Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

:ironicat:

So, if any major comic movie is going to get hugely positive reviews, why did Batman v Superman get smashed in reviews?

Because it was a poo poo movie. The review percentage doesn't matter. It still made hundreds of millions of dollars, which is not something any other non-comic book movie rated ~25% positive would have ever made. The negative reviews were part of the marketing, people thought "how could a movie with my favorites batman AND superman be bad?".

Besides, my point was more directed at oscar-bait movies. Movies with no merit that are only made to win awards. Name a best picture winner since 2002 that was actually a good to great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Return of the King wasn't exactly oscar bait, although the LoTR movies are boring as gently caress.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm talking about serious movies, not idiotic comic book movies. Any movie with "vs" in the title is doomed. It will still make money though because somehow hollywood convinced people that comic book movies = worth seeing so they will watch literally anything as long as it has the comic book logo on it. Batman vs Superman still grossed over 300 million dollars, and it's not because the movie was good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kramer_vs._Kramer

I think that one did pretty well.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Fellowship got robbed for "Best adapted screenplay" a few years before that though by Gosford Park. When your script is "based off an idea by" the writer/director, that doesn't count as an adaptation. Of all the Jackson Tolkien adaptations, Fellowship is probably the closest to the source material in both plot and appearance on the other hand. Then again, most of the Oscars any more are making up to people/movies that get robbed by robbing someone more deserving of the award in subsequent years and giving it to the earlier rob-ee.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I think it is very clear by now that the reviewing industry in general whether it is music, movies, or literature, is a bought and paid for industry. If you paid your dues to the media and greased the right wheels, your mediocre movie is on the way to a guaranteed oscar nomination. Honest media is dead and it's never coming back.

So everyone who likes and respects Kanye as an artist is just deluded because the lamestream media has been tricking us for all these years?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Pick posted:

Most fetishes are gross and weird

Fetishes are extremely good, actually

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I have nothing against people who have weird fetishes, but at the same time if you have a really weird fetish I think it's ok for someone to make fun of it. Like if your fetish is that you like farting on balloons that's really weird and you should have enough self awareness to know that it's a weird fetish. I would never argue for making weird fetishes illegal or anything though.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

The negative reviews were part of the marketing, people thought "how could a movie with my favorites batman AND superman be bad?".

Name a best picture winner since 2002 that was actually a good to great movie.

The marketing people paid for bad reviews?

Birdman.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
No country for old men was fantastic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Spotlight was excellent

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Yeah, and? You didn't like it, critics did. Doesn't mean the game is rigged, just means not everyone shares your taste.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The thing is yeah there are a lot of issues with the film review world as well as the award shows. But just going they are all bought and paid for and I don't like them but everyone else does is silly as hell.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Birdman, Slumdog Millionaire, No Country for Old Men off the top of my head.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Artist more like The Fartist

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Fetishes are extremely good, actually

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not a fan, huh?

Oh, I don't mind some good ol' Taylor Swift. My wife does though. The "artist" bit is what really gets to her.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
People with weird fetishes should keep them to themselves. The problem is too many people, especially on the internet, think its a good idea to share them, completely unasked and unprovoked. It's like, goddamn i dont care if you and your SO are into weird poo poo, just don't bring it up for no reason.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Oh, I don't mind some good ol' Taylor Swift. My wife does though. The "artist" bit is what really gets to her.

Ah, I see, I misunderstood your post. I thought the implication was that your wife is a fan and you were being sarcastic. :v:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ah, I see, I misunderstood your post. I thought the implication was that your wife is a fan and you were being sarcastic. :v:

Ahh! I can see how it might've read that way. No, it's just a long-standing thing where she's a bit, let's say, picky about her music. So I play up liking stuff with no artistic merit for what I hope is harmless fun.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I enjoyed Grand Budapest better than Birdman and wanted Ralph Fiennes to win that Oscar. He was a delight.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Electric Six is my favorite band of all time.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
On one hand I do really hate kinkshaming, on the other hand, poo poo like raceplay exists

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

On one hand I do really hate kinkshaming, on the other hand, poo poo like raceplay exists

I decided to come up with a compromise.

"Nobody should give you poo poo for being you, but, you should probably stop being you and be someone more normal and acceptable."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Low Desert Punk posted:

What's your kink?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Blue Star posted:

People with weird fetishes should keep them to themselves. The problem is too many people, especially on the internet, think its a good idea to share them, completely unasked and unprovoked. It's like, goddamn i dont care if you and your SO are into weird poo poo, just don't bring it up for no reason.

The best thing to do is to just accept that humans, as a whole, are weird and gross and we do weird and gross things. It won't bother you if you just shrug and go "meh, whatever" in the face of anything harmless. Most fetishes are just that: harmless.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

oldpainless posted:

What's your kink?

stability and emotional support

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

He PLAYED us like A FIDDLE!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Blue Star posted:

Fetishes are good and people should be more open about them, actually. We could stand to be more open about sex in general but especially the numerous varieties and permutations that exist.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

while i couldn't care less what goes on between other consenting adults, kinks/fetishes are a lot less exciting when you actually encounter them in person, in the wild

try meeting someone who has reduced the whole of their attraction to you onto your ethnicity or whatever, or try meeting someone who acts like they need painal to live for a pair of actually common ones; it's not always going to be a dumb harmless thing like having to scream marx puns at the top of your lungs while you seize the means of reproduction

hard counter has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Dec 31, 2016

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Low Desert Punk posted:

stability and emotional support

Pervert.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Pot smoke smells as bad as tobacco smoke.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pot smells worse imo. Like burning assy garbage. Also most people will actually go outside to smoke cigarettes since they have some sense of shame driven into them, whereas pot smokers are often inconsiderate as hell and just reek the place up without asking or whine when you tell them to go outside.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
All pot smells like skunk to me.
Also, I prefer folks vaping to pot, cigarette and cigar smoking. I haven't encountered the stereotype so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but I think I might choose jackassery over hosed lungs anyway. :(

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The smell of pot simply accentuates the stench of failure and misery.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The thing that bugs me is how defensive they get when you ask them to smoke their weed outside. They will insist up and down that the smell goes away and it hardly even smells like anything etc. These are usually the same people who don't take care of their cat very well but insist their house doesn't reek of cat piss.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Choco1980 posted:

Of all the Jackson Tolkien adaptations, Fellowship is probably the closest to the source material in both plot and appearance on the other hand.

Have you read the book recently? Jackson changed scenes and details at practically every turn, and not just the big stuff people remember and pretend others are aghast about (Bombadil).

His The Hobbit is far, far closer to the book.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You could sit down and read The Hobbit to your kid in less time than watching two of the movies.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
CG effects have taken a turn in the last few years where everything's looking like high-end game graphics and I'm not really sure what's going on or why.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Dark Souls and its brood are poo poo games. And no, it's not because of the difficulty, it's because of the Souls/Blood Echoes retrieval mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Das Boo posted:

CG effects have taken a turn in the last few years where everything's looking like high-end game graphics and I'm not really sure what's going on or why.

HD really hosed everything up.