Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

Horrible Histories is amazing.

Oh, yeah, I grew up on them. I barely read at all before I got into Horrible Histories in school. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It was a brave decision to base Turing on renowned physicist Sheldon Cooper but I think it pays off

The movie is much better when watched from this perspective. BAZINGA!

Yeah portraying him as committing treason by not reporting the Soviet informer in his crew because he's afraid people will know he likes guys was incredibly short-sighted, and insulting to his legacy.

On the subject of biopics, I felt like Hacksaw Ridge was obsessed with the admittedly incredible deed of Desmond Doss, but doesn't make any sort of effort to actually flesh him out as a character. He's an object that receives scorn, hatred and abuse from his fellow soldiers and commanding officers for his beliefs the entire movie, he does something incredible in spite of that because BIBLE, then the movie ends. I know Doss was supposed to be meek and inoffensive, but literally every other character in the movie receives a better characterization than him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

God Hole posted:

The movie is much better when watched from this perspective. BAZINGA!

Yeah portraying him as committing treason by not reporting the Soviet informer in his crew because he's afraid people will know he likes guys was incredibly short-sighted, and insulting to his legacy.

On the subject of biopics, I felt like Hacksaw Ridge was obsessed with the admittedly incredible deed of Desmond Doss, but doesn't make any sort of effort to actually flesh him out as a character. He's an object that receives scorn, hatred and abuse from his fellow soldiers and commanding officers for his beliefs the entire movie, he does something incredible in spite of that because BIBLE, then the movie ends. I know Doss was supposed to be meek and inoffensive, but literally every other character in the movie receives a better characterization than him.

Half the theater I was in thought he died at the end because of how the evacuation scene was framed with all the godly imagery and poo poo. People were really confused when the ending happened and he wasn't dead.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

God Hole posted:

I know Doss was supposed to be meek and inoffensive, but literally every other character in the movie receives a better characterization than him.

Also, he was loving drafted. But the movie has him willingly enlisting.

That's just the sort of thing I'm talking about. Does portraying what actually happened detract from his heroism? No ", it loving doesn't, so why not tell the real story instead of making poo poo up?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I'm with you on this one Phanatic. If your movie is about real people and real things that happened I want that poo poo realistic and historically accurate as possible. If the subject matter or characters are too boring, then make a different loving movie. Like the Rocketeer or Dick Tracy or whatever for your fictional period piece.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Films are art and adaptations. They aren't going to just record Benedict Cumberbatch sit down and read Alan Turing's wikipedia page like how some of you appear to want. What do you think of paintings that don't look exactly like the real person or the real event? You must think Picasso is a hack. Also that rear end in a top hat Shakespeare didn't capture the life of Julius Caesar 100% correctly.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 05:18 on Dec 28, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phanatic posted:

poo poo that purports to be accurate is held to a higher standard than stuff that doesn't.

No it isn't. :ssh:

Biographies and memoirs are almost always full of lies and inaccuracies and inevitably frame issues in ways that give false impressions in order to serve whatever the author's agenda is. I don't know why it's always regarded as a shocking scandal when some popular memoir turns out to be bullshit, because anyone who pays attention should know it's going to happen.

Same with drugs in sport. Elite athletes are cheating. The media outrage every time one of them is caught is absurd, because if you've seen it this many times and still haven't spotted the pattern, you're wilfully deluding yourself.

Always assume that any "true story" is just a lie that hasn't been caught yet and enjoy it as fiction.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
No story is 100% faithful to reality, therefore there is no difference between the truth and a lie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

No story is 100% faithful to reality, therefore there is no difference between the truth and a lie.

This angries up the student.

#nocherrytree

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Films are art and adaptations. They aren't going to just record Benedict Cumberbatch sit down and read Alan Turing's wikipedia page like how some of you appear to want. What do you think of paintings that don't look exactly like the real person or the real event? You must think Picasso is a hack. Also that rear end in a top hat Shakespeare didn't capture the life of Julius Caesar 100% correctly.

It's possible to adapt something artistically while still being accurate an historical #whoa #wow

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Tiggum posted:

No it isn't. :ssh:

Biographies and memoirs are almost always full of lies and inaccuracies and inevitably frame issues in ways that give false impressions in order to serve whatever the author's agenda is. I don't know why it's always regarded as a shocking scandal when some popular memoir turns out to be bullshit, because anyone who pays attention should know it's going to happen.

Same with drugs in sport. Elite athletes are cheating. The media outrage every time one of them is caught is absurd, because if you've seen it this many times and still haven't spotted the pattern, you're wilfully deluding yourself.

Always assume that any "true story" is just a lie that hasn't been caught yet and enjoy it as fiction.

There's nothing mysterious or absurd about it - outrage sells and people like money.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm not sure about Picasso, this is more like a film by the old lady who painted Potato Jesus.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
An important distinction is that films like that claim to be biographical rather than simply being a metaphorical representation or tale inspired by historical figures as were the plays and paintings of old. Even when not advertised as such, the modern idea of "based on a true story" has a radically different context and set of expectations in our culture.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This conversation widened a bit, but it's totally okay to hate The Imitation Game, the movie that ends with ALAN TURING DIED ON THE WAY BACK TO HIS HOME PLANET.

I learned to enjoy a little fantasy in my historical dramas by watching Come and See.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

What do people here think of the movie Joy? No one seems to actually know anything about Joy Mangano's real life history, and director David O. Russell was pretty up front about it not actually being representative of her life story, but more using her as a conduit through which he can portray the struggle of women in male dominated capitalist America. But it's still a Joy Mangano biopic complete with miracle mop.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've always been of the opinion that it's not Reality's job to be interesting - it's the filmmakers job to take that reality and make it interesting, and if you have to sacrifice reality for storytelling instead of incorporating it, you are a bad storyteller. Also if you are writing a thing based on reality, and something happens that doesn't tell the story you want to tell, be flexible, don't shoehorn it into a message that it doesn't belong in. Reality is not apolitical, but it's not trying to send a message either - stuff just happens. The story comes in how people react to it. If there's a story you want to tell, find a point of view of the era/situation that does follow the story instead of focusing on the main players. Maybe there was a friend of the person, or family member who more strictly adheres to the point you want to make, and that's OK! Use the little known person, tell the story never told and it may be interesting on it's own.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Dec 28, 2016

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

WickedHate posted:

An important distinction is that films like that claim to be biographical rather than simply being a metaphorical representation or tale inspired by historical figures as were the plays and paintings of old. Even when not advertised as such, the modern idea of "based on a true story" has a radically different context and set of expectations in our culture.

Whenever I see "based on a true story" at the start of a film I expect them to mean the title of the movie is based on it, not the content. If I want historical accuracy I'll watch a documentary.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Good Morning, Vietnam, Patch Adams, and A Beautiful Mind were the same way.
Pedantic nerds got upset over the lack of accuracy. Meanwhile, some people just went and enjoyed the movies.
The best possible case is that people who enjoy the films get interested enough in the subject to do their own research, read a book, watch a documentary, or at least read the Wikipedia page.
Worst case, and more likely, people will start quoting the movie at parties as literal fact and make themselves feel smart but look dumb.

Hell, I believed Amityville Horror was real until I was in my mid-20's because, after all, it is based on a true story.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It was a brave decision to base Turing on renowned physicist Sheldon Cooper but I think it pays off

I'm irritated that a growing number of people seem to think that all smart people must be like the characters on Big Bang Theory. I'm not sure if Hollywood is taking that and running with it, or if this is just a case of them deciding it would be great if Cumberbatch played Turing more like Sherlock.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sheldon has autism right? I've only seen a handful of episodes but there no way he isn't on the spectrum.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Len posted:

Sheldon has autism right? I've only seen a handful of episodes but there no way he isn't on the spectrum.

Yeah, the idea that all smart people are socially inept is a stereotype old as time, even when there's an incredible number of brilliant individuals who ate charismatic.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah, the idea that all smart people are socially inept is a stereotype old as time, even when there's an incredible number of brilliant individuals who ate charismatic.

See that's the problem. It's hard to be accepted in society as a smart person when you're eating concepts.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Neil Tyson being a prime example.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Aleph Null posted:

Good Morning, Vietnam, Patch Adams, and A Beautiful Mind were the same way.
Pedantic nerds got upset over the lack of accuracy. Meanwhile, some people just went and enjoyed the movies.
The best possible case is that people who enjoy the films get interested enough in the subject to do their own research, read a book, watch a documentary, or at least read the Wikipedia page.
Worst case, and more likely, people will start quoting the movie at parties as literal fact and make themselves feel smart but look dumb.

Hell, I believed Amityville Horror was real until I was in my mid-20's because, after all, it is based on a true story.

I dont expect biopics to be realistic instead of superhero stories based on the framework of someone's life, but i also don't think "you said this was true but it isn't" is too pedantic of a criticism

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

For me the issue isn't so much inaccuracies as such, but wholly unnecessary inaccuracies. Usually it's either lazy writing or an inept attempt at drama or tension that should've been not done at all or differently. We need romance, drama, comedy, let's just insert whatever, instead of going through the effort of finding/adapting an appropriate aspect of the original story, that's too much work.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

swamp waste posted:

I dont expect biopics to be realistic instead of superhero stories based on the framework of someone's life, but i also don't think "you said this was true but it isn't" is too pedantic of a criticism

What's funny is the real-life doctor Patch Adams is weirder and more interesting than the character Robin Williams played.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gordon Shumway posted:

I'm irritated that a growing number of people seem to think that all smart people must be like the characters on Big Bang Theory. I'm not sure if Hollywood is taking that and running with it, or if this is just a case of them deciding it would be great if Cumberbatch played Turing more like Sherlock.

I've tried the Big Bang Theory a bunch of times and I just don't get it. My parents love it, my brother and sister love it, they all think I should love it, but it's beyond me. None of the characters are particularly endearing; they're just annoying. :shrug:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've tried the Big Bang Theory a bunch of times and I just don't get it. My parents love it, my brother and sister love it, they all think I should love it, but it's beyond me. None of the characters are particularly endearing; they're just annoying. :shrug:

Yeah. And it sucks when family members think of you as Sheldon or uh, that Roseanne kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm-gFXdmqik

eh

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

syscall girl posted:

Yeah. And it sucks when family members think of you as Sheldon or uh, that Roseanne kid.

I hate this so much. I have a similar job to Sheldon's and every holiday they quote the show and ask if I've seen X episode and are just obsessed with Sheldon. There are only a handful of people like that in the field and everyone hates them no matter how smart they are.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I admit I enjoyed most of Big Bang Theory, but found the final season to be fairly toothless - for the other characters they hadn't been too afraid to change the joke - Raj started pathologically shy, but they allowed him to get over that and the joke became Raj being bad at dating, then eventually dating someone he liked and having a stable relationship (for a while). Howard went from weird pervert to married man and the joke changed there too - focusing on the new dynamics: the strain that Howard's reliance on his overbearing mother was putting on his marriage, Bernadette being a little too much like Howard's mother for comfort, Howards strained relationship with his new father-in-law - they all added new takes on old characters.

Hell, even Stuart had the shortlived caper as Mrs Walowitz's caretaker before her death that was amusing and somewhat cute.

Then it looked like Sheldon's turn after losing everything consistent in his life (comic books, his career, etc) - he found comfort in the one thing he had left, his trains, and went on a journey of self discovery, and I was like, this could be interesting. But then they disappointed me by simply repeating an earlier joke where Sheldon gets his poo poo stolen and immmediately gives up and squandered the opportunity that they had to change the joke. My brother argued that they had written themselves into a corner, but that's just bad writing - they could have done literally anything with him, he was already opening up to Amy with physical contact, so that joke had already evolved.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Captain America Covil War the heroes have to decide if they should be overseen by the government or stay free. To make their case, the government shows scenes from previous films and the destruction caused. Everyone sits there as battle locations are listed off and footage is shown. It's only when they're shown the last battle and scarlet witch looks away that Cap says "ok that's enough". Well they're pretty much done by thst point so the guy would have shut off the screen within the next few seconds. Cap is supposed to come across as compassionate for wanting to stop this but he waited until like 99% of the presentation. He could have said "that's enough" and the General would have said "yeah I'm done anyway". Everyone knew the battles and what had occurred so if Cap wanted to spare them he should have said something on the first video or before it started and said "we all know what happened. You don't have to show anything". It'd be like the ref in a boxing match standing there as a boxer beats the other one almost to death and when he walks off the ref steps in and says "hey let's break it up now"

Welp bye

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

My mum says I remind her of Sheldon, which worries me, because I find Sheldon particularly tiresome.

Speaking of unlikable characters, one character I found really annoying was the autistic character from Alphas, and I feel kind of guilty about feeling that way. :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

oldpainless posted:

In Captain America Covil War the heroes have to decide if they should be overseen by the government or stay free. To make their case, the government shows scenes from previous films and the destruction caused. Everyone sits there as battle locations are listed off and footage is shown. It's only when they're shown the last battle and scarlet witch looks away that Cap says "ok that's enough". Well they're pretty much done by thst point so the guy would have shut off the screen within the next few seconds. Cap is supposed to come across as compassionate for wanting to stop this but he waited until like 99% of the presentation. He could have said "that's enough" and the General would have said "yeah I'm done anyway". Everyone knew the battles and what had occurred so if Cap wanted to spare them he should have said something on the first video or before it started and said "we all know what happened. You don't have to show anything". It'd be like the ref in a boxing match standing there as a boxer beats the other one almost to death and when he walks off the ref steps in and says "hey let's break it up now"

Welp bye

He broke it up then because they were showing the battle where her brother died.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

oldpainless posted:

Welp bye

He could have just said "Your point? If we hadn't been there, even more people would have died and you were planning on nuking the entire city during that first one, anyway. You want us to be controlled by those guys? Tony is the impulsive idiot with guilt and authority issues. Make him sign. I'm going back to being awesome at my job."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Why did they call him the Winter Soldier when he was clearly active during the other seasons as well?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I remember posts that talk about movies where the stepdad isn't a terrible rear end in a top hat, in particular how Liar Liar and 2012 have the stepdads be rather reasonable. So in comparison San Andreas does an amazing job of just having the stepdad be completely and utterly despicable, then follows him after he gets separated for half the movie, while he has no further relevance to the plot and meets the predictable end.

I was also a bit perplexed by how the movie starts, with the girl driving her car, fiddling around in her bag and then her phone while various hazards appear, making you think she's going to crash due to her negligence, but it's actually when she's put her phone away and starts paying attention that the crash happens. I guess there's no moral to be learnt there, a natural disaster could strike at any moment, so keep texting and driving, folks!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Aleph Null posted:

He could have just said "Your point? If we hadn't been there, even more people would have died and you were planning on nuking the entire city during that first one, anyway. You want us to be controlled by those guys? Tony is the impulsive idiot with guilt and authority issues. Make him sign. I'm going back to being awesome at my job."

People aren't always reasonable. The point is when people die, people want someone to blame. Preferably someone still alive, otherwise it lacks emotional catharsis.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

I remember posts that talk about movies where the stepdad isn't a terrible rear end in a top hat, in particular how Liar Liar and 2012 have the stepdads be rather reasonable. So in comparison San Andreas does an amazing job of just having the stepdad be completely and utterly despicable, then follows him after he gets separated for half the movie, while he has no further relevance to the plot and meets the predictable end.

I was also a bit perplexed by how the movie starts, with the girl driving her car, fiddling around in her bag and then her phone while various hazards appear, making you think she's going to crash due to her negligence, but it's actually when she's put her phone away and starts paying attention that the crash happens. I guess there's no moral to be learnt there, a natural disaster could strike at any moment, so keep texting and driving, folks!

It builds tension, relieves it, then immediately raises the stakes. Its standard pacing.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I understand the concept of pacing, but it's like when Itchy and Scratchy are on their way to the fireworks factory, you expect the payoff to be from the fireworks. If they just randomly blow up in the middle of the road after leaving the fireworks factory without incident (or if a totally bogus cartoon dog shows up) then it feels off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Why did they call him the Winter Soldier when he was clearly active during the other seasons as well?

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-etymology-of-the-Winter-Soldier