Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Brave move! The thing that always gets me nervous in this game isn't the wildlife but the descent into the yawning abyss when I can't see anything in any direction. It really activates something primal in me, it's very scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Brave move! The thing that always gets me nervous in this game isn't the wildlife but the descent into the yawning abyss when I can't see anything in any direction. It really activates something primal in me, it's very scary.

Same here. I've gone scuba diving before, I'm a good swimmer, and I love the water, but something about being in ocean deep enough not to see anything but the water in all directions always wigs me out a little.

Also this game really makes me wish I could go do scuba again.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Crimson Harvest posted:

I had a nightmare about the goddamn Reaper last night. This summer I had a side job where I was the dive man dredging hydrilla out of the mill pond, well, the way that works is you have a guy on the boat and a rope tied to the boat, then the guy in the water (me) swims eight or ten feet down and finds a decent sized clump of weeds and ties the rope around the base, then the guy on the boat uses muscle or motor to rip the clump out and once you have a boatload you dump it on the shore and make compost out of it.

So seeing a big clump of hydrilla start to flash like reality is having trouble loading the textures, and then hearing the Reaper roar, that's enough to make a grown man wake up sweating and whimpering. I've killed a six foot rattlesnake with a fourteen inch kukri before but that goddamn Reaper turns me into a mewling baby.

Not a huge fan of that black abyss either. Ain't but System Shock 2 and Minecraft ever equaled this game for pants-making GBS threads terror.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

scuba school sucks posted:

I had a nightmare about the goddamn Reaper last night. This summer I had a side job where I was the dive man dredging hydrilla out of the mill pond, well, the way that works is you have a guy on the boat and a rope tied to the boat, then the guy in the water (me) swims eight or ten feet down and finds a decent sized clump of weeds and ties the rope around the base, then the guy on the boat uses muscle or motor to rip the clump out and once you have a boatload you dump it on the shore and make compost out of it.

So seeing a big clump of hydrilla start to flash like reality is having trouble loading the textures, and then hearing the Reaper roar, that's enough to make a grown man wake up sweating and whimpering. I've killed a six foot rattlesnake with a fourteen inch kukri before but that goddamn Reaper turns me into a mewling baby.

Not a huge fan of that black abyss either. Ain't but System Shock 2 and Minecraft ever equaled this game for pants-making GBS threads terror.

You're gonna have to expand upon 'Minecraft' there for us, I feel.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

jesus gently caress. kinda doing my first real runthrough of the game with this update, built my seamoth, was loving around in the mushroom area looking for fragments, trying ot find diamond to make the laser cutter to start exploring some wrecks. find a mountain, jump out of my seamoth to mine the side and get a diamond, turn around to go back and a loving bigass thing took off with my seamoth and blew it up. im not even mad, that was scary as poo poo and awesome. I guess that;s what that large energy signature in the area message was about?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

queeb posted:

jesus gently caress. kinda doing my first real runthrough of the game with this update, built my seamoth, was loving around in the mushroom area looking for fragments, trying ot find diamond to make the laser cutter to start exploring some wrecks. find a mountain, jump out of my seamoth to mine the side and get a diamond, turn around to go back and a loving bigass thing took off with my seamoth and blew it up. im not even mad, that was scary as poo poo and awesome. I guess that;s what that large energy signature in the area message was about?

Haha, nope that was just the welcome wagon!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is there anything specifically im looking for in the aurora? I wandered in, but its loving huge. there's a lot of bluepurints i've already scanned from wrecks in here as well but im afraid of missing something. I've just explored the cargo bay, prawn area and im in the airlock right now. I need to go back to the admin area and the seamoth area for sure.

so many free batteries and food and poo poo. and a power cell so far.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

queeb posted:

is there anything specifically im looking for in the aurora? I wandered in, but its loving huge. there's a lot of bluepurints i've already scanned from wrecks in here as well but im afraid of missing something. I've just explored the cargo bay, prawn area and im in the airlock right now. I need to go back to the admin area and the seamoth area for sure.

so many free batteries and food and poo poo. and a power cell so far.

Your objective is to turn off the reactor so it stops pouring radiation everywhere. But beyond that there is a Cyclops upgrade in there, easy scans for the PRAWN suit and some unique cosmetic stuff you can put up/build in your base.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Nah, it was the sea dragon, but the sounds were getting muted because of distance and the cyclops. Once I stepped outside it was pure nightmare :cry:

Realtalk, I clicked my link while my speaker was still on upstairs and freak myself out.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

found some crazy poo poo inside the floating island, can I do anything with this alien stuff?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

queeb posted:

found some crazy poo poo inside the floating island, can I do anything with this alien stuff?

Is it plants?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

nah like a stargate lookin thing

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

queeb posted:

There are a lot of references to 'the teleporters' on the wiki and in this thread, I'd assume it's one of those. I don't think any of them are working yet.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

queeb posted:

queeb posted:

Yes, keep playing and you will most likely figure it out, unless you are on Creative and the story is disabled. Here it is as a spoiler if you just want to know what it is all about and absolutely need to know right now.

You're right, it's basically a Stargate, but it can only teleport you between the Mountain Island and the Floating Island. You need some alien thingamajig power source to power it which you will find inside the Mountain Island Precursor base. The story will specifically send you there after a in game week or two.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I started playing again from the start since I heard there was a big patch, and I've got to say the introduced story makes a huge difference to the atmosphere. The way the other pods are introduced and then 'welp this is what happened to THOSE suckers' adds a lot more sense of you being on a dangerous world and deeply in the poo poo.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I am not normally a huge survival game fan, but this game's unique setting and look caught my interest more than naked mudmen in the woods hitting rocks with sticks.

I am considering buying it on the current steam sale but after doing some research I see a lot of people talking about horrendous performance and crashing issues once you play long enough. How serious are these bugs? How close is the game to actual release and are people more or less satisfied with how it's been handled?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I have those exact issues, but there is a workaround for fixing them. You have to clear out both cache folders in your saved game folder. This has the side effect of resetting world objects, so things you dropped on the ground will disappear, crystal you've picked up will respawn on the ground, opened doors will be closed again, etc. It doesn't affect your inventory, bases, or vehicles, so it's only a slight annoyance. I've had to do it twice in my 30 hours of play time.

Its early access state means that the storyline isn't finished yet, there's some materials that don't yet have recipes that they're used in, and there's a few minor bugs and unpolished bits.

Even given the above problems, it's still a great game. It starts off being about survival, but once you've gotten your basic needs taken care of, it becomes more focused on exploration.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Scoss posted:

I am not normally a huge survival game fan, but this game's unique setting and look caught my interest more than naked mudmen in the woods hitting rocks with sticks.

I am considering buying it on the current steam sale but after doing some research I see a lot of people talking about horrendous performance and crashing issues once you play long enough. How serious are these bugs? How close is the game to actual release and are people more or less satisfied with how it's been handled?

The experimental version of the game has no crash issues for me and the fps is a fair bit better, i played the experimental save for 50+ hours without any crashes before a unrelated game ending bug destroyed that save. So yeah the bugs are very severe. The game is utterly fantastic i think, but if you want a polished and complete experience i'd wait. Might still be worth considering buying it now tho even if you won't play it if you wanna take the risk, price will probably go up at release.

According to the roadmap Trello it's looking like a May 2017 release, but who knows.

People generally are very impressed with the game, but sad about the performance and crashes. It's to be expected tho with EA i feel.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 28, 2016

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Ok, one thing in this game bugs me and it's common across every Survival-type game I've ever played;

I'm really, really tired of my characters universally suffering from some kind of goddamn wasting illness where if I fail to stuff my face or drink a liter of water every 2 hours I immediately drop dead. For gently caress's sake, give me a day, at least! Or two! Christ.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Rhjamiz posted:

Ok, one thing in this game bugs me and it's common across every Survival-type game I've ever played;

I'm really, really tired of my characters universally suffering from some kind of goddamn wasting illness where if I fail to stuff my face or drink a liter of water every 2 hours I immediately drop dead. For gently caress's sake, give me a day, at least! Or two! Christ.

Dude it's an entire planet of fish, swim around while clicking and you'll inevitably get more fish than you can eat

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Danaru posted:

Dude it's an entire planet of fish, swim around while clicking and you'll inevitably get more fish than you can eat

You misunderstand. It's not that food is scarce. It's that I have to stop to stuff my face with annoying frequency. Because apparently I promptly die if I don't consume 2 liters of water every six hours.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Scoss posted:

Despite my nitpicks, it has enough promise to grab on a sale. Even if you just sit on it until they finally overhaul terrain instead of pushing the date back by a month ad nauseum, rather than immediately give it a shot.

I bought into it for the same reasons you are considering, but the development swings a bit between "I'm competent! Not a generic naked survival protag!" and them buckling to the sterotypical fanbase of 'Survival gamers' :airquote: Then realizing after a while maybe it was dumb to listen to them, when there are literally thousands of individual threads created about say, silver shortages no matter how many "LOL u just casual!" posters refute them and ask for more painful generic survival game mechanics, so intend to make things less bullshit. And so on.

As for when that the terrain overhaul happens, or when release will happen? Well, when I got into this during the summer "Release" would have been before the end of this year, and the terrain overhaul would have been October.

The Roadmap at this point should be treated more as a "What have they not done yet?" list alone, ignoring any dates listed.

It is true they are working hard on the game. But that starts to feel a bit strained the third month in a row they push back one of the biggest needed fixes to the game. Then their explanation is one sentence of "We didn't finish that key feature" followed by three paragraphs about how hard they are working you guuuuuuys. Capped off with a "Dates change, that's game design! :v:" statement regarding missing their self set dates this many times in a row.

Rhjamiz posted:

You misunderstand. It's not that food is scarce. It's that I have to stop to stuff my face with annoying frequency. Because apparently I promptly die if I don't consume 2 liters of water every six hours.

I miss old lantern fruit. It reduced the click times while in your base/Cyclops compared to using my infinite supply of fish and several varieties of water bottles.

But no, infinite food that is huge and rots to quickly to be portable is only of any use while safe at home is "OP". While infinite food and water you have to stop to grab out of your magical fish tank and slap onto the fabricator is somehow pro tier hardcore.

The fact it was nerfed so hard that eating as much fruit as you are allowed to before you puke blood still isn't as much food/water as a SINGLE fish provides... Is still considered "OP, because you don't have to cook it!" by the loudest section of the playerbase that got it nerfed in the first place... welp. (Not an exaggeration, stuffing your face full of as much fruit as you are allowed, is literally worth less than a single bottom tier fish or bottom tier water bottle you have had access to the second you start the game).

Really serves to highlight how so many of that demographic equates tedium/annoyance with hardcore. EZ Infinite food A is good, because I have to click more buttons! EZ Infinite food B is bad, because I have to click less despite it being a later unlock!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 28, 2016

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Rhjamiz posted:

Switch to the game mode without the need to eat or drink then D:
You can even do it on a game in progress by using the console.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Lantern fruit got nerfed, but the other plants are just as OP as they ever were. You get two grow beds and put the little melons in them, bang, never worry about food or water again. I mean once in a while you have to hit a couple of melons with your knife instead of stuffing your face, big deal I have to click five times per meal to have infinite food/water. I still use lantern trees just to top off that last 5% hunger/thirst. But then I roleplay anyway. My character IRL isn't a vegan, I'm not going to eat only fruit when there's meat available, so my character in the game is still going to fish even once I have the infinite fruit train rolling.

If I was you and not me I would straight up wait until the terrain overhaul before I bought this game though. I'm actually the bullshit strawman OMG MAH HARDCORE HARDCORENESS IMMERSION sperg that Section Z bitches about all the time, so I don't even mind that one time the Reaper glitched out of shallow land and ate my hardcore character. I mean it pissed me off at the time, but it means that from now on I can NEVER reach that level of complacency where I know for absolute certain that I am safe. As long as there's Reapers in the world, there's an extremely small but nonzero chance that one can glitch out of unloaded seafloor textures and kill me instantly with no chance to react or prevent my death. I like having that level of tension at all times, it doesn't matter if I have a Cyclops or even sleeping in my aboveground base, what if the Reaper can still get me?

I'm self-aware enough to know that 99% of gamers aren't like me and would consider that completely unacceptable in a product sold for real actual cash.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I just alternate between lantern fruit and potatoes and everything is good. Honestly the other plants are purely decorative.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rhjamiz posted:

You can RP as having diabetes, or being on spironolactone.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I played 20 hours with hunger/thirst needs.

Never again.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Rhjamiz posted:

This has also been one of my biggest pet peeves with survival games.

What exactly is so difficult about watching a meter and clicking something in your inventory every 5 minutes? Why does it need to be there?

E: That's a serious question, I really can't understand the type of person that thinks such a simple repetitive action is challenge.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
... Wait, the silver shortage is an actual thing? I thought it was just me. After forty minutes of searching for ONE so I could make a single drat habitat builder, I gave up and edited a silver in.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dyz posted:

What exactly is so difficult about watching a meter and clicking something in your inventory every 5 minutes? Why does it need to be there?

E: That's a serious question, I really can't understand the type of person that thinks such a simple repetitive action is challenge.

I can see it as a mechanic in other games as a way to gauge how far you can explore from "home base," which I assume will have some steady state way of having food/water (e.g., farm, well, etc) with some push-your-luck type elements from what you can scavenge from the wilderness. But in Subnautica, it's super useless since food is loving everywhere and what limits your ability to explore is either oxygen or pressure or teeth.

I really hope they add in a way to highlight stuff, since scavenging for my habitat builder is uh, not very productive.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

deathbot posted:

... Wait, the silver shortage is an actual thing? I thought it was just me. After forty minutes of searching for ONE so I could make a single drat habitat builder, I gave up and edited a silver in.
It's one of the more commonly and consistently created "I have a problem" threads since before I've even been playing this.

It's basically a combination of things. First, Silver is a very important material for many progression items so you're always in need of lots of it until suddenly you don't. Second, it only comes in a very particular node type which isn't even guaranteed to drop silver. Finally, combining those with the whims of RNjesus.

Which is why you get some people swimming in silver without even trying. Then others following all the usual technically good advice of "Oh just go to the caves filled with nothing but sandstone". Then after cracking open 40+ nodes they have only found 3-7 silver, and explaining this often results in merely being told "Well I got plenty of silver, you must not be trying hard enough :downs:"

Some people are particularly lacking in self awareness, I've literally seen people suggest "LOL Just use your Exosuit to dig up tons of silver!". Which.. is something you would already had to have found tons of silver already to make in the first place (Even if you rush the exo suit, you still need a moon pool an it's unique mod station to build it's drill arm).
I was so loving hyped when I read the in game datafiles about collecting stalker teeth by both killing them with knives, or just directly swiping them from ones still inside your alien containment tank. But you can't actually do that :sigh:

Then again, the Stasis rifle data file also suggests you use a conventional weapon because of how useless and nonlethal the statis rifle is :v: So the actual in game lore doesn't exactly match the player base's interpretation of "The lore means we are genetically incapable of even thinking about guns"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 28, 2016

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

It kinda sounds like sandstone just needs a different model from limestone. Unless there are a bunch of "GODDAMN loving GOLD gently caress!" threads to go along with all the can't find silver ones. Which I would totally understand because GODDAMN loving GOLD gently caress!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You'd think you would use gold for making wires and computer chips instead of silver.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
The hell is gold even for? I'm literally swimming in piles of it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Unhappy Meal posted:

It kinda sounds like sandstone just needs a different model from limestone. Unless there are a bunch of "GODDAMN loving GOLD gently caress!" threads to go along with all the can't find silver ones. Which I would totally understand because GODDAMN loving GOLD gently caress!

Plek posted:

The hell is gold even for? I'm literally swimming in piles of it.

Cojawfee posted:

You'd think you would use gold for making wires and computer chips instead of silver.

Good news, you DO use gold for wiring!... After you use silver to make the computer chips that are an ingredient for the wiring :pseudo: But what little gold is used for, is mostly important stuff at least. Though it's generally stuff you only ever need one of, unless you are being extravegant with lots of moon pools or needing to transmit power several miles away. On top of the fact that all of these are things you would have already needed silver to make what you are modifying, or using to build it in the first place, etc.

Advanced wiring kit. Used in a small stack of important things that you will either only build once ever, or maybe a few times tops. Like building the Cyclops, Moonpool, and thermal reactor mod for the exo suit. You will probably not even remember it needs two gold after going through the song and dance routine involved in building chips (I always build my first base near coral tubes for bleach and walls with shelf coral for chips).

Power Transmitter. Kinda required if you want to make usage of thermal generators. But also something you could end up going all game without ever making.

Polyaniline. An ingredient they added to the game (along with Hydrochloric acid) that just adds UI clicks towards building a Seamoth's Perimiter Defense shock mod, or seamoth radar.

Scanner Room HUD chip. :suicide:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 28, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The primary purpose of gold is to make you waste tons of titanium and quartz building more lockers to hold all the gold you have in case you ever actually need it (you don't).

Anyway I found a great, flat location for a base deep underwater, built it, put two nuclear reactors in there and then stepped outside and got instantly eaten by a reaper. Welp :saddowns:

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I started a new game over the holidays and it seems a lot less, well, fun. I have to stop what I'm doing to forage for batteries, since a seaglide's full charge goes out so quickly. The lifepods are buggy and some of them don't spawn. I don't even have a room yet, just a corridor piece with lockers full of empty batteries.

I should probably take out hunger and thirst until I get the basics running. At least water doesn't clip through the lifepod anymore.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Promontory posted:

I started a new game over the holidays and it seems a lot less, well, fun. I have to stop what I'm doing to forage for batteries, since a seaglide's full charge goes out so quickly. The lifepods are buggy and some of them don't spawn. I don't even have a room yet, just a corridor piece with lockers full of empty batteries.

I should probably take out hunger and thirst until I get the basics running. At least water doesn't clip through the lifepod anymore.

Take a scanner to any of the grassy plateau wrecks and get yourself a recharger.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

Then again, the Stasis rifle data file also suggests you use a conventional weapon because of how useless and nonlethal the statis rifle is :v: So the actual in game lore doesn't exactly match the player base's interpretation of "The lore means we are genetically incapable of even thinking about guns"

The ingame lore is that the reason you don't have any guns is because a previous survival situation turned into people fighting each other with them, so they took them out. Being as alterra is literally corporate hell government, the reason you don't have guns is because HR heard about a problem they caused once and so nobody is allowed to have them any more.

So yes, it's a bad weapon and you should use a better one for defence, yes we took all the better ones out of the printer, if you have an issue with this, please fill out the relevant paperwork and submit it to your line manager for review.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Promontory posted:

If you have the radiation gear from one of the lifepods and at least a welder, you can hit the Aurora up for a LOT of batteries and power cells. I think a number of them, and most of the food and water, are behind a door that needs a laser cutter though.