Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Iglocska posted:

If that's the case, what took them 2 days?...

Chris decided to design another bomber jacke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Iglocska posted:

Chris may have included a weekend in that 2 days estimate.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943682&viewfull=1#post4943682

Ben Parry posted:

I think I explained further up, but it's probably buried.
If your modifications are relative to 3.7, and their modifications start diverging at 3.8, then switching from "modded 3.7 CryEngine" to "modded 3.7 Lumberyard" is no changes, because you're at a point before theirs diverged.

Oh. He actually said this.

I thought the reasonable assumption was that they were using new Lumberyard stuff for Star Marine, and their existing code for the rest. But this, wow. I would feel like a completely immoral sociopath by telling my $140m backers that I switched engines, without detailing that the change is currently only licensing related, and almost no functionality or implementation (code) has changed.

I'm still hesitant to believe that's what actually happened.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CrazyLoon posted:

I love how goons can't even remember his actual name, just the name his old AV got remembered by and which drove him mad. :laffo:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Tippis posted:

The licensing move to LY is boring, so I choose to further harp on the 100 sextillion “kilometres”…

Assuming that it's actually insanely incompetently labelled km³, let's compare that number to some other space games.

EVE systems will happily have a radius of 100 AU (1.496×10¹⁰ km), for a volume of 1.402×10³¹ km³.
There are 7,500 systems in the game, for a total game volume of 1.052×10³⁵ km³, or 105 decillion cubic kilometres — four "illions" (i.e. 12 orders of magnitude) more than the pitiful state of SC.

E:D has the Milky Way. It contains 400 billion star systems. Each system will effectively let you fly until Microsoft forces a reboot due to system updates, but let's cap it at 400,000 Ls each (1.199×10¹¹ km) because when you arrive in a binary system with that distance between the stars, you say “gently caress it, that's too far” and jump out… unless you're going to Proxima Centauri. That would put the radius at 5.995×10¹⁰ km, and volume at 9.025×10³² km³ each, and the total game volume at 3.61×10⁴⁴ km³, or 361 tredecillion cubic kilometres — three illions more than EVE and seven more than SC (so 21 orders of magnitude more).

KSP has its farthest planet, Eeloo, at an apoapsis of 113,549, 713 km — 379 Ls (~0.76 AU) — which is practically spitting distance in space. You can travel beyond that to get a better transfer orbit, but let's use that distance anyway just to underplay the size of the Kerbol system. That radius means the system has a volume of 6.13263×10²⁴ km³ — 6 septillion cubic kilometres, or a full order of magnitude more than SC.

…in fact, just for fun.
Freelancer (post-campaign) has 45 systems, with a size varying from 80×80 km to about 200×200 — let's say 120×120 on average. There's never any real reason to exit the ecliptic, but targets and docking ports may appear in a ±4km zone from that. So that's just under 4 million km³ — almost six “illions” (actually 17 orders of magnitude) smaller than SC.

It's also 100 sextillion cubic kilometers of featureless black void with gently caress all to do inside of it.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

XK posted:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943682&viewfull=1#post4943682

Oh. He actually said this.

I thought the reasonable assumption was that they were using new Lumberyard stuff for Star Marine, and their existing code for the rest. But this, wow. I would feel like a completely immoral sociopath by telling my $140m backers that I switched engines, without detailing that the change is currently only licensing related, and almost no functionality or implementation (code) has changed.

I'm still hesitant to believe that's what actually happened.

Woaaah. Someone should let the cultists know, there are dozens of threads on reddit talking about how they've managed to port their stuff to the LY engine already and it's in.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

He's also promoted himself from Captain to Major. Not realizing that Captain is a higher rank in the Navy (than an Army Major) and that Major isn't even a Naval rank.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Before, I proposed that no person from CIG has used the name "Star Engine". Ben Parry is using that name in the Frontier forums thread, so, welp.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

This is not how you respond to someone making an offhand quip that your name reminds them of something.

Oh, and Bester did nothing wrong.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943734&viewfull=1#post4943734

Ben Parry posted:

Ah, I think I see your misunderstanding. You think SC has switched from StarEngine to Lumberyard. Actually StarEngine has switched from being a modification of CryEngine to being a modification of Lumberyard.
Can you see that because Lumberyard and CryEngine split away from one another at 3.8, if you rewound either of them to 3.7, they'd be the same as each other?
Right, so with StarEngine branching off at that shared 3.7 point, can you see that it doesn't matter which one it's a modification of?

Dude, wtf?

It looks like that is seriously what happened.

Edit: Fixed quote attribution.

XK fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 29, 2016

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Iglocska posted:

Chris explanations, redactions, refactoring of his idea: 47 hours and 13 minutes
Implementing new LJ logo = 26 minutes
Telling Ben he should go/move to the very next room to tell Chris it's done and he can publish his xmas chairman letter: 21 Minutes

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Roflan posted:

This is not how you respond to someone making an offhand quip that your name reminds them of something.

It is, however, how you open up one of the most hilarious episodes of autism and stupidity that I have ever encountered. The kind of experience that convinces you that, no matter what, loving with the community alone will make the time worthwhile.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So Parry's response to people going "How is it possible that CIG could have done an engine changeover in a couple days" is to literally just be like "Oh that? No no no, they were lying about there being any changeover at all! So it's all okay!"

lmao

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Okay, let me see if I understand this.

Lumberyard is based off of CryEngine 3.8, which is based off of CryEngine 3.7.

StarEngine is based on CryEngine 3.7.

Therefore StarEngine is Lumberyard.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Donald Trump is descended from white people.

I am descended from white people.

Therefore I am Donald Trump.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Donald Trump is descended from white people.

I am descended from white people.

Therefore I am Donald Trump.

Technically speaking, we're all fish.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In the neon-stained streets of 2190. the only value placed on a human life is a number in a spreadsheet

A squad of Stimperial Commandos relax until a new mission comes in

They go to the general vicinity to seek out their target

Hacking into the local datanet, they find a person of interest

Closer investigation shows a probable match

Enhance 78 to 105

Go left 45 and zoom

Enhance 11 to 66

Pan up 12 and zoom

Enhance and give me a hard copy

Target confirmed, they trail him to a nearby massage parlour

The target is acting erratically, never stopping in one place for more than a few seconds

The commandos have a discussion about how best to fulfill the clients request of "sending a message"

They come to an agreement that high explosive is relatively unambiguous

Landign sucsessfl commando o9

XK
Jul 9, 2001

For posterity:

gently caress rescaling these, they're in png format, and not very large data wise.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It is, however, how you open up one of the most hilarious episodes of autism and stupidity that I have ever encountered. The kind of experience that convinces you that, no matter what, loving with the community alone will make the time worthwhile.

Do you, or anyone here, have a copy of the peas agreement we drew up? I'm going to add bester to our drama thread.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Roflan posted:

Quite. He wrote some cracking novels. Shame his name was used in a poo poo sci-fi show.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacetoaster posted:

Do you, or anyone here, have a copy of the peas agreement we drew up? I'm going to add bester to our drama thread.

I might at home, I will check later.

I miss those days.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

spacetoaster posted:

Or the screenshots of Coda and his 'nukes launched' incident that prompted it? I seriously regret now counting on Goonrathi obsession to do it instead of me. :smith:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CrazyLoon posted:

Or the screenshots of Coda and his 'nukes launched' incident that prompted it? I seriously regret now counting on Goonrathi obsession to do it instead of me. :smith:

At some point I just made a Star Citizen folder on one of my hard drives and just right click save everything goons put up here.

It's at 1 gigabyte now.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943715&viewfull=1#post4943715

Ben Parry posted:

1500 posted:

You mean like you did in this thread? Yes you don't know what version SC is on, but talk about authority of aspects you have no connection with. Seems like a glass house to me.

Nope I showed you saying that upgrading is a real pain, and now you are saying its supper easy. Only thing that has changed is what CIG has done. Interesting how it was too much of a pain then, but its super easy now.
Still no. This is starting to get tedious.
Switching is easy, full-version upgrading is hard.
Switching at a point after the upgrades have diverged is extra hard.
What's been done is switching.
So it wasn't hard.

What What What?

What?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Here is a beautiful thread of salt against Derek Smart, nasty Goons, and SC haters:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5ku2ou/cigs_ben_parrys_artistic_rendering_of_starengines/

Funny how most of it is unrelated to the OP's image.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
A woman, called Cate, decides to have a plastic surgery on her... face. This decision is made on 03/07.

She takes a picture of herself, that same day, and starts photo-shopping it for a month, saving her work in a file named "SE.parp", trying to visualize how awesome her new face will look. She has no real skills nor any experience with plastic surgery and the result looks awful.

A month later, at 03/08 she has the surgery and looks quite different. From both what she looked before and what she had photo-shopped. The woman changes her name to Lucy, that very day.

"SE.parp" is still a botched photoshop of an old Lucy/Cate photo, but shows nothing of how Lucy looks, it has none of her new features. It is however an edited photo of Lucy.

Is my terrible allegory of what happened with the "switch to Lumberyard".

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

XK posted:

What What What?

What?

It's impossible to track at this point so it's best for sanity's sake to fall back on the standard CIG logic formula:

1) A thing was done
2) CIG did the thing
therefore
3) The thing was done wrong

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AbstractNapper posted:

A woman, called Cate, decides to have a plastic surgery on her... face. This decision is made on 03/07.

She takes a picture of herself, that same day, and starts photo-shopping it for a month, saving her work in a file named "SE.parp", trying to visualize how awesome her new face will look. She has no real skills nor any experience with plastic surgery and the result looks awful.

A month later, at 03/08 she has the surgery and looks quite different. From both what she looked before and what she had photo-shopped. The woman changes her name to Lucy, that very day.

"SE.parp" is still a botched photoshop of an old Lucy/Cate photo, but shows nothing of how Lucy looks, it has none of her new features. It is however an edited photo of Lucy.

Is my terrible allegory of what happened with the "switch to Lumberyard".

A better allegory would be that Cate took a picture of her face on 03/07 and sent it off to a surgeon to see what he could do with her based on the picture. The surgeon got to work on photoshop to make the adjustments that she should expect.

At the same time she took chainsaw and a sledge hammer to her face to "improve it".

The surgeon in the meanwhile died of a terrible case of lovely finances, but to Cate's surprise a second surgeon also took a copy of the picture she sent in and created a photoshopped image of what he could sculpt out of her. She was absolutely enthusiastic about the result and partially due to the massive brain damage caused by the sledge hammer, she exclaimed to the world that she switched surgeons and that she now looks like the picture the surgeon created.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Iglocska posted:

A better allegory would be that Cate took a picture of her face on 03/07 and sent it off to a surgeon to see what he could do with her based on the picture. The surgeon got to work on photoshop to make the adjustments that she should expect.

At the same time she took chainsaw and a sledge hammer to her face to "improve it".

The surgeon in the meanwhile died of a terrible case of lovely finances, but to Cate's surprise a second surgeon also took a copy of the picture she sent in and created a photoshopped image of what he could sculpt out of her. She was absolutely enthusiastic about the result and partially due to the massive brain damage caused by the sledge hammer, she exclaimed to the world that she switched surgeons and that she now looks like the picture the surgeon created.

This is gold.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Kinda want to play Bioshock now.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Iglocska posted:

Yeah, I think this works better too.
Plus there is no way in hell Cate will ever recover from the damage she's done to her face and look anywhere close to her old self, let alone what the second surgeon photoshopped.

But at least she's happy.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AbstractNapper posted:

Yeah, I think this works better too.
Plus there is no way in hell Cate will ever recover from the damage she's done to her face and look anywhere close to her old self, let alone what the second surgeon photoshopped.

But at least she's happy.

Here is 19 minutes of how happy she is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

It's impossible to track at this point so it's best for sanity's sake to fall back on the standard CIG logic formula:

1) A thing was done
2) CIG did the thing
therefore
3) The thing was done wrong

Yea, mine is similar, although somewhat simplified

1) A thing was done (or not done)
2) Assume CIG will lie about it

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

XK posted:

For posterity:

gently caress rescaling these, they're in png format, and not very large data wise.

i know we tend to scrape the bottom of the comedy barrel here at the star citizen thread but this is legitimately funny.

"If your car starts as a blank blueprint and my car starts as a blank blueprint we can safely say that your Honda civic is just a modified Lamborghini with no extra work."

whoever said this guy was just a lighting peon with no idea what he is talking about was pretty much 100% correct.

Ben Parry posted:

Still no. This is starting to get tedious.
Switching is easy, full-version upgrading is hard.
Switching at a point after the upgrades have diverged is extra hard.
What's been done is switching.
So it wasn't hard.

"Calling my Honda a Lamborghini is easy, actually converting it into a Lamborghini conceptually is hard. "
"converting it into a Lamborghini after construction starts is extra hard"
"Whats been done is just calling my Honda a modified Lamborghini"
"So it wasn't hard"

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Mr Fronts posted:

Please, allow me.

this is what understanding game development looks like

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

Technically speaking, we're all fish.

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as “fish”.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
ben parry cleared it up though. That's why the changeover was instantaneous, they just started calling their current impossible to deliver clusterfuck of an engine something else which gave backers false hope that they might actually be taking steps toward delivering something that isn't hilariously embarrassing.

We were actually being way too generous in thinking that CIG had upgraded in any way at all, when really they just slapped a Craftsman sticker on a flaming chinese power tool because they both started conceptually with a power cord in the design process.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

This is all somehow even worse than I had ever imagined , are they really that incompetent and or capable of bold faced lies ?

He asks knowing the answer already

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fat Shat Sings posted:

ben parry cleared it up though. That's why the changeover was instantaneous, they just started calling their current impossible to deliver clusterfuck of an engine something else which gave backers false hope that they might actually be taking steps toward delivering something that isn't hilariously embarrassing.

We were actually being way too generous in thinking that CIG had upgraded in any way at all, when really they just slapped a Craftsman sticker on a flaming chinese power tool because they both started conceptually with a power cord in the design process.

The net effect of this is how Chris perceives his path forward.

Before it was:

"We're a custom branch off CE 3.7, but Crytek can help us to move forward with our goals."

Now it's:

"We're a custom branch off CE 3.7, but Amazon can help us to move forward with our goals."

The difference will become quite evident when Amazon starts getting these fevered requests for assistance from CIG, reviews what they're trying to do with what is now their systems, and tells them they can eat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Fat Shat Sings posted:

whoever said this guy was just a lighting peon with no idea what he is talking about was pretty much 100% correct.

That was me as well.

I'm totally baffled about these explanations he's given, even assuming he's just a lighting guy who's out of the loop. His statements seem to reveal specific things that CIG was trying to skim over and ignore.

Ben Parry is going to be told to shut up, and his posts at the Frontier forums will cease.

Edit: gently caress imgur since the change. Here's a link to wild animals seeing mirrors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaMylwohL14

XK fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 29, 2016