Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also the "face" of VR Palmer Luckey is probably going to be fired by Facebook. Just a year ago he was on the cover of Time. It's a huge shitshow.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Nobody is buying VR anymore. Maybe there will be a new generation a couple years from now that will do better, but it will most likely remain a very niche product, like flight simulator sticks and other dedicated gamer crap.

But all those things will take off once Star Citizen fully releases!

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

But all those things will take off once Star Citizen fully releases!

We did need something to fill the vaporware void left behind after Duke Nukem Forever got released.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bean_shadow posted:

Cracked is not that bad of a site. I don't think that's an unpopular opinion as a whole since it gets traffic but goons seem to hate it.

It's good bus ride/toilet reading

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's good bus ride/toilet reading

That's what I use these forums for.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
cracked would be better if they did things other than lists

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
What is a list if not an article with a clear order/divisions?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Mu Zeta posted:

Also the "face" of VR Palmer Luckey is probably going to be fired by Facebook. Just a year ago he was on the cover of Time. It's a huge shitshow.

Every few years it's "New virtual reality technology breakthroughs! The future is here!" then they give out some price points and everyone loses interest. I wish tech companies would just give it up all together, spend that time and money on making better video games or something.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Buzzfeed is a good website, and BuzzfeedVideo has likable characters in an easy-to-digest video format.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

bean_shadow posted:

Cracked is not that bad of a site. I don't think that's an unpopular opinion as a whole since it gets traffic but goons seem to hate it.

it's pretty much airplane literature but a website, if you're killing a few minutes at work it's pretty alright but I guess that isn't high praise either

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hard counter posted:

it's pretty much airplane literature but a website, if you're killing a few minutes at work it's pretty alright but I guess that isn't high praise either

Yeah, Cracked is an entertaining thing good for killing spare time. A lot of it is actually decently researched and I've learned some neat historical tidbits from it.

Is it literary brilliance? No. It's just click baity bullshit that manages to not be terrible.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Low Desert Punk posted:

Buzzfeed is a good website, and BuzzfeedVideo has likable characters in an easy-to-digest video format.

dont troll

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Nobody is buying VR anymore. Maybe there will be a new generation a couple years from now that will do better, but it will most likely remain a very niche product, like flight simulator sticks and other dedicated gamer crap.

Wanna provide some stats on that? Afaik the Sony one has consistently sold extremely well. The other ones are super expensive and as niche as you'd expect.

I agree this generation of VR will not be the one to sell the general gaming public on it, but people that think it's going to be a total flop are delusional IMO. I think it's going to be huge within the next 5 years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

spit on my clit posted:

cracked would be better if they did things other than lists

They do.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

4 Reasons I (Do Not) Like Cracked (Anymore)

4. Parenthesis Everywhere

Do you see that? Do you see the title of the article? Why is it like that? There's no reason for it! Now for 9 more paragraphs about this. Which brings me us to my our next point:

3. You Don't Even Need To Read The Article

Just look at the titles you dumb poo poo. Everything you need to know is in them. There is no ambiguity. It is a good way of avoiding being clickbait, but makes reading the content completely unnecessary. Unless you really love wacky random zany humour.

2. Advertisements All Over The Place

Do you browse Cracked on a computer? Well, good luck reading one article without it overheating and crashing. They're not static advertisements, or even popups. No, they're constantly moving, constantly rotating, video advertisements. And they are just everywhere. They leak through your speakers and cover your floor. Try to scroll down. We dare you.

1. Spoiler Alert

Now we put this last on the list, even though it's number one so it should be first but who the gently caress knows how our rating system works? Anyway, we're gonna go ahead and ruin some movies for you that you haven't seen. What's that? (typing as though speaking to the one reading it) Oh no! We're not going to ruin old movies. Of course not! Everyone knows Darth Vader is Yoda and stuff! No, we're going to spoil poo poo that came out three weeks ago!

We hope you enjoyed our listicle, and tune in next week for our listicle about why listicles are bad and dumb!

yo rear end is grass writes for who the gently caress even cares anymore if you're still reading at this point make better decisions in your life

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Cracked is basically just Buzzfeed for people who think they're too smart for Buzzfeed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Buzzfeed News is genuinely a good news source with well researched articles. They had an exposé about rigged tennis matches that was really good.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake/the-tennis-racket?utm_term=.qmwLLW2qK#.vvnxxoW5D

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The only Cracked article I legitimately remember was where the author tried old 40's/50's gelatin recipes, like tuna and pea mash Jell-O. He wrote the article as though he were slowly being driven insane and the ending became panicked schizobabble.
Otherwise yeah, I read them while waiting and forget them 15 minutes later.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oldpainless posted:

Well they are not disrespected by me, friend.

Thank you friend.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Agreeing that VR is pretty much a failure. It's just not something that people really want. And the technology, as it exists right now, still kinda sucks. It's not very immersive and you're still standing in your living room with a dumb headset on. It's not the Matrix or anything like that. So it doesn't even deliver on its promise. I've tried to engage with pro-VR people in the VR thread in Games subforum, but theyre convinced I'm a troll and I get nowhere.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Blue Star posted:

Agreeing that VR is pretty much a failure. It's just not something that people really want. And the technology, as it exists right now, still kinda sucks. It's not very immersive and you're still standing in your living room with a dumb headset on. It's not the Matrix or anything like that. So it doesn't even deliver on its promise. I've tried to engage with pro-VR people in the VR thread in Games subforum, but theyre convinced I'm a troll and I get nowhere.

I think the biggest issue is the price, really. That and it makes a lot of people nauseous. So you pay $800 on top of what you already paid for your computer for a fancy new peripheral that doesn't really improve the functionality of the game all that much. Oh also you might not even be able to use it because of the nausea. A monitor or two displays things in "good enough" quality so why bother? The price of a VR headset that can't play all that many games lets you buy a bunch of games instead.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It also takes up a lot of living room space, maybe more than setting up an xbox kinect. Which is a product that also failed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
We've already seen that people are perfectly amused by 8-bit graphics and watching movies on their phones; I'm not sure there's the demand for media at high technical quality the way developers wish there were.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's a good red title.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Wanna provide some stats on that? Afaik the Sony one has consistently sold extremely well. The other ones are super expensive and as niche as you'd expect.

Don't know about Sony, but the Steam VR adoption rates have enjoyed effectively zero growth since the summer.

I remember during the height of the VR craze people on tech podcasts were raving about converting entire rooms into VR playpens. Well, I guess if you are an ivory tower West Coast professional with that sort of resources to throw around, I guess I see why you would think VR was the light, but just lol.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 08:23 on Dec 30, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After spending quite a bit of time playing VR I am thoroughly convinced it is here to stay. I think naysayers are as off base as the people who think we are about to clear out holodecks in our houses. Why?

People love it. Everyone is fascinated by it. It is really a different experience that most people have not had and it appeals to people who normally aren't into games, but... it also has pretty much endless potential for people who like games. it's not a kinect or a Wiimote. it is actually something that makes games significantly cooler to play in the right environment. VR is genuinely a cool new form of entertainment.

Will it replace traditional video games? hell no. at least not for a long time. Right now I'd say it offers a very different experience from the average game. it's more like having a virtual theme park ride on your coffee table.

Right now VR headsets feel like a beta test for something we will all be playing in a few years. They are pricey and imperfect and lack the developer support they will eventually need but they aren't going away. They aren't 3D Tv's 2.0. They are basically one generation away from something a lot of people would want in their homes. Imo people that think it's just a flash in the pan are going to look like luddites very soon.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Any poll I can find has most of the respondents disinterested, and mind you those are on sites with audiences self-selected to be composed of people most likely to be VR enthusiasts and early adopters in general. This poll comes closer to having some sort of parity of positive and negative views, and that's only because the ambiguous / negative vote is eroded into a bunch of options.

https://slashdot.org/poll/2731/how-interested-are-you-in-virtual-reality-tech

You seem to have little perspective on what is actually popular in the wider population that isn't part of the tiny enthusiast gamer segment.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So it might be a cool product in 5-10 years? I'll be holding my breath I guess.

We already have big TVs for home and powerful smartphone for portable gaming/videos. I don't really see this third category taking off anytime soon. I'd definitely be more interested if it evolved past requiring a headset.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Unpopular opinion: trying to predict whether something is going to be popular later or not is a waste. Just wait and see. In its current form it's not interesting to anybody but diehard fans. You don't really gain anything by being an early adopter besides paying a lot more for something that isn't done yet. If you just wait for it to gain mass acceptance you get the benefit of paying a lot less and never being the guy with the useless HD-DVD player or a 3DO gathering dust.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Any poll I can find has most of the respondents disinterested, and mind you those are on sites with audiences self-selected to be composed of people most likely to be VR enthusiasts and early adopters in general. This poll comes closer to having some sort of parity of positive and negative views, and that's only because the ambiguous / negative vote is eroded into a bunch of options.

https://slashdot.org/poll/2731/how-interested-are-you-in-virtual-reality-tech

You seem to have little perspective on what is actually popular in the wider population that isn't part of the tiny enthusiast gamer segment.

That is an amazingly pathetic example. My experience was almost exclusively with people who can't stand video games and their reaction to it.

I'd bet 5 bux right now you have never even tried VR.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sorry that not everybody is going to slobber all over your dumb toys.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

So it might be a cool product in 5-10 years? I'll be holding my breath I guess.

We already have big TVs for home and powerful smartphone for portable gaming/videos. I don't really see this third category taking off anytime soon. I'd definitely be more interested if it evolved past requiring a headset.

It'll be like joysticks, flight sims, and what have you. Most people won't be that much interested in it. However, you'll have people that think it's neat as gently caress and want to play the hell out of it. For people that just want solitaire and click toys VR just isn't relevant but for fans of shooters and especially voxel games you'll see a bunch of adopters.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Sorry that not everybody is going to slobber all over your dumb toys.

Sorry I tried to actually engage you on some level sad, angry loving loser.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Sorry I tried to actually engage you on some level sad, angry loving loser.

I mean, you can pay me those five bucks if you insist, I don't care.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Keep on talking about how you want to murder/burn/rape pop stars or whatever the gently caress you where on about in the last thread weirdo, sorry I tried to explain why I thought a thing was cool without expecting the most autistic response possible.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You seem to be very mad, red and nude over a toy. Sometimes it's good to just kick back and relax.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No please go on about how you want to want murder people in graphic detail because they listen to music you don't like. You seem like a really well rounded dude. I'll pass the torch to you.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I got one of those cheapo vr smartphone viewers for xmas and have been playing around with it this past week (I only last night figured out how to integrate my bt gamepad which helps) and so far it's a fun gimmick gadget, but I haven't seen anything that indicates it will go anywhere until devs start treating it seriously.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Blue Star posted:

The reason you were laughed out of the VR thread is your posts really came off as a grouchy old grandpa waving his cane and going "them youngsters and their newfangled teevees, why in my days we listened to the radio and that is the way God intended!"

And croaking about VR being a dead end is really dumb when the technology is still in its infancy. Early flat-screen TVs were garbage compared to CRTs. Early portable computers weighed 30 lbs and had a screen the size of a credit card. Early cars were barely faster than walking. Neither technology is failed just because its early incarnations were far from perfect. We've still come a long way from Virtual Boy and CAVE systems.

Is the current generation VR going to be a commercial success? No. It's still enthusiast technology. But the nerds who buy it today are the ones funding the development of the next generations. If you don't like it you're free to not buy it.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Dec 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imo the successful AR/VR products of the future will be conceptually derived from stuff like the Hololens rather than the Oculuses etc.