Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Low Desert Punk posted:

I believe the NFL should have a zero-tolerance policy for domestic abuse and rape. Players should have their contracts terminated and gently caress off to find a job in some lovely arena football league. I have a moral issue with supporting a team that employs human garbage. This goes for the NBA and all other major American sports leagues.

This is a very controversial opinion with almost all sports fans, as I've figured out.

i can sympathise with this to the extent that it would be nice to see higher conviction rates and more focus on these types of crimes, but there needs to be a very strong correlation between a punishment that restricts areas of work and the crime comitted; like paedophiles not being allowed to work with children.

as far as an unpopular opinion goes; crimes shouldn't be punished outside of the criminal justice system. it doesn't really matter how heinous the crime is, it isn't the job of individual citizens, other inmates, private corporations or shareholders to punish crime, and restricting access to work is a very serious punishment. once time is served, former criminals ought to be able to enter the work-force on equal footing with everyone else; it is perhaps the single most important issue when it comes to rehabilitation. these restrictions should be court mandated and not left to the discretion of individual employers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i disagree you like going to the movies.

I respect your opinion

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Grandmother of Five posted:

i can sympathise with this to the extent that it would be nice to see higher conviction rates and more focus on these types of crimes, but there needs to be a very strong correlation between a punishment that restricts areas of work and the crime comitted; like paedophiles not being allowed to work with children.

as far as an unpopular opinion goes; crimes shouldn't be punished outside of the criminal justice system. it doesn't really matter how heinous the crime is, it isn't the job of individual citizens, other inmates, private corporations or shareholders to punish crime, and restricting access to work is a very serious punishment. once time is served, former criminals ought to be able to enter the work-force on equal footing with everyone else; it is perhaps the single most important issue when it comes to rehabilitation. these restrictions should be court mandated and not left to the discretion of individual employers.

I agree in general, but for high-profile jobs, especially those where the person is promoted as a role model, it's a different story. You can't say "This guy is great, we all love him and you should too, he's a hero to children, and also he's a rapist but please ignore that!"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Well then the problem is with promoting sportsmen as role models to begin with.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I wish I made enough money to live in a world without consequence.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I wish I made enough money to live in a world without consequence.

As I previously mentioned, white collar crime is the way to go.

Have easy access to millions waiting to be stolen, more than enough time to flee the country due to the bureaucratic crawl, and worst case scenario, get sent to a cushy minimum security prison for like, six months.

* And if you are an old white man (a la: Kenneth Lay), you'll probably die before you even go to prison!

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 05:35 on Dec 29, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sic Semper Goon posted:

As I previously mentioned, white collar crime is the way to go.

Have easy access to millions waiting to be stolen, more than enough time to flee the country due to the bureaucratic crawl, and worst case scenario, get sent to a cushy minimum security prison for like, six months.

* And if you are an old white man (a la: Kenneth Lay), you'll probably die before you even go to prison!

Just don't steal from rich people. Bernie Madoff made that mistake and he's gone forever. The legal system doesn't give much of a poo poo if you own a company that bilks millions of people out of billions of dollars but as soon as you defraud a rich person...hooooo boy

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I disagree that music has been getting worse. Music was never good. Same goes for movies and literature.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Correct with some caveats. Normal employment sure, but any kind of executive exempt position, there should be allowed some discretion for sure.

As for theaters i enjoy the movie experience, especially when they have food and beer and stuff. What sucks ut the enjoyment is the price. Its stupid to pay a ton for popcorn or poo poo. Thats dumb as hell. At least the restaurant places serve gourmet stuff.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Blue Star posted:

I disagree that music has been getting worse. Music was never good. Same goes for movies and literature.

I feel the same way about your posts.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

as far as an unpopular opinion goes; crimes shouldn't be punished outside of the criminal justice system. it doesn't really matter how heinous the crime is, it isn't the job of individual citizens, other inmates, private corporations or shareholders to punish crime

:agreed:

I just wish there were a more satisfying balance between respect for the legal system and the few cases where a court's ruling seems far too lenient given precedents (most often due to a major difference in influence between the plaintiff and defendant), far too harsh, or in cases where a set of serious crimes already has a legal history of incurring mismatched penalties compared to the damage wrought. I don't much care for any sort of private justice, not all details are shared outside courtroom doors that would let the public make more informed judgements themselves, but I also admit the system as is frequently lets people down in unacceptable ways and maybe the public has a self-interest, if not right, to intervene.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Just don't steal from rich people. Bernie Madoff made that mistake and he's gone forever. The legal system doesn't give much of a poo poo if you own a company that bilks millions of people out of billions of dollars but as soon as you defraud a rich person...hooooo boy

Well, I would have thought that went without saying.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Regarding movie theaters, much of it is very much the over commercialized megaplexes working too hard to draw in as many butts in seats as they can for the highest profits, and it's shameless and artificial to all.
I saw Rogue One this week, and had a lot of contempt for the theater. There were mega long lines not prepared for the holiday rush, with obvious understaffing of teens underpaid. After the Entertainment Tonight style preshow there were commercials for coke and candy. Then after the silence phones message, the SAME commercials ran. Then between the previews and the movie was ANOTHER commercial for Coke.

There are two theaters in my mom's county thst I love and are outliers for opposite reasons. First, there's an Alamo Drafthouse. If you didn't know, the chain caters to the arthouse and cult crowds, and boy does it. Fancy assigned seats with full food and drink service for your tables, with high end selections. Custom themed preshow reels filled with trailers and shorts and clips matching the film to be seen. Two strikes and you're out talking, phones, and manners policies. You come there and feel like you're at a theater that still loves the cinema.
On the other end of the county sitting on the end of a strip mall is a theater that trims all the fat, feeling like a second run place while keeping a first run bill. The popcorn and drinks are self serve. There aren't carpets in the theaters. They don't have fancy 3d or plush seats. You get your movie and you don't have to pay an arm and a leg. I've never seen the place not crowded.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's lots of ways to keep theatergoing a rewarding pasttime, but the way the big franchise plexes do things ain't it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Is that really that hard to understand?

Yes, the obsession with getting everything the moment it comes out - be it movies, games, music - makes no sense. The world is flooded with preexisting entertainment you can enjoy in the meantime, why would you constrain yourself to watching stuff RIGHT AWAY instead at your leisure, whenever it becomes most convenient for you?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, the obsession with getting everything the moment it comes out - be it movies, games, music - makes no sense. The world is flooded with preexisting entertainment you can enjoy in the meantime, why would you constrain yourself to watching stuff RIGHT AWAY instead at your leisure, whenever it becomes most convenient for you?

Maybe you want to participate in the conversations everyone you know is going to be having about it for the brief time after it comes out :shrug:? There's nothing wrong with waiting to see it especially if you're not enthusiastic about it, but it's not some bizarre impossible to understand phenomenon that some people prefer to see it as soon as they can. Haven't you ever really wanted to see a movie or play a new game? Why wait if you don't have to?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Maybe you want to participate in the conversations everyone you know is going to be having about it for the brief time after it comes out :shrug:? There's nothing wrong with waiting to see it especially if you're not enthusiastic about it, but it's not some bizarre impossible to understand phenomenon that some people prefer to see it as soon as they can. Haven't you ever really wanted to see a movie or play a new game? Why wait if you don't have to?

You can talk about the older things as well. It is certainly going to be more interesting than "Did you see that new superhero flick?" "Yup." "Yup." "So see you later."

It's not bizarre, but people are in general way too obsessed with immediate consumption. Personally I have a hard time juggling all the things I want to do so I often end up playing or watching something I was enthusiastic about a year or more after release, and don't feel any worse off for it.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 08:42 on Dec 29, 2016

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

steinrokkan posted:

You can talk about the older things as well. It is certainly going to be more interesting than "Did you see that new superhero flick?" "Yup." "Yup." "So see you later."

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty standard conversation to have with someone about a new release, if they don't share any of your interests and/or just don't want to talk to you.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oldpainless posted:

I respect your opinion

Your actions are ridiculous! My opinions are oft disrespected.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

Correct with some caveats. Normal employment sure, but any kind of executive exempt position, there should be allowed some discretion for sure.

As for theaters i enjoy the movie experience, especially when they have food and beer and stuff. What sucks ut the enjoyment is the price. Its stupid to pay a ton for popcorn or poo poo. Thats dumb as hell. At least the restaurant places serve gourmet stuff.

A beer is like 8 bucks at my local theater. The food is cheap though so I suppose it balances out

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

movie theaters should ban snacks in general, i hate listening to you rustle around your maximum size feed bucket while i'm trying to engage with a movie, if you seriously can't go without snacking on fat and salt puffs and focus for 90 minutes stay home and strap on a feed bag like the animal you are

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Going to see a movie when it comes out is also pretty much what you do if you have friends that all wanna see the movie.

Makes a lot more sense to go "let's all meet at the first showing and go get food after" rather than "Yeah, let's wait until the DVD release at an indeterminate time, where half of us will have already seen it"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Because it's fun. Because people like to do it with their friends.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Dec 29, 2016

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Breakfast Burrito posted:

movie theaters should ban snacks in general, i hate listening to you rustle around your maximum size feed bucket while i'm trying to engage with a movie, if you seriously can't go without snacking on fat and salt puffs and focus for 90 minutes stay home and strap on a feed bag like the animal you are

The vast majority of movie theatres' revenue comes from snacks sales, so this would probably spell the end for theatres altogether

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Then the snacks should be quieter without loud plastic wrap.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Breakfast Burrito posted:

lol

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know they make a ton of money on snacks because the mark up is insane but id legit go more often and buy more if it wasnt a $30 experience. Just the audacity they have to even ask that turns me off from even going.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Then the snacks should be quieter

Too bad popcorn has is cheapest possible thing. Even if they halved the prices the profit margins would still be insane.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jastiger posted:

I know they make a ton of money on snacks because the mark up is insane but id legit go more often and buy more if it wasnt a $30 experience. Just the audacity they have to even ask that turns me off from even going.

That's really the central part of my biggest complaint. Like I really, really like to see a good movie in 3D with a stellar sound system on a huge screen. I also like to munch on popcorn when I do it.

I really dislike paying $20 to $30 to do that in a typical theater these days. Most of them have carpets that are older than I am that have been cleaned maybe once, uncomfortable seats bought as cheaply as possible, and no policies to keep obnoxious people out. If movies weren't so frequently ruined by screaming toddlers or people with cell phones I'd probably go more. Asking for courtesy doesn't do it; you need to throw people out if they ruin the experience for others but of course that involves paying somebody to actually do that. Theaters are also run on skeleton crews that are obviously not being paid enough to care. You'll hear stupid poo poo like speakers rattling because they haven't been maintained properly, broken equipment that hasn't been properly working in years, and horrifyingly bad food safety. The popcorn bin probably hasn't been cleaned in a decade and the bathrooms are filled with unspeakable horrors.

Then thanks to the movie industry sometimes if you pony up for the fancy extras you end up not getting them. Aside from the fact that the last Hobbit movie was just boring and awful in general I went to see it in 3D. There were like two scenes of 3D in the whole movie where it was noticeable. It wasn't even that much of it either. It really speaks to the badness of the whole industry top to bottom that leaving the theater thinking "I'm glad I came here" has been the minority of times I went in the past like...decade. The quality of the experience has just gotten continually worse.

I also enjoy cheesy, ridiculous science fiction but other than the Star Trek movies that doesn't seem to come out all that often anymore. Everything is just formulaic nostalgia-mining bullshit. I don't want to watch comic book movies but like 40 of them come out every year.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Saddest Rhino posted:

My opinions are oft disrespected.

Well they are not disrespected by me, friend.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Comic Sans is completely fine and very readable.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The only movies I've seen worth seeing in 3D are all animated. 3D live action just draws my attention to the rift between CG and reality and yanks my suspension of disbelief right outta there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Das Boo posted:

The only movies I've seen worth seeing in 3D are all animated. 3D live action just draws my attention to the rift between CG and reality and yanks my suspension of disbelief right outta there.

Star Trek: Into Darkness was very, very good in 3D. Then again I guess that also counts as animated because there was CGI to hell and back on that one. Fury Road was also pretty drat good in 3D.

Then again the ones I enjoyed most in 3D were animated. Up and How to Train your Dragon were spectacular in 3D. I went to see both 3D in the theater twice. I very rarely watch a movie more than once.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I cannot believe they are still trying to shove 3d down our throats. Nobody wants it, and people that do want it are just slaves to marketing bullshit.

Also nobody wants 120fps or whatever Ang Lee tried to do with the football movie.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like 120fps! Not in movies though. Really just for sports and video games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

3D is amazing for VR though. Don't need it from movies.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of VR, I don't think it's really gonna go anywhere beyond railshooters or funny stupid games like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, so it probably won't sell too well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd love to take a bet on that one.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Cracked is not that bad of a site. I don't think that's an unpopular opinion as a whole since it gets traffic but goons seem to hate it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

spit on my clit posted:

Speaking of VR, I don't think it's really gonna go anywhere beyond railshooters or funny stupid games like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, so it probably won't sell too well.

It definitely won't go anywhere if it requires wearing a big sweaty headset attached to a $1500 PC. And since I wear glasses I will probably never use VR until they remove the headset part.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

I'd love to take a bet on that one.

Nobody is buying VR anymore. Maybe there will be a new generation a couple years from now that will do better, but it will most likely remain a very niche product, like flight simulator sticks and other dedicated gamer crap.