Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

So there is a quality curve to this show? It starts off rocky or whatever?

Quite honestly, just watching the first few episodes of the first season then skipping to season 2 is probably not going to hurt your viewing pleasure. It isn't so much that the first season is bad, but like people said it just never hits its stride until season 2 and doesn't get REALLY good until the last few episodes of that and the first of episode 3.

It finally starts focusing on stuff you'd actually care about then, being the main characters, the budding rebellion proper, and the dark/lightside struggles of the jedi that amount to actual character development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I've finally seen Rogue One and can return to the thread

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

evilmiera posted:

Quite honestly, just watching the first few episodes of the first season then skipping to season 2 is probably not going to hurt your viewing pleasure. It isn't so much that the first season is bad, but like people said it just never hits its stride until season 2 and doesn't get REALLY good until the last few episodes of that and the first of episode 3.

It finally starts focusing on stuff you'd actually care about then, being the main characters, the budding rebellion proper, and the dark/lightside struggles of the jedi that amount to actual character development.
Eh, at least watching the last episode of season 1 is worthwhile as well on account of a Pretty Good fight scene. Ezra's lightsaber is pretty cool IMO, shame he switched to a conventional one after S1.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Watch S1 anyway, it's more Chopper screentime and that's always good.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The episodes are only 20 minutes, watch season 1 as it sets things up. Only a few filler episodes in there and the second half of the season is pretty good and leads into season 2 a bit more.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im watching this now for the first time and I like it except that im pretty sure by the end of the first season you could leverage genocide charges against the main characters since they all seem to be able to kill 20 stormtroopers at once.

thats the thing i hate most about star wars, stomr troopers are incompetant

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Empress Brosephine posted:

They're conscript soldiers, stationed away from home, fitted with equipment designed around efficiency of mass production rather than efficiency in combat, and largely have no combat experience at all.

Stormtroopers are more about keeping valuable bodies away from a rebellion they might otherwise join, and pitting them against it to boot. The Empire doesn't actually have any other nations it needs to defend itself against remember, there is nothing but the Empire, the entire point of the Imperial military is internal pacification.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

NTRabbit posted:

They're conscript soldiers, stationed away from home, fitted with equipment designed around efficiency of mass production rather than efficiency in combat, and largely have no combat experience at all.

Stormtroopers are more about keeping valuable bodies away from a rebellion they might otherwise join, and pitting them against it to boot. The Empire doesn't actually have any other nations it needs to defend itself against remember, there is nothing but the Empire, the entire point of the Imperial military is internal pacification.

Please don't start this conversation now. I'm at work and I could easily spend the rest of the day talking about the politics of Star Wars and how Palpitene is the biggest moron instead of delivering mail.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NTRabbit posted:

hmm that makes sense just you think one of them could atleast hit one of these goobers especially when theyre sitting in the middle of a battlefield monologing

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

im watching this now for the first time and I like it except that im pretty sure by the end of the first season you could leverage genocide charges against the main characters since they all seem to be able to kill 20 stormtroopers at once.

If you're keeping tallies, get a separate pad (or book) for Chopper. He's the genocidiest.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

hmm that makes sense just you think one of them could atleast hit one of these goobers especially when theyre sitting in the middle of a battlefield monologing

Eh plot armor is an old friend of Star Wars Protagonists.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Wait until S3, where straight-up war crimes by the Ghost Crew are the order of the day.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

2016 had to take one more on the way out, rip Princess Leia

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

2016 had to take one more on the way out, rip Princess Leia

Carrie Fisher...May the Force be with you. :cry:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TheBigBad posted:

Ahsoka is the best thing to come out of the prequels (indirectly).

She's probably one of the better characters in Star Wars really, simply because she had so much screen time and wasn't constrained by expectation. Her and Ventress are easily the best things in the prequels.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its kinda funny that. Given she was such an annoying brat to start with.

It's probably because she was such a brat that she became so interesting, since starting low means when you climb up it's easier to notice the difference and you have more to scale. Anakin and Luke are much the same too, starting out quite low as brats or whiners and growing up through conflict to become more balanced individuals.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Clone Wars Anakin is the best portrayal of him. You see the underlying darkness and reminders every so often of what he'll become, but he's still a better character than the actual prequels version of him.

This is true. It's also kind of a pity that season 6 was cut short, since there's some great moments for him in the proto-episodes Lucasarts released using production models and incomplete animation. Him taking out all the guards using pistols as a grudgingly impressed Obi-Wan watches is great, but the real shame is him and Obi-Wan discussing how he feels about Ahsoka leaving around a campfire. It's a very blunt scene in terms of reference, since it foreshadows Anakin becoming Darth Vader hard, but the emotional conflict and pain he displays in the scene is fantastic and really helps cement his character even with such simplistic art. I'd really liked to have seen more of him, Ahsoka and Ventress for another season or two, just to see where the show intended to take them (yes I'm aware Ventress had a novel, but it'd still be nice) and how each of them reacted to what was happening.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You can see Anakin ripping his character development to shreds as Ahsoka walked down the temple steps. Frankly it's impressive he didn't start killing younglings right then and there.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Remind me of the s3 warcrimes? Other than that little incident in the first episode.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

ShineDog posted:

Remind me of the s3 warcrimes? Other than that little incident in the first episode.

That's the one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Funky Valentine posted:

You can see Anakin ripping his character development to shreds as Ahsoka walked down the temple steps. Frankly it's impressive he didn't start killing younglings right then and there.

The music gets me everytime I watch that episode.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

teagone posted:

The music gets me everytime I watch that episode.

Kiner can really bring it when he gets a chance! I love that moment, Zeb's black hole theme from last season, Ahsoka vs. Vader, Kanan reaching for a plummeting Ezra... any others?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

How can you forget the glorious Imperial Parade March, citizen?

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I just love so many things about Empire Day that it's hard to remember them all. Great pick!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Oh cool, Princess Leia is in this episode.

:cry:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There was too much going on onscreen to pay proper attention, but I feel like the Y-Wings in Rogue One had more of the Clone Wars era bodywork on them than the ANH ones, and I think I recall them having a yellow paint job - a link back to the Rebels ones maybe?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

There was too much going on onscreen to pay proper attention, but I feel like the Y-Wings in Rogue One had more of the Clone Wars era bodywork on them than the ANH ones, and I think I recall them having a yellow paint job - a link back to the Rebels ones maybe?

Could be a link back to Rebels or TCW where I think they were almost solid yellow.

Were they Gold Squadron in any of the original trilogy?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yup, Gold Squadron also appears in ANH and RotJ.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yes, Gold Squadron is from the OT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWJV_B1TzQM

Minor Rogue One/ANH connection spoiler: Gold and Read Leads in Rogue One are the same Squadron commanders that die at the Battle of Yavin. Both were put in Rogue One via unused footage/audio from A New Hope

Minor Trivia: Vander is an Onderonian like Saw.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 30, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well I finally saw Rogue One

did the Ghost make it you guys :ohdear: it looked like it got out of the way of Vader's Star Destroyer but...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aces High posted:

did the Ghost make it you guys :ohdear: it looked like it got out of the way of Vader's Star Destroyer but...

I think so. It would be dark as gently caress for them to kill off the leads of the children's cartoon as an unannounced event in the background of a movie. I mean, even Rogue One is not that dark.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think so. It would be dark as gently caress for them to kill off the leads of the children's cartoon as an unannounced event in the background of a movie. I mean, even Rogue One is not that dark.
Crashing would let everyone live as long as possible without some contrivance why they went silent ABY. :unsmith:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Crashing would let everyone live as long as possible without some contrivance why they went silent ABY. :unsmith:

Or they're just doing other stuff for most of the OT and we missed the Ghost at Endor because it's a tiny freighter. Let me have this, dammit!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

With the updated editions of ROTJ, when you count all the engines there's about ten times as many ships fleeing the blast zone of the Death Star II than you actually see arrive at the battle, and that's after a bunch of them get swatted.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Aces High posted:

Yes, 1 Star Destroyer jumped in right after most of the small craft jumped. Vader was after the capital ship. The Ghost is safe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheBigBad posted:

Yes, 1 Star Destroyer jumped in right after most of the small craft jumped. Vader was after the capital ship. The Ghost is safe.

Yea but a bunch of smaller craft plowed right into the Devastator as they tried to escape. Everything involving Vader in Rogue one was scary as gently caress

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I'm up to Shroud of Darkness.

Yoda mentions Malachor. Does that mean the KOTOR games are still cannon? If so... :neckbeard:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea but a bunch of smaller craft plowed right into the Devastator as they tried to escape. Everything involving Vader in Rogue one was scary as gently caress

2 troop transports did that. The Ghost was in the shot right before when the Admiral said make the jump to light speed. All the smaller ships jumped, which The Ghost would have been among, then Vader showed up in frame and the transports plowed into them. Remember the fleet took out 2 Star Destroyers and the planetary shield generator. By all counts, this is militarily a Rebellion win.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Pyrrhic victory at best, surely?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pyrrhic victory at best, surely?

PRetty much. By the end of 4, the Rebel fleet is pretty much decimated.

Also, when were A Wings considered the Red Shirts of the Rebel fleet?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 31, 2016

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm up to Shroud of Darkness.

Yoda mentions Malachor. Does that mean the KOTOR games are still cannon? If so... :neckbeard:

Korriban was changed to Morriban for some reason, but since the KOTOR games are so goddamned far in the past there is no reason to assume otherwise unless stated directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, when were A Wings considered the Red Shirts of the Rebel fleet?
I don't think they necessarily are. You just see a bunch of them get blown up in Rebels because hey, something's gotta get blown up.

• Locked thread