Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

gfarrell80 posted:

So it is not about, oh, I dunno, technology being used to destroy planets (cold war/nuclear weapon allegory), the dangers of bureaucracy and power leading normal men to make inhuman decisions, defiance of technology and turning to human feeling, the hubris of technological power, combined with a compelling coming of age tale/hero's journey?
Did SMG say otherwise? Nothing about this contradicts him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Serf posted:

Jedi assassination attempt.

Yeah but he can't have said it was space magic or presumably everyone would know that's a thing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gfarrell80 posted:

So it is not about, oh, I dunno, technology being used to destroy planets (cold war/nuclear weapon allegory), the dangers of bureaucracy and power leading normal men to make inhuman decisions, defiance of technology and turning to human feeling, the hubris of technological power, combined with a compelling coming of age tale/hero's journey?

Do you have any idea how to connect what you see on a film to ideas that matter?

Also, going back to the Ben Kenobi 'kill vader' thing... It really wouldn't give our character Luke much agency or interest if he didn't make the decision to renounce violence himself, would it? If Ben and Yoda said 'you must face him and you cannot kill him', Luke would not be as heroic a figure when he tossed his lightsaber aside at the climax of Jedi. To reference a similar but shittier movie, this is like the Oracle in the Matrix telling Neo he is not the one. He has to walk the path himself.

You fuckers do not understand Star Wars at all.

Uh, that was my entire point about the kill Vader thing and while superficially Star Wars is an allegory about war (omg did you realize War is in the title?), it's also about a lot more.

"Its energy surrounds us, and binds us" after all.

Everything is connected. It's up to us to follow the threads to see how it all works.

Serf
May 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah but he can't have said it was space magic or presumably everyone would know that's a thing.

I assume most of the senators know the Jedi are legit.

For a certain value of legit.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

The "The Force Awakens takes place in a sexless universe" is a weird meme that people are just parroting straight from RLM. No one said this previous to the Plinkett video. Not every movie has to have a romance in it.
Finn shows an initial attraction to Rey because she's attractive, she's not into it, they nonetheless become friends who care about each other. Why is this so difficult to grasp? Without getting into conspiracy theories about how "the Chinese market" doesn't like interracial relationships.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

What's RLM?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

gfarrell80 posted:

So it is not about, oh, I dunno ... the dangers of bureaucracy ... ?

Governor Tarkin: The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away forever.
General Tagge: But that's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

Unfortunately, you do not really understand Star Wars.

But, more importantly, you do not understand McLuhan - because his statement that 'the medium is the message' is akin to the critique of ideology. It is not the plot content but the formal qualities of a work that are important. And that is a political statement that encompasses any of these minor issues you might want to talk about.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I don't think TFA is a sexless universe, it's more a universe where people are suspicious of and avoid sex where possible

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Soggy Cereal posted:

The "The Force Awakens takes place in a sexless universe" is a weird meme that people are just parroting straight from RLM. No one said this previous to the Plinkett video. Not every movie has to have a romance in it.
Finn shows an initial attraction to Rey because she's attractive, she's not into it, they nonetheless become friends who care about each other. Why is this so difficult to grasp? Without getting into conspiracy theories about how "the Chinese market" doesn't like interracial relationships.

FWIW I finally watched RLM's Force Awakens review (that's not really about Force Awakens) for the first time last week and I had been thinking it was a pretty anodyne romanceless movie before that so uh.... NYEH.

IDK about China but I think they opted not to go with a romance because they literally wanted this movie to please literally everybody and sex makes some people uncomfortable.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Nothing good comes of having sex. You end up having kids who dismantle your life's work, or get frozen in carbonite.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I don't know why you guys think TFA was sexless when Finn and Poe clearly have bedroom eyes going on in some scenes.

Support your OTP's people.

Serf
May 5, 2011

LEGO Genetics posted:

I don't know why you guys think TFA was sexless when Finn and Poe clearly have bedroom eyes going on in some scenes.

Yeah like that wasn't even subtext. Audiences picked up on it immediately too.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Lemme put it another way because I don't want it to sound like my beef is there weren't enough metal bikinis or sheer gowns. The character arcs in TFA are so broad-brush that they don't go beyond a level literally any human being can identify with, grown-up or child. Finn feels isolated/atomized and totally dehumanized as a Stormtrooper. He makes a friend in Poe, loses Poe, makes a new friend, gets Poe back anyway, there's a lot of celebrating and hugging and stuff. Rey feels isolated and abandoned, makes a friend, then goes through a string of parental figures, then leaves looking for another. Psychologically this is very uncomplicated, very universal stuff.

Contrast to the Prequels and there's a ton of interesting layers to the characters' relationships that all goes unsaid. Obi-Wan sort of gets saddled with Anakin at the end of TPM but does his best to be a mentor. Still, he never really sees himself as The Wise Teacher---to him, Anakin is his brother. Anakin however looks to Obi-Wan as a father, constantly testing the limits of his authority while looking for his approval. He feels this absence of parental authority and implicit in his dialogue with Amidala in Episode II is that he's looking for her to fill that role and also he really wants to schtup her. It's messed up, doubly so if you read an implicit "you two-timed on me with Obi-Wan didn't you?" in Anakin's lines when he almost strangles the life out of Padme. Of course he'd think that even though he ought to know better than anyone Obi-Wan is the Jedi's Jedi. All this decidedly not-PG stuff is implicit in the Prequels without being baldly stated, kind of like they never say the Naboo are settlers who pushed the Gungans into the deeps and took all the energy(?) for themselves but Episode I uses imagery and the unsaid (the characters' ideology---remember ideology is what you take as such a given it doesn't need to be said).

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 30, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay so I finally saw Rogue One (short version: holidays, family was over, both siblings have little ones who are too little to go to movies, so it took forever to find a time we could all go.)

It's kinda slow and oddly paced for a lot of it, but the final act is really drat good and more than makes up for it. Some of the stuff on Jedha drags, and Forest Whitaker ends up not doing much so I wonder what was cut there. It feels like most of the real visual imagination is in the big heist/battle at the finale, though there are a few cool things before that.

Also I'm just going to have to accept from now on that no role Mads Mikkelsen ever gets is going to be as good as Hannibal.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Poe is in like 5 minutes. I'm not even asking for full penetration

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
After watching Rogue One twice I'm starting to get annoyed at all the people complaining about lack of characterization or flat and boring characters. Most everyone seemed well realized, especially for a WW2 commando movie. I wouldn't compare it negatively to The Guns of Navarone, and what more could you ask for?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

R2D2 gets tons of action in those movies. He fucks the poo poo out of those death star computers and that door lock in Jedi.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LEGO Genetics posted:

That's nothing more than the Hedgehog/Prower phenomenon of ostensibly adult characters engaged in prolonged and intense bouts of presexual intimacy.

FN and Poe - despite being twenty- and thirty-somethings, respectively - are several steps behind Matthew Broderick's teen hacker in Wargames, who tentatively explores how it feels to take his shirt off in front of a girl.

For fans, the actual erotic appeal comes from the fact that Sonic The Hedgehog does not gently caress. Ever. He achieves full satisfaction just by staring at you with his massive hypersensitive eyes, and passionately filling his rounded belly with chilidogs. Poe and FN, likewise, will never move beyond hugging and trying on eachothers' clothes. They have no need to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's nothing more than the Hedgehog/Prower phenomenon of ostensibly adult characters engaged in prolonged and intense bouts of presexual intimacy.

FN and Poe - despite being twenty- and thirty-somethings, respectively - are several steps behind Matthew Broderick's teen hacker in Wargames, who tentatively explores how it feels to take his shirt off in front of a girl.

For fans, the actual erotic appeal comes from the fact that Sonic The Hedgehog does not gently caress. Ever. He achieves full satisfaction just by staring at you with his massive hypersensitive eyes, and passionately filling his rounded belly with chilidogs. Poe and FN, likewise, will never move beyond hugging and trying on eachothers' clothes. They have no need to.

what the hell

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I feel good about myself for having to google Prower.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I feel good about myself for having to google Prower.

:(

In other news, the first four episodes of season 6 of The Clone Wars are a real good arc and would have made a way better theatrical release than the one we got.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This is a phenomenal post.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Cinema Discusso > Star Wars: Passionately filling his rounded belly with chilidogs

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Nine and a half times out of ten, I can see where SMG is going, even if I disagree with it.

That Sonic bit was the point five.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Sonic is a cartoon character designed for mass appeal. He's hip (check out them kicks!), but friendly. There's elements in his design akin to the Staypuft Marshmellow Man----"something that would never, ever, hurt you." This is basically the main characters of TFA----they're "nice," "cute," "friendly," as opposed to all the cold and stiff Jedi, politicians and bodyguards from the Prequels that, according to Red Letter Media, had no personality at all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pull up. Pull up!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

For fans, the actual erotic appeal comes from the fact that Sonic The Hedgehog does not gently caress. Ever. He achieves full satisfaction just by staring at you with his massive hypersensitive eyes, and passionately filling his rounded belly with chilidogs. Poe and FN, likewise, will never move beyond hugging and trying on each others' clothes. They have no need to.
LOL chilidogs aren't just for stuffing his belly.
Poe's jacket is the protective covering keeping Finn from the STI of road weary star pilot. TFA is a safe move after all.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

When you're right, you're right.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder what Zizek thinks about Sonic.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Sonic spends all his time fighting a technocrat who makes war machines out of landscapes and animals so I imagine he is a champion of the proletariat.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Personally, I think that Sonic's the name and speed's his game.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Magic posted:

Sonic spends all his time fighting a technocrat who makes war machines out of landscapes and animals so I imagine he is a champion of the proletariat.

He's also an incredibly successful product of research marketting designed to perfectly appeal to western children, so while he's supposedly anti-industrialist he's no enemy of capitalism.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Schwarzwald posted:

He's also an incredibly successful product of research marketting designed to perfectly appeal to western children, so while he's supposedly anti-industrialist he's no enemy of capitalism.

Yeah. Also he is pretty obsessed with picking up gold rings, little scoundrel.

Ultimately I think the conclusion must be that Sonic moves too fast for labels to stick on him. That's why he couldn't do NASCAR.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Poe and Finn are enjoying a nice evening in a cozy Italian diner when an older woman walks up to them. "Which one of you is the 'goes fast' and which of you is the 'animal with two tails?'"

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Schwarzwald posted:

*Insert "There is No Ethical Consumption in Capitalism" Sonic Meme Here*

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Captain Magic posted:

Yeah. Also he is pretty obsessed with picking up gold rings, little scoundrel.

Yes, but capitalism forces everyone to hoard as much as they can for fear that they could lose it at any point. It's the perfect simulation of living just above the poverty line, fearful that you could lose it all at any moment.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the trick with the force awakens is that it provides exactly enough story to care about the characters ('fuckability') and exactly not enough story that you can write fanfiction of all of them having your favourite variety of kinky sex with each other

it's Harry Potter, in space

e: for what it's worth, the best TFA fanfiction is 'rey chucks kylo ren into a dumpster, stop shipping these characters' in as many words

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 30, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've kept thinking about that Star Wars sidestory pitch I thought of and by now I've figured out the basic structure and the plot, as well as the major characters.

I keep doing these things to myself, thinking up stuff that'll never be. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I have like 100 battered pages of notes and drawings for a Star Trek series bible crammed in a folder somewhere if it makes you feel better bud :shobon:

• Locked thread