Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I love when this stuff happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Who's higher on their own farts, Skip Bayless, Colin Cowherd, or Jay Gruden?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I gotta say the odds that's Skip himself as opposed to some FS1 staffer who hosed up accounts seems kinda low

yes, i'm a killjoy

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

I gotta say the odds that's Skip himself as opposed to some FS1 staffer who hosed up accounts seems kinda low

yes, i'm a killjoy

While you're probably right, I wouldn't put it past Skip doing it anyway.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

While you're probably right, I wouldn't put it past Skip doing it anyway.

Oh yeah, the odds of it also being a stunt to get people talking about the #brand are pretty well up there too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I suppose if you're going to test someone out in a new role, say, going from studio analyst to color commentator, doing it for a weekday afternoon bowl game probably isn't the worst thing, but hoooo boy apparently Desmond Howard was a disaster in the booth for the Boca Raton bowl

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

I suppose if you're going to test someone out in a new role, say, going from studio analyst to color commentator, doing it for a weekday afternoon bowl game probably isn't the worst thing, but hoooo boy apparently Desmond Howard was a disaster in the booth for the Boca Raton bowl

Shame, I like Desmond, but I guess if you're going to test him I guess that's where you want to do it, a bowl where only the most die hards watch.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

Yeah he was pretty bad from the parts of the game I saw (I missed the targeting). But the most interesting thing about that article is that ESPN put Teddy Atlas in the booth for a college football game back on election night? I wish I'd watched that train wreck.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah he was pretty bad from the parts of the game I saw (I missed the targeting). But the most interesting thing about that article is that ESPN put Teddy Atlas in the booth for a college football game back on election night? I wish I'd watched that train wreck.

Yeah Teddy shows up every once in a while in a non-boxing role and it's great. I get the feeling he asks to do some random events every so often and they just give it to him because who's going to tell Teddy loving Atlas what he can and can't do?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Don't a lot of the NASCAR guys end up doing bowl stuff due to the number of broadcasts coinciding with the three weeks NASCAR is off? I swear that's gotta be the case but I'm not watching NASCAR to find out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

C. Everett Koop posted:

Don't a lot of the NASCAR guys end up doing bowl stuff due to the number of broadcasts coinciding with the three weeks NASCAR is off? I swear that's gotta be the case but I'm not watching NASCAR to find out.

Alan Beswick isn't that bad, but he's Indy Car.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

C. Everett Koop posted:

The only one I can remember is Jerry Punch doing sideline stuff.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
*kicker runs to take kickoff*

BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY LETS PLAY FOOTBALL BOYS!!!!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

The only one I can remember is Jerry Punch doing sideline stuff.

Jack Arute too.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

algebra testes posted:

Straight-up surprised this isn't already a thing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

algebra testes posted:

I would... be ok with this.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/811940819762548736

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

D E H U M A N I Z E Y O U R S E L F A N D F A C E T O E M B R A C I N G D E B A T E

I don't know who Nick Wright is but a glance of his twitter feed seems to show him being fairly reasonable, but goddamn just end these loving debate shows

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 22, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

How many debate shows do they need?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Someone should tell them that creating 400 shouting head debate shows costs a lot of loving money.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How many does ESPN have again? I know there's PTI and ATH, but both of those are well established and aren't big ego personalities.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

If Mike Wilbon doesn't qualify as a big ego personality then no one does.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ego symphonic posted:

If Mike Wilbon doesn't qualify as a big ego personality then no one does.

Ok fine, at least one of them is big ego. But him and Kornheiser have been working together for years before PTI instead of the bigwigs grabbing two people who are names in the sports world (Skip and Shannon, for example) and throwing them at each other.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Plus PTI is the progenitor of all the recent sports debate shows

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Plus PTI is the progenitor of all the recent sports debate shows
PTI is the only good sports debate show and 90% of that is because of Tony Kornheiser, The Greatest Gift God Ever Gave To ManTM

Wilbon can be a little much but he's much better than pretty much any of their guests hosts. Except for maybe Le Batard.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't watch PTI anymore but Wilbon and Kornheiser at least had several decades of chemistry built up. FS1s are all a bunch of random NFL pre-game show castoffs. Chris Carter was very good at catching footballs but I don't even want to hear him talk about football much less, like, baseball or college basketball

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

I don't watch PTI anymore but Wilbon and Kornheiser at least had several decades of chemistry built up.

Yeah this is the big thing. At least the two of them have a rapport and clearly can work well off of one-another.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
That Cris Carter show is happening for sure barring last second disaster. Also they're way way way cheaper to make than almost any other type of show. It requires stage people and a much smaller support staff than most things.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

soggybagel posted:

That Cris Carter show is happening for sure barring last second disaster. Also they're way way way cheaper to make than almost any other type of show. It requires stage people and a much smaller support staff than most things.

Yeah outside of cost of the talent itself I can't imagine it takes much to produce them. Give them a desk and a couple video boards and you're all set.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

I don't watch PTI anymore but Wilbon and Kornheiser at least had several decades of chemistry built up. FS1s are all a bunch of random NFL pre-game show castoffs. Chris Carter was very good at catching footballs but I don't even want to hear him talk about football much less, like, baseball or college basketball

PTI was taking Wilbon and Kornheiser's newsroom debates and putting them in front of a camera and telling them to cut the swearing. It worked because of the chemistry and because they were first. It's also the downfall of modern civilization.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Kornheiser verbally slapping down LeBetard at every point when he was covering for Wilbon was never not funny

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The sports reporters was on ESPN since like the 80s.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

The sports reporters was on ESPN since like the 80s.

Yeah but TSR is basically a smarm-off to see who can manage to be more pretentious than Mitch loving Albom. Almost every other debate show at least seems to have the slightest bit of self-awareness.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

How many debate shows do they need?
All of them, apparently.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

I don't know who Nick Wright is but a glance of his twitter feed seems to show him being fairly reasonable, but goddamn just end these loving debate shows

From his time in KC I don't remember most of his takes being super awful on their own, like he's not Colin Cowherd or Whitlock. He was kinda Jim Rome esque though in mannerisms which can drive you crazy. Or at least he reminded of of Rome on the radio.

Also has a penchant for arguing poo poo into the ground, which I suppose works out for another terrible debate show.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Kornheiser verbally slapping down LeBetard at every point when he was covering for Wilbon was never not funny

BAM!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN is experimenting with running NFL ads on a sort of split-screen while keeping in-stadium footage going. Last night they ran a Surface ad while showing the Cowboys' sideline, because #brand #synergy... and apparently never noticed that Sean Lee was getting coached up on plays through the old binder/photo method while the ad was talking about how great the Surface was for in-game coaching. :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

ESPN is experimenting with running NFL ads on a sort of split-screen while keeping in-stadium footage going. Last night they ran a Surface ad while showing the Cowboys' sideline, because #brand #synergy... and apparently never noticed that Sean Lee was getting coached up on plays through the old binder/photo method while the ad was talking about how great the Surface was for in-game coaching. :v:

Honestly, I prefer that over traditional ads, at least for things like racing.

Also, Hot First Take is moving to ESPN proper :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Honestly, I prefer that over traditional ads, at least for things like racing.

Also, Hot First Take is moving to ESPN proper :smith:

Yeah for racing it makes sense, and I think they (or maybe NBCSN) has fiddled with it for soccer, but it's not as if football doesn't have plenty of stoppages built into it.

I'd be curious to see football broadcasts fiddle with the idea that you see in the NHL and... I think college basketball (the pros too? I'm not sure) where there are designated media timeouts at the first whistle past certain points on the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Yeah for racing it makes sense, and I think they (or maybe NBCSN) has fiddled with it for soccer, but it's not as if football doesn't have plenty of stoppages built into it.

I'd be curious to see football broadcasts fiddle with the idea that you see in the NHL and... I think college basketball (the pros too? I'm not sure) where there are designated media timeouts at the first whistle past certain points on the clock.

CBB has it every four minutes. The NBA seems like it's almost random. They might just have it for national games.