Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Colbert is absolutely owning it right now with a serious monologue.

We've overdosed on the poison on politics this year. We drink a little of the poison to hate the other side, and it tastes good. And we've overdosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
"Grow the gently caress up"

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Don't forget - Special Prime Time show on Saturday, December 31st, 10/9c

They uploaded what appears to be a preview clip from the show a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI_ncxH2ta0

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

pwn posted:

Don't forget - Special Prime Time show on Saturday, December 31st, 10/9c

They uploaded what appears to be a preview clip from the show a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI_ncxH2ta0

Does this mean the return of the Late Night central time-zone countdown??

pwn
May 27, 2004

wa27 posted:

Does this mean the return of the Late Night central time-zone countdown??
I think the Central Time Zone countdown is gone forever :( NBC is feeding "Chi Town Rising," a badly-produced countdown from Chicago, for central stations. If last year's was any indication, it'll be good for a few laughs, unintentionally.

Oh, and I guess Seth will be "Live/Tape." Guessing Musgraves had to tape her performance.

Show starts in about 8 minutes

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Man, I miss Conan's countdown for the Central Time Zone.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
You could go to CNN if you really want a CST countdown, but considering that Don Lemon just threatened to get a nipple piercing on air, maybe you don't really want to.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Rumors said that Conan is dropping to one night a week, but Kevin Reilly says nothing's happening at this time

quote:

What's going on with Conan, is it shifting to once a week?

No, but it will shift. He has been doing a lot of different things in the last year. These videos he's been doing have gone to 20 million- to 30 million-plus and have gone viral. He's done branded advertising that has also had the same kind of virality. He's traveled the world with four specials a year, which we're going to continue to do next year. In addition to producing People of Earth for us, which we renewed for next season and has been a hit for TBS, we also announced a new animated show, called Final Space, that will be in production of next year. In addition, he's also been the face of Comic-Con and that's had a real success and viral breakouts as part of it. All of this is saying that he's beginning to evolve what his brand is and what it could mean as a talk show in the digital age. So we've been talking about formalizing all of this and taking it to the next step. He came to me a couple of months ago and said let's talk about how he can balance that with the rigors of a daily talk show. I think it may very well change, but he hasn't really got his hands around what will be. It's going to be up to him. I'm not forcing him to do anything. We have a deal with Conan through 2018 and you can anticipate it will be renewed beyond that; we're going to be in business with him for a long time. Television is going to continue to be a huge part of his presence but you can also anticipate a series of announcements between now and the upfronts [in May] that will shed even more light on what we're talking about.

Apparently part of these plans include starting production next month on a Clueless Gamer series. The interview goes on to say both he and TBS wants him doing a lot of stuff that has proven to be hits like the travel specials, interactive/youtube/VR stuff, etc, and the amount of time he spends on the talk show stuff may adjust based on what he wants to do with that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it'd be cool if Conan did a less talk show-y format. Not that I've actually watched his latest show all that much, TBH, but I'm under the impression it's basically the same thing as his previous shows, where the interviews were the least interesting part. Not that he should never do interviews, because sometimes magic happens there, but fewer of them would be a good thing.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

He's basically been doing the same show for 23 years straight, would be nice to get something different.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Conan should keep making his show, but then only air the scraps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ceCESeyFrU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wish he'd go back to doing Serious Jibber Jabber again. Aside from the travel shows that's the best thing he's done in years.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

X-O posted:

I wish he'd go back to doing Serious Jibber Jabber again. Aside from the travel shows that's the best thing he's done in years.

Well Charlie Rose has to die some day.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

piratepilates posted:

He escaped 2016, which I think means he's gained immortality.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

piratepilates posted:

Well I hope not.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

piratepilates posted:

He's basically been doing the same show for 23 years straight, would be nice to get something different.

All the best stuff he's been doing lately has been the online only material that surrounds the talk show. If he winds up doing less of the talk show in order to make more of that? I'm on board.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Space_Butler posted:

Rumors said that Conan is dropping to one night a week, but Kevin Reilly says nothing's happening at this time

Apparently part of these plans include starting production next month on a Clueless Gamer series. The interview goes on to say both he and TBS wants him doing a lot of stuff that has proven to be hits like the travel specials, interactive/youtube/VR stuff, etc, and the amount of time he spends on the talk show stuff may adjust based on what he wants to do with that.
If he's doing a Clueless Gamer series, is he really going to remain a clueless gamer?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

pwn posted:

If he's doing a Clueless Gamer series, is he really going to remain a clueless gamer?

Probably, there are a lot of genres.

Maybe they can ring up Karl Pilkington if necessary :v:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Probably, there are a lot of genres.

Maybe they can ring up Karl Pilkington if necessary :v:
Truth

Have some content, as we're on the subject. Reeeeally vintage Conan, third-ever episode, in startlingly good quality too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxRhYDlKw8I

And a great episode from a year later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0TBdmaY5N0

When I was a kid, I was able to watch Conan's first episode. I didn't start watching regularly until 1995 though. Only through YouTube uploads, have I found out about the funky greenscreen backdrop they often used for musical guests in the first year or two. By the time I started watching it was gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh1khdZW3vM

Type "Conan 1993" or 1994 into Youtube for lots more

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Sounds like one night a week on TBS, and daily youtube content going up. It probably sucks to be a talk show host in an age where you're only relevant if you can make viral videos on a regular basis.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, I've always had the sense that Conan wants to be Carson more than anything, which is mostly why he's stuck with the talk show format for so long and was so crushed when that whole Tonight Show thing fell apart. He's going to have to adapt now and face the fact that for the most part his interviews are being ignored and the other aspects of his show are the real draws now.

I think it's better overall because Conan is a master improviser so more of that is a good thing. Scripted interviews were usually either painfully boring or awkward. I do agree that the Scraps are far better and way funnier than just about any interview he's done since Late Night.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

wa27 posted:

Sounds like one night a week on TBS, and daily youtube content going up. It probably sucks to be a talk show host in an age where you're only relevant if you can make viral videos on a regular basis.
I don't think virality has to be the end game. It's just that none of the current talk show hosts are genuinely good at the meat-and-potato parts of the traditional late night show: interviews and monologues. Of course they have to make it up in some other way.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
No one cares about interviews anymore when you can read celebrity tweets about every second of their day.

The late night format is dead and boring and it's sort of sad how attached to it all the modern hosts are. These shows generate 5 minute YouTube clips and then a whole lot of nothing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Talk show monologues are just outdated, honestly. If you want to see stand-up comedy, you go see an actual stand-up comic live or online. And if you want a comedic rundown of the events of the day, the Daily Show "desk segment" format is arguably a better medium for it in our day and age. I actually think Colbert's most recent format has done the best job of adapting to this problem. He pretty much does a desk segment standing up, instead of doing a predictable stand-up "here's a bunch of setups and punchlines" thing. It's the next best thing, arguably, to just getting rid of the monologue altogether.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Space_Butler posted:

Oh poo poo, Kevin Reilly is in charge of TBS? That explains alot, I'm pretty sure he's the guy that brought FX into prominence.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
RIP Conarn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXXBnxUYujQ

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

colbert got crazy deep with charlie rose

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

colbert got crazy deep with charlie rose

Yeah, they went way inside baseball too. I expected the loneliness talk to segue into a rehearsed bit, but that it didn't was refreshing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So... what's the rule with CBS All Access?

Will Full Episodes starting now just be gated behind a paywall forever? Or do I have to wait a week? I can't watch last night's episode. And I prefer full episodes over youtube clips.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

So... what's the rule with CBS All Access?

Will Full Episodes starting now just be gated behind a paywall forever? Or do I have to wait a week? I can't watch last night's episode. And I prefer full episodes over youtube clips.
I don't know the answer, and I too prefer full episodes, but, it is nice that CBS uploads full segments to Youtube. NBC puts up clips and snip and it drives me mad. Colbert, they upload like 38, 39 minutes of a 41-minute show.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

What's the point of saying "Aaaand LIVE, on tape".

Just so some idiots miss the "on tape" part and think it's live? This is such a minor thing but it bothers me so.

"Annnnnd coming LIVE from Los Angeles, on tape in Wisconsin.. the Late Show!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I figured they were saying that in lieu of "filmed before a live studio audience."

pwn
May 27, 2004

Barreft posted:

What's the point of saying "Aaaand LIVE, on tape".

Just so some idiots miss the "on tape" part and think it's live? This is such a minor thing but it bothers me so.

"Annnnnd coming LIVE from Los Angeles, on tape in Wisconsin.. the Late Show!
They started doing that, I think, the week of the election. Colbert did two live shows on CBS that week and the announcement was, obviously, "Live from the Ed Sullivan Theatre..." For the nights which weren't live, they did the "Liiiiive... on tape" bit. Presumably as a joke. I guess it just stuck.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Now it looks like I can watch Monday and Tuesday's Colbert. Maybe it was an error?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/craic-ferguson-siriusxm-live-daily-show-1201970196/

Craig more or less gets to do a podcast where he does whatever the gently caress he wants and gets paid for it. I was so hoping he'd do something like this.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Megazver posted:

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/craic-ferguson-siriusxm-live-daily-show-1201970196/

Craig more or less gets to do a podcast where he does whatever the gently caress he wants and gets paid for it. I was so hoping he'd do something like this.

6-8 PM live show is not an optimal time for listening to the radio. Does sirius/xm offer a radio equivalent of a DVR or some sort of on-demand streaming of their shows? I'd be totally into this even willing to pay to subscribe if I can hear it whenever I want, like, when I'm driving. But I've got family stuff going on 6-8.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GutBomb posted:

6-8 PM live show is not an optimal time for listening to the radio. Does sirius/xm offer a radio equivalent of a DVR or some sort of on-demand streaming of their shows? I'd be totally into this even willing to pay to subscribe if I can hear it whenever I want, like, when I'm driving. But I've got family stuff going on 6-8.

They have a streaming subscription with on-demand access for something like $15.99 / month.

Free 30-day trial.

Edit: If you want on-demand in your car, the total subscription package is $19.99 / month.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bl34di2xY8

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Jon Stewart on Colbert tonight, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
For the first since his debut, Colbert tops Fallon in weekly ratings