Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Killing Joke Is Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yes. The movie. The book is very good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like calling the movie bad is a huge understatement. You can't even make the case that it has good voice acting because the voice direction is poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like calling the movie bad is a huge understatement. You can't even make the case that it has good voice acting because the voice direction is poo poo.

The dialogue just sounds awful and tedious and way overdone when spoken anyway, even by big ol' nerd Hamill who was probably really excited to do it. Reading and listening are two very different contexts.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It is kind of hilarious that at a time when comic properties are making more money than ever at the box office (and on TV I guess) comic animation is at its worst point in over 20 years.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

It is kind of hilarious that at a time when comic properties are making more money than ever at the box office (and on TV I guess) comic animation is at its worst point in over 20 years.

Return of the Caped Crusader was pretty good. Okay, the animation wasn't the best but the voice acting was great and it was just fun.

Lego Batman also looks kinda good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm pretty much only looking forward to more Adam West Batman movies from DC's DTV stuff.

Everything that takes place in this animated continuity they have going on has been an utter snooze fest, especially Justice League vs Teen Titans, and I can't imagine Justice League Dark or Judas Contract will be any better.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Ultimate Spider-man ended today. All in all, the second half of the show became decent to good. The ending wasn't really too amazing, but it hit some nice notes and was conclusive as hell, which I think is a first in Spider-man animated history.

Tackling huger villains and stuff from much later in Spidey's life was interesting, but I'm ready to go back to a more street-level kinda adventures to start with.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Constantine is back

quote:

The DC Comics drama, which was most recently adapted for TV by NBC, will return as an animated series on CW Seed, it was announced Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour.

Matt Ryan, who starred in the short-lived NBC drama, will voice the lead character.

The animated series will consist of five or six 10-minute episodes that will premiere during the 2017-18 TV season. On CW Seed, Constantine joins fellow animated DC Comics series Vixen, which launched its second season in October. Like Vixen, which is set in the Arrow universe that consists of CW live-action dramas Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Constantine has crossed over with Arrow in the past.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/constantine-animated-series-at-cw-seed-961873

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Constantine-sama

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Ultimate Spider-man ended today. All in all, the second half of the show became decent to good. The ending wasn't really too amazing, but it hit some nice notes and was conclusive as hell, which I think is a first in Spider-man animated history.

Tackling huger villains and stuff from much later in Spidey's life was interesting, but I'm ready to go back to a more street-level kinda adventures to start with.

The 90's one had a pretty conclusive ending, it was a basically a proto-Spider-verse thing and in the final episode he meets Stan Lee. Spectacular ended on a loving downer that was pretty obviously just to make an interesting status quo for the start of a third season that never came.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 8, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know, wasn't the point of Peter's weird dimension traveling to find MJ and by the end of the show he hadn't?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know, wasn't the point of Peter's weird dimension traveling to find MJ and by the end of the show he hadn't?

Yeah, the last shot of the series is Spiderman and Madam Web departing on a new trip to find Mary Jane and bring her back home for good. So yeah, hardly a conclusive ending. For a while there was a persistent rumor that Spiderman Unlimited was the continuation of that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

I could have sworn he rescued her.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You might be thinking of that Hydro-man clone.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
That show got really loving weird at times.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The main things I remember about 90s Spider-Man are:

1. The Secret Wars arc
2. Meeting Stan Lee
3. People falling into portals instead of dying
4. SHOOOOOOOOOOOCKER!!!! I WILL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. The episode names were stuff like "Sins of the Father: Book 4: Part VIII: The Sequel
6. "I ran out of web!" *Cut to commercial*

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah, the last shot of the series is Spiderman and Madam Web departing on a new trip to find Mary Jane and bring her back home for good. So yeah, hardly a conclusive ending. For a while there was a persistent rumor that Spiderman Unlimited was the continuation of that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It's a pretty conclusive ending in my book. Sure, they could've had the big emotional reunion with Mary Jane, but considering how badly Fox censored their attempts at romantic subplots it probably would've been really anti-climactic. It's safe to assume Madame Web took him directly to Mary Jane and everyone lived happily ever after.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Roth posted:

1. The Secret Wars arc
2. Meeting Stan Lee
4. SHOOOOOOOOOOOCKER!!!! I WILL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. The episode names were stuff like "Sins of the Father: Book 4: Part VIII: The Sequel

Dr. Octopus' arms always smashing into that same wall of crates, year after year.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Dr. Octopus' arms always smashing into that same wall of crates, year after year.

This one time, inside of Fisk's huge office, the Kingpin punched Spider-man into that crate room, with Ock's huge evil machine glowing in the background.

I'd say the 90s one had it best compared to others, but there were plans for actually getting MJ and it still ends with Peter never actually reuniting with MJ, who at that point had missed over half the show.
Was it the original MJ or the Hydro Man/Warren Clone who had accidentally been put in the Baron Mordo Cult when trying to find her dad?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I still hear Greg Brady's Spider-Man voice in my head when I read comics.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Roth posted:

1. The Secret Wars arc
2. Meeting Stan Lee

Don't forget

7. "PLAAAAAAAAAAAAASMA!"

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Dexie posted:

Don't forget

7. "PLAAAAAAAAAAAAASMA!"

Those hands freaked me the gently caress out when I was 9.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The sucker hands were way creepier than just fangs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The sucker hands were way creepier than just fangs.

They really were. Frankly they should have dragged that poo poo over to the comics because it is way better than just Crappy Vampire.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The plasma hands were scary as poo poo and since I didn't know anything about Morbius, I had no idea that they were the product of censorship. I remember that show had a surprising number of other Marvel guys show up. Blade, Punisher, The Avengers. Also "Power of Web-Shooters....get real sticky!"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SonicRulez posted:

The plasma hands were scary as poo poo and since I didn't know anything about Morbius, I had no idea that they were the product of censorship. I remember that show had a surprising number of other Marvel guys show up. Blade, Punisher, The Avengers. Also "Power of Web-Shooters....get real sticky!"

Are there any major Marvel guys that DIDN'T show up? I'm pretty sure most of the big Marvel names appeared at least once.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I remember that they had dormmamu show up in the last season, with carnage working for him no less! They couldn't show him killing anyone, so he had the ability to drain people's "life force.

Unmature posted:

I still hear Greg Brady's Spider-Man voice in my head when I read comics.

Same. He did a good job though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dexie posted:

Are there any major Marvel guys that DIDN'T show up? I'm pretty sure most of the big Marvel names appeared at least once.

I don't think Iron Man or the FF ever showed up, but they had they're own cartoons at the time I think.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I don't think Iron Man or the FF ever showed up, but they had they're own cartoons at the time I think.

They're both in the Secret Wars episodes but Storm reps for all the x-men, which seems lame. I guess they were busy with something else.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Jack Gladney posted:

They're both in the Secret Wars episodes but Storm reps for all the x-men, which seems lame. I guess they were busy with something else.

I feel like I remember hearing that there was a bigger X-Men crossover planned?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Skwirl posted:

In addition to Secret Wars, Iron Man and War Machine are in the episodes that feature Carnage.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like I remember hearing that there was a bigger X-Men crossover planned?

For some reason, all of the X-Men weren't available which meant they had a few slots to fill. So they bought in the entire FF rather than just the Human Torch, and a few others. I think the initial premise of SW was Spider-Man + X-Men.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They did have a series of episode which was a crossover with X-Men. All of the main ones showed up.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
For Secret Wars, wasn't it that the X-Men VAs were in Canada, except for the lady who played Storm who was based in LA, and they couldn't afford to fly them down or similar?

Thus, she was unable to MEET THEM AT THE MONORAIL!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I do dig that Spidey's logic for bringing Storm was that she had the hugest power level of the whole X-Men team. ...and that weather powers would totally be enough to beat THE BEYONDER...

But he also blew 4/7 team slots in the entire Fantastic Four.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Metalshark posted:

For Secret Wars, wasn't it that the X-Men VAs were in Canada, except for the lady who played Storm who was based in LA, and they couldn't afford to fly them down or similar?

Thus, she was unable to MEET THEM AT THE MONORAIL!

Very little voice work is done with all the actors at once so while this may be true, it also has nothing to do with anything.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Very little voice work is done with all the actors at once so while this may be true, it also has nothing to do with anything.

It still could be the case. Telecommunications weren't even close to what we have now then so recording at a distance was very difficult. They used to fly Bernadette Peters from NY to LA every time she had to record for Animaniacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I do dig that Spidey's logic for bringing Storm was that she had the hugest power level of the whole X-Men team. ...and that weather powers would totally be enough to beat THE BEYONDER...

But he also blew 4/7 team slots in the entire Fantastic Four.

How is that blowing slots? They're kind of handy to have around when you're stuck in a weird extradimensional clusterfuck.