Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

The Linux Fairy posted:

When we stopped, we found one of the myriad pieces of paper that were scattered from the crash cozy up in my radiator

I'm glad you mentioned this because I thought that looked like a stack of paper shooting out of the SUV but then I started to doubt myself thinking it was pieces of the bumper support or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

krnhotwings posted:

Cool, thanks. I may go with a Mobius 2. From sample youtube videos, it seems to do pretty darn well with shadow exposure. Some have complained that it has worse audio quality than the original Mobius, but I don't particularly care about the audio, so it may work out better for me.

99% of the audio mine captures is me yelling and cursing at bad drivers here in Miami, so no big loss.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The Linux Fairy posted:

Last night, on the drive home from a Christmas Eve evening at a friend's place in the city, I got my first real scary footage on my dashcam (a Mini 0805). And to top it off, I wasn't even driving at the time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqh94Js15yw

Vehicle at full stop with hazards on in #4 lane for unknown reason, vehicle about to exit the highway does not see the stopped vehicle, and causes a quartering rear-end impact at ~60MPH (no brake application before impact). Everyone walked away, according to the cops who came to take my statement (the little old lady in the SUV was reportedly "feeling a little stiff", and I imagine quite a lot more so this morning...).

The bonus here is that Rick, who was driving, had had a total of 5 minutes behind the wheel of my car (a Genesis Coupe) before he had to make this maneuver (you can hear us talking about the steering feel just at the beginning). He and I had both done a car control clinic with the BMWCCA Golden Gate Chapter a few months prior (he in his mk7 GTI, and I in the Genesis), in which this was very specifically one of the skills practiced -- and now I am sure glad that we did!

Why...why didn't you stop?

Like, as in pull over to the side of the road, set up a warning sign, hazards, check on the crashed folks?

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Like, as in pull over to the side of the road, set up a warning sign, hazards, check on the crashed folks?

The shoulder there was about 3/4 of a car wide on a badly-lit section of the highway; stopping would have exposed us and other motorists to another potentially dangerous situation. You'll note also that we were doing freeway speeds, and so by the time we were clear of it, we'd have to go backwards a pretty substantial distance on a freeway that wasn't closed yet in order to get anywhere near them. What we could have done there is pretty limited, too: I don't carry flares or a bright orange warning sign in my trunk, and setting them up anyway would require being a pedestrian on an active freeway without blues & twos to protect me (not a good plan!). Objectively, calling 911 and waiting at a gas station to provide a statement and hand over a copy of the video was the safest and most useful thing thing to do.

But the reality of it is that we weren't thinking about any of that. It's really easy to fake-stammer something from the other end of a keyboard, but when you're actually confronted with that kind of situation and you're full of adrenaline, the instinctive reaction is to get some distance between you and whatever the threat is, and that's a difficult interject to override.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

99% of the audio mine captures is me yelling and cursing at bad drivers here in Miami, so no big loss.
gently caress, I wish I had a dashcam 'cause two days ago, I ran over a huge chunk of metal, which almost hosed up my car. Pulled over, no leaks, no damage 'cept what seemed like nick in the transmission case, as far as I can tell. Gonna get it checked out tomorrow to see if there are any cracks or hidden damage anywhere. Anywho, the car in front of me either hit the same chunk or was the source of it because he was dumping oil and the bottom of his car was sparking like mad. Sure would've made a good youtube video. :(

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Got the A119 cam for Christmas. Having trouble finding a spare non-GPS mount for it so I can switch it among cars. Any good sources for that?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Linux Fairy posted:

The shoulder there was about 3/4 of a car wide on a badly-lit section of the highway; stopping would have exposed us and other motorists to another potentially dangerous situation. You'll note also that we were doing freeway speeds, and so by the time we were clear of it, we'd have to go backwards a pretty substantial distance on a freeway that wasn't closed yet in order to get anywhere near them. What we could have done there is pretty limited, too: I don't carry flares or a bright orange warning sign in my trunk, and setting them up anyway would require being a pedestrian on an active freeway without blues & twos to protect me (not a good plan!). Objectively, calling 911 and waiting at a gas station to provide a statement and hand over a copy of the video was the safest and most useful thing thing to do.

But the reality of it is that we weren't thinking about any of that. It's really easy to fake-stammer something from the other end of a keyboard, but when you're actually confronted with that kind of situation and you're full of adrenaline, the instinctive reaction is to get some distance between you and whatever the threat is, and that's a difficult interject to override.

This was 100% the correct thing to do. Unless you have red and blue flashing lights, if there isn't a full shoulder, you just become the next accident.
You also shouldn't run across a full freeway after an accident either, particularly at night.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

nm posted:

You also shouldn't run across a full freeway after an accident either, particularly at night.

True story. When I was a kid, a neighbor of mine got into a wreck that he easily survived. However, in a daze he got out of the car and started wandering away from it. He got hit by another car and that was it for him.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
FYI:

Massdrop has the Blackvue dr650 available if you're interested.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That's what the first guy did, had his hazards on and everything! :v:

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Looking for both a general recommendation and any available trip reports on the Lukas LK-7900 ARA. I like the GPS, the available OBDII attachment for telemetry, and the form factor is okay, though it's kind of a high price for both I think having that and GPS info overlaid on the files could be useful. I'm just wanting something better than the Mobius, and am considering the Lukas car UPS as well, though it seems to be disappearing from Amazon. Also, there's an affordable polarizing filter that will fit it, something I've become interested in since my first pair of polarized lenses.

For recommendations, I'm wanting 1080p60 recording. I know about the Marcus 3, which also has an available polarizing filter, but it's $300 and I'm not a fan of the large form factor. It's also missing from Vicovation's site so it may not be available any more. I tried searching dashcamtalk but got no results for 1080p60 or simply p60.

[Edit] I just found their Opia2 and Vico MF3 both do 1080p60, the Opia is closer to the Marcus and I really prefer its shape/size to the MF3's gigantic profile, and I still don't want my dash cam to have too much inherent value.

[Edit 2] I suppose I can't really desire this niche feature and also want to make sure it's not too valuable.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 30, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
So far so good on the A118C but we shall see if I can break it like I did the Cobra 840 and G1W that came before it.
Last night and this morning were remarkably smooth, only a few stupid things witnessed:

I'm rolling along in the middle lane of i90, slowly catching up on a car. There is a semi truck in the right lane. The semi abruptly brakes and cuts me off, for no reason (right lane was visibly empty) and starts semitruck-tailgating the person I was catching up on. I avoided a collision, blipped the horn as I went by the truck, and he laid on the horn and flicked his high beams at me repeatedly in response. gently caress you too, apparently BBX hires lovely drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRDTzBgnDg

The guy in front of me moves right to undertake the black BMW and carbon VW faffing about in the left lane. Then I do. He fails to accelerate to pass, and just then the VW decides to get out of the way of the BMW (who doesn't react at all, still hogging the left lane) cutting off the guy who was in front of me. As a result, we got to stare at the back of their cars for several more miles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkS-z20kdW0

Then this genius slammed on the brakes right at the last minute while already in the exit-only lane (you don't get there by accident in this case) and then jumped out at the last second.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQh3fTY5Ut0

I also learned that with the A118C on "medium" G-sensor triggering, scraping ice off my windshield will most certainly trigger it. There was a great video of me scraping my windshield in the read-only folder :v:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The Linux Fairy posted:

I've been in similar situations multiple times, one unfortunately didn't go as well.

But I guess I massively overestimated the size of the shoulder, and it looked to me like the wreck and the involved cars blocked off almost the entirety of the right side of the highway.
You are absolutely right, there was no feasible way to stop there without endangering yourself or others.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Genius driving on bare rim in Denver 1/4/2017 snowstorm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Apd5wDyTM

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Lime Tonics posted:

Really cuts through the ice!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lime Tonics posted:

Avoid chains with this one weird trick.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEqVD9ZrJiM
:P

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
But why?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Those crows were checking it out too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is this Street Guardian SG9665GC v3 2017 that much better than everything else? Or should I just spend half as much on something reasonable?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U0OJMYG/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_2?colid=26IZ05XZOID8K&coliid=I30C7HBM318Y0S

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

FogHelmut posted:

Is this Street Guardian SG9665GC v3 2017 that much better than everything else? Or should I just spend half as much on something reasonable?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U0OJMYG/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_2?colid=26IZ05XZOID8K&coliid=I30C7HBM318Y0S

New sensor, new lens, comes standard with a CPL filter. If you already have a V2 its not a big jump. Anything else its just you deciding how much more quality you want in your video. The A118C and the A119 are similar with lower price points, but have slightly worse sensors, so night time is a bit worse. Depends if you are okay paying a premium for better quality when other cameras have good enough.

A119 review $100
Street Guardian SG9665GC review not V3 $200

Street Guardian V3 vs V2 Video comparison https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9665gc-v3-vs-v2-day-night-beta-fw-v30.26123/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

I had to wait for an iguana once in Fort Lauderdale.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I just bought the V2 a couple months ago. gently caress!

It works well though. No complaints!

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I had to wait for an iguana once in Fort Lauderdale.

you should have honked

an iguana running at flank speed is one of the funniest sights Mother Nature has to offer

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm getting quite tired of all these cocks on the road here as well

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Not mine, but I like it just for how disappointed the driver sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9lqwpCXVnk

"You're on your cell phone?????" :ughh:

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Is radio interference a common problem with dashcams, and are there specific cautions or is it a matter of model or luck? A friend of mine wants to get a camera and I haven't got around to getting one myself so I don't have any direct experience. Some googling about suggests that its mostly a problem with HD digital radio and maybe how its wired into the car?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I get some noise from the alternator occasionally but that's it. No video interference, just slight buzzing in the audio sometimes.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
I think she was asking about the camera causing noise in the radio as opposed to noise on the camera itself.

(I know, radio, right?)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Unless you do a lovely job wiring it in I strongly doubt it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Seems like that would be a function of how crappy the power supply for the camera is. I've seen some phone/etc chargers that buzz up the radio, because they're bargain basement chinese garbage. Usually dash cams are 5V, so they'll need some sort of power supply somewhere, so I'm guessing that whichever one your friend has is probably kind of crap.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
IIRC the G1Ws were pretty well known for having a noisy switching power supply that is audible on an AM radio signal. Same reason AM radio gets fuzzy near big power lines. My old TomTom did the same thing, if it was pulling a lot of power it could even be heard on my aux input. Shouldn't affect FM or digital to any significant extent though. I certainly haven't noticed any difference with mine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I bought a separate 5V5A supply from eBay, ferrite beaded all the connections, and put it on a relay to the battery.

Every other power supply wrought havoc with literally the only channel I listen to, 91.5 KJZZ.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
My Mobius will kill a GPS signal if you place it within 4" of a satnav

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My wife's Cobra 840 (iirc) completely kills all FM band reception in her car when turned on. We need to put some ferrite beads on it eventually because it's really annoying.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
My SG9665GC install with a Cell Power CPUSB01 adapter caused some minor interference on only one station (WCRB). Of course that's the only station my dad listens to. I made sure to wire the power cable down the opposite A-pillar that the radio antenna cable was in too. Some random forum said that WCRB has a lovely weak transmitter so I'm going to go ahead and blame them :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

WCRB? I listen to them a lot of days... :corsair:

Apparently they transmit at 27kW ERP, while the related station WGBH is at 98kW ERP. I can't think of any other stations to look up, but I think ~100kW is pretty normal for FM broadcast.

e: wow no I'm wrong, 100kW is pretty high around here. Most stations seem to be in the sub 30kW range. Antenna height and surrounding geography also play a huge part, but that's neither here nor there for this thread.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 1, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a KJZZ sticker on my toolbox. :hfive:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Base Emitter posted:

Is radio interference a common problem with dashcams, and are there specific cautions or is it a matter of model or luck? A friend of mine wants to get a camera and I haven't got around to getting one myself so I don't have any direct experience. Some googling about suggests that its mostly a problem with HD digital radio and maybe how its wired into the car?

I think interference with digital radio is fairly standard for dashcams. I tried running power to mine in various ways and with varying amounts of ferrules and caps. Couldn't stop it killing all channels on my DAB radio :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My nuke the earth policy with power supplies is a ground isolator. But sometimes the cheap Chinese circuit design is too strong.