Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I think the man might have an objection to being chained to a bed and regularly drained of semen for starters. Also it's not like anyone would actually let him do that impregnate everyone thing you mentioned, being able to repopulate your country before anyone else would be a hell of a thing people would fight over.

That was basically a Sliders episode:

http://sliders.wikia.com/wiki/Love_Gods

Iraq releases some virus that kills most of the men on the planet. The Professor points out to them that having 1 man breeding as much as they are (1 dickhead guy has been the breeder of the month for the last year) isn't a good thing for the DNA pool.

Also Australia didn't get hit as hard, so the US and Australia are in a cold war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_bottleneck

A severe genetic bottleneck would occur, leading to every child of the following generation sharing a lot of the same genetic makeup, making our species even more at risk to extinction via diseases and plagues.

Edit: Then there's also the inbreeding issue, but i'm not a geneticist. But in a world where over 99% of males or females have been lost, wars will be over sperm banks and fertility clinics/hospitals.

SmockJoc fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 19, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

it is posted:

It wouldn't be hard to impregnate lots and lots of women in one go though. If you have the most fertile women sharing that day's harvest you can have a happy, healthy male repopulate earth with a minimum of slavery-like conditions.

It's amazing how quickly these discussions go headlong into the trashcan.

SmockJoc posted:

A severe genetic bottleneck would occur, leading to every child of the following generation sharing a lot of the same genetic makeup, making our species even more at risk to extinction via diseases and plagues.

Yeahhhh, you'd need a good five or six dozen women or something to restart the human race right? Or is it even more demanding and in the realm of like, thousands?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

LISA thread no what is happening?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Golden Goat posted:

LISA thread no what is happening?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
SO hey I really enjoyed the LP of this game. It's one of those games that I'd been meaning to play, but got pushed off to the wayside until I just didn't have time. So thanks for this, VOD.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I guess I missed it in general Convo, but V.O.D., will you do Joyful as well?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
^ Pretty sure he said he would.

And while I didn't want to continue the previous conversation, I did find this to tie it back to the game.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

GeneralYeti posted:

SO hey I really enjoyed the LP of this game. It's one of those games that I'd been meaning to play, but got pushed off to the wayside until I just didn't have time. So thanks for this, VOD.
Same here. I hope I can catch the stream once it happens.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

It's amazing how quickly these discussions go headlong into the trashcan.

Yeahhhh, you'd need a good five or six dozen women or something to restart the human race right? Or is it even more demanding and in the realm of like, thousands?

According to the book seveneves, all you need are seven women, zero men, and one world-class geneticist to modify the fertilized eggs and create heterogeneity.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

TheObserver posted:

According to the book seveneves, all you need are seven women, zero men, and one world-class geneticist to modify the fertilized eggs and create heterogeneity.

And no ending.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Samovar posted:

It, like the Walking Dead and Fables, also kinda ended up sucking.

No it didn't. It ended long before those other two series, and the ending was very strong.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Exit Strategy posted:

And no ending.

Hey, it ended.

...a sequel hook is an ending.

Really.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lots of people itt don't know what genetical diversity is.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

When it comes to comparisons to other pieces of media, LISA reminds me of a cross between Children of Men and Mad Max.

SmockJoc posted:

This is why Ashkenazi Jews (like me) are at much higher risk for breast and ovarian cancer than the general population, as we're descended from 350 people from six to eight centuries ago.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samovar posted:

I guess I missed it in general Convo, but V.O.D., will you do Joyful as well?

He said something about early 2017. So look forward to that in mid April.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Inbreeding wouldn't really make things in Olathe too much worse.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

TheObserver posted:

Hey, it ended.

...a sequel hook is an ending.

Really.

Are you Neal Stephenson? Is that why he never ends a book, under any circumstances? Is this why CLANG failed?

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

Droyer posted:

Lots of people itt don't know what genetical diversity is.

Is genetical diversity different from genetic diversity? Does it make abstaining from reproduction a better strategy for the survival of the species than having kids with half-siblings?

TheObserver posted:

I love how you can tell that they came up with the title and wrote the book to justify it

it is fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 20, 2016

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
This was an amazing LP of an amazing game. Thanks for sharing the toxic masculinity with us!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Exit Strategy posted:

Are you Neal Stephenson? Is that why he never ends a book, under any circumstances? Is this why CLANG failed?

Anathem has a perfectly fine ending :colbert:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The ending to The Baroque Cycle is also OK.

REAMDE kind of has an ending but is garbage compared to his other work.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm only read Snow Crash and Seveneves, and I can't wait to see how the rest of his books don't stick the landing.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Just finished this game before dropping in on the LP and skimming through it, mostly to see what I missed. Decided for first playthrough to prioritize having every party member alive at once, but didn't get Ajeet because of a one-time use of drugs, didn't realize Geese was recruitable, and...to even get Buckets without losing everyone else you have to savescum, and I thought he only joined if you lost everyone the first time around, not if you willingly gambled everyone away until you won (tried doing that, but got horribly unlucky and everyone died before even getting close to the ten). Actually the first time I got there, I was fortunate enough to not have anyone die, so I thought you just always won it no matter what. I think that'd be better, it still works as an 'oh gently caress you can't be serious' kind of situation while still introducing the idea that next time it's going to be for real if you gamble them. As it is, yeah, that's not the best decision.

Wonderful game for someone as squeamish as me, hahahah. Terribly uncomfortable and unnerving, but it's been a while since a game has instilled that kind of feeling in me. It's great. Haven't played Joyful, and kinda hesitant to do so after hearing general consensus that it isn't really that good.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I saw on slowbeef's Twitter that someone is workin on a Lisa fan game and they just put out the first chapter of it

http://gamejolt.com/games/lisa-the-pointless/221705

No clue if it's good or not I haven't had a chance to download it

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Joyful is a pretty great addition if you want to learn more about the side characters, Buddy especially. I personally enjoyed it a lot, and I like that it isn't really a necessary addition to the game. You don't really lose anything from not playing it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If nothing else, the new music in Joyful is fantastic :sax:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Joyful is a game that you can tell Jorgensen didn't want to make but did so anyway due to Kickstarter obligations. I say it's still worth playing because it's quite good. It's just more flawed and has less humor than the Painful.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I saw on slowbeef's Twitter that someone is workin on a Lisa fan game and they just put out the first chapter of it

http://gamejolt.com/games/lisa-the-pointless/221705

No clue if it's good or not I haven't had a chance to download it

It's loving garbage

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

thevoiceofdog posted:

It's loving garbage

That's a shame. The subtitle "the pointless" made me chuckle and seemed to indicate the maker had the right attitude but welp.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

thevoiceofdog posted:

It's loving garbage

are you saying this because the game seems to be very much about garbage, or is it actually bad, and if so why

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Gyra_Solune posted:

are you saying this because the game seems to be very much about garbage, or is it actually bad, and if so why

From what slowbeef streamed last night it's just bad. Bad sound, bad writing, pretty meh combat. The art was not bad though.

There are a few parts that would be good if the writing behind those parts wasn't awful. I'd say just watch slowbeef suffer through it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Has Jorgensen commented about it yet?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

He seems to enjoy fanart of, shall we say, earnest but technically unsound quality. I imagine he probably would have nice things to say about it regardless of its quality.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
As a piece of fanart it looks pretty good. As a game, uh, I'll try it when it's done, I guess?

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012
Don't want to derail the covo here, but has the voice of dog said when he's rescheduling the stream to yet?
Also, did anyone ever find out why that shadow effect caused such massive lag in the stream?

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colorred posted:

Don't want to derail the covo here, but has the voice of dog said when he's rescheduling the stream to yet?
Also, did anyone ever find out why that shadow effect caused such massive lag in the stream?

Not yet, and a puny, girly-man laptop.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

thevoiceofdog posted:

It's loving garbage

Gyra_Solune posted:

No he meant that literally.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Not yet, and a puny, girly-man laptop.

the laptop produced half this lp and everything else ive done this year, it's quite good. but it has trouble running the 6 or so applications i need to stream at once, plus LISA. all it needed was some weird graphical bug i didn't know about to gently caress the whole thing up.

gonna try and do the marathon on a saturday or sunday, when i have time and don't need to rush. maybe the 14th or 15th. thats the current plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Update: Pain marathon will be this sat, jan 7th at around 12pm MST / 2pm EST

this time will be different

• Locked thread