Gives you 10 turns of a bit of chip healing at the end of a turn for 9 TP and 10 skill points.

Innocent Poisoner Skills
Common Passives: TP Up, Curb ATK Up

Smoke Boost

Increases the speed of Smoke skills, as well as reducing their TP costs. The TP cost reduction is performed by subtracting a static amount from the base cost, and then multiplying that by a percentage.

This is basically Prayer Mastery but for Smoke skills. Unlike Prayer Mastery, though, the TP cost reduction isn't the important part--the speed modifier is. I don't think you need me to tell you that ailment skills going off before enemies can act is pretty drat important.

Paralyze Smoke
Requirements: Antibody level 3

Attempts to inflict paralysis on one row of enemies. Reduces each enemy in that row's resistance to paralysis for a set amount of turns. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Eh. Paralysis really isn't that reliable, even less so than blind.

Bungling Smoke
Requirements: Antibody level 3

Attempts to inflict panic on one row of enemies. Reduces each enemy in that row's resistance to panic for a set amount of turns. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Panic's obviously really goddamn good, but enjoy trying to inflict it reliably with that base chance and that resistance debuff.

Smoke Bomb
Requirements: Paralyze Smoke level 3, Bungling Smoke level 3

Dispels one debuff from an enemy. Deals ranged INT-based fire damage to the target. Does nothing if the target does not have both an ailment and a debuff. Has no speed modifier at all levels. Does not check for accuracy.

1200% loving INT damage. Smoke Bomb is a big reason why I reclassed a Lunarian into a Smoke Herbalist, instead of an Earthrun.

Smoke Spark
Requirements: Smoke Rot level 5

Targets one enemy. If that enemy has a Smoke debuff, attempts to stun them. Has a 300% speed modifier at all levels.

Even with a chance that high, good luck trying to stun a boss or even most FOEs with this.

Smoke Solid
Requirements: Smoke Rot level 5

Targets one enemy. If that enemy has a Smoke debuff, attempts to inflict petrification. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

On the other hand, 75% base chance to inflict petrification? gently caress yes gimme gimme gimme. Most bosses in the game have 25% resistance at best to petrify, and a few even only have 50%.

Persisting Scent
Requirements: Smoke Spark level 3, Smoke Solid level 3

For a set amount of turns, gives a chance to attempt to inflict the last used smoke skill's ailment to all enemies at the end of the turn. The specific chance is unknown, as it's not in Persisting Scent's data. If Persisting Scent is a lower level than the last used smoke skill, Persisting Scent's level will override the smoke skill's, ie. if you last used a level 10 smoke skill and have a level 5 Persisting Scent, the ailment infliction will act as if the smoke skill is level 5. Has a 70% speed modifier at all levels.

Kind of turns Smoke skills into Arcanist Circles from EO4, except not quite as reliable. There's worse things to put points into.

Preemptive Smoke
Requirements: Smoke Spark level 3, Smoke Solid level 3

Gives the user a chance to use a random Smoke skill on the enemy front line at the start of battle. The chance to activate depends on how many Smoke skills the user knows.

Kind of useful in random encounters, absolutely worthless in FOE and boss fights.

Rea fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 28, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Common Passives

And for the sake of completion, here's the common passives. I don't really have any opinions on them, this update's just a table dump, basically.

HP Up
Learnable by: Adamantine Dragoon, Devastating Fistfighter (Cestus), Death-Warding Reaper, Spirit-Summoning Necromancer, Four Heavens as One Masurao, Heaven's Wrath Shaman, Deeply Compassionate Doctor (Herbalist)

Increases maximum HP.

TP Up
Learnable by: Gunpowder Dragoon, Death-Bringing Reaper, Master of the Six Ways (Warlock), Spirit-Destroying Necromancer, Dog-Leading Hound, Single Peerless Blade Masurao, Heaven's Wrath Shaman, Innocent Poisoner (Herbalist)

Increases maximum TP.

Phys ATK Up / Mag ATK Up
Phys ATK Up learnable by: Thunderclap Fencer, Gunpowder Dragoon, Cestus, Death-Bringing Reaper, Falcon-Accompanied Hound, Four Heavens as One Masurao
Mag ATK Up learnable by: Ruler of Fire, Ice, and Lightning (Warlock), Spirit-Destroying Necromancer, Heaven's Wrath Shaman

Increases physical or elemental damage.

Mag DEF Up
Learnable by: Death-Warding Reaper, Heaven's Love Shaman

Increases elemental defense.

Speed Up
Learnable by: Thunderclap Fencer, Combo Boxer (Cestus), Falcon-Accompanied Hound, Single Peerless Blade Masurao

Increases action speed and non-base accuracy/evasion.

Curb ATK Up
Learnable by: Combo Boxer (Cestus), Death-Bringing Reaper, Spirit-Summoning Necromancer, Dog-Leading Hound, Innocent Poisoner (Herbalist)

Increases the user's chance of inflicting ailments and binds.

Curb DEF Up
Learnable by: Devastating Fistfighter (Cestus), Ruler of Fire, Ice, and Lightning (Warlock), Heaven's Love Shaman, Deeply Compassionate Doctor (Herbalist)

Reduces the chance of having ailments and binds inflicted on the user.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 12: Unexpected Baboons

...Oh my gods, this is really good! Remus must have good connections to get the recipe for this...
Either that, or he paid good money for it. Brownie recipes usually don't come cheap.
When you say "don't come cheap," do you mean the food the recipe makes, too?
Most of the time, yeah.
Dosen. We can never let anyone learn about this recipe. Imagine the enterprise we could--
I, um, kind of hate to burst bubbles, but... Raven and Mio already shared the recipe with some other explorers.
...Well, not every good idea pans out, I guess.

Let's take care of 8F proper now.

Which is pretty much just the right side of the map. The upper-left corner is an optional area plus a bit of secret area we won't be going to for a while.

Fun.

(Obtained 1 Dolomite naturally, 2 Razorstones from Iseria, and 1 Dolomite from Sasha.)

8F, F5 Mine Point
  • Dolomite. 28% chance. Sells for 60 en.
    • 1 needed to make Burial Urn (+39 ATK, +51 MATK, VIT Up 2, Bronze x3).
    • 1 Poisonous Pudding (Pop Pudding conditional) and 1 Dolomite needed to make Damper Shield (+19 DEF, +9 MDEF, +15% bash resistance).
  • Razorstone. 65% chance. Sells for 70 en.
    • 1 needed to make Namioyogi
    • 1 Huge Wristbone (Bounce Parrot conditional) and 1 Razorstone needed to make Mandau (+49 ATK, +49 MATK, INT Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 2 Razorstones and 2 Pudding Cores (Pop Pudding normal) needed to make Slice Armor (+30 DEF, +20 MDEF).
  • Rozafern. 7% chance. Sells for 350 en.
    • 1 needed to make Luck Necklace (+15 TP, +12 LUC).
  • Ambush Chance: 10%

You're starting to feel tired from walking through this place for who several hours, when suddenly you hear a noise like someone groaning. Thinking this is strange, you approach to investigate, only to find an adventure straining to move a large rock.

Well, uh... Hi. You look...really similar to Cecil.

Cestus 3 is the best portrait, what can I say

um yeah duh thank's

(the hair is supposed to be similar to Highlander 1 from EO2U because that's what Glock was in EO2U)

They tell you that they're Glock, from Guild TFKrew, and apparently they'd told their companions to go on ahead while they picked up something they'd left behind.
What is...that? What is with its bizarre cone-with-peaks shape?
It resembles a ball, almost...

This is a Feats of Strength check.

Iseria steps forward and suggests that they can hold up the rock while Glock recovers their item.
A sound plan, no?
Why not let Slab of Beef 2 lift the boulder? Are you sure someone of your build can do that?
Behold!
After an exchange of nods to confirm the plan, Iseria lets out a shout and raises the boulder by pushing it from the side.
...I will admit, that is impressive.
Meanwhile, Glock picks up their item, apparently some sort of charm ball. Glock thanks you profusely and takes out some flat white bread to offer you as thanks.

(Obtained Whitebread!)

After you accept the bread, they leave the area. You, too, return to your exploring.

"Victim of the fallen rocks

You encountered an explorer in trouble and made use of your incredible strength to help them out."

For the record, failing the Feats of Strength check means a random character gets damaged. You'll still finish the Episode, though.

Specifically, you make a lever out of a stick but it snaps and hits someone in the face.

What a hideous baboon.
How can you tell it's a baboon under all that hair?
Pretty sure big noses aren't what baboons are known for.
...Have none of you, besides Lanzon, seen a baboon before? Do you not know about their-- Never mind.

Haughty Hermits (henceforth baboons) usually aggro on you as soon as you enter a room, and will do either of these two things: try to shove a rock in your direction, or if that's not possible, directly chase you.

For what it's worth, the monster is clearly based on a tengu, a kind of goblin from Japanese folklore. They're known for both their long noses and for dropping rocks on people from mountains.

Their internal model name is even "tenguzaru," which is basically "tengu monkey."

We can't get past that baboon as is without killing it, so we'll have to take the side way.

Remember how I said baboons usually aggro as soon as you enter? That's only the case if there's no rocks they can shove on you.

Notice how this one is right behind the rock, and has its "preparing to shove" animation active. If we get on the same vertical axis as it, and then take another step...

Right before you step forward, a monster pushed a rock pillar onto your path! Even worse, it was clearly aiming for you!
You cheeky monkey.
Never underestimate an ape's intelligence.
You should probably expect them to try this again in the future, so you make sure to watch your step.

The baboon will shove the rock towards us, and then aggro on us.

Getting hit by the rock directly deals like 300 damage to the entire party, essentially leaving everyone at 1 HP.

Evading that one's no problem.

This room's much larger than the last one, and has far more boulders for the baboon to shove on us.

...It's kind of hard to see because of draw distance, but there's a chest near that boulder.

For the record, EO5 changed how the engine renders dungeon floors to be more similar to how the DS games did things, which is why draw distance is a thing again. EO4, EOU, and EO2U all pre-baked the dungeon floors as individual giant models and rendered everything the player could see. For performance reasons (EO2U had some FPS issues with certain large areas, especially in the 4th Stratum), and to reduce the game's overall size on the cartridge/SD card, EO5 instead programatically defines floors in table files, and then assembles them on the fly using individual part models.

MY EARS! Why is that monkey screeching so loudly?!
Gonna guess it's angry that we shoved the boulder before it could.

If we shove a boulder before the baboon gets to, it'll aggro on us, and move away from the boulder it was preparing to shove.

...Sorry.
Welp. Now we're boxed in by the baboon.

I have no choice but to engage the Haughty Hermit in a fight and immediately run, for...certain reasons.

It can't catch us if we run that way!

I never wanted to know what it feels like to be chased by a baboon!
What is with this bizarre monkey? Is it just this territorial?
Actually, baboons aren't really--
Less biology lecture, more running.

(Obtained Poison Knuckle!)

That was so not worth it.

that 10 ental could save your life some day...

The fact that the baboon is behind me meant I could just immediately beeline for the door, and get out safely.

One last room: we could either go for the simple solution, or go for the treasure chest at the very back, the path to which has a high potential for me to screw it up and get boxed in by a baboon.

...I apologize if I sound rude, but who is responsible for navigation decisions?
Hello.
Why are we going for this treasure chest?
The sign of the Dinogator, much to my chagrin, knows all. Do not question it.
I...beg your pardon?
Listen, I'll...explain later. Let's just go with it for now.

We, uh... We appear to have boxed ourselves in for...1000 en.
The sign of the Dinogator knows all.
Please tell me we have an Ariadne Thread.
Pardon, but what's an Ariadne Thread?
...Iseria. Dear. Were you responsible for preparing our provisions today?
Yes? Why do you ask?
We don't have a Thread, do we.

I AM GOOD AT ETRIAN ODYSSEY

We don't have much of a choice.

If I'm gonna go down, might as well go down fighting.

You can always use the Full Retreat Union skill to go back to the beginning of the floor you know.

Yes, but where's the fun in that? (Also force of habit is very strong and I keep forgetting that exists.)

Haughty Hermit
HP: 6448
STR: 67
INT: 52
VIT: 46
WIS: 46
AGI: 51
LUC: 47
Skills:
  • Tengu Fist: Uses the arms. Deals 140% melee STR-based bash damage to one party member, with splash damage. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Call Allies: Uses the head. Summons either two Bounce Parrots to the front row (putting the Haughty Hermit in the back row), or two Numbing Cicadas to the front row (leaving the Haughty Hermit in the front row). Has an 800% speed modifier.
  • Substitute: Uses the arms. One enemy will take all damage for the Haughty Hermit for one turn.
Drops:
  • Normal: Tengu's Long Nose. 100% chance. Sells for 536 en.
    • 1 needed to make Carrot (+41 ATK, +61 MATK, Purifying Flame, Silver x3).
    • 1 needed to make Nose Mail (+32 DEF, +26 MDEF).
Damage Resistances:
125% 125% 125%
100% 100% 100%
Disable Resistances:
50% 50% 50% 50% 75% 50% 50%
50% 10%
50% 50% 50%

Haughty Hermits are actually fairly weak on their own, but the problem with them is Substitute, since having to deal with other enemies means you're losing TP on dealing with things that aren't the Haughty Hermit.

Iseria'll use Chain Shock when Lanzon's not gonna use Fire Bomb, and Chain Fire otherwise.

Sasha will alternate between Line Guard and Gun Mount.

Lanzon'll summon another ghost.

Flash of Both Wings apparently has priority or something, so I have Gram use Target Arrow to combine with Chains.

And I have Magda use Poison Smoke--if not to actually inflict poison, then to combo with Poison Bomb.

Target's right there, Falz.

Allow me, first!

Well then. I...didn't expect that.

OH DEAR GODS I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW I COULD FEEL PAIN ANY MORE!

Toss this wretched baboon in a shallow grave, and then I might consider contributing!
You don't have much of a say in this matter, B. Don't get cozy just yet.

Ugh.

That baboon is...vomiting quite viciously.

Unfortunately, 6448 HP will take quite a while to whittle down, even with poison damage.

(Normal attack.)

Getting desperate already?

Oh yeah, I recasted Hawk Whistle to restore Falz's HP.

That was kind of boneheaded, in retrospect. The summon row isn't targeted very often and I could've just had Magda use Cure Herb or even just tossed Falz some Medicas.

That fur of yours looks quite combustible.

Please, why couldn't you summon C?
You can't shirk your duties that easily, B, dear.

It's so...mangy. Eugh.

Here's how hard Iseria hits with the Smoke Rot debuff, incidentally.

(Tengu Fist.)

If both of the ghosts decide to do something when they're not being blown up, I get around 80 damage a turn from summons.

Chewing through this much HP at our current level is still something of a slog.

(Call Allies cast 1.)

We haven't actually seen Bounce Parrots in a fight yet, so here's their info.

Bounce Parrot
HP: 541
STR: 55
INT: 44
VIT: 37
WIS: 34
AGI: 40
LUC: 36
Skills:
  • Parroting: Uses the legs. Counters all physical damage to the Bounce Parrot with 160% melee STR-based cut damage to the source. Has 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Crested Bird Wing. 65% chance. Sells for 55 en.
    • 2 needed to make Green Leaf (+19 DEF, +29 MDEF).
    • 1 Crested Bird Wing and 1 Chipped Goat Horn (Cliff Goat) needed to make Magii Irana (+45 ATK, +45 MATK, STR Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 2 Hound Jawbones (Giant Spotted Dog) and 1 Crested Bird Wing needed to make Tinbe (+21 DEF, +13 MDEF).
  • Rare: Parrot Crown. 55% chance. Sells for 59 en.
    • 1 needed to make Parrot Wand (+38 ATK, +57 MATK, AGI Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 2 needed to make Wing Mitt (+13 DEF, +14 MDEF).
    • Conditional: Electrified Beak (Kill with volt damage). 100% chance. Sells for 112 en.
      [list]
    • 1 needed to make Parrot Gun (+44 ATK, +49 MATK, Lightning Shot, Bronze x4).
Damage Resistances:
100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 150%
Disable Resistances:
100% 150% 100% 50% 100% 100% 100%
100% 100%
100% 100% 100%

Bounce Parrots are incredibly annoying to take down exclusively with physical damage, which is...basically all we have.

Except for poison and Fire Bomb. We can thankfully clear them out using those.

Oh yeah, Magda also has Tri-Attack. Let's use that!

Quas...wex...exort! Yes, I think that's what the reagents were.

Tri-Attack hits all enemies for three instances of INT-based damage--one fire, one ice, one volt. It's useful for random encounters, or any fight with multiple targets.

(Substitute.)

Using other monsters as meat shields? Hoho, quite the devious monkey.

(Both Bounce Parrots used Parroting.)

Obnoxious avians, trying to outsmart us.

Flash of Both Wings, which I used earlier, outspeeds everything because priority, so the parrots basically wasted a turn!

Please, end this!

wait what B no

The merciful release of vanishing into the ether...
You'll be right back, don't you worry.

dammit

Can't say I ever wanted to know what parrot vomit looks like... Or parrot innards... Or parrot innards covered in parrot vomit... Urp...

(Dark Smoke.)

Wait, those aren't tears... Are those...melted baboon eyeballs?!
Do you have a better idea for blinding them?
A-as murderous as they are, they're still living beings! What's wrong with you?! At least kill them mercifully!

Still pretty slow-going.

I decided to start using Fire Bomb.

It helps make this go faster.

(Call Allies cast 2.)

A couple of turns where nothing happens later, and we get two incredibly annoying enemies thrown into the mix.

(Dying Curse.)

loving OOPS.

At least I was able to apply poison again.

As long as nothing terrible happens, I'll probably actually win this.

Such brutality...is the way of wild beasts...

me and my big mouth

there goes my primary damage dealer

drat...overgrown monkey...

and there goes a key support

...Medicine for counteracting death exists?! How in the world--
You'll be better off if you just don't question how Nectars work, trust me!

Even without poison, I predict the baboon will die on this turn.

Ah, perfect, I only singed, not burned, the baboon's hair.

Hey, look, I was right.

I'd say "that had no business working," but honestly, poison's actually pretty strong. That could've been slightly quicker if I was less lucky with Poison Smoke, but them's the breaks.

(Obtained 1 Dolomite naturally, 1 Rozafern from Iseria, and 1 Rozafern from Sasha.)

8F, B5 Mine Point
  • Dolomite. 61% chance. Sells for 60 en.
    • 1 needed to make Burial Urn (+39 ATK, +51 MATK, VIT Up 2, Bronze x3).
    • 1 Poisonous Pudding (Pop Pudding conditional) and 1 Dolomite needed to make Damper Shield (+19 DEF, +9 MDEF, +15% bash resistance).
  • Razorstone. 25% chance. Sells for 70 en.
    • 1 needed to make Namioyogi
    • 1 Huge Wristbone (Bounce Parrot conditional) and 1 Razorstone needed to make Mandau (+49 ATK, +49 MATK, INT Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 2 Razorstones and 2 Pudding Cores (Pop Pudding normal) needed to make Slice Armor (+30 DEF, +20 MDEF).
  • Rozafern. 14% chance. Sells for 350 en.
    • 1 needed to make Luck Necklace (+15 TP, +12 LUC).
  • Ambush Chance: 3%

As you travel through the Labyrinth, you notice a small hole in the cliff. What's more, you think you caught a glimpse of a white light coming from inside. You can either investigate it or not.
Why not, honestly?
As you approach the hole, a single squirrel merges and bares its teeth at you in a threatening way. Whatever the source of the light was, you'd have to get through this squirrel first. When you examine your surroundings you notice what seem to be the leftovers of Labyrinth Berries scattered about. Perhaps the squirrel likes to eat those.

Luckily, you happen to have some on hand.

Not having any Labyrinth Berries means the squirrel will electrocute us. The Adventure Episode will end after that.

Oh, what's the harm? Go on, have some!
You take a berry out of your bag and hold it up to the squirrel. While it's wary at first, once it gets its nose close enough to sniff it, it readily accepts. As if to thank you for the gift, it then leaves its burrow. Upon investigation, you find a pile of Lunarian Silver Coins.

(Obtained Lunarian Silver Coin.)

You stuff the coins in your bag and return to exploring.

"Encounter with a squirrel

You noticed something shiny in a hole, and peacefully negotiated with its resident to obtain some silver coins."

I went back to town without going up to 9F since going anywhere in the Labyrinth with a dead party member and no Ariadne Thread is really goddamn risky.

Parrot Waddy (+38 ATK, +57 MATK, AGI Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Parrot Crown (Bounce Parrot rare).

Namioyogi (+47 ATK, +32 MATK, STR Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Razorstone (2nd Stratum Mine 2).

Magii Irana (+45 ATK, +45 MATK, STR Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Crested Bird Wing (Bounce Parrot normal) and 1 Chipped Goat Horn (Cliff Goat).

Burial Urn (+39 ATK, +51 MATK, VIT Up 2, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Dolomite (2nd Stratum Mine 1).

Carrot (+41 ATK, +61 MATK, Purifying Flame, Silver x3) is made from 1 Tengu's Long Nose (Haughty Hermit normal). Note that sometimes equipment skills are just normal player skills, not their own unique things--in this case, the Carrot (seriously what's with that name) has the Shaman skill Purifying Flame, aka Not-Monarch March.

Seriously, someone tell me what's up with that name. There are a lot of obscure foreign weapons and items used in this game (I didn't know what a waddy was until I did this, and Magii Irana is Okinawan for Big Scythe), so it's probably some kind of burial device that sounds sort of like carrot?

Slice Armor (+30 DEF, +20 MDEF) is made from 2 Razorstones (2nd Stratum Mine 2) and 2 Pudding Cores (Pop Pudding normal).

Nose Mail (+32 DEF, +26 MDEF) is made from 1 Tengu's Long Nose (Haughty Hermit normal).

Green Leaf (+19 DEF, +29 MDEF) is made from 2 Crested Bird Wings (Bounce Parrot normal).

Wing Mitt (+13 DEF, +14 MDEF) is made from 2 Parrot Crowns (Bounce Parrot rare).

Damper Shield (+19 DEF, +9 MDEF, +15% bash resistance) is made from 1 Poisonous Pudding (Pop Pudding conditional) and 1 Dolomite (2nd Stratum Mine 1).

Luck Necklace (+15 TP, +12 LUC) is made from 1 Rozafern (2nd Stratum Mine 3).

I remembered I had level ups to spend after going back in to the Labyrinth.

I had Lanzon learn Athletic Training to boost his LUC a bit.

I'd say "now we go back to town for real," but I actually have a bit of an optional area to take care of.

SO MANY GODSDAMNED MONKEYS RUN RUN RUN!

Firstly, beeline for the other side of the giant room. Do not stop.

Next, shove this boulder out of the way.

Thirdly, laugh at the baboons' inability to catch you.

Lastly, get into a battle, for karmic retribution.

(Obtained Unihorn.)

Unihorns dispel all enemy buffs and debuffs. Contrary to EO2U, where buffs and debuffs were an incredibly big part of the game, not many bosses in EO5 really buff themselves, so this isn't terribly useful.

(Obtained Gorgon Bow!)

The Gorgon Bow (+50 ATK, +40 MATK, Petrifying Hit) is...interesting. Petrifying Hit costs 3 TP, has the same damage as a normal attack, and attempts to inflict petrification with a 34% base chance.

ugh ailment weapon toss it

It's got a low chance, but given that petrification is normally pretty hard to inflict, with only a few advance classes having weird conditional skills that deal it, it's not a bad thing to keep around.

Okay now it's town time.

My little sister is a-DO-rable. She's got this quiet elegance paired with a blazing seriousness. She's always saying these super cool things like, "I have two terrible role models, so thank you; I know exactly what kind of person not to be when I grow up." Haha, yeahhhh, take that, Sis! Shade! THROWN. Ahahahahaha!
G-Genetta, dear... Perhaps think about who the other "terrible role model" might be?
What huh? You're saying that I'm the other one of the two? She's including me? ...Oh my god, she totally is. N'hawwww... I feel so betraaaaayed...

So, you know, we Brownies stay small even when we're adults, so other races always treat us like we're kids our whole lives. But, frankly, this is more of a point in our favor than anything when you're thinking business- people really let their guard down when they're dealing with kids, merchants or noblemen alike.
Shrewd.
Not to mention that legendary assassin, who approached his targets with an innocent smile that screamed, "I wouldn't hurt a fly," before he-- Why am I telling you all of this?! Hahahahaha! Hey, why don't you just be a pal and forget I said all that, right? Right.
...C-Ceric, is there something you're hiding from us...?

One forge for Iseria's sword.

So you saw a giant mammoth in the Labyrinth?
We had to chart a path around it. I feel that goes beyond "saw it."
I've heard that there's evidence that mammoths like that called "Oliphants" used to live all across the continent of Arcadia. To think an animal from ancient times is still living and breathing in the Labyrinth... Yggdrasil never fails to surprise.

Patrons.

#1: Slender-eyed doctor:

Doctor: Hahaha, I can't believe I ran into another huge nuisance... It's those giant parrots this time. Once they put put up their guard, they'll counterattack no matter how you smack 'em. Beak to the face! Now that's what they call parroting, if you'll pardon the pun. But it doesn't seem like they can counter magical attacks. Not to mention they seemed pretty weak to lightning. Maybe that's what I should be aiming for.

#2: Casmir the bug enthusiast:

Casmir: Hmm... Would you kind folks happen to be interested in bugs?
Oh, yes!
Casmir: I knew it! Kindred souls! You looked like the types! Feel free to come talk to me if you ever miss any notable insects in the Labyrinth. I'd be willing to part with the same type for a reasonable sum!

You can look at and then buy bugs from Casmir. I'm blanking on what they do right now.

Quest time.

#1: New menu development journal II:

So you've taken that one, huh? Thanks. Remember that time you had to go get a giant crayfish claw? Well, I checked out the restaurant, and apparently the client was just an airhead. The manager was really giving him hell for it, asking him how the hell anyone could possibly get that mixed up, when they already had plenty of shellfish anyway. But to cut a long story short, they tried cooking it anyway and the customers loved it. The restaurant's getting pretty popular, so no harm no foul. Anyway, this request is from the same scatterbrained client. This time he wants 1 Milk, 2 Eggs, and 3 Wheat. All sounds pretty normal to me, so at least we don't have to worry about this being another mix up. And if you don't have a way to get the goods, maybe you could even just buy them from the merchants who sometimes stop by the bar. Either way, good luck.

#2: A favor for Ceric I:

So you've taken that one? Okay. That one's...let's see here...oh, it's from Ceric. That's the third one you've taken from him, so do I even need to explain? Just go talk to him to confirm what he wants. And be careful out there.

Quest patron: Man with large pack:

Pack Man: Hm? You need something? Oh, you're wondering what's in this bag? Ingredients, mostly. I come to town to sell them. What, you need some? I'd be happy to sell you them if I've got 'em. ...Hmm, so you need Milk, Wheat, and Eggs? Sure thing.

I, uh... It turns out I already have everything.

Looks like you've got the ingredients. Thank you. Hopefully the kid won't get scolded this time. I'll be delivering them, as usual. Here's your reward, and keep it up.

(Obtained 1800 en.)

I forgot to spend the level ups before ending the update. WHOOPS.

If you're floundering with monsters, take a breather on lower floors you've already explored. Give yourself a bit to tweak your set-up. Especially equipment; you want to be balanced between "kill" and "don't die." It's work, and it's boring as hell, but it'll save your life.

...Hmnaaaaauuuuuuunnnngggghhh.
You okay? That's an exhausted yawn if I've ever heard one.
Oh. It's you all. I'm, er, I'm sorry, I should be more on point in front of you. I'm just tired. The Council's been very busy mediating disputes between the four races--they were bound to occur with us all in one town, but I can't help but feel drained. In all honesty, I'd appreciate it if you'd come to talk like this more often; it's a nice change of pace.

And that does it for 8F. Next time: 9F.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Carrot coffins and negotiating with squirrels. Etrian Odyssey V is a strange, strange world.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I can't believe Ragnar chose the option to say he was interested in bugs. Also this thing needs to get to the next page ASAP.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Haughty Hermit summon parrots at 2/3 HP and Cicadas at 1/3 HP every time, but not sure enough to chime in about in in the LP itself.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Clarste posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure the Haughty Hermit summon parrots at 2/3 HP and Cicadas at 1/3 HP every time, but not sure enough to chime in about in in the LP itself.

I actually didn't notice that! You're right, though. I glossed over it mostly since Call Allies isn't really a skill, it's something rolled into the Haughty Hermit's AI script, which I can't read at all.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I actually didn't notice that! You're right, though. I glossed over it mostly since Call Allies isn't really a skill, it's something rolled into the Haughty Hermit's AI script, which I can't read at all.

You'd probably have to dig into the game code to read those as even with EO1 using lookup tables for its AI scripts, a lot of those values won't make sense unless you specifically know what they represent. I'd imagine raw actual scripts would be even harder to decipher.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

We've reached a breakthrough on Carrots! Apparently that's a Japanese term for a pendant containing the ashes (or hair or other body part) of a dead person. You know, like, in memory of them. It's also called a Memorial or Ash Pendant. The term "Carrot" is actually the registered trademark of a certain jewelry company, but they were popular enough that the word became the de facto term for these things in Japan, like Kleenex or Xerox.

So basically it's a portable (and stylish!) urn for someone's ashes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
An FOE that summons up a party is an interesting concept for one. I'd have thought they'd run out of those by now.

Joeaverage
Aug 1, 2014
Hope we get this in english some day.

In the meantime, progress towards new page!

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

If I may be honest, I really expected that fight with the baboon to end in an untimely game over. I know I definitely don't have luck facing FOEs on my first trip to their floors.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Efe posted:

If I may be honest, I really expected that fight with the baboon to end in an untimely game over. I know I definitely don't have luck facing FOEs on my first trip to their floors.

It doesn't have any particularly dangerous attacks, and summoning monsters is basically just stalling for time. So the only real danger is running out of TP. And Ragnar just bought a bazillion Amritas, so that wouldn't have been a danger either.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

How is TP recovery in this game? In EO2U, it was very lacking since you couldn't buy Amritas until you got to the 4th Stratum. And I believe the only other method was a dish that recovered a very small percentage of TP per turn.

I know there's Magic Heal, which is fairly helpful early on. And the potential truckload of Amritas you can grab.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

How is TP recovery in this game? In EO2U, it was very lacking since you couldn't buy Amritas until you got to the 4th Stratum. And I believe the only other method was a dish that recovered a very small percentage of TP per turn.

I know there's Magic Heal, which is fairly helpful early on. And the potential truckload of Amritas you can grab.

You can eat Pancakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Clarste posted:

You can eat Pancakes.

Fascinating.

(And there's your new page.)

• Locked thread