Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yes, don't tell them everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I agree with the 'tell them everything' plan. They aren't going to kill us, and they might have some useful insight.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

She obliges, and answers. "It's someone who works with [the first word again], making things from it." You try to remember the word she used. The stories Naman told you were full of words you didn't recognize or have much context for, and your study with him has given you an excellent memory, so you probably will remember it.

If we remember this word, ask our Dads what it is and what kind of people work with it.

Definitely tell them about the topless lady looking for Nerida.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

You can't quite remember all of them, only the one that the voice told you was yours.

drat, I should've asked earlier. MAybe we could've made a more informed decision.

They said the power reflects the bearer, so if we are good it doesn't matter if it came from a foul source...right?

Tell them everything, let's push the plot into overdrive

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 30, 2016

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Mini-update, and the last of the questions.

This is not the main update; I'll write that up and post it later today. This is just the update from the vote on whether or not to tell them about your Name search.

Chatrapati posted:

Daddy, are you a boy or a girl? I don't understand.
Naman shrugs. "I was a girl, now I am a boy. Don't worry about it, Gotril - you will understand it more fully as you get older, though I hope you do not need to take such extreme measures to hide in your future."

Chatrapati posted:

Muran isn't a monster is she?
Naman shrugs again. "There are those who would call her that, but she protects us and keeps us safe here, asking only our worship and that those who are called to it, be allowed to serve her. If that is monstrous, then there are many monsters in this world who do far worse things." You've heard stories about some of the others, and compared to THAT, Muran seems pretty mild - if she's a monster at all.

Chatrapati posted:

Are you a "lackey" dad?
At this, Orra laughs again. "Our daughter, asking the hard questions at such a young age!"
Naman gives him a scowl, then turns back to you. "Everyone serves something or someone, sweet. The only true choice we have is who we serve, and why."

Aades posted:

If we remember this word, ask our Dads what it is and what kind of people work with it.
Orra answers this one. "It's a kind of stone that can only be made by heating up other stones in a very particular kind of fire. It's very rare here in the swamps, so the People do not use it. It requires a great deal of strength and a lot of particular knowledge to make and shape. I wouldn't worry about it too much - you're not likely to encounter it again."

You take a deep breath, and quietly tell them that you need to talk to them about what you saw and did in your search for a Name. You tell the story plainly, and when you describe the woman, both Naman and Orra draw in sharp breaths in unison, exchanging a glance before encouraging you to continue. When you describe your encounter with the Stranger, and recount the conversation with him - and what you did - Orra reaches out to put a comforting hand on your shoulder.

"You are worthy of your Name already, Gotril. You did exactly what you should have done to him - my only regret is that you had to do it alone." Naman makes a quiet noise in his throat, but he reaches out and gently brushes your hair with one hand without speaking.

You tell them of the darkness, of the voice, and of the strange whispers you heard afterwards. At this, they both go very, very still, and Naman goes as pale as you have ever seen him. In a quiet tone, he turns to Orra. "Do you think -" Orra nods. "It sounds like mine, almost. But I knew whom I was speaking with."

They both turn back to you, and Naman speaks. "I would not worry about it for now, sweet. I cannot explain it - not yet - but I will pray, and ask Muran for guidance. For now, however, I must ask you to keep these events secret; if anyone asks, tell them about the crocodile, but tell them nothing else. If they ask, tell them you drew inspiration from the story of Gotril to escape the crocodile, and took the name from the omens of the incident. When you are ready, and when I have an answer from Muran, I will explain everything I can to you." He stands. "I will go begin praying at once. You look exhausted, sweet. Get some rest - Orra will make sure you are not disturbed."

With that, Naman leaves, and you are left alone with Orra. He makes sure that you eat the fish, and with your belly full, your exhaustion overwhelms you, and you fall into a deep and (as far as you can tell) dreamless sleep.

FrozenGoldfishGod fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 22, 2017

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

Four years pass, as they tend to. You grow a little taller, and start to fill out a bit - you're still lean and lanky, but your body is definitely changing, looking less like a child and more like a woman's with each passing year. Naman and Orra take turns taking you out on the boats with them, teaching you to hunt - and Naman continues to tell you stories. His new stories deal with the interactions between men and women more than they do with monster-hunting and great deeds, though there are plenty of those too. He also has started quizzing you on the medicinal uses of various plants, as well as on the meanings and morals of the various stories he tells you.

1. Naman asked you to keep the story of how you won your Name secret - do you?
A. Yes, I tell nobody about it beyond what he asked me to.
B. No, but I only tell my closest friends among the other children.
C. No, I tell a few of the adults about it.
D. No, I tell everyone about it.

During these years, you also start to notice that there are two types of people - boys, and girls. You always knew this, of course, but for some reason this fact becomes increasingly relevant to you. Your monthly bleeding started, and while you were upset and panicked at first, Orra patiently explained what was happening, and what it meant.

2. You find yourself increasingly drawn to
E. Boys
F. Girls
H. Both
I. Neither

During this time, you are also increasingly given adult responsibilities. While you spend at least a little time on each, you seek out opportunities to perform duties that interest you.
You have five votes to spend on this one. Allot your votes based on what you chose to seek out. The more votes you spend on a given activity, the more of your focus is put into that activity - 1 vote means that it's more of a hobby, while 5 means an almost single-minded devotion to that endeavor. In this, as in all votes, every point spent counts, even if it doesn't end up with the most votes.

3. During this time, you
J. Focus on learning the lore and stories Naman is teaching you. By the end of this time, you can often not only quote the specific moral of the story, you can tie it in to other similar stories to figure out not only what the overall intent is, but put together an educated guess as to why the moral is what it is.

K. Carefully study the medicinal qualities of the swamp plants around the village. By the end of this time, you can treat most of the more common sicknesses in the village - the harsh cough, the dry and wet fevers, the red-eye sickness, the retching shakes, and the more common forms of animal or snakebites - and you can treat the occasional infections that spring up when someone's cut is improperly bandaged or tended to.

L. Practice your hunting with Orra. By the end of this time, you can hit a target at a distance of twenty oarstrokes (about five meters, give or take) with a spear nine of ten times. You know which bits of which animals are safe to eat and which are not, can clean and butcher an animal in a boat or on dry land, and can stalk prey even in a boat without alerting it.

M. Practice your boat-handling skills. By the end of this time, you can handle a boat so skillfully that you can weave among all but the thickest of the root-knots that the swamp trees frequently form, letting you get to vantage points and escape dangers that cannot maneuver so adroitly.

N. Hone your tool-crafting and practice your boat-building. By the end of this time, you can make tools almost as fine as Orra's, and your boats are easily the equal of any other adult among the People. This also makes you many friends among the younger children, who are not yet allowed out on the boats, as your skills make their work considerably lighter.
Voting is open! Remember to read the instructions on 3 carefully, to ensure that you are choosing all the options you want.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A
I
K:1
L:1
M:1
N:2

I wasn't going to start voting in this one but eh.

Going for a full Vader character here.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 31, 2016

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
A
E
J:1
L:2
N:2

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

A
E
J:2
L:3

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

A I JJ MM N

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A
I
J
K:3
N

Absum
May 28, 2013

1. A
2. H
3. J KK LL

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

A
H
L5

Let's become a super hunter, should be useful if anything tragic happens and we'll have to survive on our own. I'm sure everything will be fine though!

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

1. A
2. E
3. L-3, M, N

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
A
E
JKLMM

I don't think we'd have told anyone, it's not nice to be ostracised in a small community.
As we grew older, more practical things became important. Navigating through the swamp seems crucial, and I think Gotril is too adventurous to sit around weaving boats.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

A
E
J 1
L 1
N 3

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

A
H
MMKLN

Being able to go places is nice, being able to eat fairly safely while we're out there and repair our tools is nice too.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A
E
JLLMM

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A

H

JJKKN

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

AHJKLNN

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

A
H
J KK L M

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

During the four years, you keep the secret of how you got your Name - and what happened around then - from the other villagers. When asked, you stick to the story Naman gives you, and they seem to accept it as the truth. After all, the boy who went out at the same time as you got his name from the word for a swamp bird that he followed for a few hours before catching it, and uneventful Name searches seem far more common than whatever yours was.

You've been noticing boys a LOT lately - something about them just seems fascinating to you, and endearing. While girls aren't without their charms, your attention is decidedly male-oriented - and a few of them seem to be going through something similar. However, the fact that you are still going out on the boats all day with your fathers limits your opportunities to explore this fascination further, for now.

Nor do you neglect your learning. You focus primarily on practicing your hunting with Orra, learning the ins and outs of handling a spear and a knife, using a net offensively and defensively, and especially maintaining your balance in the boat while hunting in one. You also learn stealth skills from him, and while you aren't as good at moving silently through the trees and over the scattered clumps of ground to stalk prey as he is, you are still far and away better than almost all the other villagers by the present day. By the time of the present, you are extremely proficient with your spear, knife, and nets, and fairly skilled at moving stealthily on land. You also are decent at keeping your balance in an unsteady boat.

You also spend a fair bit of time studying the medicinal herbs and flowers with Naman, and help him treat simple illnesses, deliver new babies, and tend to the various injuries. By the end of this time, you know a bit about how to identify, treat, and help with most medical situations, though with more exotic problems or more intricate situations, you are usually at a loss. By the present day, you can identify the most commonly-used medicinal plants, and their proper harvesting, preparation, and use. You can help deliver a baby safely, and can tend to most common animal bites or insect stings without requiring assistance, as well as deliver first aid to most other injuries without a problem.

The last major activity you focus on during these four years is your tool-making. You were already one of the better tool-makers among the children, and as you spend time in the evenings or early mornings tending to the tools, you get better at it yet. Stone knives aren't usually repaired, they're simply replaced - and by the present day, you've learned a few tricks from Orra. You can't make knives THAT fine just yet, but you can definitely make better ones than everyone else. You also learn to make and maintain nets and spears, and before long you're bringing your own handiwork out with you onto the boats. You also learn a thing or two about making the clothing your people wear from the hides and plants of the swamps.

Your current possessions are five fine stone knives that you made, four spears that you made, three nets made by you, and a boat made by you and Orra together.

You are awakened in the early morning by the sounds of Naman and Orra rising. You've not yet had time to make your own hut, but you are definitely looking forward to it. As you pull on your outerclothes over your sleeping-clothes (most of the People simply wear a short hide skirt to bed), you see Naman step outside - and then you hear him shout. "The mists rise! The Dead will come!"

Well, looks like you aren't going to get to eat today. Orra turns to you. "You're ready, sweet. We need you outside with the other adults, to help us fend off the Dead."

1. Orra has asked you to join him and the other adults outside to fight the Dead for the first time in your life! How do you respond?
A. Yes!
B. No!

2. How do you feel about being asked to help with this very important task?
A. Excited! You're finally going to get to help defend the People!
B. Proud! Your growing skills have prepared you for this, and now you're finally getting recognized for them!
C. Terrified! Fighting the Dead is frightening, between the moans, and the fact that they don't stop coming until you destroy their heads, and if you're out there, they could get you!
D. Fill in.

The next update will be a bit sooner than my usual 2 calendar days.

FrozenGoldfishGod fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 3, 2017

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

AB

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
AA

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

1. A
2. (Write in) Tension. Not just because it's our first time on the line against the walking Dead, but because we have no idea how things will be different this time now that we mercy-killed the Stranger. Grim determination, because it simply would not do for that kind of tension to stop us from defending the only home we've ever known.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

1. A
2. A

Excited to see if our hunting skills help with the undead. Hope the Stranger's powers don't cause problems!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

AB

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
AA

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

AA

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A
D: Excited to taken down the dead. And see is we have powers over them.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 3, 2017

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
AB

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Outrail posted:

A
D: Excited to taken down the dead. And see is we have powers over them.

Agreed.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

You pull on your clothes, grab your spear and knives, and run outside. You are excited, and proud, that the adults are involving you, including you as one of their number - and you want to take down more threats to the village! There's a twinge of nervousness in your stomach, but you ignore it. The mists are up, the air is hot and heavy around you - all signs that the Dead are coming. Most of the villagers are facing north, towards the water. As you look around -

- you realize that you can feel the Dead. Each and every one of them. They're coming from two directions - a small group from the north, and a much, much bigger group from the south. They're both advancing towards the village at the same pace - a slow shamble - but the ones to the north are nearer, and will get here first.

1. Nobody else seems aware of the group coming from the south - what do you do?
A. Shout, "They're coming from the south as well!" As far as you know, they always come from the north - it presents the easiest entry to the village.
B. A, but instead you quietly tell Naman and Orra, so they can act appropriately.
C. Get ready to deal with the group from the north first - if the villagers can fend them off fast enough, they'll be able to come around to deal with the group from the south.
D. Get ready to confront the group coming from the south alone. From what you understand, this is likely to be very risky.

2. When the Dead arrive, you intend to
A. Fight as fiercely as I can, even if this takes me away from the main cluster of villagers.
B. Stick with the main group of villagers.
C. Stay beside Naman at all costs.
D. C, but with Orra instead.
E. Try to seize control of the Dead directly. You have no idea how to do this, but you're sure as hell going to try.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
B, E

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
BB

Absum
May 28, 2013

1. B
2. B

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

B, B

Just caught up on this, very cool and interesting setting!

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

BD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

BE

• Locked thread