Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm not yet sick of zombie media. They could collectively stand to be more funny though. That would be an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

It's completely spot-on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

If you want to make a more widely applicable point, then maybe give some examples from 1990-1995 an 2002-2007 and say why you think those are better than the music of '96-'01?

Let's look at it this way: people can argue as much as they want about who the best recording artists of the 1990s were, but at the end of the day, the most popular and most successful were Garth Brooks and Céline Dion.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Tucker and Dale Vs Evil is the greatest slasher film of the past decade.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
By the way, do people still make "I'M ONLY 13 AND I HATE NEGRO MUSIC RAP AND JUSTIN BIEBER - I ONLY LIKE REAL ROCK MUSIC LIKE LIMP BIZKIT!" comments on YouTube videos? It's just that I've had YouTube comments switched off for so long I can't remember the last time I saw one.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

pretty damning remembering his review of Spawn, he really seemed like a guy who actually tried to enjoy movies on some level

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I just read that Spawn review and he compares it to Blade Runner.

Wow. Just wow.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Both involve running and blades.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Field Mousepad posted:

I just read that Spawn review and he compares it to Blade Runner.

Wow. Just wow.

Ebert posted:

They've gathered an expert creative team, and what they put on the screen are vivid, bizarre, intense images--including visions of hell that are worthy of Hieronymous Bosch.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

By the way, do people still make "I'M ONLY 13 AND I HATE NEGRO MUSIC RAP AND JUSTIN BIEBER - I ONLY LIKE REAL ROCK MUSIC LIKE LIMP BIZKIT!" comments on YouTube videos? It's just that I've had YouTube comments switched off for so long I can't remember the last time I saw one.

That takes me back to the MySpace days.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

That reminds me, I believe it was in the previous thread, but someone said they like to tell people "I only listen to country, rap, and top 40" and was continually surprised by how suddenly and genuinely pissy people would get.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The ones I always enjoyed (?) were the "You say X, I say Y" ones, where X is the flavour of the month and Y is some bottom-feeding blooz rawk band from the 1970s the commenter discovered via Guitar Hero.

I remember really enjoying one where a guy clearly decided to have some sport and started off on that whole "modern music sucks" spiel, and when he got some classic rock teenagers agreeing with him, he told them it had all been poo poo since Charlie Parker died and "rock neanderthals who don't know the first thing about music ruined everything" and the people he'd had on side got all affronted.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Godfather 3 was not as bad as 2.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm glad that the movie theater experience is dying. It only gets worst and worst. Last night I went and saw silence at an arclight and I feel like there was a time where that place was an actual high end experience. Now it just feels like an AMC with booze and latte's. also gently caress those "luxury" theaters where you sit in the big chair and have food. You're just paying to sit in a fake living room. Theaters are bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought theaters were experiencing a resurgence.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Sort of. They're also sort of on life support. The problem is that seeing something on a big screen with fancy surround sound is something that people can have in their living rooms now. You obviously can't set up an actual movie theater but you can do good enough for like $2,000. Watch whatever you want whenever you want, have your friends over, watch you favorite movie 500 times, don't have to go anywhere or deal with the public...hell yeah! In the long run it's also cheaper as theaters have gotten belligerently expensive about everything. Home theaters are only going to get cheaper, too, especially thanks to the fact that you can order a movie for like $2 on the internet now. Don't even need to head to the store to buy a DVD!

So what theaters have been doing is focusing on exclusive new release showings and special stuff you can't properly do at home. You know, 3D movies and XD or 4D movies or whatever the gently caress they're doing now. They've been doing what they can to keep ahead of the home technology curve so they're not completely dying but once again that stuff as technology develops is going to end up in living rooms too.

But seriously I have to agree; gently caress theaters. There's more drat previews every year and the last time I went so see a movie I got told to "make sure I have my popcorn and soda!" four times before the movie started. Getting popcorn and soda would have cost $10. No thanks. Movies I actually might want to watch also pretty rarely come out these days so I spend my time and money on other things. If I actually go to a theater it's to watch something in 3D anyway. I can watch 2D movies on my computer box at home in "good enough" quality.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

veni veni veni posted:

The big blockbusters seem to do pretty well but people don't seem to go to the theaters frequently anymore, and why would you considering I can buy the steaming version on Amazon watch it on a better screen with a better sound system and not have people looking at their cell phones or talking the whole time.

http://www.businessinsider.com/movie-theater-attendance-is-declining-as-cord-cutting-becomes-more-popular-2016-9

https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-hits-record-but-frequent-moviegoers-down-1201751770/amp/?client=safari

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Applying virtue as an attribute of people based on the things they like is perfectly fine, and should be commended.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I only see a lot of movies in theaters because I get dragged to them and because I'm impatient. If every movie was on demand day 1 I'd never set foot in a theater again.

They should start doing big movies like PPV boxing events. Charge like $50 to see Rogue One at home opening night. Just get like 5 friends to chip in $10 and no one has to drive to some dirty theater to see it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Applying virtue as an attribute of people based on the things they like is perfectly fine, and should be commended.

I feel like this is kind of stupid. Liking something isn't a virtuous act so it's a flawed premise.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

veni veni veni posted:

I only see a lot of movies in theaters because I get dragged to them and because I'm impatient. If every movie was on demand day 1 I'd never set foot in a theater again.

They should start doing big movies like PPV boxing events. Charge like $50 to see Rogue One at home opening night. Just get like 5 friends to chip in $10 and no one has to drive to some dirty theater to see it.

I've been saying for a while that I would pay 100 bucks easily to see the latest movie on my own tv day one.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Rob posted:

I've been saying for a while that I would pay 100 bucks easily to see the latest movie on my own tv day one.

Why, though?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

100 seems steep by virtue of how many people you'd need to get together to make it economical (poo poo, 10 people in a living room would probably be worse than a theater) but if they ever did that it would probably need to be like a pay per view sporting event. Otherwise, if you could pay 10 dollars or whatever and a bunch of people could watch it, cutting massively into their profits.

Edit: oh he might mean he'd pay 100 to watch it himself which has me just as confused as you.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why, though?

Because then I wouldn't have to pay a poo poo load to sit in an uncomfortable seat where they don't turn the lights all the way down, and the sound is either blisteringly loud or too quiet. I also wouldn't have to miss a big dramatic line because some rear end in a top hat thought there quip was so hilarious they had to shout it out for everyone to hear.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I believe the NFL should have a zero-tolerance policy for domestic abuse and rape. Players should have their contracts terminated and gently caress off to find a job in some lovely arena football league. I have a moral issue with supporting a team that employs human garbage. This goes for the NBA and all other major American sports leagues.

This is a very controversial opinion with almost all sports fans, as I've figured out.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

veni veni veni posted:

100 seems steep by virtue of how many people you'd need to get together to make it economical (poo poo, 10 people in a living room would probably be worse than a theater) but if they ever did that it would probably need to be like a pay per view sporting event. Otherwise, if you could pay 10 dollars or whatever and a bunch of people could watch it, cutting massively into their profits.

I mean obviously I was being hyperbolic but I'd honestly spend a decent amount of money just for the ability to watch something right away.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Rob posted:

Because then I wouldn't have to pay a poo poo load to sit in an uncomfortable seat where they don't turn the lights all the way down, and the sound is either blisteringly loud or too quiet. I also wouldn't have to miss a big dramatic line because some rear end in a top hat thought there quip was so hilarious they had to shout it out for everyone to hear.

No I meant why do you care about seeing a movie day one?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is that really that hard to understand?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

No I meant why do you care about seeing a movie day one?

Because I love films and sometimes there is a movie I would love to see the day it was coming out because i admire that film makers work?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Edit: oh he might mean he'd pay 100 to watch it himself which has me just as confused as you.

Yeah but then everybody could just record it with their VCRs/DVDrs/TiVOs/computers very very easily with good quality. Piracy would be rampant! There would be no profits for the movie industry and it would implode, destroying BILLIONS of jobs with it!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like going to movies :kiddo:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Rob posted:

Because I love films and sometimes there is a movie I would love to see the day it was coming out because i admire that film makers work?

You can still admire it when it's available for home viewing cheaply or for free.

e: "Vocal nerds spoil (in the sense of revealing any and all relevant plot points) everything" would've been a good argument, now I think about it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can still admire it when it's available for home viewing cheaply or for free.

But if I am a fan and admirer of a certain film makers work why wouldn't I want to give them the full attention to their art at an earlier time than waiting 3 to 6 months. If I want to watch something I want to watch something, and if they make it available to me at a higher price than that is up to me to figure out if it's worth my money or not. The point is that I would like to have it available earlier so I can make that decision earlier.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

oldpainless posted:

So did I until they started shoving 3D garbage down everyone's throats.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Collateral Damage posted:

I wasn't aware you were forced to see 3D movies over the regular version

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

This is a bonus, tbh. Forces theaters to use more screens, and the 2D showings are usually less crowded, especially on opening nights. It's really a blessing if you like first showings like I do.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

I wasn't aware you were forced to see 3D movies over the regular version
At least around here they some times don't show non-3D versions at all, or they only show them in tiny, lovely theatres. All the flagship theatres are 3D only.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

At least around here they some times don't show non-3D versions at all, or they only show them in tiny, lovely theatres. All the flagship theatres are 3D only.

That's super weird. I've never had this issue. There will probably be fewer showings, but every single 3D movie will have a 2D showing as well.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

That's super weird. I've never had this issue. There will probably be fewer showings, but every single 3D movie will have a 2D showing as well.
The problem is there's only one major movie theatre company here (Sweden) nowadays. The only major competitor went belly up a few years ago. The company that owns the theatres is also the country's largest movie distributor, which is its own can of worms. And obviously they can charge a premium for 3D shows, so they prefer not to give you the option.

There are non-3D showings but they're almost always in the smaller theatres which have older sound systems and smaller screens, or they'll be showing at awkward times like in the middle of the day on weekdays.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oldpainless posted:

i disagree you like going to the movies.