Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Merry Christmas, cast iron goons! Can anyone identify what maker and vintage my mom's pan is?

Without seeing the rest of the bottom of the pan and the handle --
I believe that is a Lodge pan. If that is the only notch in the heat ring then it is from the 1930's. If there are three notches in the heat ring it is going to be from 1940's.
-- Is my best estimate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, it has three notches.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I cooked pita breads for hummus and then roasted asparagus, carrots, and mushrooms in my cast iron skillet as my contribution to Christmas Eve dinner last night.

:justcook:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Santa was good to me 🙂

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So for christmas I've decided to cook some steaks for the first time in a long while. I will be sous viding the steaks for two hours and finishing them with a sear in the cast iron. My idea is to put oil in the CI then wait for it to smoke, toss the steaks in for a minute or so, flip, add a dollop of butter on top while the other side finishes cooking.

My question is, what oil is best for searing steak?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just use canola because it has a high smoke point (which I nonetheless always exceed).

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Make ghee from butter.

You can also buy some premade but it's expensive.

It already has the butter solids that will burn removed so it has a very high smoke point and adds a slightly nutty flavor. Smoke point is higher than canola and most every common oil.

You can also sear sous vide steaks without oil.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 25, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

my turn in the barrel posted:

Make ghee from butter.

You can also buy some premade but it's expensive.

It already has the butter solids that will burn removed so it has a very high smoke point and adds a slightly nutty flavor. Smoke point is higher than canola and most every common oil.

You can also sear sous vide steaks without oil.

I've seen a few different ways to prepare ghee but never done it, how do you make it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Knifegrab posted:

I've seen a few different ways to prepare ghee but never done it, how do you make it?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/clarified-butter-recipe.html

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Ghee is like clarified butter but cooked even more to get all the milk solids and moisture out.

In the process the solids brown and add the nutty flavor. And since you are essentially left with just oil it has a higher smoke point as everything that can burn has been removed.

http://altonbrown.com/clarified-butter-and-ghee-recipes/

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 26, 2016

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I too, was a very good boy this year:

Not sure what make or era specifically it is, but I now have a 12" pan, and an awfully nice one by the look and feel of it, so I'm quite happy.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I was hoping for one of these bad boys but i guy guess I'll have to wait until my birthday

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CAST...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I was hoping for one of these bad boys but i guy guess I'll have to wait until my birthday

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CAST...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Walmart carries them for $86 site to store. They also seasonally stock them in store during the BBQ season and clear them out for $50-$60 at the end of summer.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I too, was a very good boy this year:

Not sure what make or era specifically it is, but I now have a 12" pan, and an awfully nice one by the look and feel of it, so I'm quite happy.

Birmingham Stove & Range Co. from 1930's to early 1950's, Red Mountain series. The Red Mountain series was introduced in 1930, this name was because Birmingham, Alabama has an area known as Red Mountain – it's so rich in iron ore, the rock faces have a reddish hue from the hematite iron ore in the rock. You can go visit the mountain that your pan was made from.

They are thicker and heavier than Griswold or Wagner of the same era and tend to be able to handle higher heat without warping. Very nice pans.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

When I sear a steak I've already cooked sous vide in my skillet, I find that the best tasting steaks are the ones that come out after I've set off every smoke alarm in the house. On the other hand, if an alarm doesn't go off, the steak is still usually fine but the sear isn't that great. I've tried a few different oils; is this basically just a Thing That Happens with a good sear, or is there something in technique I can do to ameliorate it? Or am I using too much / too little vegetable oil?

I timed out my last one (flatiron, set off the alarm, really delicious) and got about two and a quarter minutes.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 27, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Try preheating your skillet in the oven if you haven't already. Also, a knob of butter gives a great sweet, nutty flavor to the crust.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Try preheating your skillet in the oven if you haven't already. Also, a knob of butter gives a great sweet, nutty flavor to the crust.

Do you put the oil in before preheating? If not, doesn't the room temp oil entering the screaming hot pan cause Problems?

Meant to add the knob of butter, forgot 'cos I was doing too much elsewise in the kitchen. Curses.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Scored some cast iron skillets at an estate sale for basically free (3 for $6). There's this buildup all over the bottom that comes off if i scrape at it with something metal. Is this just old grease that's built up over the years or something else? Seems strange that it'd be all over the bottom.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Probably just grime, who ever looks at the bottom?

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I want to give this as a gift, so I'd like to get it looking as nice as possible. Lye and a bunch of scraping should get it off just fine but I was just curious what it was.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Finally got to use my 15 inch lodge. One bag of chips, 6 cups of cheese, ground beef, onions, beans, and jalapeños makes for a shitload of nachos.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Friend posted:

Finally got to use my 15 inch lodge. One bag of chips, 6 cups of cheese, ground beef, onions, beans, and jalapeños makes for a shitload of nachos.

A 15" lodge is massive.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Finally back home after 20 days away and it's time to make some shakshuka tomorrow.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Crazyeyes posted:

A 15" lodge is massive.

I have a 15" and an 8"(?) and it's pretty great to be able to easily do bacon without having to cut or fold or whatever

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

A 15" lodge is massive.

It's ridiculous, but I only had a 10" before and searing steaks after sous vide was a pain. I only wish my stove could actually heat this whole thing

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Scored some cast iron skillets at an estate sale for basically free (3 for $6). There's this buildup all over the bottom that comes off if i scrape at it with something metal. Is this just old grease that's built up over the years or something else? Seems strange that it'd be all over the bottom.

It's just old seasoning/carbon buildup. Possibly from cooking on a wood stove.

You can use it like that or you can strip it and reseason if you want it to look pretty. Or if you want to see who made it. You can sometimes end up with a very expensive pan once you get the crap off.

Fwiw thats how the griddle i posted earlier in the thread looked before i stripped it with an oven cleaning cycle.

In the old days you would toss your pans into the wood stove every few years and burn all that off and reseason.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 27, 2016

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Santa was good to me 🙂

those are a total bitch to clean, fyi

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

gently caress IT

SEND IT BACK

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

qutius posted:

those are a total bitch to clean, fyi

It's not impossible to clean but it does limit what you can cook in the pan.

First get a good seasoning going as that will help to keep things from sticking.

Then to clean it after cooking just get the pan hot and throw in a few cups of water to deglaze whatever sticks.

Add some more water and bring it to a boil.

Dump out the water and scrape whatever didn't come off as it should be loose from the boiling water.

Lodge makes scrapers specifically for the grill pans that will make this much easier.

Repeat the water boil if needed.

Rinse, heat up on burner enough to evaporate any extra water then wipe a light coat of oil on the pan for storage.

Link to the scrapers for the Grill pans.
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-SCRAPE...129XEG3JT0CHSBE

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Birmingham Stove & Range Co. from 1930's to early 1950's, Red Mountain series. The Red Mountain series was introduced in 1930, this name was because Birmingham, Alabama has an area known as Red Mountain – it's so rich in iron ore, the rock faces have a reddish hue from the hematite iron ore in the rock. You can go visit the mountain that your pan was made from.

They are thicker and heavier than Griswold or Wagner of the same era and tend to be able to handle higher heat without warping. Very nice pans.

The 2 Made in USA pans I posted are both BS&R. I got both for dirt cheap because they didn't say Lodge, Griswald or Wagner on the bottom but both are really nice pans if you stumble across them.

quote:

L to R
2 Lodge Fajita pans, Griswold round griddle, Antique oval griddle, lodge reversible griddle, O'Brien & O'Brien dutch oven, Hardware store (made in USA) 13 7/16" pan

Lodge 7qt dutch oven, 2 lodge 6.5" skillets, 1 lodge 8" skillet, 1 Chinese 8" skillet, griswold 9.75" skillet, Chrome Griswold #8 Skillet, Lodge #8 Skillet, Griswold #8 Skillet, Lodge #8 Chicken Fryer, Hardware store (made in USA) square skillet

http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Birmingham_Stove_and_Range
for more info and to see what marking to look for.

It's also worth noting that Lodge also used to mark their pans USA like the Dutch Oven I found for $5.

quote:

I saw this #8 cast iron dutch oven sitting on the floor with a bunch of vinyl records. It was in the white with a small amount of light surface rust so I assumed it was a Chinese junker that was sold unseasoned and was never used. It also has a weird defect to the lid handle where one base is thicker.

Lid only says 10 1/4 8

I flipped it over and could make out USA so i figured I'd take it for $5.

I got impatient and decided to use that Lodge Dutch Oven after only 2 coats of seasoning.

Most of the unmarked hardware store stuff was really high quality. As a cook/collector I usually just snag anything that's cheap and is marked USA and have not found a bad pan yet.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 27, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
The worst thing to clean is my cast iron muffin pan. poo poo is unbearable.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wait do you all run your irons under water to clean em while they're still warm or even hot? I've been waiting until it cools to room temp and scraping all the food crud off is always a slog.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Wait do you all run your irons under water to clean em while they're still warm or even hot? I've been waiting until it cools to room temp and scraping all the food crud off is always a slog.

Easiest thing to do is dump in water while it's still scorching hot and boil off/scrape away the gunk, then wash as normal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ciaphas posted:

I've been waiting until it cools to room temp and scraping all the food crud off is always a slog.

Yeah, that is what I used to do and it was bad.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Easiest thing to do is dump in water while it's still scorching hot and boil off/scrape away the gunk, then wash as normal.

This is what I do now and it is good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One caveat on dumping water into a screaming hot pan: Doing so tends to aerosolize the fat in the pan, which may then ignite if your burner is on. May only be a risk with gas burners, but it happened to me twice and the flash fire was enough to melt the blades inside my exhaust fan.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I wait for the pan to be cool enough handled with bare hands, but still hot. I guess I'd be afraid of cracking the pan from the temperature shock, but maybe that's not really an issue.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's no different than deglazing. I would avoid dunking the whole pan in water, but pouring in a cup or so isn't gonna hurt it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

my turn in the barrel posted:

Lodge makes scrapers specifically for the grill pans that will make this much easier.

I have these but it can still be a pain in the butt to clean them. But I only use the grill pans for 2 things: steaks small enough to fit in them and vegetables that I want grill marks on

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone got me one of those lodge scrapers with the teeth a few years back. It has different spacings on each side depending on what pan you have. I have two different Lodge grill pans, and none of the teeth fit either pan. The scraper is a bad joke on their part.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Whoever posted about using kosher salt as an abrasive while cleaning was spot on. Just using a sponge and some salt I haven't had really anything stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

One caveat on dumping water into a screaming hot pan: Doing so tends to aerosolize the fat in the pan, which may then ignite if your burner is on. May only be a risk with gas burners, but it happened to me twice and the flash fire was enough to melt the blades inside my exhaust fan.

I once set fire to my stove hood that way, the filter hadn't been cleaned in a while and was full of grease.