Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

That sounds like a recipe for getting snatched and murdered
I volunteer my time in our local theatre community and currently am co-directing a production of Julius Caesar for our local Shakespeare company.

Just wondering if there are other goons involved in community theatre to commiserate with some of the challenges, and perhaps share brainstorming ideas and problems solve the unique issues that face community theatres (no loving money or resources).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
I was pretty active in my local one for awhile. Sort of drifted out when my circle of friends did. Haven't really done much else outside of a few Fringe shows in the last couple years.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

That sounds like a recipe for getting snatched and murdered

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I was pretty active in my local one for awhile. Sort of drifted out when my circle of friends did. Haven't really done much else outside of a few Fringe shows in the last couple years.

What shows did your local theatres put up? It feels like it's always a balancing act of doing stuff people have heard of (usually old and loving boring) and new stuff that's fun and interesting to direct.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Greek Tragedy posted:

What shows did your local theatres put up? It feels like it's always a balancing act of doing stuff people have heard of (usually old and loving boring) and new stuff that's fun and interesting to direct.

Kind of the same. Since it was in a super conservative small town, we couldn't do anything too "non-tradtional". Deathtrap caused a couple season ticket holders/donors to drop us, because the plot revolved around a same-sex affair. And the only way we could do Laramine Project is if we cut out every use of the word "gently caress". Someone brought up Rent when those rights went up for sale, but that didn't happen. They are doing Spamalot this year though.

• Locked thread