Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Wheat Loaf posted:

How do we define "dad rock" exactly? Is it a particular subset of classic rock or just classic rock in general?

Essentially pop-rock from the 60s to 70s. Everyone I know who lionizes those bands as The Best (and isn't just someone who wants to be young again) tend to be this weird sort of anti-hipster who are smug as all hell but don't even bother being fake-creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

bradzilla posted:

I think it is dumb and bad to post on social media about a celebrity death as if you knew the person personally

i dunno it's pretty chic these days for celebrities to write candid, tell-all autobiographies and otherwise continuously maintain an active public image through social media/AMAs/etc or more traditionally through interviews, public appearances, whatever - i figure that's enough to give most people the impression of actually having known the person

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

You just had/have a very narrow cultural scope.

Not really. From like 1996-2001 there was abnormally large amount of poo poo music being made and not a whole lot stuff that holds up.

I'm not claiming it was totally devoid of anything good but it was a pretty bad little era for music.

I'd like to hear what you would consider really good from that era. There was some good post hardcore stuff, some allright but mostly forgettable hip hop...most other decent stuff that came out around then were artists established in the early 90s or before. Not a whole lot of new good stuff happening in that era imao.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I've never been terribly musical myself, and have found some things to be decent tunes, but do not tend to obsess over the stuff. Until the advent of recorded and later, broadcast music, I think lots of people didn't care for music at all, or only cared very little, and it would be a good thing if society found a way back to that.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
People should retire at 50 regardless of whether they are financially able. Most people over 50 are not able to easily adapt to changes in the workplace and are anchors on workplace morale and productivity.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I agree. They should have removed Obama halfway through his first term.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

oldpainless posted:

I agree. They should have removed Obama halfway through his first term.

Qft

Hyperbole aside, I think I actually meant to say people in soulless jobs that are clearly not fantastic talented people who are great at their jobs. So only old bitter pieces of poo poo that are a loving drag all the time should be forced out. Obama looks like he could probably be cool at a corporate party

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

areyoucontagious posted:

People should retire at 50 regardless of whether they are financially able. Most people over 50 are not able to easily adapt to changes in the workplace and are anchors on workplace morale and productivity.

Agreed, welfare should be expanded so that people that have trouble finding their place in the workforce can live their lives without bothering the productive people.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

areyoucontagious posted:

Qft

Hyperbole aside, I think I actually meant to say people in soulless jobs that are clearly not fantastic talented people who are great at their jobs. So only old bitter pieces of poo poo that are a loving drag all the time should be forced out. Obama looks like he could probably be cool at a corporate party

Where is the line between old bitter piece of poo poo and the guy who tried what you want to do X years ago and can tell you why it didn't work for him?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Being mean to sales people makes you a piece of poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That is an overwhelmingly popular opinion.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It really isn't. People are assholes to sales people all the time and are often proud of it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And those people are generally regarded as pieces of poo poo.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

veni veni veni posted:

And those people are generally regarded as pieces of poo poo.

But there's a lot of them, and they all congratulate one another for doing so.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

veni veni veni posted:

That is an overwhelmingly popular opinion.

It's a popular opinion in the abstract, like being a good tipper or being nice to Customer Service Reps. It's just that your situation is totally different.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

areyoucontagious posted:

Qft

They should just kill all the olds.

Except for me, I'm a pillar of community and too highly regarded to be disposable.

lol, go gently caress yourself.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

veni veni veni posted:

Not really. From like 1996-2001 there was abnormally large amount of poo poo music being made and not a whole lot stuff that holds up. I'd like to hear what you would consider really good from that era.
I skimmed through my music collection and came up with some names: Cake, Sheryl Crow, The Waifs, Aqua, Spice Girls, The Whitlams, Beastie Boys, Mary Gauthier, No Doubt, TLC, Colin Hay, Barenaked Ladies, Garbage, Shaggy.

Some of those were obviously around before that period, but they were still making good music at that time. And obviously you might not agree that they're good, but I still like all of them as much or more than I did then.

gleebster posted:

Until the advent of recorded and later, broadcast music, I think lots of people didn't care for music at all, or only cared very little, and it would be a good thing if society found a way back to that.
Leaving aside whether or not people liked music before the technology to record it existed (they did), why would that be good?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gleebster posted:

I've never been terribly musical myself, and have found some things to be decent tunes, but do not tend to obsess over the stuff. Until the advent of recorded and later, broadcast music, I think lots of people didn't care for music at all, or only cared very little, and it would be a good thing if society found a way back to that.

Opera singers were some of the biggest mass appeal celebrities of the 19th century. They would go on tour and have throngs of people turn out to see see hem when their an up a arrived in the harbour.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Some people are just inexplicably indestructible. Apparently English rock stars are just immune to everything.

Lemmy died at 70 and Ozzie is 68 and still trucking.

Accordingly for the prince of darkness his body is adept at consuming alcohol.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/genetic-mutations-ozzy-osbourne-party-hard/story?id=12032552

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

gleebster posted:

Yeah, that's objectively wrong. People did care a lot about music even back then. Medieval rulers would pay good money to get specific musicians to their courts, people would attend concerts at least once a week or so when they could afford it in the 19th century (just read up on Hitler's attitude to music when he was broke in Vienna, he was obsessed with it and he wasn't necessarily exceptional in that regard), musicians would get huge obituaries after their death, showing that it was not only the spectacle of listening to music but the music itself that got people's attention and so on. Attitudes towards music, even such basic things as “what is music?“ can vary greatly depending on time and location (just look at Indonesian gamelan music vs traditional western stuff), but one thing never changed and that was that music was always deemed to be really important. This even goes for societies were music is outlawed (like Afghanistan under the Taliban), because even there there was/is officially sanctioned music (like the muezzins), music being performed and enjoyed secretly and, in general, music being seen as important enough to outlaw, after all.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Theatre and music halls were the foremost gathering places for all classes prior to the advent of recorded picture and sound. The first time the police in America were armed with firearms was due to a massive deadly conflict between two factions of theatre goers (populists vs elitists), the Astor Place Riot. In London in 1809 people rioted for two months over the increase in admission fees (Old Price Riots). Illustrated song books with lyrics and sheet music, with themes ranging from religious to humorous to titillating, were incredibly popular wares at markets, and pretty much the equivalent of modern records. So were cantastories, storyboards used to guide audiences throughout popular songs as the performer combined musical and dramatic elements to entertain a crowd.

Etc, etc.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 11:58 on Dec 28, 2016

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Tiggum posted:

I skimmed through my music collection and came up with some names: Cake, Sheryl Crow, The Waifs, Aqua, Spice Girls, The Whitlams, Beastie Boys, Mary Gauthier, No Doubt, TLC, Colin Hay, Barenaked Ladies, Garbage, Shaggy.

Some of those were obviously around before that period, but they were still making good music at that time. And obviously you might not agree that they're good, but I still like all of them as much or more than I did then.

Leaving aside whether or not people liked music before the technology to record it existed (they did), why would that be good?

Also The Chronic by Dr. Dre and 37 Chambers by the Wu Tang clan. Arguably two of the greatest hip hop albums ever made.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
digitally re-creating the likeness of irl people who played a role in an older movie or tv-series, whether it is their youthful appearance that is recreated, or the actual person has died, is both extremely off-putting, and it is a sign that people are way too strongly invested in the canon and continuity of fictional universes, that something like Carrie Fisher's digital Star Wars re-apperance isn't considered some kind of massively inappropriate digital necromancy but is an acceptable homage is weird.

just get a new actor to do the stuff. it's super weird to not be able to let go off stuff & accept some change. it reminds me of people who want to clone their pets so that they can have the "same one" forever. it seems massively unhealthy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

Also The Chronic by Dr. Dre and 37 Chambers by the Wu Tang clan. Arguably two of the greatest hip hop albums ever made.

Both early 90s so not relevant.

Also lol 90% of those artists in tiggums post, just reinforcing my statement.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grandmother of Five posted:

something like Carrie Fisher's digital Star Wars re-apperance isn't considered some kind of massively inappropriate digital necromancy

Well she wasn't dead when they made it, so I'm guessing she had to approve her likeness being used.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

Both early 90s so not relevant.

Well gently caress I'm getting old.

Haha yeah besides the Beastie Boys that was a pretty poo poo list.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
People say that 96 to 01 was bad, but if you ask me, the entire decade of 00 to 09 was a sinkhole of bland forgettable music. A lot of it was not just boring, but straight up annoying. There are pretty much no pop hits from that decade with any kind of leading power.

Except Hey Ya. Hey Ya is good.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I like the Barenaked Ladies.

Somebody has to.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aramek posted:

Somebody has to.

i don't think liking naked ladies is an unpopular opinion :v:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Aramek posted:

Somebody has to.

They are legit one of my favorite bands.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

WampaLord posted:

Well she wasn't dead when they made it, so I'm guessing she had to approve her likeness being used.

huh. i thought some scenes with her were re-constructed, digital stuff, for some reason. it is definitely a lot less weird in that case, but the whole need for continuity/canon in fictional universes that you see a bunch in fantasy & sci-fi is weird to me still. i get that a lot of money is on the line & it makes sense to make big contract with actors like that have some kind of clause about using their likeliness is OK, but it still comes across as off-putting, as if the fictional character is more important than the person behind it.

anyway, as far as the music discussion goes, imo music, and pretty much art in general has only gotten better throughout history. all genres and time periods have classics that transcends their time & genre, that's what makes them classic, but overall, i think that the increasingly widespread access to- and quality of education makes for a much larger artistic talent pool, and the great works of arts that have survived the ages are part of the building blocks that new artists rise from. both a larger talent pool and a wider range of works to draw inspiration from, has both heightened and broadened artistic endeavour, musical & otherwise. pining for any past age is nostalgia.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aramek posted:

Somebody has to.

Nothing wrong with that. They're a great summer band

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

huh. i thought some scenes with her were re-constructed, digital stuff, for some reason. it is definitely a lot less weird in that case, but the whole need for continuity/canon in fictional universes that you see a bunch in fantasy & sci-fi is weird to me still. i get that a lot of money is on the line & it makes sense to make big contract with actors like that have some kind of clause about using their likeliness is OK, but it still comes across as off-putting, as if the fictional character is more important than the person behind it.

She has one scene in the entire movie and she says one word. It's a digital effect but she only died yesterday so obviously it's not necromancy. Tarkin was necromancy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

veni veni veni posted:

You've basically set yourself a position that's impossible to argue with, because no matter what examples anyone gives you can just say "but I don't like those", and you could do that with any time period (or genre or whatever other criteria you like). But it's a pretty pointless statement to make because all you're saying is "I personally don't like some things". No one here knows what music you do like so it's basically impossible to give counter-examples. If you want to make a more widely applicable point, then maybe give some examples from 1990-1995 an 2002-2007 and say why you think those are better than the music of '96-'01?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Here's my unpopular opinion:

People put too much importance on music. To me, music is something you have on in the car while driving or hear while out in a bar, not something to form an identity around, unless you are a musician.

It's also the most subjective art form. I think 99% of people could agree that The Godfather is a better movie than something like White Chicks, but good luck getting people to agree on any sort of "best" bands.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WampaLord posted:

Here's my unpopular opinion:

People put too much importance on music. To me, music is something you have on in the car while driving or hear while out in a bar, not something to form an identity around, unless you are a musician.

It's also the most subjective art form. I think 99% of people could agree that The Godfather is a better movie than something like White Chicks, but good luck getting people to agree on any sort of "best" bands.

I think that's because music is actually the easiest to judge objectively, and the truly awful artists don't get anywhere. If a musician / singer can't play any chords reliably or hit a note, he either fails, or gets digitally altered to fit the pretty rigidly defined norm which has been formalized over centuries of musical practice. If an actor "cannot act", it often isn't a real obstacle.

So in the end the mainstream music industry is full of competent content, and any argument is over style rather than substance (similar to having an argument that Godfather is trash because it is boringly literal and conventional, while Space Odyssey is good because it is experimental - while clearly both movies are technically excellent)

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

digitally re-creating the likeness of irl people who played a role in an older movie or tv-series, whether it is their youthful appearance that is recreated, or the actual person has died, is both extremely off-putting, and it is a sign that people are way too strongly invested in the canon and continuity of fictional universes, that something like Carrie Fisher's digital Star Wars re-apperance isn't considered some kind of massively inappropriate digital necromancy but is an acceptable homage is weird.

:agreed:

i mainly agree that 90-00s was a lousy time if you didn't care for the kind of music that was on the top 10, one of the more common complaints from my music buff friends was that by the time you found something you liked the band had either broken up over differences of direction (too little success) or changed their sound to fit in with what was selling; i personally just listened to a lot of classic rock/other classics at the time even if insecure millennials like to claim that dadrock or whatever was just the same poo poo-tier pop of the 60-80s that we have now - it's not

in retrospect tho if you spent an afternoon online i am willing to bet you'd find smaller groups from the era to your taste, my music buff friends back then had to work much harder and they still managed

System Metternich posted:

Yeah, that's objectively wrong. People did care a lot about music even back then.

given the dearth of entertainment ages back it's unsurprising that a dude who was wicked good at spoken poetry or storytelling was similarly in demand - people with important titles used to toss foxes to kill time for heaven's sake.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I shall now say that Tool and Nine Inch Nails are good and from that time period. Please proceed to tell me they are poo poo and I'm a dumb baby for liking them. :banjo:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A Clockwork Orange is a completely boring and lovely movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Pick posted:

A Clockwork Orange is a completely boring and lovely movie.

Roger Ebert's original review is a classic.
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/a-clockwork-orange-1972