Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's like 5 stellar songs on Hamilton. That's a great accomplishment IMO but I cannot imagine sitting through the other two hours of the musical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Negativity hardens the soul.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Hugs are great 😢 merry Christmas

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I would just want to ask the loneliness to stop, for a while. A long while, if that is okay. I am sorry

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If your response to finding out there's no Santa Claus is to never trust your parents again, you were the only kid in the class who believed Billy's uncle worked at Nintendo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's a good thing I dislike it for entirely different reasons then - namely, because it is bad.

Your opinion is pretty nonsensical and not well thought out. That's why everyone is confused by what you are saying.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Das Boo posted:

I dunno, I think comics can be a halfway point between film and literature. A good artist can elevate the text and unlike film, a good idea won't be so terribly hampered by budget. Illustrations and woodcuts used to be a fairly common feature in literature, so it's not like looking at an image immediately dumbs down the text. Rather, a decent artist will give you subtext through imagery that might otherwise require a lengthy description. And one of my pet peeves of literature is a writer who smothers a thought in words.

:agreed:

I've posted it before but comics could've been a neat blend of text and imagery for conveying enormous amounts of information elegantly in a small amount of space. For a film director to have the same control over a shot as an artist they'd have to go full kubrick, either through excessive retakes or a lot of post processing, whereas an artist by default has as much control as their talent and imagination can take advantage of. In one person you essentially have the jobs of casting, shot direction, acting, production design, set design, etc, etc, etc and when unified under one coherent creative vision the results can be amazing. The rest can be managed through succinct use of text. When I read into the history of comic books I got a little salty when I became aware of just how hamstrung the medium became when a moral panic led to a number of cities actually banning them outright, resulting in fairly drastic measures that turned it into kid's medium to remain in publish. Before that happened there was a broader readership and comics covered a lot more topics than juvenile fantasies. The moral panic itself being at least half on dubious grounds didn't help either. I accept most comics then and now aren't very good but there's no good reason they can't be good now that there's more freedom.

The same's ultimately true of animated films, albeit what you gain in music, voice acting and control over pacing through a time axis, you somewhat lose in the extra bodies you need to make everything work - still, it's a fine way of expressing something neatly especially when everyone on-board has the same direction and it's a shame it's mostly a kid's thing too.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
My unpopular pinion is that all you stupid mother Fulkers with unpopular opinions should have a merry Christmas and also weer shouldn't correct sotto correct or swipe mistakes when phone paint

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Usually it is the opposite, but tequila is the only hard liquor that does not make me gag.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Music right now is the worst it's been since the late 90's. Pop and EDM dumber than they have ever been, and most of the indie stuff coming out is either gimmicky stuff where people are throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks, or so derivative it's hard to take seriously. Down the road I think this will be looked at as one of the most embarrassing and forgettable decades for music.

There's obvious exceptions but the sheer amount of interesting artists seems to be at a record low.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I guarantee someone has said the same thing about pretty much any year or era of music throughout the history of music. Music is the same as it always has been - some good, mostly forgettable/mediocre/bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Music's never going to get better overall, and neither will most other media. Get used to it or don't. If there aren't experimental artists out there, maybe it's because no one wants to pay for anything any more.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think some decades are worse than others. At least parts of decades. Either people run out of ideas or something truly terrible snowballs into popularity. there will always be a handful of interesting stuff happening in music. But 1996-2001 was a loving dark age with an incredibly disproportionate amount of bad music being made. Right now is the worst it has been since then.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
1960-1964 (i.e. post-Elvis, pre-Beatles if you're being reductive) is unfairly maligned for music.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

Music right now is the worst it's been since the late 90's. Pop and EDM dumber than they have ever been, and most of the indie stuff coming out is either gimmicky stuff where people are throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks, or so derivative it's hard to take seriously. Down the road I think this will be looked at as one of the most embarrassing and forgettable decades for music.

There's obvious exceptions but the sheer amount of interesting artists seems to be at a record low.

i agree kinda but with a lot of caveats

as far as actual diversity goes music's right now in the best place it's ever been and it'll probably trend that way for a while, the market's so big that bands doing niche genres of music that would've flamed out young from lack of interest are fairly sustainable now as long as their expectations for success are modest; their fraction shares of the market might remain low but in actual # of sales it's still enough to remain lucrative, because of that sustainability there's enough new music out there from all these little bands that you will find something new, interesting and to your taste if you try, at least in my experience - finding new music btw is the easiest it's ever been mostly because of apps and the like

on the other hand with the market being so big, any radio station or whatever that just sticks to the top 10, top 20, top 100 will probably make music seem generic and lcd - there's so much incentive for mass appeal, enough layers of accessibility and enough market to make that kind of strategy highly profitable even if you're not number 1 that there's not room for anything like, weird in the top 10, it's kind of narrowed down in some respects

mostly i'm okay with the situation because i can find things i like and i don't care if a lot of music i don't really enjoy is also getting made

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

hard counter posted:

mostly i'm okay with the situation because i can find things i like and i don't care if a lot of music i don't really enjoy is also getting made

:yeah:

I don't care if the music they play on the radio sucks. I don't even really know if it sucks, because I don't listen to the radio. If I can go on Spotify or Youtube or wherever and keep finding new and interesting songs, things from around the world, even in languages I don't know... This era is a great time for music. Accessibility and ability to support artists more directly are wonderful things.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

regardless of your opinion of her, it's also neat that people like Lindsey Stirling can eke out a slice without much support from the industry proper; you don't necessarily need to prove to some suits that there's abstract value in your brand just to get your foot into the business per se - you can reach out to the market directly

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

music is a trash genre!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The worst era of music was when every rock band also had a DJ scratching hot beatz.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Faded by Alan Walker is the gift of the magi for the year 2016

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I feel bad for people who like stuff. You poor, naive, dumb little idiots. Sweet and innocent and retarded as newborn babes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just watched The Ridiculous 6. It wasn't that bad.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Music right now is the worst it's been since the late 90's.

"Music was only good when I was the proper age for it" is a pretty popular opinion.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I think it is dumb and bad to post on social media about a celebrity death as if you knew the person personally

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
While I get what you mean, celebrity deaths impact people a lot more, because celebs are larger than life and are way, way more important than us normal people.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
"I can't comprehend how someone who was a huge influence dying can affect people"

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Field Mousepad posted:

"I can't comprehend how someone who was a huge influence dying can affect people"

durrrrr

That is not what I said even a little bit

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
People who legitimately believe dad rock is the best type of music have the worst opinions about music.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I'm somewhat on board re: people who post about how profoundly the death of a celebrity is affecting them - mostly because the celebrity is likely leaving a personal hole in the lives of those that truly knew them. Along similar lines, it also bugs me when acquaintances sob at somebody's funeral when the family is clearly trying to hold it together. "Read the room" seems too cold, maybe, but seriously.

burial has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Dec 27, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MizPiz posted:

People who legitimately believe dad rock is the best type of music have the worst opinions about music.

How do we define "dad rock" exactly? Is it a particular subset of classic rock or just classic rock in general?

This is something that's always bugged me a bit because my dad was a teenager in the 1970s and his favourite bands were the Bay City Rollers and ABBA.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The thing that really bothers me about celebrity deaths is that most of them aren't all that shocking but you always see "I'm so shocked!!!"

Well, you know, people aged 60 and older are, you know, old and die of old person things. It's shocking if somebody dies in an accident, especially younger than 60. Go ahead and be shocked about that. Go ahead and be shocked whenever somebody you like dies before 60. Go ahead! It's fine. Most people don't die before 60.

But please don't be shocked, horrified, and surprised when somebody that is old dies of old. That happens every day. A lot. Humans get old and die. It's perfectly normal. It isn't shocking at all. We're living things. That's what living things do. They grow old and they die.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Well yea, you notice the bulk of the grief has been focused on Prince and David Bowie?

Also, median age is 76-ish, so people dying at 60 is a bit shocking, particularly when you realize most celebrities have access to the best healthcare in the world.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

WampaLord posted:

Particularly when you realize most celebrities have access to the best healthcare in the world.

Yes, but it's balanced out by easy access to every illegal drug known to man.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

Well yea, you notice the bulk of the grief has been focused on Prince and David Bowie?

Also, median age is 76-ish, so people dying at 60 is a bit shocking, particularly when you realize most celebrities have access to the best healthcare in the world.

Celebrities also have access to all of the best drugs and enough money to buy a bottomless supply of all of them.

The other thing that isn't shocking is when a celebrity dies young of an overdose. Being famous is apparently pretty awful and famous people often find themselves consuming all of the substances to cope. It also comes with free access to all of the parties.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Yes, but it's balanced out by easy access to every illegal drug known to man.

And yet, Keith Richards.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

And yet, Keith Richards.

Some people are just inexplicably indestructible. Apparently English rock stars are just immune to everything.

Lemmy died at 70 and Ozzie is 68 and still trucking.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

How do we define "dad rock" exactly? Is it a particular subset of classic rock or just classic rock in general?

It's a phrase exclusively used by millennials so who cares. My dad's rock was Bill Haley on 78 RPM records. Everybody who has ever said "dad rock" had a dad who listens to Toto and/or Judas Priest and should probably just shut the gently caress up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
As annoying as naive, wide-eyed idealists and optimists can sometimes be, they're still way better than cynics. Cynicism is for babies who don't have the guts to care about things and/or maybe need to get treated for depression.

Not me though, my scathing and irreverent wit is healthy and good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WampaLord posted:

"Music was only good when I was the proper age for it" is a pretty popular opinion.

That's not what I said though. I was a teenager in the late 90's and I've always hated that era. 2010ish and beyond has been the worst since then for a bunch of reasons.

To some degree it's probably me getting old though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

That's not what I said though. I was a teenager in the late 90's and I've always hated that era.

You just had/have a very narrow cultural scope.