Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Actually they did it in song form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeEcs_YCd84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

"Well guys, all these ghosts keep turning out to be crooks and criminals. We've stopped half a billion dollars in fraud and embezzlement, but we've found zero ghosts. Sooooo, time to hang it up."

The thieves probably got savvy after a point and realized that attaching a monster to your crime was just going to bring the Mystery Gang's attention. Thus, no monsters, nowhere to go.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Ramos posted:

The thieves probably got savvy after a point and realized that attaching a monster to your crime was just going to bring the Mystery Gang's attention. Thus, no monsters, nowhere to go.

Plus, they'll save a ton of money by not having to build their overly elaborate monster costumes/large scale optical illusions.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
2016 update: My Shiny Teeth and Me still a good song

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Macaluso posted:

2016 update: My Shiny Teeth and Me still a good song

Whatever else you have to say about FOP, it's pretty much always been good in the song department

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll always stand by my opinion that Danny Phantom was the Butch Hartman show with the best balance of comedy and plot. Ultimate Enemy was fantastic.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Danny Phantom was freaking fantastic, specially for its time. Watching Danny progress as a hero and a person was great. Then season 3 happened.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Danny Phantom was freaking fantastic, specially for its time. Watching Danny progress as a hero and a person was great. Then season 3 happened.

Phantom Planet has to be the worst intended series finale in Western Animation history

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only bad thing I can say about Danny Phantom is that maybe they should've planned out a little more ahead of time so that later when they tried to ramp up the plot further it wouldn't be such a trainwreck. Maybe they could've even worked out things so that when the end came it could've been graceful, although I suppose Nickelodeon hates things having endings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPP4zUDuo4c

I've mostly stopped paying attention to Nickelodeon, they don't really have too many cartoons anymore. They've got Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the shambling corpses of Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents, and I don;t know if there's anything else.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Guillermo del Toro's new show on Netflix, "Trollhunters", is pretty great. It starts out as pretty typical as far as character roles and plot goes but it quickly builds on something more.

It's also the last thing Anton Yelchin worked on. :( del Toro even refused to recast him and erase his work. I don't think the next season will be the same without him.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

From my understanding, they had all sorts of complex and layered plans for season three of Danny Phantom.

And then Butch Hartman and the execs said no and it all went downhill from there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Danny Phantom was really good, but I think it really suffered from having Hartman's art style. It just doesn't lend itself to action.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

From my understanding, they had all sorts of complex and layered plans for season three of Danny Phantom.

And then Butch Hartman and the execs said no and it all went downhill from there.

Said no and fired producers and writers like Steve Marmel (who developed the show) and Marty Isenberg, along with some heavy investments that did not pan out (two GBA games) so it never got another order after the initial 52. At least it's a pretty easy line to follow: 2 seasons of good Teenage Superhero Cartoon and then the main villain suddenly acts completely differently, changes the status quo and it's time to jump the show because people who made it what it was left.

Vlad was such an interesting villain, I loved seeing that ultimately broken man continue to fail because he could not even understand the concept of love.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, I think Ultimate Enemy should have been the finale, it wrapped up some good character arcs and had an interesting premise. Also the Ghostly Wail was a really fun and amusing power due to how corny it was. I also like the moment when Dan Phantom finds out, in the midst of ruining Danny's life so that he becomes him, that Jazz actually knew all along, his reaction is pretty cool. I also really loved the Ghost Writer christmas special, mostly because the ending is funny, and the one aspect of Season 3 I kinda liked was the ice powers, because it was an interesting extension of the Ghost Breath/Temperature dropping in a haunted room.

Also Ultimate Enemy makes some very strong implications - Largely due to seeing the box ghost 20 years in the future, but no Lunchlady:

I always took away that while Dan Phantom was trashing all his other enemies, Box Ghost and Lunchlady found solace in each other which eventually developed to result in their daughter Box Lunch. Dan Phantom then at some point permanently killed the Lunchlady, forcing Box ghost to send Box Lunch back in time partially to protect her, partially to stop Danny before he could become Dan, while also forcing the Box Ghost to start taking himself seriously over the next 10 years and really developing his powers, replacing his catchphrase with a more menacing one.

That's just my thoughts on the clues that we are given.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Phantom Planet has to be the worst intended series finale in Western Animation history

I don't think it was intended at all. I'm pretty sure the producers just came in one day and gave him until the end of the weekend to end the whole thing. I like to think of it as fanfiction that just happened to have been written by the original creator.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've mostly stopped paying attention to Nickelodeon, they don't really have too many cartoons anymore. They've got Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the shambling corpses of Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents, and I don;t know if there's anything else.

The Loud House is interesting visually but ultimately unremarkable. They also have some show about a kid and a snake that looks awful.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

readingatwork posted:

I don't think it was intended at all. I'm pretty sure the producers just came in one day and gave him until the end of the weekend to end the whole thing. I like to think of it as fanfiction that just happened to have been written by the original creator.

Does feel that way. I haven't seen it in a while but I always remembered that one subplot in it just felt tacked on to fill time and didn't really amount to much.

I really like Reality Trip as Danny's end point. RT gives the final reinforcement Danny needed to know his parents love him dearly, it's just nice seeing that boy get a couple of "your parents will love you no matter what" moments throughout the series (one with alternate timelines!) culminate in him having an ideal family situation, but returning the status quo not to keep his identity for his own sake but for theirs. Also filled to burst with comic book references, like some visual cues from Killing Joke but with King Joker ideas. And then Kindred Spirit shows us an overly cocky Danny who thinks he's king hotshit of ghost mountain now that he's conquered each and every one of his demons, but mostly backs it up, remembers that his friends are the reason he even got this far and just gets the most legit win against Vlad yet, boasting that new power from ages ago while destroying every last fragile bit of whatever glass life he had left. It's so good. Vlad is so loving down and pissed at that moment, just thinking of what that monster could do unhinged after that defeat... and then season 3. Sigh.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Trollhunters is pretty good. Only watched the first four episodes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh, did Bunnicula just kind of slip under everyone's radar? I don't really know how I managed to avoid hearing any buzz for a new Maxwell Atoms show, and it fuckin' owns on top of that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was on Boomerang and Saturday morning, so nobody watched it. I didn't even know it was Atoms!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So uh, did Bunnicula just kind of slip under everyone's radar? I don't really know how I managed to avoid hearing any buzz for a new Maxwell Atoms show, and it fuckin' owns on top of that

Waffleman_ posted:

It was on Boomerang and Saturday morning, so nobody watched it. I didn't even know it was Atoms!

It's not from him exactly, he's a director/writer/producer. The actual showrunner is Jessica Borutski (who was the lead character designer for The Looney Tunes Show)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
It used to air on CN on Saturday morinings but it was in and out like a demon's whisper.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

It's not from him exactly, he's a director/writer/producer. The actual showrunner is Jessica Borutski (who was the lead character designer for The Looney Tunes Show)

Huh, I got the impression both him and Borutski were showrunners. It definitely feels a huge amount like Grim Adventures.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Huh, I got the impression both him and Borutski were showrunners. It definitely feels a huge amount like Grim Adventures.

actually maybe that is the case. Anyways the designs are definitely more Borutski than Atoms and she's the only one credited under "Developed by".

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I hear the Awful Hospital guy praise it up and down and I read the books as a kid, but I've never heard much else about Bunnicula.

Might have to give it a shot

Seafea
Mar 21, 2003

They say it's not what life throws at you, but how you deal with it.
I know new shows usually start out weak, but I just accidentally watched the Knight and Me sneak peek, and it's terrible even by first episode standards. Like, really really bad.

EDIT: Allright. In fairness, if I were of the target audience age, I'd probably think it was at least worth watching.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Seafea posted:

EDIT: Allright. In fairness, if I were of the target audience age, I'd probably think it was at least worth watching.

The target audience sees better cgi on sprout these days.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
It looks bad, especially after watching Trollhunter.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

I ran through the most recent four or five Star vs the Forces of Evil episodes over the last day. I like that show. marco and jackie is cute leave me alone

me too. i hope the hiatus is not too long, this was the worst cliffhanger to end on...

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Trollhunters is pretty good. Only watched the first four episodes.

AWE poo poo. its out....

So I worked on TrollHunters over 2 years ago. it felt like forever. (I was a prop and enviroment Visdev artist) I couldn't figure out what the final show would be like as it was still a jumbled mess of drawings, temporary voice overs and Indiana Jones sound effects. we were on a tiny budget and we had to reuse as much How to train your dragon stuff as we could.

Please tell me what you guys think of it. I'm too close to it since i worked on it for like a year so all my judgment is clouded.

Little interesting factoid. Lighting and shading CGI is really expensive and tedious, and only big budget movies have the resources to make it look good. but trollhunters utilized a new piece of software that allowed much cheaper lighting, so it was able to achieve something much closer to that of a cinematic pixar look, but for pennies on the dollar. it represents a shift in what CGI television shows will be able to do now. and I fully expect there to be more "movie quality" looking CGI kids shows in the near future. But well see. it really depends if Trollhunters does well.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Was the tech similar to what Sonic Unleashed used?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll always stand by my opinion that Danny Phantom was the Butch Hartman show with the best balance of comedy and plot. Ultimate Enemy was fantastic.
Man I used to like every lovely Nick cartoon from the late 90s to mid 2000s even Jimmy Neutron.

Meanwhile in Disney the only thing worth watching during the early-mid 2000s was Kim Possible which is mainly due to the voice acting being so perfect. That and having the best Batman/Batman Beyond tribute ever.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Typical posted:

AWE poo poo. its out....

So I worked on TrollHunters over 2 years ago. it felt like forever. (I was a prop and enviroment Visdev artist) I couldn't figure out what the final show would be like as it was still a jumbled mess of drawings, temporary voice overs and Indiana Jones sound effects. we were on a tiny budget and we had to reuse as much How to train your dragon stuff as we could.

Please tell me what you guys think of it. I'm too close to it since i worked on it for like a year so all my judgment is clouded.

Little interesting factoid. Lighting and shading CGI is really expensive and tedious, and only big budget movies have the resources to make it look good. but trollhunters utilized a new piece of software that allowed much cheaper lighting, so it was able to achieve something much closer to that of a cinematic pixar look, but for pennies on the dollar. it represents a shift in what CGI television shows will be able to do now. and I fully expect there to be more "movie quality" looking CGI kids shows in the near future. But well see. it really depends if Trollhunters does well.

It's pretty good. I thought it was going to be more of a monster of the week show but I like the overarching story.

Also the show looks great. The lighting and shading helps the show stand out from other CG shows. Makes it look expensive.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Meanwhile in Disney the only thing worth watching during the early-mid 2000s was Kim Possible which is mainly due to the voice acting being so perfect. That and having the best Batman/Batman Beyond tribute ever.

What episode was that?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ThermoPhysical posted:

What episode was that?

The Fearless Ferret one, which was an elaborate injoke about Ron having the same voice actor as Terry McGinnis.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ill forgive you for not mentioning Dave the barbarian

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hihohe posted:

Ill forgive you for not mentioning Dave the barbarian

I can't remember if that show was actually good, but I did love the jokes involving Evil Princess Irminplotz and her evil (but supportive) mother.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Aren't they bringing back Rocko's Modern Life and Hey Arnold with their original creators on board? Or did I hear things wrong?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Typical posted:

AWE poo poo. its out....

I really enjoyed it. The show has some real heart, and great design and world building. What you said is interesting, becausd i did notice a lot of reused assets from HTTYD stuff. It didn't stand out in a negative way, however, it was used very well.

I'd dare say the new tech you yielded earned great results, too. Especially sincs the show relies on a glowing, flashing object as a major prop, which would require good lighting like you said.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Typical posted:

AWE poo poo. its out....

Out of curiosity, what's the rough per-episode budget for an American CG series? I know that Miraculous (French/Japanese/Korean) had a $10 mil budget for its first 26 episodes, or about $385k per ep.

Also, I just saw on IMDb that one of the Trollhunters characters is called Gnome Chompsky. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaunab posted:

It used to air on CN on Saturday morinings but it was in and out like a demon's whisper.
Something about having Bunn voiced by Chris Kattan never sat well with me. But the episode or two I saw gave me Looney Tunes vibes (big dog protects hapless or mischievous little guy)