Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

-Blackadder- posted:

How did Man in the High Castle Season 2 turn out?

I just googled reviews for it and the first link called it "the worst show of the year", and the second link gave it a 9/10.

I liked the first season well enough, though I found it quite slow.

Goon reviews?

I found it to be a pretty decent watch. Not the best TV by any means but it has enough good stuff going on to push past its flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McSpanky posted:

Did you get that from Hulu's "you may also like" recommendations? I watched "Volcanoes of the Deep Sea" (very cool and interesting doc by the way, lots of clear HD steadicam shots of stuff we usually get from blurry things stuck to a manipulator arm) and now I'm sucked into NatGeo's Continent 7: Antarctica and People of Earth is next. It's like wikisurfing but it takes up the rest of my week.

Nah, TBS was airing every episode last night and I coincidentally happened to catch it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

How did Man in the High Castle Season 2 turn out?

I just googled reviews for it and the first link called it "the worst show of the year", and the second link gave it a 9/10.

Was that first review from Vox? It's completely off base.

I liked it fine -- the season's a little slow at times, but never as slow as the first season. The last four episodes, after they dropped their previous showrunner, are pretty high tension and quickly paced, though they end up skipping out on one or two (very minor) subplots in the crush. The final two episodes are really loving good.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Spergatory posted:

And unofficially for Star Wars. That's an image floating around of her handwritten notes on her Empire Strikes Back script. Apparently, Lucas was always a hack and the only reason Han and Leia worked at all is because of the actors tweaking and in some cases outright changing their lines from what was in the script.

I saw that, but then I saw another version. Stating those were actually Irvin Kershner's notes. :iiam:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So I finally watched the Exorcist season finale. It finished pretty strong. There were some legit great moments in the finale.

It was only a 10 episode season (which seems to be a trend now, and a pretty good one), but honestly it should have been like, six. A lot of the meandering, lower-stakes stuff just wasn't very interesting and didn't work from a pacing perspective.

As far as I know, there's basically no chance it will be renewed, which is fine. While left open for a second season, the main story is concluded well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

raditts posted:

They literally never spoke of him again. He only gets an off hand mention later on when they loving let Lucifer out again

I'm not surprised but lol.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Snak posted:

So I finally watched the Exorcist season finale. It finished pretty strong. There were some legit great moments in the finale.

It was only a 10 episode season (which seems to be a trend now, and a pretty good one), but honestly it should have been like, six. A lot of the meandering, lower-stakes stuff just wasn't very interesting and didn't work from a pacing perspective.

As far as I know, there's basically no chance it will be renewed, which is fine. While left open for a second season, the main story is concluded well.

I felt like a lot of the slow stuff was fleshing out bits for the structure of the possessed group and wouldn't need to be done in a follow on season. So necessary slow bits. Too bad about the low renewal chances, I really liked it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Coffeehitler posted:

I felt like a lot of the slow stuff was fleshing out bits for the structure of the possessed group and wouldn't need to be done in a follow on season. So necessary slow bits. Too bad about the low renewal chances, I really liked it.

I don't mean the fleshing out bits. I mean that "generic requisite possession thing" happened way too many times to be effective each time. Like, how many times in a show can you be like "now the demon is going to torture someone to try to get what it wants"? It felt like they were worried if they didn't constantly put scenes like this in the show, people would say it wasn't exorcisty enough. Like half the mini exorcism scenes should be cut from the show. All they do is take away from the power of the ones that are crucial to the plot.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Does The Exorcist have a satisfying ending if it isn't renewed or are there a bunch of loose ends/cliffhangers left? The movie is one of my all time favorites but I avoided the show because it had early cancellation written all over it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watched ep1 of Travelers. It gave me bad Sense8 vibes at first but definitely got better. I just wish the exposition dump at the end of the episode wasn't so contrived.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

Does The Exorcist have a satisfying ending if it isn't renewed or are there a bunch of loose ends/cliffhangers left? The movie is one of my all time favorites but I avoided the show because it had early cancellation written all over it.

It's basically completely wrapped up, from a story perspective. There are some loose ends that would lead into the season 2 plot, but as an arc, it's very complete. There is no cliffhanger. The last episode is really good, and pretty much redeemed the show in my opinion.

The show is a rollercoaster of quality in general. There were multiple episodes where I was like "this is so loving dumb" during the first half, and then "okay wow, that was actually a cool direction to take this" during the second half.

It's not a great show, by any means. It's not even really a good show, but it does some cool things and accomplishes a lot more than I expected from it. Some of the effects are really great, some of them are mediocre.

It's just hit or miss overall.

edit: ^That's funny to me because Sense8 is really good, but the first 2 episodes of Travelers have been really boring so far. It's still promising. I'm gonna watch the third episode right now.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Took me 2 episodes of Travelers before I realized it wasn't Greg from Dharma and Greg, it's Will from Will and Grace

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who names their daughter Dharma

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

Took me 2 episodes of Travelers before I realized it wasn't Greg from Dharma and Greg, it's Will from Will and Grace

Jesus christ, how did I not notice. Also, is that guy a highlander or something? How has he not aged? Did Will & Grace run way more recently than I remember? :psyduck:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mu Zeta posted:

Some kind of Initiative.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

MiddleOne posted:

Jesus christ, how did I not notice. Also, is that guy a highlander or something? How has he not aged? Did Will & Grace run way more recently than I remember? :psyduck:
Ended 10 years ago. He's 53, so he's fair game for 2016.

Will and Grace is one of those shows that remains mysteriously unavailable for streaming.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's 53? Jesus, he looks fantastic.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Mu Zeta posted:

Hippies. That's like the entire premise of the show, iirc.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Dharma and Greg is the syndicated show I regularly watched on reruns as a kid that I remember the least about.

oh wait no, that's Mad About You. I can actually remember the plot of at least one episode of Dharma and Greg. This is the one where they decide they must win this object from another couple they are friends with. The couple that owns the object is the one that has had sex in the weirdest place (iirc the other couple did it on a ski tram). So Dharma and Greg plot to have sex on the steps of City Hall. They will get away with this, or so they believe, because the series finale of Seinfeld is airing that night.

I am pretty sure this is real.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So based on the last page or two alone should I put

Sense8
Travelers
The Exoricst
The Man in the High Castle S2

On my to watch list? How would you goons rate them?

VVV, saw S1, it was good, is S2 out yet?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 30, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Expanse

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Expanse season 2 starts at the end of January.

Sleepy Hollow comes back a week from this Sunday,

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMiwKhm3uI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFamedaS1g

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

Greg from Dharma & Greg is the one who was sacked from Criminal Minds for decking somebody.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Greg from Dharma & Greg is the one who was sacked from Criminal Minds for decking somebody.

That show is so messy behind the scenes and I can't believe it's still on.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It stopped being worthwhile when Mandy Patinkin left.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

raditts posted:

They literally never spoke of him again. He only gets an off hand mention later on when they loving let Lucifer out again

No they literally mention him several times

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Do the Winchester brothers show any modicum of care for him when he is mentioned?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Finished ep2 of Travelers. The dialogue and production are a little Canada campy but the premise and plot are top notch.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

The Expanse season 2 starts at the end of January.

Awesome, I had no idea.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lilikoi posted:

That show is so messy behind the scenes and I can't believe it's still on.

I've heard that when they sacked a member of the main cast for a season on instructions to reduce costs, they hired Rachel Nichols to replace her then wrote her out and she only learned she'd been removed when she read about it online.

I wonder if there was any behind-the-scenes nastiness that precipitated Shemar Moore leaving or Paget Brewster leaving and coming back. You have to wonder.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

-Blackadder- posted:

So based on the last page or two alone should I put

Sense8
Travelers
The Exoricst
The Man in the High Castle S2

On my to watch list? How would you goons rate them?

VVV, saw S1, it was good, is S2 out yet?

Sense8 has a lot of highs and lows. There's an overarching plot that involves a huge government/corporate conspiracy that isn't particularly well done but there are also individual stories for each of the 8 main characters. The story arcs for the African bus driver and the gay Mexican movie star in particular were absolutely fantastic.

I think it's worth watching despite the clumsy overarching plot for the individual stories and the cinematography. It's filmed in 8 totally different parts of the world and they do a beautiful job showing them off.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sense8 is great if you're a big softy like me and the personal emotional journals of the characters is something that works for you. If you are looking for something plot-driven, it's not going to scratch that itch.

I'm like 4 episodes into Travellers now, and... hmm. I like it, but it's bad. It's glacially slow. If the characters were being developed more, then the really generic and boring episode plots would be okay. If the plot was more engaging, than the mostly static characters would be okay. But despite good production values, good acting, and decent writing, the show is just kind of flat.

There are hints of quality, and I really like the few tidbits of character details we do get, but the episodes are just so boring. I hope it comes together soon.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

Sense8 is great if you're a big softy like me and the personal emotional journals of the characters is something that works for you. If you are looking for something plot-driven, it's not going to scratch that itch.

I'm like 4 episodes into Travellers now, and... hmm. I like it, but it's bad. It's glacially slow. If the characters were being developed more, then the really generic and boring episode plots would be okay. If the plot was more engaging, than the mostly static characters would be okay. But despite good production values, good acting, and decent writing, the show is just kind of flat.

There are hints of quality, and I really like the few tidbits of character details we do get, but the episodes are just so boring. I hope it comes together soon.

There's a mid-season climax episode coming up soon that is paying off the setup in the first episode so just hang on.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

There's a mid-season climax episode coming up soon that is paying off the setup in the first episode so just hang on.

Yeah, like, it's totally my poo poo, so I like it, but man is it a flabby opening.

I really like the little details, like The FBI guy being both unfamiliar and disgusted by consuming animal products. And the high-school kid (who's actually an old man) really loving corn for the first time.

The abusive cop ex-boyfriend is a good villain character because he's a giant rear end in a top hat, but he's not stupid. You can see why he's a successful cop. He puts things together well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first couple episodes of Travelers kinda bored me but yeah it gets very good after that. Definitely a sleeper.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm on episode 6 now, and it's getting there, but it took a giant step back when one time traveller had to explain to a group of professional time travellers, who had been groomed specifically for this operation, that their actions might change the future

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Yeah the lack of discipline a huge number of the characters in Travelers have is kind of alarming. Considering they're all highly trained for this mission, it's really bizarre how many go rogue, or just openly ignore the rules and do whatever the gently caress they want. You'd think they would try to filter that kind of personality out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Yeah the lack of discipline a huge number of the characters in Travelers have is kind of alarming. Considering they're all highly trained for this mission, it's really bizarre how many go rogue, or just openly ignore the rules and do whatever the gently caress they want. You'd think they would try to filter that kind of personality out.

I don't know if we ever get to see the future, but I bet they don't have much choice. People in the traveler program are all survivors, by the pure fact that they are still alive in the future to volunteer for the program. It's like they're all Kyle Reeses. So the discipline thing I kind of get. Most of them have probably been kicking rear end and taking names their whole lives. But how the gently caress do you become a time-prayer reciting traveler on a suicide mission to the past without understanding what a potential paradox is? the answer is you don't, they just picked the worst possible way to make sure the dumbest audience members understood what was going on. This is in the same episode where they explain what they are doing to a non-traveler, so it's really stupid they didn't fit the exposition into that conversation instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok friends this is your final reminder to get your lists in for TV IV's Poll of 2016! Voting has been extended to the end of January 2nd so there's still over 3 days to get your picks in! Get involved, you'll have a ton of fun! That's a Rarity Guarantee!*

Fun is defined as including but not limited to spontaneous smiling, light giggling, the sense of gratification when your favourite show wins, laughing at people picking anime, the schadenfreude of Toxxupation's anger as a show he hates ranks seconds, insulting Zaggitz, mild indifference and the dawning realisation that all rankings are meaningless in their subjectivity as we're all on a cold rock hurtling through space on a trajectory that inevitably leads into the sun

• Locked thread