Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I voted Kir because he actually has something interesting to resolve (his 5 years to live or whatever) and I'm looking forward to the game resolving something totally different.

Also I feel bad for him because the main reason TDI seems to hate him is that he's a mage in a game where the tanks outmage the mages. And his voice actor has a hatred for human ears I guess - maybe gremlins like hearing screeches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I voted for Collette, hoping her side quest shows more character.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I personally like Julienne the most, but I voted for Dingus out of curiosity.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Variant_Eris posted:

So have we actually done anything outside of saving a couple of towns? Sure, Nidr's tree log and Setsuna's wingspan are masterpieces appraised at 1082.99 on I am Setsuna's Antique Roadshow, but I'm drawing a blank as to what we've actually accomplished.

Edit: Besides renaming the airship Trebuchet. Our greatest achievement to date is above petty accomplishments.

Walrus Dagger belongs on that list. Did Id upgrade it already, or is that coming up?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I voted Aeterna first, though Setsuna and Ndir would've been my alternate choices.

I would've preferred that we save Endir's for last since it's clearly going to be the best, but I guess we'll be leading off strong instead, and in all likelihood ending with a whimper.

Kind of appropriate given that's basically the MO for every single subplot this game has put forth.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

civilization on this continent if not world consists of less than 10 tiny villages, most of which have no contact with each other. i'm not really sure why mercenaries exist in this setting at all.
Unless the town of masked mercenary guys is on one of those outlying islands Id didn't visit, Endir isn't native to the accessible gameworld. Maybe he's from the Jungle Continent, where instead of everything being snow or ice, it's all jungle.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

SystemLogoff posted:

I voted for Collette, hoping her side quest shows more character.

not even even Colette deserves to be compared to Setsuna

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
At least Collette has that whole "tee hee, I just tripped and activated some unknown mechanism" schtick going for her. Setsuna is ginger Yuna who ignores that Tidus guy's input. Repeatedly. Which makes her different than Yuna, since Yuna was a wallflower. But I stand by my statement.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yuna did a bunch of wild reckless stuff on her own multiple times in her game, while Setsuna hasn't really done anything out of the ordinary.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there isn't enough to setsuna to like or dislike. she is empty and dull, the same as the setting, story and the rest of the cast.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I think this game goes a long way to showing that walking the homage/spiritual successor tightrope is really hard.

It's really likely the the I am Setsuna devs grew up playing Chrono Trigger and really wanted to capture that lightning in a bottle again. They obviously went in with big ambitions and seem to have meant well. And on the surface, this really does look like a nice spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger. Combo techs, positional battle system, and so on. If it were an indie game, and the CT references were pared back, it would probably get a nicer reception. Not a must-buy game, but a "yeah you should probably buy it when it goes on sale if you're interested" game.

But they had the unfortunate luck of getting picked up by SquareEnix. An indie team would say, "Hmm, maybe we need to dial back the CT references a bit," but when your company literally owns the IP, why not throw a few more homages to one of your favorite games in?

Of course, since they're a SE team, the expectations are a lot higher, and then all of a sudden, all those cute little homages become reminders of a much, much better game. Instead of saying, "Heh, look at that, frog drop!", you say, "Oh goddamn it, frog drop, I just got the rainbow sword and the lucca rod; maybe if you spent more time making an original game..."

Really, this game was in need of a better editor, and it's on SE that the game went out like this. Punch up the characters a bit, give them some more depth, drop the lawful stupid act for Setsuna, tweak the systems that don't work (the weird bonus thing?), that kind of thing. I'd personally probably re-cut the plot to introduce the time loop earlier somehow. The fact that you only play the successful iteration is kinda silly.

If it's essential that Endir be the change, maybe start with Setsuna as the main character, have the pilgrimage go off without a hitch, no lost lands, no blown up airship, no berserk Julienne, maybe even no Kir, until you finally make it to Dark Samsara and get your face eaten. Hell, maybe even let a full-power Reaper wipe you, and if you do grind to beat him, have Dark Samsara cutscene nuke you for the plot. Make that like the first 20% of the game. Fade to black, go to Endir, and let the player figure out it's a time loop as they run into Setsuna and the rest and see things go differently. Show, don't tell.

You don't need a huge team with a ton of assets to make this into a much better game. Some rewrites and a little systems tuning would probably go a long way. You can make the art assets work as-is; that ship has sailed (into frozen waters that all look the same) already.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 27, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you seem to have this idea that ias was some chrono trigger fangame made by an indie studio which got picked up by se. instead, se essentially created an "indie" studio by hiring fresh graduates to form a subsidiary company. if they really wanted to make a chrono trigger homage then they probably wouldn't have made a ffx homage instead. all the ct stuff was likely a corporate mandate. they own the ip but have no interest in making sequels, so why not use it to spice up their experimental pseudo-indie studio's first project?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess i'm just glad they didn't decide to use the chrono trigger ip to make a f2p cell phone game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hey girl you up posted:

But they had the unfortunate luck of getting picked up by SquareEnix.

I'm not sure where you got this idea but that isn't what happened at all. The studio was formed by Square-Enix, they didn't get picked up afterwards.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i am glad that se has been trying to get out of that awful fabula nova rut they were stuck in for years that left them incapable of actually releasing any games, though. even though ias is a deeply mediocre game that doesn't mean the idea of trying to raise new talents from scratch is worthless.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

hey girl you up posted:

The fact that you only play the successful iteration is kinda silly.

... you want them to go the Bravely Default route instead?

i am glad that se has been trying to get out of that awful fabula nova rut they were stuck in for years that left them incapable of actually releasing any games, though. even though ias is a deeply mediocre game that doesn't mean the idea of trying to raise new talents from scratch is worthless.

Actually seeing the finished game, though, I'd say they weren't so much "raising new talent" as they were "hiring new talent and letting them loose without proper direction or supervision"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, I mean, this is the first game a lot of the people making it worked on, right?

An awful lot of the problems are way more forgivable in that light and I could see them improving a lot.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure where you got this idea but that isn't what happened at all. The studio was formed by Square-Enix, they didn't get picked up afterwards.
By "they", I mean the developers who ended up creating this game, not the studio

you seem to have this idea that ias was some chrono trigger fangame made by an indie studio which got picked up by se. instead, se essentially created an "indie" studio by hiring fresh graduates to form a subsidiary company. if they really wanted to make a chrono trigger homage then they probably wouldn't have made a ffx homage instead. all the ct stuff was likely a corporate mandate. they own the ip but have no interest in making sequels, so why not use it to spice up their experimental pseudo-indie studio's first project?
I mean, it essentially looks like they were given a set of keys to the SE vault, a big for indies but small for SE budget (SE wrote down a $2 mil loss last fiscal year on the studio, but if they've taken any accounting tips from Hollywood that number could be meaningless) and told to go buck wild. From the end result, it looks like SE's role was just a publisher, not much more.

The quotes from the thread that I can't be bothered to dig up again make it sound like they tried to do a twist on CT and stumbled into FFX. Why not take them at their word? How is "yeah we went for sadness and ended up paralleling FFX far more than we meant to" any better contrition than "we liked FFX and tried to put our own spin on it"?

Incidentally, "profound sadness" is probably a bad motif for a sprawling RPG that demands player interaction. You'd need serious chops to keep people going. Probably for the best IaS didn't really succeed at being profoundly sad.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... you want them to go the Bravely Default route instead?
I haven't played Bravely Default for a number of reasons, but just because one game does a mechanic/story beat poorly doesn't mean it will never work. And vice-versa, as this game has shown us.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Actually seeing the finished game, though, I'd say they weren't so much "raising new talent" as they were "hiring new talent and letting them loose without proper direction or supervision"

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, I mean, this is the first game a lot of the people making it worked on, right?

An awful lot of the problems are way more forgivable in that light and I could see them improving a lot.
Yeah, SE should really have a way to nurture new teams. But they don't exactly make the best decisions on the RPG front.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
For all intents and purposes, Tokyo RPG is as autonomous as Eidos or DontNod. They're featured with their own company logo for the Switch.

Like, sometimes developers are just bad and it's not the publisher's fault.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tae posted:

For all intents and purposes, Tokyo RPG is as autonomous as Eidos or DontNod. They're featured with their own company logo for the Switch.

Like, sometimes developers are just bad and it's not the publisher's fault.

Unless it's EA.

No I don't harbor a grudge what are you talking about :colbert:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Snow Chronicles 11: Everyone Left in the World

Music: Rare

Welp. We’ve met literally every character of note in the world. At least all the ones that aren’t cursed with non-name physical traits or personality quirks as their titles. Treasure chests, monsters, locations and weapons have also shot up considerably. I’m fairly certain the last location is just the final boss’ zone. I’ll have to figure out what to do about the last Snow Chronicle entry later. But that’s for another day. Right now we’ve got a downpour of new datalogs thanks mostly to the two exploration and backtracking updates.

It’s just a cacophony of overlapping Linkin Park lyrics drumming around in Dingus’s head at all times.

Eutess’ personal taste involves swearing off pants for all eternity, despite living in a place literally known as “The Land of Snow” and... frogs? Look, don’t kink shame. It was a different time a millennium ago.

I don’t think that’s how antlers work. I’m no expert on deer physiology. But I feel like I would have heard about the innate lightning rod aspect to their antlers by now. It would certainly make deer hunting a much more competitive activity if startling a 5 point buck resulted in the hunter potentially being roasted with a lightning bolt.

This, on the other hand, is just simple science. If it can generate its own electricity, why on earth would it go with growing outrageously large antlers? Deer can manifest their antler size at will, right? I think that checks out...

I feel like the overarching vague “monster” threat of I Am Setsuna would be far more palpable if more things like this were showing up to attack villages and not... ornery pigeons and malcontent walruses that half the bestiary consisted of overall. Or just... I don’t know... giving the monsters an actual dumb fantasy title instead of simply “monsters”? That could have gone a long way too...

Behold! The flawless recreation of the human form...? Uhh... Snow Chronicles author, I think you have some issues to sort out...

Ah yes, the mighty Mountain and Cave Shroombacks which calls their home... the frozen halls of the Last Lands castle and the void ruins Frozen Land, situated nowhere near a mountain. Indeed, it’s a sky fortress... the absolute opposite of a mountain. At the very least, bizarre mushroom spore infected apes is a step in the right direction with threatening creature design. Even if their gimmick is just beer burps...

I don’t want anything known as a “Glistening Scale”, thanks...

You know, I’m surprised there wasn’t any subplot involving a subterranean humanoid lizard tribe given all the other Chrono Trigger references. A trio of inexplicable dinosaur enemies is the closest they do. Frankly, that’s fine. The Reptites were lame as poo poo and all had awful sprites. To make no mention that the entire Prehistoric era was the worst part of Chrono Trigger.

Alright, I take back what I said earlier about the big dopey walrus enemies being kinda lame. I did not see the crazy eyed stare of the Spritenite-Eaten variety staring directly into my soul in my brief encounter against this thing...

...Okay, a few Snow Chronicles articles were a bit anachronistic in spots like having innate knowledge of genetics and the like. I don’t think The Land of Snow is privy to nuclear weapons and fallout shelters. I’m sorry, spoilers. The Dark Samsara doesn’t turn out to be a sealed allegory for an unstable nuclear reactor. Dial it a down a notch.

And now we have extra-dimensional electricity elemental deer. That’s not a sentence I expected to type today...

Maybe the wording of “in its eyes” isn’t the best use of words when it has a solitary pulsating glyph where optical nerves ought to be, eh?

This description does not apply if you have initiative in battle and use literally any tech immediately. The weird rare owls haven’t been able to flee immediately in battle since like Chapter 6 or 7. I’m still really unclear why they locked two extra battle themes for enemies you’ll fight no more than 15 seconds at any given point.

I really wish Reaper’s monster category entry was just “Mid-Boss”.

No mention of the Dragnarok pun, huh? Too embarrassed to even pretend that happened, eh, Reaper? I see how it goes...

Hey, have you taken a good look at the Time Judge’s staff? Does it look familiar? Take a real good gander... It’s the C from the logo in Chrono Trigger. Which... ehh... I’ll let slide since it is a cool looking staff and she is literally a time wizard.

They really like to use the term “magical energy” in the crafting process of these weapon descriptions, huh? I played that Nier Automata demo around the time I recorded the footage for these last set of updates. I can confirm Weapon Histories are back in. :getin:

Remember when Crono got ganked off-screen by the lame mid-boss Dalton and an army from bullshit town south of where anything actually happened in that time period? Good stuff.

Setsuna is the only one that doesn’t get a Tron looking techno weapon. This is her equivalent and it’s just not the same.

The eight foot wingspan on this thing is still hilarious. It, Walrus Dagger, and Nidr’s log make up the trifecta of funny dopey rear end weapons everyone will be wielding until the game’s conclusion.

I don’t think chucking a non-functional crossbow at things is any better than lobbing an actual crossbow at someone’s head. In fact, it’s worse than it’s not a functional crossbow. Setsuna being such a dumbass that she thinks a crossbow is some ornate boomerang would be a lot funnier.

You just shrunk the model scale on the katana Endir got earlier. You cannot fool me.

Shape metal alloy specifically molding itself to gently caress up someone’s innards is a pretty metal excuse for a higher critical hit rate. I’m good with that.

Huh... I guess we haven’t gotten Aeterna’s Chrono Trigger reference weapon yet. Weird... Anyway, this dagger is lame. Give me the walrus dagger or the HF Blade.

Everything about this sword is pretty baller. Alas, it came at a time when we already had a much better option. The shrunken baby skulls adornments is a nice touch, though.

Look, let’s just get to what matters...

Nidr whipping out a tree trunk every time he’s ready to throw down is still my favorite weapon in this game.

I’ve run out ways to be exasperated at Kir’s ghoulish collection of dead magical girl casting rods. It’s weird, Kir. What’s your deal? Is this going to take a dark turn in your future? Do you get your tail surgically removed and grow up to be Lezard from Valkyrie Profile or something? Is that your deal, Kir?

This at least has a unique look to it with the floating segmented sections. Even if it is just a sliced up weird mace.

Hey, remember how Lucca got ganked by a random catman and a French jester lady? More importantly, remember how Gato and his generous bounty of Silver Points was taken out by fire imps? Chrono Cross was hosed up, man...

You know, I was going to say I thought most of Julienne’s lances had a pretty solid design to them. But then, well...

Looking at this close up... Everything about this is just terrible looking. The colors. The awkwardly fitted, Chrono Trigger’s Masamune latched to the top. Just nah... This looks like crap. I don’t like it one bit. No sir.

Oh right, we had Dingus join the party, didn’t we? Well, comes with that scythe he’s been swinging around the last five times we encountered him. I mean... it’s an alright looking evil scythe. But it’s kind of hard to make a lovely looking scythe, if we’re being real here. You got a big stick with a nasty curved blade curving off one end? Great. Done!

Endir didn’t get any Techs this entire chapter. Don’t worry, most everyone else is picking up the slack. Like Setsuna, with a physical attack Tech we’ll never use because that is absolutely not what Setsuna is remotely made for doing.

Lightning II, other hand, does have its uses. Its damage is comparable to Luminaire as far as full enemy damage but at nearly half the MP expenditure. It’s a solid mop-up Tech to take out any stragglers in battles.

Ah yes, a fondness for frogs. Not really the sort of thing you want anyone to see possessing given the trash fire of 2016.

This just lets you dupe certain items. If you’re really hurting for an Ether for the entire party or the like. I honestly cannot think of a use case for this one.

I cannot believe Nidr would go and directly one-up Endir’s Cyclone like that. Rude as gently caress.

...Is this just Nidr putting a fancy title on ripping a dank, bubbly fart? That’s what I’m getting out of this description and the term “Emission”.

Yeah, just blow about a quarter of Kir’s total MP in hopes he doesn’t get blasted into the shadow realm. Warning: Will not prevent him from getting crushed into a pulp by any accompanying physical attacks. Of which literally any boss that require a magical barrier would also possess...

Kir is going to return to his home village and accidentally burn the entire goddamn forest down trying to show off to his... siblings/friends. Just you wait.

I ENVOKE THE POWER OF GLACIAL BLADE. FINISHING STRIKE... ICICLEEEE DISASTEEEER!

So big surprise, the whole briefly dying thing wiped Reaper of all his Techs. He’s only got the two stock ones he had the second time we fought him on Lord Whatshisface’s airship. Which, whatever. I am going to use Reaper once to do his side quest and NEVER again.

This was the ruins that will house all the side quest bosses and the super boss after they’re all finished. One of the sidequest might take us here as well. As of now, only a clone of Eutess has migrated here for a refight.

This was the field with the guy very cross about someone stealing a jewel and seemingly destroying their village. The one we couldn’t be bothered to return to in order to clear up the misunderstanding. Pretty sure he’s still wandering around that field. Assuming hypothermia didn’t get to him.

Santa Claus is over everyone’s poo poo.

Did we actually go here...?

The Nameless Village at the very least I can say is involved in a sidequest. Though it won’t live up to its seedy libertarian claims.

It was a house. IN a snowfield. I know... hosed up!

We left a man to bleed out here. That is a thing this party did. He’s almost certainly dead by now, but I’m not going to double check because I don’t remember where it was and there’s no bloody world map to guide me there!

Morthshaw Woods is a place we saw a portal to and promptly left. There’s a reason for that! It’s the entry below: The Village of Heroes. We’re gonna go check out the Village of Heroes after we do all the sidequests because... that’s the most appropriate time to do so. You’ll see why when we get there.

So umm... this is literally the only place they give the “ancient kingdom” Julienne’s whole backstory and half the game’s locations are tied to a proper name... Golteria. Unless I’m forgetting something, it is never alluded to or acknowledged outside this brief blurb on the Last Lands. I don’t know why this game is so against giving proper names to poo poo that ought to have them. It’s like the reverse Xenogears in dolling out proper nouns.

Ah... So Eutess isn’t actually immortal. She’s just hanging out in a pocket dimension where time has stopped and she can remotely reset the outside world’s time with little consequences. Well, then. I guess she just has white anime hair and isn’t really old.

And that’s a wrap for the penultimate chapter of I am Setsuna. Up next is a side quest round-up, an optional area visit, and poking a couple super bosses that I’m going to poke in the eye. Then it’s a straight shot to the Dark Samsara in err... Chapter 13: The Dark Samsara...

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 29, 2017

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
You screwed up the tags in the Icicle Disaster bit. Also it's "invoke" not "envoke."

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

StandardVC10 posted:

You screwed up the tags in the Icicle Disaster bit. Also it's "invoke" not "envoke."

Pssst. I think that might be part of the joke.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

StandardVC10 posted:

Tell that to half the VA's that voiced that line :thejoke:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Quick question about the vote, are we doing separate votes for each sidequest, or just this one vote and the order from most to least voted is the order the quests are done in?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

hey girl you up posted:

Incidentally, "profound sadness" is probably a bad motif for a sprawling RPG that demands player interaction. You'd need serious chops to keep people going. Probably for the best IaS didn't really succeed at being profoundly sad.

I mean, I'd say Nier pretty much pulled it off, but that had the advantage of a mad genius at the helm.

quote:

I haven't played Bravely Default for a number of reasons, but just because one game does a mechanic/story beat poorly doesn't mean it will never work. And vice-versa, as this game has shown us.

Yeah, the way the idea was described reminded me less of BD and more of the intro to Lufia, which worked well enough for what it was trying to do.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 28, 2016

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Ok, I've got a couple questions for the guy was writing the lore for this game.
1. What happens to the bodies of the previous sacrifices? Does Aeterna bring them back? Do they get turned into magical energy for the ritual, or is there a pile of bodies that will never rot because they're sitting around in the timeless dimension?

2. That Valkyrie Bow. Just what exactly is a "fragment of the sun"?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Okay, this is definitely one way to make I Am Setsuna's soundtrack better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlgXXXY-xUc

And also thematically appropriate, more or less. :v:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zagglezig posted:

2. That Valkyrie Bow. Just what exactly is a "fragment of the sun"?

Probably another reference to CT and the sun sphere quest in that game.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Given TDI's characterizations, something along the lines of "I've got this medal to sell you. It'd made of 100% materials that came from a star."

This isn't inaccurate... though may require a higher science in the setting. Though apparently they know about genetics, so gently caress it. Technically correct con it is.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I almost think the Forest Hut is a reference to D.H. Lawrence's "The Man Who Loved Islands", and I wish they'd put just a bit of serious effort into establishing the mood for this game, because it could have been at least interesting.

David Herbert Lawrence posted:

Morning seemed never to come. An eternity long he lay and waited for one alleviating pallor on the night. And at last it seemed the air was paler. His house was a cell faintly illuminated with white light. He realized the snow was walled outside his window. He got up, in the dead cold. When he opened his door, the motionless snow stopped him in a wall as high as his breast. Looking over the top of it, he felt the dead wind slowly driving, saw the snow-powder lift and travel like a funeral train. The blackish sea churned and champed, seeming to bite at the snow, impotent. The sky was grey, but luminous.

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
You say it's hard to make a lovely looking scythe. Yet Namco found a way. Some of Zasalamel's scythes look just awful. And I don't just mean the Joke weapon ones.

Edit: I guess I should probably actually say something relevant to the game itself. I don't know how I feel about Reaper joining like this. I guess, even though he had a portrait, I kinda wished they weren't gonna do it. Would have made a nice twist for people who were expecting it to happen. And him joining so late makes it feel even less worth it than it was for Magus. Though I don't know how long these sidequests will be.

While I won't likely ever play this myself, I can at least see why people would enjoy it.

Burger Flipper fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 28, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's really easy to make a lovely looking scythe, honestly. I'd go as far as saying I've seen more lovely ones in my time with games than not.

It's extra hilarious to read the datalog entries just dropping in Dingus' name.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

The Dark Id posted:

Huh... I guess we haven’t gotten Aeterna’s Chrono Trigger reference weapon yet. Weird... Anyway, this dagger is lame. Give me the walrus dagger or the HF Blade.

The Crisis Dagger is a reference to Robo's Crisis Arm. Since you get it bundled with the Terra Arm, a much less situational weapon, I can see why you'd overlook it.

Burger Flipper posted:

Edit: I guess I should probably actually say something relevant to the game itself. I don't know how I feel about Reaper joining like this. I guess, even though he had a portrait, I kinda wished they weren't gonna do it. Would have made a nice twist for people who were expecting it to happen. And him joining so late makes it feel even less worth it than it was for Magus. Though I don't know how long these sidequests will be.

The fact that Dingus appears to have a different personality than Reaper did makes it even more pointless. I might be on board with this if they made Reaper a consistent character instead of an afterthought, but as he is, I'm just shaking my head.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Solitair posted:

The fact that Dingus appears to have a different personality than Reaper did makes it even more pointless. I might be on board with this if they made Reaper a consistent character instead of an afterthought, but as he is, I'm just shaking my head.

Did Reaper or does Dingus even have a personality to switch between? I mean, he was pretty bland as a generic repeating boss, and he's pretty bland now. Maybe his sidequest provide him with more character? As the Magus analogue he's missing the majority of the characterization that made the addition to the party interesting.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Alright. Poll is closed. Or at least I'm not looking at it again! The final results for the end game are:

62 votes (Makes sense)
58 votes (I mean we did just get him)
28 votes (Why is Kir in the top 3?!)
27 votes (I cannot believe you lost to Kir)
23 votes (You were cooler when you were crazy)
17 votes (You might have peaked with the log weapon, guy)
11 votes (:sad:)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Dark Id posted:

27 votes (I cannot believe you lost to Kir)

I was actually going to vote Aeterna, but I threw in for Nidr because I wanted to see if he goes full Auron ghost-dad :saddowns:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

After the whole Eutess thing I can totally understand why Aeterna lost out to Kir.

"No Aeterna, now you are the Eutess."
'And then she was a Walrus Dagger.'

Every Gremlin must have his day!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

Everyone loves an underdog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007