Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hey everyone it's the last year we get to put PoI in our top ten lists so dont forget to submit a list in the top ten poll thread!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800289

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I had never seen this show cause it looked like the stuff my parents would watch - in particular, it was always on when I visited their house, though I later found out they stopped watching in season 2 once the mythology got too weird for them.

But then I watched westworld season 1 and I got interested in what Nolan had done before, not counting movies.

I watched all 103 episodes of this show over about 3 weeks using a chrome extension to speed netflix streaming up to 1.6-2x.

It is among the best network shows I have ever seen.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Did you really nightcore a television show

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That is cyberpunk as heck, I like it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

flatluigi posted:

Did you really nightcore a television show

after looking up what nightcore meant, yes, yes I did. I didn't skip anything, I just got through it a whole lot faster.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I can't imagine watching the opening of "The Devil's Share" at 2x speed.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

It's not the worst way I've ever heard to watch PoI, but only because those tumblr people who only watch scenes with Root or Shaw in them exist.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's really something

Well I'm glad you still enjoyed it???

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You watched Fusco Face at 2x? You missed it. You missed it all man :( some things need to be watched real time

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
You have to at least watch this at normal speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD8qvpMw8Vw

(I just wanted an excuse to rewatch it)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You can tell youtube to play that at 2x speed if you want to get the full ketchup experience

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

flatluigi posted:

You can tell youtube to play that at 2x speed if you want to get the full ketchup experience

I was hoping YouTube didn't fix the pitch so it would be Alvin and the Chipmunks singing "Hurt"

This at 2x speed is "good" too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4nh0ElrIng

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 26, 2016

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6iN6VTL7v8

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

flatluigi posted:

After checking this I have t say that yes, ketchup should rewatch the whole show.

Same as him, started watching this show after Westworld started, because I heard it also explored some interesting AI ideas.

I ended up being a bit disappointed that it never went full serial, having random number episodes all over it. But the action sequences and the characters were always fun to watch. So I can't be too angry.

Good show, I'd recommend it, after making a list of episodes you can skip if you want a shorter experience.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Tendronai posted:

You have to at least watch this at normal speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD8qvpMw8Vw

(I just wanted an excuse to rewatch it)

Thanks for this, on the first watch I missed Bear being a good boy (again)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The full series is about 75 hours long, I just watched it in about 40-45 hours. I totally get there are big scenes and important episodes and I slowed down to 1.4-1.6 for those, in particular near seasons' ends and beginnings. Once you see the same characters sped up for a few hours, the show keeps the same rhythm as it would at regular speed.

I certainly don't have the depth of knowledge that someone who watched it week by week over 5 years would have, but I got enough 'holy poo poo that's genius' moments out of it to be satisfied, and I didn't want the series to end. I'm glad I watched it sped up, first time I've ever done a show like that, but I just wanted to know what happened next.

I don't think I'll end up watching it again, because despite how brilliant the story is, there is a lot of filler there. Now that all 75 hours exist, I bet someone could create a ~20-25 hour version of the show that includes all of the great characterization and neat story twists I enjoyed so much but with fewer fight scenes that Shaw/Reese automagically win, fewer numbers of the week, and higher fusco/bear per episode ratio, and it would be incredible.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the show, and I'm even more excited for the future of Westworld, which, by the way, I have watched 3 times through thus far at regular speed.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I don't understand why you would do this. What's the point? Yeah, it goes faster but...? Are you really that crunched for time? Are you gonna die and need to get through shows as fast as you can?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KilGrey posted:

I don't understand why you would do this. What's the point? Yeah, it goes faster but...? Are you really that crunched for time? Are you gonna die and need to get through shows as fast as you can?

Eh, some people watch entire series while doing other things, missing half the content, then complain about plot holes. Some people watch it fast but actually pay attention. I watch everything in a sound isolated darkroom that hermetically seals and doesn't open until I've watched 12 back-to-back episodes bank-vault style. One time I accidentally started a 6 episode miniseries and was stuck in there for days until i found another series that complimented it thematically to make the full 12.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

monster on a stick posted:

I was hoping YouTube didn't fix the pitch so it would be Alvin and the Chipmunks singing "Hurt"

This at 2x speed is "good" too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4nh0ElrIng

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pitch-shifter-html5-video/mpmkclglcbkjchakihfpblainfncennj

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

bring back old gbs posted:

Eh, some people watch entire series while doing other things, missing half the content, then complain about plot holes. Some people watch it fast but actually pay attention. I watch everything in a sound isolated darkroom that hermetically seals and doesn't open until I've watched 12 back-to-back episodes bank-vault style. One time I accidentally started a 6 episode miniseries and was stuck in there for days until i found another series that complimented it thematically to make the full 12.
I distinctly remember people saying they had no idea Matt Murdock was Daredevil after watching all of S1.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sober posted:

I distinctly remember people saying they had no idea Matt Murdock was Daredevil after watching all of S1.

I'm not sure that "watching" could possibly be the right word for whatever those people were doing.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

KilGrey posted:

Ketchup is an advanced AI running simulations trying to save his assets from imminent death. In desperation it has started searching through human media for any ideas that may assist in this procedure, but needs to accelerate the process to have any hope of implementing a solution.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If he got some form of satisfaction from the show (and he definitely seemed to), I don't see what the big deal is. So what if some things are worse sped up? Some things are better. If YouTube has taught me anything, it's that some really dull songs actually sound amazing when played at 1.25 or 1.5x speed. Some even work at 2x.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He would have missed a lot of the details and characterisations while demolishing the intended timing and framing, losing the nuance and the subtleties of the acting. No one is saying he didn't get enjoyment out of it but he likely would have gotten a lot more had it been watched normally. It would be like speeding around a country hitting all the landmarks but never actually stopping to look at them or the journey in between.

Changing music's play speed is different. It isn't tied to a fixed frame of reference or timing like video is. If you change the speed a piece of music and played it to someone who hasn't heard it before they likely wouldn't know the difference if they don't have obvious markers like lyrics. Doing the same to video the majority of the time it would be noticed immediately as there are multiple references we use to determine how something should move and at what speed.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Don't make this dude regret watching this extremely good show by being mad at how he watched it.

Sober posted:

Quite literally the most baffling thing I've ever read.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's less a question of being upset but more being baffled that enough people have that specific bizarre use case that there's an entire browser extension built to do it

Like, I can't even imagine watching an entire show on literal fast forward. Doesn't it fundamentally change the tension and the plotting of the show? It just feels like it'd suck out a lot of what makes this and other shows good.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
all I wanna know is did they fix the chipmunk voice thing, or what? Doesn't everything just sound weird?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

bring back old gbs posted:

all I wanna know is did they fix the chipmunk voice thing, or what? Doesn't everything just sound weird?

That's just how Finch sounds, no FF app needed.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

KilGrey posted:

There certainly are way more shows I want to watch than I have time for - full time software engineering job, side projects, some semblance of a social life, gym time, reading, video games, etc etc.

I started doing it (to reiterate, PoI was the first show I'd ever done this for) because while I'd heard the show was good, I didn't expect to like it, and to be fair, season 1 is rough. And then I got used to the speed and enjoyed the show waaaaaay more than I thought I would. I didn't do other things while watching, I just focused on the show.

Someone linked the plugin earlier, I didn't notice any pitch issues with the voices.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 31, 2016

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Sober posted:

loving what? Seriously? Can you link to an example of this? That's both hilarious and really sad. I don't think the Breaking Bad threads ever even got that bad.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Having just watched this for the first time, I'd kill for a Director's Cut that completely excises all of the lovely cop drama and toxic masculinity and magic bullet gunfights. It's frustrating because there's a lot of cool stuff buried in the first four seasons. The intro to the fifth season is so good I've just been telling people to just watch that season and then find an episode guide if they want more. Life's too short to watch a thousand replays of rejected Wire storylines and "Reese, he's not the victim, he's the perpetrator!!!!!"

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I mean I'm not gonna fault you for not liking the number of the week episodes. But I have no idea where that toxic masculinity comment is coming from. I always felt PoI was one of the least problematic shows on that front.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I can't believe no one has already sorted the episodes into relevant and irrelevant (har har) ones.

Season 1 could benefit from being a bit shorter. Obviously you'd need all the ones with Elias, and HR, and the one with Zoe, and the ones with the FBI and the flashbacks and...well, maybe there's an episode or 2 you could take away.

But seasons 3 and 4 really could be shortened. There was this sense of urgency in the main plot that was just stopped so they could deal with some random perp.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I was honestly going to do a rewatch soon, and when i do I'll make a list of relevant episodes and irrelevant episodes. Personally, i love the cast so much i can enjoy episodes because prettyuch every one on the cast has such great chemistry. Finch and Reese, root and finch, Shaw and bear, Fusco and glasses, fusco and coo-coo puffs, Leon and Bear. The characters redeem the bad episodes for me.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Mr. Nemo posted:

I can't believe no one has already sorted the episodes into relevant and irrelevant (har har) ones.

Season 1 could benefit from being a bit shorter. Obviously you'd need all the ones with Elias, and HR, and the one with Zoe, and the ones with the FBI and the flashbacks and...well, maybe there's an episode or 2 you could take away.

But seasons 3 and 4 really could be shortened. There was this sense of urgency in the main plot that was just stopped so they could deal with some random perp.

It kept it consistent with the show's main premise is that no one is irrelevant and that every life they save is important.

Leon more so than others obviously.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

If they would ever revive the show, I would demand Leon play a pivotal role from then on.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

If they would ever revive the show, I would demand Leon play a pivotal role from then on.

...I suddenly want a spinoff where the Machine, instead of giving Leon numbers, just puts him in wacky situations over and over as a means of helping people.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

V-Men posted:

It kept it consistent with the show's main premise is that no one is irrelevant and that every life they save is important.

Leon more so than others obviously.

Of course Leon is a very relevant character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG1cHlPDlOE

And it's a shame he was only there for one season

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theflyingexecutive posted:

toxic masculinity

???!

The problem with exercising the number of the week episodes is that every episode has a nugget of relevant information tied to the context of that episode. That was the method that Nolan used to keep the arcs going between the big episodes. You could have a super cut, but jumping between big episodes would be pretty jarring.

docbeard posted:

...I suddenly want a spinoff where the Machine, instead of giving Leon numbers, just puts him in wacky situations over and over as a means of helping people.

Leon gets setup every week so that the local number's team can rescue him after he fixes the problem and he never understands why this keeps happening so he goes along with it Thinking he is awesome. He would get a bunch of money running through every scam in the world but would lose his shirt by the end, preferably a little shredded by the end of the end of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The best was when Leon actually figured out that anytime his life was in danger the team would come in and save him so he started just doing whatever because he knew he'd get saved.

• Locked thread