Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

On the one hand, don't cook a new recipe for guests. On the other hand, cooking a porchetta for myself is ridiculous. How likely am I to screw this up? I am able to roast a chicken without incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sous vide will dry things out just fine, if the temp is too high. I wouldn't think just another 5° would do it, but then I'm doubtful it does much more for rendering fat either.

No problems on dryness. I have nothing to compare it against though. It was very very tender. I should have left it tied while slicing it, so the first one sort of ended up smashed and shredded a bit with a couple of ok looking slices. The second one cut a lot better. The pan sauce from the bag drippings is insanely good.

Subjunctive posted:

On the one hand, don't cook a new recipe for guests. On the other hand, cooking a porchetta for myself is ridiculous. How likely am I to screw this up? I am able to roast a chicken without incident.

I had never cooked it myself, but I did the Turchetta version for Thanksiving so I had some experience with the process. I don't cook for groups that often so I don't exactly get chances to practice big things like this. I've yet to have a failed attempt at any new meal, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
The actual cooking is pretty simple. The difficulty with anything like the porchetta or turchetta is the front-end assembly. I think the porchetta is significantly easier though, since you're really just rolling and tying the belly. With the turchetta you have to worry about the skin and so on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, I'm gonna go for it. Am I likely to risk any weird flavour shifts if I leave it rolled in the fridge for a couple of days?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

24 or 48 hours @ 136 for a 3lb boneless chuck roast? I'm looking for a steak like texture vs roast. I made a black garlic kalbi marinade I'm gunna bag it with.

Never done a cook longer than 8 hours. Thankfully this cut is cheep as gently caress if I screw it up.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

OK, I'm gonna go for it. Am I likely to risk any weird flavour shifts if I leave it rolled in the fridge for a couple of days?

yeah, I was being a little flippant saying to never make something new for guests. if you're comfortable sous videing and roasting you should be fine.

i guess the key is to listen to people who've tried the recipe so you don't get a kenji salt-surprise or something similar.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

large hands posted:

yeah, I was being a little flippant saying to never make something new for guests. if you're comfortable sous videing and roasting you should be fine.

i guess the key is to listen to people who've tried the recipe so you don't get a kenji salt-surprise or something similar.

My next step is to search the thread for trip reports, indeed.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

The recipe calls for leaving it rolled in the bag, uncooked, at least overnight and up to a few days. I did 24 hours in the bag between prep and going into the water and it came out great.

It's actually a pretty simple recipe. The only part with any technical skill I thought was the deep frying at the end, where, assuming you don't own a self-regulating deep fryer, you're going to be trying to maintain the temperature of a vat of hot oil with a thermometer and a knob. That said, considering it's fully cooked and isn't breaded, it felt more forgiving to fry than most things. Definitely take the recipe's advice of covering the pot for the first couple of minutes of frying, though. I dried mine off extensively before putting it in the oil and it still spat like crazy at the start.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Norns posted:

24 or 48 hours @ 136 for a 3lb boneless chuck roast? I'm looking for a steak like texture vs roast. I made a black garlic kalbi marinade I'm gunna bag it with.

Never done a cook longer than 8 hours. Thankfully this cut is cheep as gently caress if I screw it up.

I think you're looking at something like 24 or 36 hours for the texture you're shooting for.

Or, do this one at 24 and the next at 48 and see which you like best.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I've cooked new recipes for guests many times, it always worked out. Maybe not perfect all the time but good enough. I'd just go for it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Norns posted:

24 hours, in my experience, gets you a bit of steak-like chew while still being tender. Haven't tried it with a marinade, though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sir Kodiak posted:

The recipe calls for leaving it rolled in the bag, uncooked, at least overnight and up to a few days. I did 24 hours in the bag between prep and going into the water and it came out great.

It's actually a pretty simple recipe. The only part with any technical skill I thought was the deep frying at the end, where, assuming you don't own a self-regulating deep fryer, you're going to be trying to maintain the temperature of a vat of hot oil with a thermometer and a knob. That said, considering it's fully cooked and isn't breaded, it felt more forgiving to fry than most things. Definitely take the recipe's advice of covering the pot for the first couple of minutes of frying, though. I dried mine off extensively before putting it in the oil and it still spat like crazy at the start.

Would there be any benefit to leaving it uncovered in the fridge for a couple days to help the exterior dry out like you would with a roast chicken/turkey, and then bagging it, or does the deep fry after the puddle obviate that step?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

The Midniter posted:

Would there be any benefit to leaving it uncovered in the fridge for a couple days to help the exterior dry out like you would with a roast chicken/turkey, and then bagging it, or does the deep fry after the puddle obviate that step?

Not really. The bag is going to be full of juice after the cook no matter what, so a pre-dry isn't going to help, and the frying is going to fry it just fine -- the pre-fry surface drying is a safety step, because while the hot oil will happily remove that water for you, it won't do it in an orderly fashion.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Thanks for the time suggestions folks! I'll report back tomorrow on how it turns out.

Gunna go with 3lb chuck roast @136 for 24 hours with marinade in bag and see what I get.

I want to thin slice it for some ramyun more than anything.

Is it worth tying off the roast before I bag it?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Test Pattern posted:

Not really. The bag is going to be full of juice after the cook no matter what, so a pre-dry isn't going to help, and the frying is going to fry it just fine -- the pre-fry surface drying is a safety step, because while the hot oil will happily remove that water for you, it won't do it in an orderly fashion.

Plus the bag juices make the awesome pan sauce. And dry the poo poo out of that thing after taking it out. I tried to and the first two went ok, but the third had a few big sputters.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Steve Yun posted:

Go download the Sous Vide Dash app, plugin the meat and numbers info and see for yourself

Is this an Android app? I can't find it unless it has a different name.

I just ordered this one from Amazon so I want to get things ready ahead.

Also what's the best site for recipes?

Anyone have any "appetizer/snack" type thing I can make in under 24 hours? It's supposed to arrive Friday and I have a NYE party to attend this weekend.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Sextro posted:

Maybe its because I never had an app so I didn't keep as close watch on my temps, but is it normal for (in an 8 qt stainless stockpot as a vessel) the temperature to swing +/-1.5ish degrees from your set temp? Just watching it try to settle at 167 it'll slowly inch up to 166.4 before jumping to 168.5 then as it steadily drops back towards 167 it'll jump again this time down to as low as 165.5. Is that just too small of a vessel to hold a temperature steady? This is with nothing in it, just preheating the water.

Is it an Anova? Is your temp probe dirty?

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
Can anyone suggest a good recipe for some kind of burrito meat? I thought something like chicken tinga would lend itself well to vizzling, but I can't find anything that looks decent. Kit I have to hand is Anova precision, Cambro (with cling film lid based on this thread's advice) and ziploc bags.

It's for late night eating at a New Year party, so I'd like to do most of the actual cooking earlier that day/day before if possible. Would it be fine to refrigerate then bring back up to temp in the puddle on the night?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Do chicken breast with something like green chilies and green enchilada sauce at 144 for 2 hours. Shred it by just applying pressure to the chicken while still sealed in the bag. Voila, super tender chicken guisada.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

deimos posted:

Is it an Anova? Is your temp probe dirty?

Yeah it's an ANOVA. Everything looks clean but the problem resolved itself when I removed my makeshift foil lid?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

lifts cats over head posted:

I have some again gift cards and I'm looking to get into the sous vide game. Will something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXC28T6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_T7TyybVF2ZETM
serve as both a starting option and something I won't get frustrated with down the road if I really get into using it?

I've had the first gen model of this brand for about a year now and am quite happy with it. I'd have bought an Anova myself if given the option, but this was a gift and it's ended up working out great. I've used it 1-2 weekly since getting it with awesome results.

The buttons on my first gen suck rear end but it works perfectly fine as a SV once you get it turned on. For the most part it's great, though I don't like how high of a water level it seems to require compared to other models (the new gen that you linked seems to fix this judging by the photo).

It will work fine if you choose to get it, but as was already stated if there is an equivalent Anova for $99 then you may be better off with that one. If the Gourmia is the best deal around then you'll do fine with it.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Has anyone had any issues with corners of bags getting into their anovas and hitting the blade? I just got a vacuum sealer for xmas and on the first steak i'm doing my bag is hilariously oversized. Watching it float around, it got me worried enough to put something in the tub (a small wire stand for roasts) to separate the bag from the anova. Overly cautious, or can that actually cause some damage?

Teeter posted:

It will work fine if you choose to get it, but as was already stated if there is an equivalent Anova for $99 then you may be better off with that one. If the Gourmia is the best deal around then you'll do fine with it.

Its also worth noting, if you have a citi credit card you can do a price rewind for it. I bought my anova 800w bluetooth only in october for 150. I registered it with the citi price rewind, and it tracked it down to 99 bucks over black friday and i'm receiving a 50 dollar credit to my statement for the difference. It saved me from my stupidity of not thinking it'd hit low black friday prices.

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 29, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Crunkjuice posted:

Has anyone had any issues with corners of bags getting into their anovas and hitting the blade? I just got a vacuum sealer for xmas and on the first steak i'm doing my bag is hilariously oversized. Watching it float around, it got me worried enough to put something in the tub (a small wire stand for roasts) to separate the bag from the anova. Overly cautious, or can that actually cause some damage?

I don't know about damage but it can block the circulator, meaning temperature gradients. I solved it from a goon recommendation here, an Ikea pot lid holder that can accordion to whatever size and pinch the bag to it. Works great.

Really anything that keeps the food submerged and the bag out of the vents is fine, even pinching it in the lid or whatever, so your thing is fine

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 30, 2016

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Mikey Purp posted:

Do chicken breast with something like green chilies and green enchilada sauce at 144 for 2 hours. Shred it by just applying pressure to the chicken while still sealed in the bag. Voila, super tender chicken guisada.

That sounds great, thanks! Apparently tomatillos can't be found in provincial England, so I've had to go with a red enchilada sauce, but other than that I'll stick with your recommendation.

We'll have one vegetarian with us, so I was thinking of doing something along the lines of the Kenji SV halibut but with a chilli rub for his burrito 'meat'.
Having never eaten a fish burrito (:pervert:) much less made one before, is that a sensible choice of fish? Also, if I vizzle ahead of time, then sear before serving will that be safe/ enough to heat it through?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

Bugger, I never would have thought of shredding it that way when doing quesadilla fixings. I always took it out of the bag, went at it with two forks and made a hot mess. :doh:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 30, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Randyslawterhouse posted:

That sounds great, thanks! Apparently tomatillos can't be found in provincial England, so I've had to go with a red enchilada sauce, but other than that I'll stick with your recommendation.

We'll have one vegetarian with us, so I was thinking of doing something along the lines of the Kenji SV halibut but with a chilli rub for his burrito 'meat'.
Having never eaten a fish burrito (:pervert:) much less made one before, is that a sensible choice of fish? Also, if I vizzle ahead of time, then sear before serving will that be safe/ enough to heat it through?

But someone who eats fish isn't a vegetarian...?

I'd just go with tilapia. Super cheap and inoffensive. You're not going to taste a whitefish in a burrito anyway, you're going to taste everything else.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I apologize for no pictures, but my chuck roast turned out incredibly delicious.

I ended up doing 3.5lb boneless chuck roast @136 for 24 hours. I made a black garlic marinade for it that I had in the bag with the roast. After 24 hours I dried it and seared the bad boy off in screaming hot peanut oil.

Cut off half inch slices last night and we were able to cut them with a fork.

I think I'm really getting into making these cheep cuts taste amazing with the vizzle.

I'll try 48 hours next and see what texture I prefer. But this was great.

Next long cook might have to be short ribs...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I did a 3lb 136F/20hr blade roast with garlic and thyme, and it turned out super well. I was making it to portion for my girlfriend for meals during the week, but we ate about a quarter of it right off the cutting board. Next time I might break it down myself and use some transglutimate, since my success trussing the porchetta has made me cocky.

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004
Made the chef steps creme brulee in the wide mouth 1/2 pint mason jars and it was the best I have ever made. The texture was more silky and pudding like than the times I have made it in the conventional oven I will definitely be making this again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how do people like to do boneless ham joints? not going to rebag since they're already sealed. serious eats tells me they're already cooked which might be true but what i pull out of the bag looks like nothing that i've cooked so idk

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Norns posted:

I apologize for no pictures, but my chuck roast turned out incredibly delicious.

I ended up doing 3.5lb boneless chuck roast @136 for 24 hours. I made a black garlic marinade for it that I had in the bag with the roast. After 24 hours I dried it and seared the bad boy off in screaming hot peanut oil.

Cut off half inch slices last night and we were able to cut them with a fork.

I think I'm really getting into making these cheep cuts taste amazing with the vizzle.

I'll try 48 hours next and see what texture I prefer. But this was great.

Next long cook might have to be short ribs...

I want to try a long cook chuck roast this weekend as well. Any advice you can offer on the searing part, technique/tools wise? I've never tried to sear anything as large as a roast. Do you use a dutch oven or skillet or what?

I bet while it's in the puddler tonight I can throw in a flatiron along side for dinner tonight. I looooove SV flatiron, cheap and delicious :3:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mine fit in my cast iron skillet, so I just rotated it in about 2 min increments to get it crusted. Kenji recommends pre-searing, not quite sure why. I post-seared as well, didn't end up with too much grey ring.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

how do people like to do boneless ham joints? not going to rebag since they're already sealed. serious eats tells me they're already cooked which might be true but what i pull out of the bag looks like nothing that i've cooked so idk

Pretty much by definition hams are typically cooked. Cooking them further to achieve temp or taste is up to you of course. The last couple hams don't even say the instructions are "cooking" but rather "warming" instructions.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I want to try a long cook chuck roast this weekend as well. Any advice you can offer on the searing part, technique/tools wise? I've never tried to sear anything as large as a roast. Do you use a dutch oven or skillet or what?

I bet while it's in the puddler tonight I can throw in a flatiron along side for dinner tonight. I looooove SV flatiron, cheap and delicious :3:

I used my cast iron with a GENEROUS amount of peanut oil. Took under a minute per side to get the crust I wanted.

My roast was 2 inches thick. I had enough oil in the pan that I didn't need to bother searing off the ends or anything.

I don't own a torch so I generally finish with a cast iron or a deep deep fryer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'll give it a college try tonight/tomorrow then, thanks.

Getting a good strong sear without gray banding keeps eluding me but I'll get a perfect steak one of these days :bahgawd:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Warming a ham in a bag sous vide is great. I did a bone in ham for three hours at 60C, then I de-bagged it, glazed it, and threw it on a hot grill to crisp the outside.

Worked beautifully. My in laws (whose oven was broken, thus the grill) were amazed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CrazyLittle posted:

Pretty much by definition hams are typically cooked. Cooking them further to achieve temp or taste is up to you of course. The last couple hams don't even say the instructions are "cooking" but rather "warming" instructions.

only reason i ask is because i'm in the UK and they're definitely cooking instructions not warming instructions

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Jose posted:

only reason i ask is because i'm in the UK and they're definitely cooking instructions not warming instructions

Is it ham or gammon? As far as I understand (I'm in the UK too) ham is cooked and gammon is the name for raw 'ham'.

For reference: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-cook-and-prepare-gammon-and-ham

The two look pretty different in my experience and should be easy to tell apart. Ham is opaque and light pink (looks like ham!)

whereas gammon is more translucent, a bit like bacon.

Randyslawterhouse fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 31, 2016

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Got some omaha steaks for xmas from a cousin. Some of them are bacon wrapped fillets. I haven't read much on how bacon does in sous vide. Should i just toss these in the oven, or would sous vide be a viable and just try to finish the bacon as best i can on a cast iron skillet? Would there be a temp requirement difference for the bacon, or would sous vide at 125 work then sear it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bacon does fine with sous vide, but wants hotter water (145F-ish) than you should let near your steak. That said, I think time at a beef temp would be at worst harmless for the bacon, and you could then crisp it on the skillet.