Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

1. A
2. H

Can you tell me how to make the dead go away?

Without Nerida and the Duchess, how could my people survive the dead and the swamp beasts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
There is more than one sun? What do you mean?

Will the true gods awaken some day?

You are me? I am you? Who is the walrus then?WHAT DO YOU MEAN? What will happen if you become me? Will I die? Why should I release you? Explain yourself

How can I obtain your powers?

My father is a woman!?

Describe the woman we just met. Do you know her?

Write the symbol on a tree's bark.
YOu were one of the people? HOw did you escape from the Duchess? Where did you go?

What happens to the children that go into her manor?

What is the scarlet empire?

Is it my destiny to leave the swamp?

Why is my father leading the people astray? Here we have food and are protected by the Duchess. WIthout them we would perish/

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Whoops, I meant G instead of Q.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Aades posted:

Can you tell me how to make the dead go away?
"Easily enough; kill all the living, then destroy all the dead. When this is done, the Dead will be no more - though I doubt that you will do it." He grins at you, his teeth making the grin look rather lopsided. "You don't have the heart yet."

Aades posted:

Without Nerida and the Duchess, how could my people survive the dead and the swamp beasts?
"Our people survived for millenia without either of them. I doubt their lives would be so comfortable as they are now, but as Orra once told me: 'A thousand streams flow always to the same ocean.' The People will endure without that parasitic thing and her tame lackey."

Mr. Nemo posted:

There is more than one sun? What do you mean?
He simply laughs at this. "You will learn, one day, if you ever escape."

Mr. Nemo posted:

Will the true gods awaken some day?
"Never. They were slain by the usurpers' pawns, but they still whisper...in their dreams..." He looks weaker.

Mr. Nemo posted:

You are me? I am you? Who is the walrus then?WHAT DO YOU MEAN? What will happen if you become me? Will I die? Why should I release you? Explain yourself
He shrugs. "It's quite simple. I will die here, one way or another, and you will inherit my power, becoming what I once was - and possibly more, if the Sleepers will it."

Mr. Nemo posted:

How can I obtain your powers?
"Free me. Free me, and all that I was, all that I might have been, will be yours."

Mr. Nemo posted:

My father is a woman!?
At this, he only laughs, though it trails off into a long, wracking cough.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Describe the woman we just met. Do you know her?
He listens, and nods. "She is one like me, and like you will become. But far stranger, and far more deadly. If I had one useful piece of advice, it is this - do not cross her."

Mr. Nemo posted:

Write the symbol on a tree's bark.
This is an action - you'll need to vote for a fill-in to do this.

Mr. Nemo posted:

YOu were one of the people? HOw did you escape from the Duchess? Where did you go?
"Once, yes." His voice is softer, now, and frequently interrupted by wracking coughs. "I was sent far, far away, and I saw what other peoples were. They were not as we were."

Mr. Nemo posted:

What happens to the children that go into her manor?
"All are changed. Most become less. Some few become more."

Mr. Nemo posted:

What is the scarlet empire?
"A great empire, far from here. Built on lies that are starting to come unravelled."

Mr. Nemo posted:

Is it my destiny to leave the swamp?
He shrugs, weakly. His strength seems to be fading fast. "If that is what the Sleepers will, then yes. I cannot say."

Mr. Nemo posted:

Why is my father leading the people astray? Here we have food and are protected by the Duchess. WIthout them we would perish/
He musters up enough strength to pierce you with his gaze. "He keeps them safe, tends to them as a keeper of beasts. But does he stop them from giving their children to that thing in the manor? Does he stop that thing from taking whom she will into her endless hunger? The People lived for a long time before Nerida's lies, they will live for a long time after." He slumps into the water. "Enough. My strength leaves me, child. Free me, or drat me, I no longer have the strength to answer you." He lapses silent and still, only his ragged breaths showing that he is still alive.

Voting will most likely remain open until tomorrow morning, but the Stranger, as you can see, is too weak to answer further questions at this time. You'll have to decide what to do, and how you feel about it, without further input.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

AQ

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

AI

Confused, what is going on? My father is a woman? And evil? And he used to be une of us???

I hope he fulfills his side of the deal and names us.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
AI

There is no satisfaction here, but there is no guilt. There is no trepidation, neither do we revel in it. He asked for our help, for the final mercy towards the dying, a surcease from pain. We grant that mercy knowing that that is what it is, no more and no less.

We have a lot of questions for our 'father' when we return.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
AG

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Also AG

I hate to have to ask this, but does our protagonist have any recollection of seeing our father's penis? Either way, I'm sure they have a reasonable explanation right?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Tagichatn posted:

I hate to have to ask this, but does our protagonist have any recollection of seeing our father's penis? Either way, I'm sure they have a reasonable explanation right?

FrozenGoldfishGod hand shook as he threw the coin, he'd rather not have to write about this, but they had asked, and they deserved a question. He only prayed that...

Tails.

drat. With a heavy sigh and a sad expression he began to type "You were five when it first happened, at first you didn't understand..."

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
D, H

Am I crazy here guys, or does it sound like the Stranger is going to possess us once we kill him? And if Nerida is actually Naman, and he/she bound him here rather than killing him outright, there must have been a good reason for it.

And remember, we have nothing in our own past to indicate that Naman is evil, just the word of two potentially hostile strangers. He's our father. Or maybe our mother. Or...uh, whatever. But let's have some familial loyalty until we have a good reason otherwise.

I, too, wonder if we are absolutely sure that Naman is physically a man. Have we at least ever seen him with his shirt off?

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 24, 2016

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

Mr. Nemo posted:

FrozenGoldfishGod hand shook as he threw the coin, he'd rather not have to write about this, but they had asked, and they deserved a question. He only prayed that...

Tails.

drat. With a heavy sigh and a sad expression he began to type "You were five when it first happened, at first you didn't understand..."

I just want you to know that I laughed harder at this than I have in weeks.

Also, no, you have not seen your father's penis. When nature calls, it's considered polite to go find a quiet, solitary spot on the island to take care of it - and since there's plantlife and water aplenty, there's not much of an issue over the matter. If you're out on the boats, then the solution is even simpler: find somewhere relatively solid you can squat on while you handle the little necessities of life, then get back to the boat and continue looking for food.

You have not seen him without his shirt on, either - well, more precisely, without the roll of cloth most adults wear under their outer garments. You have seen Orra shirtless, and for a man in his late thirties, he is RIPPED. Then again, with how much physical exertion is involved in daily life among the People, that's not unusual at all.

Also, voting will remain open for a few more hours. For those who haven't yet voted, I encourage you to do so! Even if you vote for a losing option, that will still affect options our girl considers in the future. Think of it like this: even if you vote for a losing option, that's still a course of action considered. The ones that weren't voted for at all are the options she didn't even consider.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

Apologies on the delay, being the oldest sibling during the holiday season carries a lot of responsibility, and I simply haven't had time to write the update until now. That being said, on with the game!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You heft your stone knife. Your stomach turns - you're no stranger to blood and the act of killing for food, but this isn't an animal you intend to eat, or some revenant hungry for flesh - this is a living, breathing man you've been speaking with. Even knowing that he tried to hurt your father, even knowing that he considers Muran a monster, and even knowing that he asked you for it, it feels wrong to kill him like this. For a few moments, you consider just turning around, poling the boat away, and leaving him here to rot - but then you force your hand to steady, finding a reserve of strength you didn't know you had. Even the very real possibility that he might become one of the Dead, or something worse, as a result of this, doesn't stay your hand.

You drive your stone knife into the side of his throat, and pull it across it. There's a spray of blood, and he shudders and jerks, then falls limp in his bindings. His eyes meet yours for a second, and -

ME. I SEE YOU/ME.
You can feel the gaze, looking into you, through you.
YOU AND I ARE ONE. YOUR NAME IS...
The voice reverberates, coming from within you into the darkness surrounding you on all sides, then echoing back to your hearing.

1. What name does the voice tell you?
A. Virat
B. Talmut
C. Gotril
D. Jursik
THE SLEEPERS WHISPER TO YOU. HEED THE WHISPERS, AND KNOW THE POWER THAT IS YOUR DUE.

- Seek before your yours life the is beware our obscenity power gods come we everlasting us revenge take -

You are sitting in your boat. There is no sign of the stone, of the Stranger's body, or of the grove of trees that grew around it. You know this place - you are to the west of your village, and the sun is setting over the trees. There is no sign of life immediately around you, though you can see smoke rising to the west, from about the distance you'd expect to see if the big fire Naman built for your departure was still burning.

Your new name sings in your mind, and you feel cold, though you are surprisingly completely dry. You are also very tired, powerfully hungry and extremely thirsty, though with plenty of water around you that last one won't be much of an issue. You still have all your possessions, though the stone knife is clean of the Stranger's blood.

2. You have your name, and possibly more. What do you do now?
E. Return to the village, to celebrate!
F. E, but you instead insist on talking to Naman alone. You have questions for him(?)
G. F, but you want Orra there, too. He's got questions to answer too, dammit!
H. E, but you want to speak to Orra alone. You've got some questions for him.
I. E, but you try to speak to someone else alone instead. Describe who you want to talk to.
J. Return to the village, but try to skip the celebration and just get some rest - maybe this will all make sense after some proper sleep?
K. Try to seek out the strange woman you spoke to earlier.
L. Pray to Muran for guidance.
M. Fill in.

FrozenGoldfishGod fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 22, 2017

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

AG

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

CK

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BG

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

D G
Both parents are involved so might as well talk to both.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C M Celebrate tonight, speak with your 'father' and father individually over the course of the next day.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
CE
Let's just have a good time after all of this heavy stuff!

Absum
May 28, 2013

1. A
2. E

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
BF

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

DK

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

just to check: No matter what direction we chose we would've met the stranger right?

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

Mr. Nemo posted:

just to check: No matter what direction we chose we would've met the stranger right?

Incorrect.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
CG

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Mr. Nemo posted:

Incorrect.

To expand on this now that I've fixed my computer and am not phoneposting: Nothing is set in stone about this game's 'plot' or 'progress'. I did quite a bit of prepwork before I started the game, setting up various factions and individuals, and they will act according to their interests and motivations. (And, interestingly to me at least, all of your actions thus far have altered what would have happened if, for some reason, I decided to play out what would happen without further input from you. Naturally, I expect that no matter what options you choose to pursue going forwards, things will continue to change.) While I have a vague idea about what might happen, that's more an rough guess based on the actions so far and situational knowledge that you as a character don't have.

If you'd gone some other direction? I can't say what would have happened, but it very likely have not involved the same individuals as it did. (Possibly the woman, almost certainly not the Stranger.) Update to follow in a few hours, but for now, voting remains open! If you have any last-minute votes to cast, go for it!

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

You return to the village, the name Gotril resonating in your mind. Each stroke of your oars feels a little heavier, and with each movement, your stomach clenches and squeezes at you. Stroke.

Almost there.

Stroke.

Just a little bit further.

Stroke.

Almost...

Stroke.

There...

Stroke.

Your arms burn.

Stroke.

Your eyes burn and water.

Stroke.

Your stomach clenches and burns.

Stroke.

After an eternity...

Stroke.

...of ceaseless rowing...

Stroke.

...and hunger worse than you have ever known...

Stroke.

You feel your boat bump against the shore, and strong hands lift you out of the boat. Orra's face, ringed with his wild brown hair and beard, lift you from the boat. He grins down at you, and carries you towards the village. "She has returned!" he shouts, the pride in his voice evident as he carries you lightly and swiftly over to the others! There's a massive feast set out, and the villagers are all standing around it. Naman laughs, and comes running over to hug both you and Orra. "Well done! The boy - Murell - returned hours ago, but we knew that you would be back, too!" He asks you what your new name is, and you tell him. He turns, and shouts it to the rest of the villagers, who cheer and shout!

You tell him - oh, that food smells delicious - that you need to talk to him and Orra at once, in private. They both look somewhat surprised, expecting you to be more interested in the food, but then they nod. "I'll bring some food, and get the villagers celebrating. We'll tell them that you were too tired to celebrate properly." Orra nods, and carries you to the hut you share with them, settling you into your blankets. A few moments pass before Naman joins you both, carrying a large plate full of fish and a wooden stick to grab them with. They're still quite warm, as if either freshly cooked, or kept warm for your arrival.

"Now, sweet, you said you wanted to talk to us? What about?"

QUESTION TIME! Naman and Orra are both present, and can be asked about any topic you want. The next update will very likely involve a timeskip and the choices made during it, so fire away with those questions!

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Didn't think to ask this before. Do we know any of the names we heard? Do they mean anything to us?

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Who is Nerida?
Why do hunters in the woods want to kill Nerida?

I guess we should tell them everything we remember about our swamp adventure. The people we met out there think our dads are evil but our dads have treated us well.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Why do two separate people think Naman is a woman named Nerida?
Where did you really come from?
Did the crocodile know you were a woman too?
What kind of power does the Stranger have?
Can it be passed on to someone else?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Avoided this thread earlier because I thought it would be about zombies. It is, but it's much more than that, and I feel a fool for not giving it a chance earlier!

Also, ask what they think about our new name!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Tell them everything. Ask them to elaborate.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Feed our insatiable HUNGER in the only way we know how--

fresh fish.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

Sorry about that, folks, somehow the thread got closed. I'll look into THAT once I'm done writing up the answers to some of the questions, but keep 'em coming.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

Mr. Nemo posted:

Didn't think to ask this before. Do we know any of the names we heard? Do they mean anything to us?

You can't quite remember all of them, only the one that the voice told you was yours.

Gotril was an ancient member of the People, before they served Muran. When the world shook, and the Shadow of The Dragon That Was fell across the People, Gotril was the one who led them into the World. Then she set out alone to discover the Shadow's temple. In a mighty battle that lasted for a week straight, she shattered the temple and the Shadow, forcing it to release the People and let them walk freely under the sun once again. She then walked ten steps from the temple, and fell, the Shadow's venom consuming her at last. You've heard the story from Naman before, and it seems that the Name you've been given gives you big shoes to fill.

Aades posted:

Who is Nerida?
Naman and Orra look at one another. Naman starts to speak. "I will tell you that when -" Orra cuts him off. "No. She's ready to know the truth now, love." There's a silent glance between them, then Naman - for the first time since you can remember - bows his head, and acquiesces to Orra. "Very well. I was once called Peleps Nerida, sweet. I was the daughter of a wealthy family in a far-away empire, but for reasons too complicated to go into right now, I was exiled, and adopted the name Naman to distance myself from my past.

Aades posted:

Why do hunters in the woods want to kill Nerida?
Naman clears his (her?) throat. "I made many enemies during my long flight from my family. I daresay some of them have the power to find me, if they are determined enough."

Aades posted:

I guess we should tell them everything we remember about our swamp adventure. The people we met out there think our dads are evil but our dads have treated us well.

Since there are two people who support this course of action (and nobody seems to oppose it), I'll allow it unless someone speaks up against it before my next sequence of answers.

Tagichatn posted:

Why do two separate people think Naman is a woman named Nerida?
This one was answered above, so it won't be repeated.

Tagichatn posted:

Where did you really come from?
Naman answers, quietly. "A cruel empire that believed it alone knew the truth. They were wrong."

Tagichatn posted:

Did the crocodile know you were a woman too?
Naman rolls his eyes at this, and Orra laughs outright. Orra's the one who answers. "I doubt the crocodile knew, or cared if it did!" He seems to find the question very funny.

Tagichatn posted:

What kind of power does the Stranger have?
Naman speaks again. "A power similar to my own, but from a far more foul source. My power is about protecting and binding, his about destroying." You feel a stir at this answer, somewhere within you, and you can hear a faint whispering at the edges of your hearing. Neither Naman nor Orra seems to hear it, or if they do, they do not respond to it.

Tagichatn posted:

Can it be passed on to someone else?
"Not while the bearer still lives. If they die, then it will seek out a new individual to bear it, though the power's nature reflects that of the bearer to a large degree."

Dog Kisser posted:

Avoided this thread earlier because I thought it would be about zombies. It is, but it's much more than that, and I feel a fool for not giving it a chance earlier!

Also, ask what they think about our new name!
Welcome to the game! It's true, there are zombies (and will probably be more!) but it's definitely not a 'zombie game'.

As for the question:
Naman sighs, and Orra grins. "With a name like that, you're definitely our daughter!" Naman interjects, "Yes, though I had hoped you might find a less troublesome name."

AJ_Impy posted:

I'll let that one sit for a few hours to see if anyone wants to oppose it.

SerSpook posted:

Feed our insatiable HUNGER in the only way we know how--

fresh fish.

Good plan. Some people get demonically cranky when they get too hungry.

FrozenGoldfishGod fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 22, 2017

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Naman speaks again. "A power similar to my own, but from a far more foul source. My power is about protecting and binding, his about destroying." You feel a stir at this answer, somewhere within you, and you can hear a faint whispering at the edges of your hearing. Neither Naman nor Orra seems to hear it, or if they do, they do not respond to it.

I don't know about telling them we might have foul powers in us. Naman might be ok but he is beholden to the creepy Duchess.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Daddy, are you a boy or a girl? I don't understand.

The duchess isn't a monster is she?

Are you a "lackey" dad?

AJ_Impy posted:

I don't want to do this.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Naman starts to speak. "I will tell you that when -" Orra cuts him off. "No. She's ready to know the truth now, love."

So not taking too much influence from Diog then huh :v:

Yeah let's pause on telling Dads that we have an evil power in us

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Patrick Spens posted:

So not taking too much influence from Diog then huh :v:

Yeah let's pause on telling Dads that we have an evil power in us

Define evil. We have a power inside us. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Power from a foul source that is about destroying.

• Locked thread