Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Project sketch:

I like digital synthesizers and want to make my ownish design. This arduino-compatible has some interesting features and has the capabilities needed for some pretty cool processing:

However, I also want to be able to turn knobs and push buttons and stuff to adjust the sound. Making a functional keyboard from tactile switches is absolutely possible but I've thought of a dumber solution: buy one of these cheap chinese toy keyboards and mod the keys into input:

$1.50:

$5:

$10:

Now that's so cheap it almost feels stupid. I've bought one of each of these little plastic miracles, will let you know how it works out

Which keyboard did you get? I hope it was the pink one. :peanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
My guess is that they haven't actually merged the engine yet, Chris just said it was already done because why not, how long could it take? Then over the coming years "merging takes time" will be the prime excuse for why nothing is happening.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Erenthal posted:

Ok, so yeah, they might be doing better on the engine front. They might even get functioning net code. So what?

This does nothing to balance out all the other fuckery they have to deal with. One look at the checks that Crobberts wrote with his mouth and stretch goals will tell you how hosed they still are. No design documents. No gameplay foundation. Not even attempts at balancing the ships. Non-existant flight model. 140 million dollars of pre-sold commodities that will utterly wreck any attempt to create a functioning economy. A (relatively) tiny player base that can never sustain

Can't hear you there man, I'm too busy playing loving Star Marine

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Facebook Aunt posted:

Read. It. Again.

Slowly.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
I'm still like 1k posts behind, trying to catch up. However, I thought I'd post Cohh's thoughts on his latest attempt to play Star Citizen. I'm really sad he decided not to stream it.

https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage/v/110151532?t=03h17m14s

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Skellybones posted:

My guess is that they haven't actually merged the engine yet, Chris just said it was already done because why not, how long could it take? Then over the coming years "merging takes time" will be the prime excuse for why nothing is happening.

I don't understand why people seem to think this matters. If CIG merges some part of it into StarEngine, that essentially means reverting their hacks to vanilla CryEngine. Since everything they've done is hosed the engine up, any such effort might result in increased performance or stability. It doesn't mean they're any closer to realizing the ~dreams~ or whatever

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ewe2 posted:

1. They never customized the code. Thus it was easy to simply rebase on a newer branch of an updated codebase by literally changing the hooks to the assets. Possible but unlikely given 4 years of bugs. It's Hanlon's Razor, not a detailed sideshow to fool the public.

2. They customized the code 50% and it took months to rebase. Because VCS's are not magic wands and you make a choice about what to rebase to minimize the conflicts, it was an iterative process. The more you change the bigger the job. The bug-fixes were therefore iterations of successive deltas. And they kept this a secret to everyone with a small team. People like Ben Parry had no idea (if we are to believe him). The trouble with this scenario is that it would be impossible to track upstream changes to LY without significant pain. Your code looks almost like upstream but does something very different. Plus keeping it secret fails the same Hanlon's Razor test. They've been terrible at keeping secrets.

3. They only customized a portion of the code and found it easier to throw away and rebase than to merge. This kind of change only works if you have a specific area (like for example networking) that can be rebased without touching the rest of the codebase. I suspect this is what actually happened because it would be the easiest and quickest to do and therefore easiest to keep secret. It explains the kind of bugs they had with other parts of the software aside from those parts own bugs. They can then proceed to rebase other parts carefully over time if required but will still be a painful process. Still could have been done over months in secret, but Hanlon's Razor again, not for that long.

I've been toying with these thoughts too. :)

1: This seems like a possible candidate, but can't be true. So it's probably not. They supposedly added in 64-bit positioning which is a pretty big task, and would affect every aspect of the core engine and how it displays and handles stuff. They also could have not, and just shrunk everything. But they ultimately had to have done something.

2: Maybe they lied about their 50% altered, but possibly not. In the Road to Gamescom they showed programmers flipping out, Chris directing code fixes and asking why system things aren't working and still working. This would have been well into their conversion process. There's no reason programmers would be struggling that hard to work something into a defunct engine that has a lifetime of weeks, not years and barely months.

3: This would assume everything isn't connected, and would be hugely bad. Like an overlay converting everything from 64/32-bit somehow. Overlays for their awful ship localized gravity stuff. This would be the most "hacky" thing to do, and since CIG lost most talent, this may actually be what they did. Since it sucks so much, re-applying their hacks probably aren't too hard to do if the version is the same.

Ultimately though it seems like whatever they're claiming is, as usual, a half truth or a lie. Definitely not "open development" by any stretch of the imagination. But backers at this point are fine with being treated like a bitch so there will be no fallout.

Also, just by switching to AWS doesn't exactly mean anything. It doesn't give them MMO code or allow an MMO. It's just a computer running remotely. Amazon may assist them, but I imagine only in limited amounts unless Amazon is aiming to take over the project.

There's a possibility that they got an AWS discount for being the patsy to try to pimp their Lukberyard engine. Though they specifically state it's not made for MMO games. So anything janky now is probably going to continue to be janky because you've still got terrible people in bad position.

I think this is a classic Chris Roberts move. It's basically a non-artist looking at everything people do with Photoshop, and they think when they too buy Photoshop, they will be an artist. The pitfall with Chris is that he announces to the world "I'm an artist now because I have Photoshop!" while he still draws stick figures. I work a lot with AWS, and unless you know what you're doing and how to take advantage of them, it doesn't matter if it's AWS or some server in your bedroom. It's down to the guys who know how to build out the platform. Basically all the network guys working at CIG will continue to do what they've always done, just on a new server.

But it does "buy time" for CIG to milk the cow udders more I guess. And now development really started just before Christmas of 2016. :)

Star Citizen: When will development begin tomorrow?

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Tribute to the exciting new lumber yard news

I'm a lumberhack and I'm OK
I snort all night and I lie all day
(He's a lumberhack and he's OK
He snorts all night and he lies all day)
I  bullshit whales, I wave my hands
I never play my game
On Fridays I'm on you tube
And it's always just the same
(He bullshits whales..)
(He's a lumberhack...)
I wear a wig , I've had Botox
I've hired a private chef
I cry myself to sleep each night
Cos Derek smart was right
(He bullshits whales...)
(He's a lumberhack...)
I promise dreams , I beg and plead
And none of you ask me why
There's someone at my space door
It's the loving fbi ......

(He bullshits whales..)
(He's a lumberhack..)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Read. It. Again.

Slowly.

The yellow one and pink one are the same model, so I assumed you only bought one or the other. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

DigitalMocking posted:

Have the citizens discovered yet that lumberyard isn't for mmos or any game with persistence?

Yeah all that but this is Persistence 2.0.

Checkmate etc.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

AbstractNapper posted:

What the hell was mega map?

edit: And was it in their lovely open roadmap/ Gantt charts?

MegaMap is the idea that they can put hangar walking, PTU, and Star Marine into one game-mode; as opposed to however you launch each of those right now.

The reason you have never heard of this new term is nobody in their right mind ever tried to make a fps-rpg-4x-procedural-singleplayer-mmo at the same time before.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chunjee posted:

MegaMap is the idea that they can put hangar walking, PTU, and Star Marine into one game-mode; as opposed to however you launch each of those right now.

The reason you have never heard of this new term is nobody in their right mind ever tried to make a fps-rpg-4x-procedural-singleplayer-mmo at the same time before.

The idea is to throw the pieces for all of it into a single giant map file to eliminate loading.

Which given SC's brilliant code probably would cause most shitizens' computers to spontaneously combust.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

they should probably just cancel the game, or start over from scratch. I mean that would be the move if they were serious about developing something good, not just lining their pockets.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEJJGreKwUQ&t=137s

quote:

$800 for an FPS game is a little bit too extreme for my standards. I am borderline homeless, so $800, when I look back on my spending, is sort of depressing.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Mokinokaro posted:

The idea is to throw the pieces for all of it into a single giant map file to eliminate loading.

Which given SC's brilliant code probably would cause most shitizens' computers to spontaneously combust.

We knew the risks when we backed Star Citizen.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Chunjee posted:

Chris literally thinks he can build The Matrix with a combination of green developers and his own rampant autism. Even The Machines had the sense to only simulate one planet, with completely imaginary super-futuristic mega-machines, and even then Neo learned how to T-Pose and turn on NoClip. But Chris is going to use some HP blade servers to make 100+ solar systems and entire planets with full fidelity because of course he is.

In his mind, the reason this hasn't been done before isn't because it's mind-bogglingly stupid to even suggest, but because nobody else had the vision to think of it.

Any idiot can think "wouldn't it be cool if we had a game where you could do literally anything." It takes real vision to figure out how to emulate a targeted and enjoyable slice of "everything", pin down the essential elements of the experience, and find a way, within technological limitations, to make that experience the best it can be. That's what a game developer actually does, and it's literally the opposite of what Chris is capable of.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Tbh, I hope he gets his refund and learns something from it all.

Good to see a commando waking up from the intellectual coma that exposure to SC induces. :)

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Project sketch:

I like digital synthesizers and want to make my ownish design. This arduino-compatible has some interesting features and has the capabilities needed for some pretty cool processing:

However, I also want to be able to turn knobs and push buttons and stuff to adjust the sound. Making a functional keyboard from tactile switches is absolutely possible but I've thought of a dumber solution: buy one of these cheap chinese toy keyboards and mod the keys into input:

$1.50:

$5:

$10:

Now that's so cheap it almost feels stupid. I've bought one of each of these little plastic miracles, will let you know how it works out

ewe2 posted:

:mad: feel mai raeg omg downvoted

Please do, that looks fun. I've dabbled in home-made electronic instruments, but you really need the hardware to take the work out of timers etc, arduino is really limited that way.

"Arduino" is merely and primarily a software tool set that obscures the massive pain in the rear end that C embedded work flows are, performance has to do with the hardware of the Arduino compatible target. In this case the Teensy 3.x is an excellent choice, it is a Motorola 32bit ARM processor from the Kinetis K series and it is a good chip, it has an internal PLL that the maintainer has set up to run at 96mhz and there's even an i2c audio shield that can do DSP very very quickly

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris literally thinks he can build The Matrix with a combination of green developers and his own rampant autism. Even The Machines had the sense to only simulate one planet, with completely imaginary super-futuristic mega-machines, and even then Neo learned how to T-Pose and turn on NoClip. But Chris is going to use some HP blade servers to make 100+ solar systems and entire planets with full fidelity because of course he is.

In his mind, the reason this hasn't been done before isn't because it's mind-bogglingly stupid to even suggest, but because nobody else had the vision to think of it.

Any idiot can think "wouldn't it be cool if we had a game where you could do literally anything." It takes real vision to figure out how to emulate a targeted and enjoyable slice of "everything", pin down the essential elements of the experience, and find a way, within technological limitations, to make that experience the best it can be. That's what a game developer actually does, and it's literally the opposite of what Chris is capable of.

This is a good post, preserving for posterity

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Like, who looks at Wing Commander- and then the stretch of gently caress all he was involved in between then and now- and thinks, "oh yeah, THIS is the guy who can do the literally impossible!" Dude is completely out of touch with the capabilities of modern tech and is only interested in making another bad movie. He has to crowdfund because nobody with both money and credibility will touch him.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MeLKoR posted:

WTF is going on, did everyone eat ergot contaminated gingerbread?

Why is everyone so stressed less than a week after such a Chrismas miracle?

Carrie Fisher has died and 2016 isn't over yet. Everyone's terrified 2016 will strike again before it's over.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
Star Citizen makes Wired's 2016 Vaporware awards

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/vaporware-games/

quote:

It’s reasonable to imagine that Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts’ grand vision of an all-encompassing multiplayer virtual universe may never be truly completed. With over $130 million in crowdfunding cash, and more rolling in by the day, Roberts and his team have more resources than virtually any other game creator to fulfill their grand vision of interstellar travel, spaceship combat, first-person shooting, and probably five more game genres. The developer has been continually releasing alpha versions allowing fans (some of whom have paid thousands of dollars to “own” virtual ships) to knock around with what it’s done so far, but when will the full game actually be released? Heck if we know.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
See you space princess

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Midnight Voyager posted:

Carrie Fisher has died and 2016 isn't over yet. Everyone's terrified 2016 will strike again before it's over.

What a way to find out :(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry guys, it's going to be 2017 soon: http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/12/naples-sleeping-volcano-might-be-waking-up/

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

Sandi is probably popping some corks, as that is one less contender for her title as "Unchallenged Queen of Space".

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Look! A Horse! posted:

this is like the 3rd time some random goon has popped in to talk about your sex life. where you involved in some goon orgy or something??

No. :ohdear:

It's a cheesy Titanic (the ship) gimmick I play with now and then. I don't dictate to people how they want to run with it, I just set up the jokes for them.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

XK posted:

James Cameron drove his submersible right into her, recorded the whole thing, and publicly released a movie about it.

This also is true. :ohdear:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Facebook Aunt posted:

Here's a choice excerpt:

"Now that's so cheap it almost feels stupid. I've bought one of each of these little plastic miracles, will let you know how it works out"

Hope this helps your question, friend. :)

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Star Citizen makes Wired's 2016 Vaporware awards

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/vaporware-games/

pfft that liberal rag

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

No. :ohdear:

It's a cheesy Titanic (the ship) gimmick I play with now and then. I don't dictate to people how they want to run with it, I just set up the jokes for them.

Man, stop harassing her. I know she goes down easily enough, but let's not shame.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

circle with a dot in the center

goatse confirmed

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Midnight Voyager posted:

This is so sad. :(

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Project sketch:

$1.50:

$5:

$10:

Look up Believotron.
Also, this is cute: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/967276512/gecho-loopsynth-a-modern-equivalent-of-the-music-b

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

2016 is going out with a bang, not just with individuals but with whole teams and choirs.

But it has failed to claim Star Citizen so far.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
gently caress this year.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

gently caress this year.

Yeah. :(

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Facebook Aunt posted:

The yellow one and pink one are the same model, so I assumed you only bought one or the other. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Well the keyboards are made out of two pieces of plastic, like this:

I ordered two of those tiny pieces of junk, so with any luck I'll get one of each color

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Well the keyboards are made out of two pieces of plastic, like this:

I ordered two of those tiny pieces of junk, so with any luck I'll get one of each color

And yes, that means all of those 16 keys' width add up to about two AA batteries' length :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I can heartily recommend this nerd's designs, he makes cheap arduino synthesizers and makes all the design information available with CC licences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzjuNXLpJq8

I've ordered all the components individually from China (because I'm a giant nerd) but he's got pretty reasonably priced kits on his page as well