Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The download link isn't working for me. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Finished the Bloody Mary challenge with a great early pickup of the Yum Heart. I missed the stackable damage increase, but basically infinite health certainly helped.

e: had the game crash a few times when opening chests now. Hopefully that gets ironed out.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 22, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So far the only Antibirth enemy I have an issue with are the burning flies that circle you, and shoot too. Completely kills some alt shooting builds.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Attestant posted:

So far the only Antibirth enemy I have an issue with are the burning flies that circle you, and shoot too. Completely kills some alt shooting builds.

Yeah I wonder what the idea was behind those. If you got too little damage, you're basically bound to get hit at least once (since they shoot you at almost point blank, you need to take them out before they shoot) and if you got Ipecac then ????? gently caress you I guess? :(

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
right now ultra greed is loving itself on my leech and sacrificial knife while im on my tanooki form

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I really wanted to like Bethany but I think they made her stats too low, so you really have to rely on her item. Her gimmick is cool and has a lot of potential (soul hearts as item charge), but I tried using it with several other items and nothing really synergizes as well as her starting item, making her a bit of a one-trick pony.

I'm not a fan of the item either, since it acts both as your DPS and your shield. Enemies that charge you or rooms with tons of little enemies/bullets can rip through all your fires in a matter of seconds, even if you were maxed out and then... welp :shrug: It makes the screen really busy and it doesn't feel rewarding to use at all to me.

She has a lot of synergy. Anything that drops extra spirit hearts like Dark Bum or The Relic, and her spirit shield benefits from BFF. My runs with her have either been terrible or completely overpowered, nothing in between. I did have a run with her where I had a ton of flames circling me and had to fight a boss that moved fast and was invincible unless I hit it with a bomb. Since it was invincible, it ate up all my flames and left me with her base damage, which wasn't that impressive. I still won, but I went from overpowered to mediocre in one room.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

She has a lot of synergy. Anything that drops extra spirit hearts like Dark Bum or The Relic, and her spirit shield benefits from BFF. My runs with her have either been terrible or completely overpowered, nothing in between. I did have a run with her where I had a ton of flames circling me and had to fight a boss that moved fast and was invincible unless I hit it with a bomb. Since it was invincible, it ate up all my flames and left me with her base damage, which wasn't that impressive. I still won, but I went from overpowered to mediocre in one room.

Oh yeah, maybe I worded myself badly. I meant that I feel like she relies too heavily on one item (her starting item) and one playstyle, making her fun to play the first couple of times but quickly becoming boring since BoI is all about crazy synergies and each run being different.

If you want to do something other than the whole "flames everywhere" thing then she just sucks. :v:

Also, spoilering this just in case but:
god. drat. homing. vis.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'm down in Sheol with Bethany and I it crashes at every other room once I've killed everything and the doors should open. I can't even bomb them open before that as it doesn't work on that floor. I hope there's some patching to be done and it isn't just my system.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is the witness fight always so zoomed out or is it combining with having maxscale 3 in my options? because it was nigh impossible to see where I'm meant to be dodging through this bullet hell. I was screwed that fight anyway since right before it I picked up almond milk (another soy milk, hooray :effort: ) but i pretty much took damage after damage with no way to clearly see what's happening

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Bethany synergizes surprisingly well with Isaac's Heart, which I picked up due to curse of the blind. The flames do a good job of helping shield you from random bullshit damage.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Ayn Randi posted:

Is the witness fight always so zoomed out or is it combining with having maxscale 3 in my options? because it was nigh impossible to see where I'm meant to be dodging through this bullet hell. I was screwed that fight anyway since right before it I picked up almond milk (another soy milk, hooray :effort: ) but i pretty much took damage after damage with no way to clearly see what's happening

Yep, it's zoomed waaaay out. I really like the change of perspective but that opinion may change if I ever feel like killing it with every character.
Tried Jacob last night and I'm not sure if it's fun or not. One character got flight and that really broke up the pairing which made things a lot tougher.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If I wanted to uninstall Antibirth how would I go about doing that?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

AnonSpore posted:

If I wanted to uninstall Antibirth how would I go about doing that?

Edit: remove the files in the boi resources folder

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Antibirth just refuses to work for me, I usually manage to avoid problems with getting mods to work but I'm giving up on this for now. Whenever I launch the .exe I get a 'this program has stopped working' error and it closes. Tried installing it in my usual steam games folder (on 2nd HD), complete reinstall into the default steam directory in c/program files, running as administrator etc. But it always just stops working as soon as I launch it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Antibirth looks so sweet, I just watched the Northernlion runs. I just don't want to play the game without Afterbirth (and soon, Afterbirth+). Really hoping they can redo it with the A+ modding tools - maybe then, Edmund and Nicalis can turn Antibirth into an official update.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Small rock giving you speed down is loving awful in Antibirth. Speed is such a crutch that anything that lowers it is always going to be an enormous negative.

All the damage in the world can't help you when you're getting boxed in every other room.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Small rock always gave a speed down, but for some reason it normally doesn't actually change your speed stat until you have something else change your speed, like an empress card or any of the many speed up items. Antibirth just makes it so the virus/small rock/lord of the pit speed changes happen immediately.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Antibirth is amazing, but I completely forgot about the issuse my logitech keyboard had with BOI. It won't accept enough inputs to let me move diagonally while shooting, so I end up only moving in a cardinal direction

kemikalkadet posted:

Antibirth just refuses to work for me, I usually manage to avoid problems with getting mods to work but I'm giving up on this for now. Whenever I launch the .exe I get a 'this program has stopped working' error and it closes. Tried installing it in my usual steam games folder (on 2nd HD), complete reinstall into the default steam directory in c/program files, running as administrator etc. But it always just stops working as soon as I launch it.

I had a problem starting it as well. Someone suggested copying the resources folder, from the rebirth directory, into the antibirth directory, and then it worked for me.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 26, 2016

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Antibirth is amazing, but I completely forgot about the issuse my logitech keyboard had with BOI. It won't accept enough inputs to let me move diagonally while shooting, so I end up only moving in a cardinal direction

You might be able to fix that by changing the regions of your keyboard that the clusters of keys are in. But really you should just get a decent mechanical so it won't be a problem.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Game crashed on basement 1 on the challenge with Jacob and Esau, and when I hit continue to try to start over it spawns me with just Jacob, but crashes every time I leave the first room. Oh well.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I had a problem starting it as well. Someone suggested copying the resources folder, from the rebirth directory, into the antibirth directory, and then it worked for me.

This worked! Thanks a lot, never would have thought to try that.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Holy Hell Great Gideon. The new enemies on that floor are crazy.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Pretty much all of the Antibirth content is excellent barring crashing bugs, a couple of stupid items (looking at you Damocles) and their propensity to make pseudo-gently caress closet rooms with almost guaranteed damage.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Brosnan posted:

You might be able to fix that by changing the regions of your keyboard that the clusters of keys are in. But really you should just get a decent mechanical so it won't be a problem.

Your autocorrect went haywire and messed up "get a decent controller".

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nighthand posted:

Pretty much all of the Antibirth content is excellent barring crashing bugs, a couple of stupid items (looking at you Damocles) and their propensity to make pseudo-gently caress closet rooms with almost guaranteed damage.

Yeah, it's a shame about the damage/flight check rooms (some rooms are guaranteed damage unless you've gotten enough damage ups or flight) because the more I play of it the more impressed I am. Most of the bosses, items and enemies are more interesting and well programmed than Edmund and Nicalis have managed, and all around the quality is 100% on par with the base game. They've put a ton of detail into the different effects, synergies, etc. and I have no idea how they even managed to mod in some of the new mechanics. It's incredibly impressive.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Holy Hell Great Gideon. The new enemies on that floor are crazy.

I was hoping to breeze through the new floors with Azazel but this cocksucker managed to score some decent damage on me.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Good thing I had flight from three different sources throughout the run, huh

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

The hardest enemy so far is muscle memory: I've hosed up nearly every run so far by jumping down the hole rather than opening the special door in the boss rooms out of habit. That, and having some tear effect that makes me gently caress up the fire pattern puzzle but putting out the wrong fires.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Gromit posted:

Your autocorrect went haywire and messed up "get a decent controller".

Absolutely. I can't understand the masochism that would lead anyone to play without proper analogue movement.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

And I can't understand the masochism that would lead anyone to play this without a keyboard.

(different people like different things)

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

kemikalkadet posted:

The hardest enemy so far is muscle memory: I've hosed up nearly every run so far by jumping down the hole rather than opening the special door in the boss rooms out of habit. That, and having some tear effect that makes me gently caress up the fire pattern puzzle but putting out the wrong fires.

I wound up resorting to using bombs to put out the right fires because they were more precise than my tears.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Max Peck posted:

I wound up resorting to using bombs to put out the right fires because they were more precise than my tears.

I used Ghost Baby to put them out because I had Brimstone and there was no way to aim that.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
For supposedly being released in a week, there's surprisingly little fuss about Afterbirth+ on Steam.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

That's such a surprise, because Nicalis seems like it really has its poo poo together

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really don't think I like Tyrone very much, but I do love this game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

*playing the best game in like 5 years for the 100th hour, for which i paid probably like $8* aaauuughghh wheres my fuckin CHANGELOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG eat this loving TWEEET BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Will I ever get to the point where I remember what all these items and cards do while I'm playing?
I have about 20 hours into the game right now, and I'm starting to remember some of the item effects, but there's hundreds of them!
I either need to check the wiki every time, or I end up wasting things because I'm confusing them with other cards/items.
How does this play out for those of you with more playing time?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Super No Vacancy posted:

*playing the best game in like 5 years for the 100th hour, for which i paid probably like $8* aaauuughghh wheres my fuckin CHANGELOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG eat this loving TWEEET BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not an entitlement thing. It's dumb when anything updates without telling you what changed because it's nice to know.

The problem with this game is they want to cultivate that old playground mystique where no one quite knows what's true and what isn't, and for the most part that's a major reason I like it so much. Maybe there actually is a new room with a weird layout! Maybe sometimes when you teleport you get taken to a weird glitchy room, maybe if you bomb a ton of tinted rocks you'll unlock a new item!

So when new poo poo gets discovered we have no way of knowing if it's intentional, and they're slow as poo poo to fix some bugs like the mom exploit or chest looping so random poo poo keeps changing and there's no way to know what's going on. So yeah, it's kinda annoying for a game as dependant on prior knowledge as this to change poo poo and not say anything.

And then on the other hand you have something like Gungeon where they're super open about changes but I hate that there's no mystery in that game so I dunno people don't know what they want. In other news the sky is blue, and the sun will rise tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Will I ever get to the point where I remember what all these items and cards do while I'm playing?
I have about 20 hours into the game right now, and I'm starting to remember some of the item effects, but there's hundreds of them!
I either need to check the wiki every time, or I end up wasting things because I'm confusing them with other cards/items.
How does this play out for those of you with more playing time?

I've probably played about ~120 hours between the original + Rebirth/Afterbirth, and I still look up probably over half of the items I see. Granted those hours have been spread out over a few years, so I forget a lot of them after not having played for awhile.