Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

orcinus posted:

Theorycrafting about what it would be like if Star Citizen actually came out is nice and all, but missed one glaring issue - even if it did somehow come out, and was technically completely functional, and contained all the features announced...

... it would still be unplayable and broken. Because the fundamental design of the game is either completely lacking, or totally broken, depending on the area, and people designing it couldn't be trusted to design a circle with a drafting compass.

hand waving translation:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BitBasher posted:

Doesn't the move to Lumberyard permanently put a nail in the idea of the promised feature of backers hosting their own servers themselves for free?

The Lumberyard license is only free if the game is single player with no online component, or of the online component is run on AWS. As far as I can see if someone uses Lumberyard with a non AWS server then the license is no longer free, meaning that if someone wants to host a private server they now have to pay for that license.

Am I missing something?

Someone needs to ask chris roberts this and see if he can hand wave an answer out of it.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Amarcarts posted:

The tide of the war is turning the goons are starting to lose

It was inevitable of course. As the release date draws closer and the truth becomes apparent the liars and haters will have no room to fester in.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE
,I just want to see Bezos' face when CIG announces their "Partnership" with Amazon. The man apparently makes Jobs look laid back and well adjusted.

Taxxe:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

kikkelivelho posted:

I know these twelve or so goons like to pretend that they are experts in all things design and software but lets make some things clear

Lumbertyard is not a "new" engine it is the Cryengine engine with a lot of added cloud based features and systems

Lumbertyard is fully a Cryengine engine and all source code fully licensed totally with rights to make games functioning over a computing cloud and licensing it forward to anyone who wants to make cloud based games.

Because Star Citizen was from the beginning based on cloud computing and large servers the only thing that they needed to do was to transfer their cloud servers from Google's cloud to Amazon's cloud and with the 2.6 patch that has been done (2.5 was still Google 2.6 is now running on Amazon's cloud).

The Amazon Lumberyard license is free right now and this will also be true for any future Star Citizen mod servers.

Lumberyard is using a slightly newer version of Cryengine as it's engine so when Star Citizen moves over to it all current features will remain intact but CIG will be free from all the Crytech licenses which will be a good thing since Crytech probably won't exist for long Star Citizen and CIG can avoid all the trouble that a Crytech bankruptcy can bring

The move to Lumberyard is a massive financial boost to everyone who dreams of running their own Star Citizen servers since that will now be considerably cheaper and easier.

If you're playing devil's advocate, alright, cool.

This open development process they're touting is complete bullshit, and it always has been. To me, the strongest indicator was the complete silence of star marine, and permabanning people on the forums for even asking it like they were some giant immature mod team with a lot of expecations to meet, to say nothing of the giant bullshit articles detailing waving it's giant fake fidelitous dick on selling you the game before they ever had any actual video of the game.

CryEngine being the chosen engine really shows just how out of touch Chris Roberts is. Now they're switching from one version of CryEngine to another version of CryEngine licensed by Amazon. Chris Roberts was on that press release saying it's been a thing for a whole year, and Crytech was having financial trouble before that.

Fact of the matter is, making the engine switch is not going to be easy, and with this revelation, people are lucky to have even anything new at all by late 2018.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 26, 2016

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

kikkelivelho posted:

It was inevitable of course. As the release date draws closer.

Hahahaha I like you, you are a balm to my boxing day hangover. :)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Please do not take Kikkelivelho seriously

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

kikkelivelho posted:

I know these twelve or so goons like to pretend that they are experts in all things design and software but lets make some things clear

Lumbertyard is not a "new" engine it is the Cryengine engine with a lot of added cloud based features and systems

Lumbertyard is fully a Cryengine engine and all source code fully licensed totally with rights to make games functioning over a computing cloud and licensing it forward to anyone who wants to make cloud based games.

Because Star Citizen was from the beginning based on cloud computing and large servers the only thing that they needed to do was to transfer their cloud servers from Google's cloud to Amazon's cloud and with the 2.6 patch that has been done (2.5 was still Google 2.6 is now running on Amazon's cloud).

The Amazon Lumberyard license is free right now and this will also be true for any future Star Citizen mod servers.

Lumberyard is using a slightly newer version of Cryengine as it's engine so when Star Citizen moves over to it all current features will remain intact but CIG will be free from all the Crytech licenses which will be a good thing since Crytech probably won't exist for long Star Citizen and CIG can avoid all the trouble that a Crytech bankruptcy can bring

The move to Lumberyard is a massive financial boost to everyone who dreams of running their own Star Citizen servers since that will now be considerably cheaper and easier.

I deleted my reply thinking this was sarcasm :negative:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
he has a better gimmick than surfacedetail at least

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Chunjee posted:

I deleted my reply thinking this was sarcasm :negative:

I'm pretty sure it was tbh, Kikkelivelho seems really good at it and I quite enjoy his posts. :)

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I assume this person has their own section in the DSM-5.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Zest posted:

... Jobs ... laid back and well adjusted.
Most dead men are.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Amarcarts posted:

The tide of the war is turning the goons are starting to lose

I've invested too much into this thread to lose.

Fight me irl.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Baxta posted:

Thank gently caress someone agrees with me. Everywhere else has been "YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T UNDERSTAND DEV" and i'm fairly certain I do as its my job. These people are deranged.

If you read it as "I don't understand game development" every time you see "you don't understand game development" then everything makes much more sense.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Most dead men are.

:rimshot:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BitBasher posted:

Doesn't the move to Lumberyard permanently put a nail in the idea of the promised feature of backers hosting their own servers themselves for free?

The Lumberyard license is only free if the game is single player with no online component, or of the online component is run on AWS. As far as I can see if someone uses Lumberyard with a non AWS server then the license is no longer free, meaning that if someone wants to host a private server they now have to pay for that license.

Am I missing something?

Well private servers were literally the last thing that CIG was ever going to do anyway.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Madcosby posted:

My predictions for 2017:

Star,citizen goons will physically hurt someone involved in the project and post it here for "lolz"

Then when they and anyone that supports itvgrts banned, theyll make an offsite forum thatll basically qualify as a hate site forum

Derek will post there regularly

Derek already made his own offsite when he got demodded.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Ticker at top of RSI "Boxing Day sale is now on".

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/extras?search=anniversary%202016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My daughter got one of these for Christmas. She loves the drat thing. Even as we speak she's grabbing her bear and running around it, asking us to push her. It's mom's turn so I get a bit of down time.

I pity those kids.

I was wondering when you were going to take a break from posting and spend some time with that adorable little scamp.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Samizdata posted:

I was wondering when you were going to take a break from posting and spend some time with that adorable little scamp.

My sister has a picture of her from her wedding where my kid has the most incredible "What the gently caress were you thinking?" look I have ever seen.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

kikkelivelho posted:

Yeah, but Lumberyard doesn't have all those years of custom CIG work, I mean, seriously, they rewrote about HALF of CryEngine. And it only took a couple of the engineers a day or so to port those changes... Wait. What? That's all bullshit. As much as their terribly open development not telling you about the engine change a year ago and it only taking two or some mandays to port the changes over. Which sort of makes you wonder what they have been doing with the rest of the time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Quick question, if I exchange a package for store credit to get one of these boxing day packages, will I retain access to Squadron 42? Another way to phrase the question is am I locked in for SC+SQ42?

lol

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I giggle when I look at how every other thread on the front page of that sub has a single-digit number of comments while that one has 267.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My daughter got one of these for Christmas. She loves the drat thing. Even as we speak she's grabbing her bear and running around it, asking us to push her. It's mom's turn so I get a bit of down time.

I pity those kids.

Gotta ask, sorry. Does she yell "GO FASTA, LOUSY MECH!"??

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ewe2 posted:

Similar, but I'm imagining a cascade of meows during a group griefing while an incel beats the poo poo out of his keyboard screaming SHUT UPPPPPP and his chariot-buddies swearing impotent vengeance. That poo poo will win the youtubes even harder.
What the hell is an incel? That some new fangled slang for single cell organism?

--edit:
Oh that, thanks Google.

There's no such thing as "involuntary celibates", at least not with able-bodied people. Hell, even Stephen Hawkings has the game on. If you were mentally retarded, then maybe. Wait... nevermind.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 26, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Combat Pretzel posted:

What the hell is an incel? That some new fangled slang for single cell organism?
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Incel can refer to:

Borac Incel Swimming Club
Incel Chimney, tallest structure in Banja Luka.
Incel, a trade name for Biricodar, pharmaceutical drug released by Vertex Pharmaceuticals

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Amarcarts posted:

edit: I suppose a second exception would be if there is good greifing potential. So the question is: How many $ is it worth giving CIG for the ability to greif Shitizens?

Let me answer with another question, since we evolved into homo sapiens has there ever been any other group with as much griefing potential as this? It would have made internet history.

Such a shame that it wasn't meant to be. :smith:

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Star Citizen: Its a pretty baffling situation in general

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
This is getting ridiculous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok1lWEq2Q-Q

I like it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I am the complete silence after this post.

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's no such thing as "involuntary celibates", at least not with able-bodied people. Hell, even Stephen Hawkings has the game on. If you were mentally retarded, then maybe. Wait... nevermind.

Their brains function fine, they just have hosed up ideas. Ideas like a fake reality where they paid to be winners, never confront any opposition and definitely no women to challenge them.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

kikkelivelho posted:

This was the best Christmas I can remember. I've never done so much overtime before the holidays and I was completely out of juice by the time the celebrations came. It was all worth it though when my nephews opened their gifts and found out that they were now both proud star citizens. gave both of them a Constellation package, expensive, but that's what Christmas is about isn't it. I gave them a quick image tour of the ships and tomorrow I'm going back to help them with installing the game. I can't remember when I was last this excited.
e: whoops wrong post for the reply.

But side note--I was this backer in 2013! I gifted my nephew a Freelancer package for Christmas in 2013 and was smug in the belief I was the coolest uncle ever. Fast forward a few months and I asked if he had tried Arena Commander only to learn he had traded the package for Steam credits. He was twelve at the time and in his words, "I hate to break it to you, but that Star Citizen game is never going to come out." Took me a few more weeks after that until I came to understand his wisdom.

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 26, 2016

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

BitBasher posted:

Am I missing something?

ROFL--Private servers. Did you ever see FREE Private Servers mentioned? On one hand we have the latest trend of rentable private servers. On the other hand we have CIG. This means two things: #1 There will never, ever be private servers in Star Citizen for the one simple fact that Star Citizen will never exist as a game. #2 If there ever were a game that got to the stage of enabling private servers--what are the chances of CIG not monetizing those servers to the hilt? If CIG ever had private servers I suspect they would cost more CompuServe and The Source did back in the 80's. "Private Servers are available for Star Citizen, rent yours now! 16 player instances for only 24.95 an hour!"

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
had a dream last night I was fighting sandi for my refund. lol does that count as a nightmare?

JC never thought this poo poo would get into my dreams ffs. Thank god I got out.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Yes Chris Roberts, the man that had no idea how zero gravity actually works in the video with Richard Garriott, based his game "from the beginning" on cloud computing. Right. He's been out of the tech industry for something like 15 years. I'm pretty sure he has no idea what cloud computing even is. He's not a smart person at all, and that's backed by a mountain of evidence form selecting the worst possible engine for a MMO, to contracting Illfonic, to paying 60 million for mocap that can't be imported into CryEngine. He acts smart but has no idea about how any of the technologies he blabbers about actually function.

His "instanced cloud meshes of servers" nonsense word vomit he released as proof of how he will support 1000 players sound exactly like "internet is a series of tubes" to anyone with even a even a basic background in computer networking. He's a total idiot.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Cloud computing is pretty easy to understand, it's Dropbox or sometimes Google Drive