Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Electoral Surgery posted:

Can anybody recommend a pair of warm slippers/booties/etc? I want something to throw on quickly between attempts when I'm climbing in winter so I can get feeling back in my toes. A thick sole like the north face boots isn't necessary, but it would be cool if it could stand on hard snow/ice without soaking through.

"use the boots you hiked in with" is the obvious answer but they're surprisingly difficult to get on/off when I'm not wearing socks, and if I leave the laces loose I'm always tripping when one boot gets snagged on the other's lace hooks.

Goosefeet gear down booties kick rear end and would work. They make waterproof covers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
For some reason I keep coming back to the idea that there is probably a really lightweight solution involving a thin liner sock, an insole insert, a really warm pair of socks, a plastic bag, and a pair of microspikes, but I can't quite seem to frame the solution.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

bonds0097 posted:

Would a pair of Down Booties like Mountain Hardwear's fit the bill?

Hypnolobster posted:

Goosefeet gear down booties kick rear end and would work. They make waterproof covers too.

exactly what I was looking for, thanks

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I got my wife a pair of Feathered Friends booties a few years back and she absolutely loves them.

Christmas haul was pretty good this year. No big equipment since I'm pretty solid on that right now, but I loved my blue Patagonia Merino Air pullover so much, my family got me another one in red. It's seriously the most versatile long-sleeve I own.

I've wanted Mountain Hardwear's Ghost Whisperer for a while. The lightweight 800 fill jacket gets consistently good reviews, but that $350 price tag takes all the wind out of my sails. Luckily, Sierra Trading Post had the color and size I wanted at about half that price. While I do love it a lot, the cut on this jacket is more suited to Santa Claus than to me. I think I'm going to get it tailored, which is a little weird, but I think it will work fine.

Finally, FourSevens makes a stupidly bright flashlight smaller than a stick of chapstick. It's pretty handy and very lightweight. I think this one will be a regular part of my gear.

So what did you guys score?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

We bought a two week scuba diving trip to Bonaire. Two weeks without email or phones, considering my work schedule lately I can't put a price on that kind of peace.

I got my wife a Patagonia black hole day pack.

She got me a MSR microrocket, Colorado trail guidebook, and the Colorado trail data book. I guess she decided that through hiking the Colorado trail is a good idea.

I love Patagonia gear and consider everything I have ever bought from them a solid purchase.

We are currently trying to revive an old Patagonia jacket of mine by dying it black. The jacket used to be bright yellow but ten years of use don't leave a bright yellow jacket looking very good. We are at an acceptable splotchy dark green but it goes back in the dye again tomorrow.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Hungryjack posted:

I got my wife a pair of Feathered Friends booties a few years back and she absolutely loves them.

Christmas haul was pretty good this year. No big equipment since I'm pretty solid on that right now, but I loved my blue Patagonia Merino Air pullover so much, my family got me another one in red. It's seriously the most versatile long-sleeve I own.

I've wanted Mountain Hardwear's Ghost Whisperer for a while. The lightweight 800 fill jacket gets consistently good reviews, but that $350 price tag takes all the wind out of my sails. Luckily, Sierra Trading Post had the color and size I wanted at about half that price. While I do love it a lot, the cut on this jacket is more suited to Santa Claus than to me. I think I'm going to get it tailored, which is a little weird, but I think it will work fine.

Finally, FourSevens makes a stupidly bright flashlight smaller than a stick of chapstick. It's pretty handy and very lightweight. I think this one will be a regular part of my gear.

So what did you guys score?

Are you sure you got the Whisperer in the right size? I bought one recently and one of the things I like about it is the trim cut, which aside from looking nice makes for a warmer jacket.

EDIT: Got a mix of things. Some dive boots and a dive knife. Garmin Fenix 3. Titanium Spork and some accessory cord (stocking stuffer).

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

bonds0097 posted:

Are you sure you got the Whisperer in the right size? I bought one recently and one of the things I like about it is the trim cut, which aside from looking nice makes for a warmer jacket.

The L would have been good around the chest, but I fear the sleeves and/or the overall length would have come up a little short for me. I could return it and take a chance on a size down, but I think XL is the way to go. I love that I can cram the whole jacket into its own pocket.

EDIT: thanks for bringing this up. I took a closer look and checked out the sizing chart and it looks like I am going to return my XL for a L. I appreciate the suggestion.

Hungryjack fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 26, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the best way to forward-mount a GoPro to a backpack?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the best way to forward-mount a GoPro to a backpack?

Are you opposed to just using a chest strap?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Tsyni posted:

Are you opposed to just using a chest strap?

For the sake of this question, let's say yes. No chest or head straps.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's going to bounce around like crazy, but for the sake of staying out of your way, I'm thinking something like putting it on a small pole poking up out of the top of your pack and shooting from behind/over your head.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Peak Design's Capture system has a mount available for a GoPro, it clamps on to your shoulder strap and has a removable mount for various camera things. I've got it myself but haven't used my GoPro with it yet.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I see a boot attachment or GoProCodpiece in the future. :buddy:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

PRADA SLUT posted:

This has a bit of adjustability so you can set it how you like and keep it out of your way and mount on either shoulder. I have one I have used with a contour.
https://www.amazon.com/STUNTMAN-Pac...man+gopro+mount

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Any opinion on the Arcteryx Camosun?

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?country=us&language=en&model=Camosun-Parka#opi2519430096

I'm looking at it for a snow / wet jacket. I need something I can wear without a waterproof shell over it. Main use for cold snow or sometimes rain, but lighter activities like snowshoeing.

I like the fact that it's usable in wet conditions, and isn't massive and baloony.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I'm not down with insulated shells. I prefer the versatility of layers. But I guess that one looks pretty good if you're looking for one jacket to do both.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Insulated shells are kinda naff for anything but standing around :/
The camosun also lacks pit zips/vents so as soon as you move you're going to overheat, and you can't dump heat without opening it.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 30, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
That looks awesome as like an around town jacket, but yea you are gonna overheat like a bastard trying to do active stuff in it.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Yeah get layers instead. You could get an Alpha FL and Atom LT for about the same price and then you can wear one, the other, or both depending on conditions.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Guess I'll be the dissenting opinion. Looks like a great jacket for around town. It'll be more durable than a super-light shell because it's designed to be used more often. I've never been snowshoeing, but it's like walking right? How sweaty do you get walking? If he were going to do a serious hike, I'd suggest a layered system for sure. But town and some longer walks? That jacket will do fine.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Guess I'll be the dissenting opinion. Looks like a great jacket for around town. It'll be more durable than a super-light shell because it's designed to be used more often. I've never been snowshoeing, but it's like walking right? How sweaty do you get walking? If he were going to do a serious hike, I'd suggest a layered system for sure. But town and some longer walks? That jacket will do fine.

You don't need a $650 jacket for around town.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Snowshoeing is exactly like walking except your feet weigh a few pounds more and you're in freezing temperatures, often with snow falling. A jacket like that is going to result in you filling your pants with sweat or leaving it open and getting your front soaked from falling snow.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

gohuskies posted:

This is true, but if you have the means and the interest, then go for it.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Snowshoeing varies significantly based on the current and past weather, and surface conditions. It's rarely a lower calorie endeavor except perhaps compared to rough downhill. At 40F ambient you don't want anything more than breathable waterproofing, but below 20F you'll need more insulation... Conclusion: You want layers, and probably a separate shell.

Snowshoeing up to a ridge Saturday, sinking 6--12", but having to kick in for footing, and in excess of a 45deg slope, we were probably burning 1000kcal/hr. If you think that's "just walking", I want your genetics.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I'm a new hiker in Scottsdale. The trails around me are rocky and can be fairly steep at times. Are trekking poles worth getting, if so should I start out with something cheap or is it worth while to get better ones like these? I do have some past knee injuries that I've fully rehabbed, which haven't been a problem so far, but there have been some steep/slippery bits of trails where extra stability would be nice and possibly allow me to move faster.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 31, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Aniki posted:

I'm a new hiker in Scottsdale. The trails around me are rocky and can be fairly steep at times. Are trekking poles worth getting, if so should I start out with something cheap or is it worth while to get better ones like these? I do have some past knee injuries that I've fully rehabbed, which haven't been a problem so far, but there have been some steep/slippery bits of trails where extra support would be nice and possibly allow me to move faster.

Go cheap, imo. Buy a decently reviewed $30 pair from amazon. Poles are great in any situation where there is slippery trail or mud, or steep uphill/downhill. I've been using a pair from amazon for the past year and a half and I did bend them when I fell in some mud, but they still work fine. They are made of aluminum. I had a pair of carbon fibre ones and one broke in a dry stream bed. You won't always use them, but you'll be really happy when you need them.

And get ones with flicklocks, not twist locks, or whatever you'd call it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I've never been snowshoeing, but it's like walking right? How sweaty do you get walking?
ok buddy

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Camping out for my first garage sale and I want to murder everyone around me. I was not built for this

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

Camping out for my first garage sale and I want to murder everyone around me. I was not built for this

Get the REI app on your phone so you can quickly look up items for details when you find them in the sale since all sales are final.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

If you think that's "just walking", I want your genetics.

I've been in fresh snow maaaybe 5 times. I have no idea what snowshoeing is like and said so. Apparently it is very different than I pictured and that particular jacket wouldn't be a good choice. I still think it's a fine jacket for around town.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

gohuskies posted:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Tsyni posted:

Go cheap, imo. Buy a decently reviewed $30 pair from amazon. Poles are great in any situation where there is slippery trail or mud, or steep uphill/downhill. I've been using a pair from amazon for the past year and a half and I did bend them when I fell in some mud, but they still work fine. They are made of aluminum. I had a pair of carbon fibre ones and one broke in a dry stream bed. You won't always use them, but you'll be really happy when you need them.

And get ones with flicklocks, not twist locks, or whatever you'd call it.

Ok, that sounds reasonable. I agree that flicklocks sound better, I have a bad history with twist locks and telescoping desk legs, so I'd rather have something that works and I don't need to think about. Thanks for you help!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

My wife and I are spending the New Year at the Grand Canyon. There is so much trash compared to the North Rim. :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gohuskies posted:

Beta AR is so sexy though

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Layers help you prevent hypothermia because it helps you avoid sweating during winter activities. You really don't want to sweat in the cold outdoors.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

The Aardvark posted:

My wife and I are spending the New Year at the Grand Canyon. There is so much trash compared to the North Rim. :(

So many more people compared to the north rim.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Proposed to my girlfriend while out camping for New Years. We were totally alone because it was cold as hell, which was perfect. The forecast for the town below was rain, but we were on a mountain peak, so we got snow instead. Y'all, I really love the outdoors (and my new fiancee).

Picnic Princess posted:

Layers help you prevent hypothermia because it helps you avoid sweating during winter activities. You really don't want to sweat in the cold outdoors.

Layering is so important, and it makes so much sense once you've gone from "so cold my whole body is numb" to "hot as gently caress, and I have to get out of these clothes now" in the span of a few minutes. I was cycling through 6 layers this weekend.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Proposed to my girlfriend while out camping for New Years. We were totally alone because it was cold as hell, which was perfect. The forecast for the town below was rain, but we were on a mountain peak, so we got snow instead. Y'all, I really love the outdoors (and my new fiancee).

Aww, congratulations! That is the best way to do it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Super tempted to buy a new 1 man shelter...I'll probably try to do some short solo trips this year to work around the whole issue of having a kid now, but don't really need to carry a 42 oz 2 person tent.

Intrigued by a ultralight bivy and tarp I can pitch with just one pole...Six Moon Designs has an interesting poncho/tarp shelter thing that could do away with the need for a rain jacket as well but I kind of want to get a closer look at how it works. Reviews look good for it though. Whole setup w/ the bivey would probably be sub 20 oz

But we'll see how things shake out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

Super tempted to buy a new 1 man shelter...I'll probably try to do some short solo trips this year to work around the whole issue of having a kid now, but don't really need to carry a 42 oz 2 person tent.

Intrigued by a ultralight bivy and tarp I can pitch with just one pole...Six Moon Designs has an interesting poncho/tarp shelter thing that could do away with the need for a rain jacket as well but I kind of want to get a closer look at how it works. Reviews look good for it though. Whole setup w/ the bivey would probably be sub 20 oz

But we'll see how things shake out.

I'm really curious to find out which one(s) you're looking at and whether they run into any condensation issues when you use them. Obviously, there are a lot of variables at play.