Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: You're the only one!

: Teruteru... Could it be you?
: ...

: Huh!? What!? What are you talking about!?
: T-Teruteru's the killer... Is that true!?
: Wh-What are you talking about! There's no way!
: Of course, that's simply my assumption, so if you have an objection, please speak freely.
: O-Objection or not... Why am I being treated like the killer...?
: Because...the portable stove used in the murder came from the kitchen.
: That's it!? That's the only reason you're treating me like a killer!? Isn't that a little drastic!?
: You're cruel! Cruel! Too cruel!

: Ah...Teruteru... That attitude is so not like you. For the Ultimate Cook to get so upset...
: Call me "Chef"...

Music fades out.

: If you fall to aspersions like this, who will be there to support the future of the culinary arts?
: Th-The future of the culinary arts...?

: That's right. For the future of the culinary arts, you must face this and fight it fair and square.
: Y-You're right... Yeah...that's totally right...!
: So what's an "aspersion" anyway? Is it yummy?
: Did you know asbestos is yummy, too? You should try some later!

: Nagito... Why are you interfering!?
: Let's assume that the killer used a light, and that they used the fire door to mask that light... And that they moved to the storage room and snuck under the floorboards. Then what? It's dark under the floorboards too, so how would they be able to stab Byakuya?
: You're not gonna say they shined a light on Byakuya, right? The plan would've been ruined if he noticed.
: Th-That's right... What do you think about that!?
: Th-That's...

: There's no way you can answer, right? You personally haven't investigated what's beneath the floorboards.
: If that's the case then Gundham should know! He actually went under the floorboards!
: No... Unfortunately, there was nothing related to the incident under the floorboards... The only thing I found was a strange liquid, shining in the darkness, near where Byakuya's blood was dripping.

: Wh-What!? A shining liquid in the dark!?
: That sounds super important!
: If there was a shining mark like that, they would have been able to move to it in the dark, right?
: And in doing so, it might've been possible for them to use that mark to target the victim.

The victim was targeted by a mark...? What was the "mark"...?

> Present "Knife"

: The mark you're talking about is the glowing paint that was applied to the knife, right?

: Ah! By using the glowing paint as a target, they were able to judge where to stab even in the dark!
: I see... The killer didn't target an actual person, they just struck the moment the glowing paint moved!
: That would be the moment someone grabbed ahold of the knife!

: So...the killer used the mark that I prepared for finding the knife as a mark for stabbing...
: I see... That's why Byakuya got killed when he took the knife...
: But if they were able to do that, wouldn't that mean the killer knew about Nagito's plan all along?
: Well, Teruteru!?
: S-Seriously, I don't know anything... Really...I don't know anything at all...

: Then can I ask everyone a question instead?
: Y-You again!? just stop already!
: N-Now, now! We should give everyone a fair opportunity to speak!
: If Teruteru is the killer, that would mean he went to the storage room during the blackout... And just what did Ibuki hear during the blackout?

: Waaaah! Don't step on my feet!
: What the hell!? What's going on here!?
: Th-This is...!
: Ow!
: Turn the drat lights on! I can't eat like this, y'know!
: You guys? Where are you? W-Wasn't the blackout...just in the kitchen?

: She heard...Teruteru's voice in the dining hall?
: Doesn't that prove Teruteru was in the dining hall during the blackout?
: Th-Th-That's right! That's exactly it!
: But Teruteru was in the kitchen the moment the blackout occurred, right? So...why was he in the dining hall?
: I-I thought the blackout was only in the kitchen, so I panicked and ran out of there... Of course, the hallway was dark, too... But somehow I managed to move along the wall toward everyone's voices.

: Well, it's not that far to move along the wall from the kitchen to the dining hall...
: ...That sounds fishy!
: If I remember correctly, you can tell when a person is lying by licking their sweat...
: So if you want, you should try licking me! *Rawr*
: No way. You look greasy.

: But I heard Teruteru's voice in the dining hall! Ibuki swears on her honor!
: That's right. Teruteru was in the dining hall, not the storage room. Which means...he's not the killer.
: ...No, that's not it.
: Wh-Why...?

: Why do you want to keep falsely accusing me!?
: It's not like I want to blame you...I just...
: You should be so proud of yourself, Hajime. You're just progressing toward the hope you believe in...

: Now Hajime...show me more of your hope. Will that be enough to crush Teruteru's hope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Hmmm... well, if there was some paint which made its way under the floor, then I guess that works as a marker to lead him to the spot. But I still think that the timing of the actions both Teruteru and Nagito supposedly had to perform still makes it much more likely that Teruteru was under the floor before the blackout.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

This seems like a good time to bring back this from the old LP:

(The source was http://risotto-nero.tumblr.com/, but their account seems to have since been deleted).

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Sooooo, I'm just going to guess the obvious and assume that when Ibuki heard Steve, was was under the room and not in it. If the floods gaps are big enough to shishkabob someone through I'm fairly sure noise can carry up too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Sooooo, I'm just going to guess the obvious and assume that when Ibuki heard Steve, was was under the room and not in it. If the floods gaps are big enough to shishkabob someone through I'm fairly sure noise can carry up too.

Yes. If it was Teruteru, then he was taking a chance that his voice would sound a bit muffled or much lower down than expected, but he was gambling the general disorientation would make that unnoticable.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Well, we all seem to agree that it was Steve Teruteru, under the floor, with the skewer.

Except... why? It's Danganronpa, so I'm not going to question anybody's motive for murder, but I'm questioning the hell out of his method. Why was he under the floor in the first place? Did he notice the glow in the dark paint? When did he have the opportunity to notice it? Did he know that the blackout was coming, or did he come up with a plan to take advantage of it on the fly in that short period of time?

It just raises too many questions. I'm actually starting to believe he's innocent.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Truthkeeper posted:

Well, we all seem to agree that it was Steve Teruteru, under the floor, with the skewer.

Except... why? It's Danganronpa, so I'm not going to question anybody's motive for murder, but I'm questioning the hell out of his method. Why was he under the floor in the first place? Did he notice the glow in the dark paint? When did he have the opportunity to notice it? Did he know that the blackout was coming, or did he come up with a plan to take advantage of it on the fly in that short period of time?

It just raises too many questions. I'm actually starting to believe he's innocent.

He could have found the knife earlier and thought he was actually killing a killer, not realising that the one grabbing the knife wasn't the person who put it there.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Let me ask you again...
: Did you go to the storage room during the blackout?
: Th-There's no way I went to the storage room!
: I was somewhere totally different!
: I definitely heard Teruteru's voice!
: It's handsome! Unlike his face!
: Maybe it was a recording or something...?
: Nope, definitely a live voice!
: Right, as long as I have her testimony...
: The fact that I was in the dining hall cannot be disputed!

There's...definitely a contradiction hidden within those remarks. ...I need to find it!

: The same gaps in the floor that allowed the killer to stab Byakuya would be wide enough to make any voice sound like it was in the dining room even if the speaker was under the floorboards!

> Shoot "I was in the dining hall" with "Gaps in Floorboard"

: I'll shoot through that contradiction!

: Just because we heard Teruteru's voice in the dining hall doesn't mean he was literally in the dining hall.
: Huh? Wh-Why...?

: Remember the floor in the dining hall? It was full of gaps, right...?
: So even if you shouted from under the floor, it should have sounded just like the voices in the dining hall.
: But...but-but-but-but-but-but...!

: I see... So he brazenly shouted from under the floor to make us think he was in the dining hall.
: ...Is that true, Teruteru?
: H-Hold on a second...
: C-Can you explain this, Teruteru!?

: I told ya to wait a sec, ain't IIIIII!?
: Hyaaaaaaa!?
: What're y'all even sayin' anymore!? I'm tellin' ya I was in dat dere dinin' hall durin' da blackou'!
: ...Where are you from again?
: Oooh I was born 'n West Azabu and raised 'n South Aoyama!
: Hey, you guys! This guy's a major liar!

: ...If Teruteru was in the dining hall during the blackout, he should've been there after the power returned, right?
: Well, I believe so. There's no way he could've gone back and forth in that dark hallway.
: Huh? Was Teruteru actually there during that time?
: I-I sure was... I was dere da whoooole drat time...

: Something like this shouldn't be decided by gut instinct. People's lives are at stake.
: Daaaamn right! You guys shouldna been decidin' this on the spot with your hazy memories!
: His accent is getting even worse! He's definitely lying!
: However...I am not sure. I believe that he was there...and I believe that he was not there.
: Nghhhhhhhh...! Is there any way we can decide...!?

: ...Why don't we consult his memories?

His...memories?

: Grah! Cher, don't be sayin' dings like dat don't make no sense! Can you even prove I wasn't in da dinin' hall!?

: I probably can.
: Gaaaaarrrgh! You again!?

Whether or not Teruteru was in the dining hall during the blackout... In order to know for sure... I just need to throw that question at him!

: It's not a red herring and not just fanservice (though it shamelessly is that too...). The Embarrassing Pose is a critical piece of evidence in the best-worst way.

> Present "Embarrassing Pose"

: If you're claiming that you were in the dining hall when the power came back, then you should know how Mikan was positioned at the time, right!?
: Wh-Whaaaaat!?

: Ngaaaah! Don't make me remember! I-It's so embarrassing!
: No, this is a very important question...
: Well, Teruteru? If you were really in the dining hall at that time, you should know the answer to that!
: Huh? Huh? Ummmmmmm?

: It was a pretty clever way of tripping. There's no way you'd forget about it so easily.
: Eeeee...I'm sorry...I'm so sorry. I showed you something so...unsightly...!

: H-H-How about it!? You can't answer, Teruteru!?
: Um... Um... Huh? Uhhh...huh...? That's weird, it just slipped from my mind.
: There's no way it would slip from your mind... Especially not a pervert like you...!
: U-Um... Even so...
: N-Nagito! Say something!

: Hmm... I guess you might have to give up now...
: Wait...give up? What do you mean, "give up"...?
: Teruteru... I'm disappointed too, you know... It's lonely watching someone I admire reach the limits of their hope. It kind of feels like a broken dream...

: Nagito, what are you doing!? Why are you messing with the killer like that...!?
: Ho-Ho-Hold on a sec! Don't go movin' dis along on your own like I really am da killer!
: Huh? But it's already decided, right?
: Da-da-da-da-da...hm...da-da-da-da-da...

: Da murder weapon hadn't been cleared up yet, cher!
: It's no use! I can't understand him anymore!
: It appears he's saying..."The murder weapon hasn't been cleared up yet!"
: You understand him!?

: But it's such a sad defense... This is too cruel...
: Oh! 'F you callin' me the killer den where da weapon!?
: Come on, Monomi! Enough with the whimpering and translate!
: U-Um... He said..."If you're calling me the killer, then where's the weapon?"

: The weapon, huh...? It's not the knife, right?
: Judging from Byakuya's wounds... It was a thin, edged tool that's roughly five millimeters in diameter!
: Also, if they stabbed from under the floorboards, the weapon would need to be at least fifty centimeters in length.
: ...After all this, who cares about the weapon?
: Na' goo' enuff! Na' goo' enuff at all!
: He said..."Not good enough. Not good enough at all."

: Fine, I got it... Let's try thinking about what the weapon was.
: Wannado'twannado't!?
: Um... He said, "Try to do it."
: What a confusing accent!

A-Anyway...We need to focus and think about this...!

A thin, edged tool...with a diameter of about 5 mm...and at least 50 cm in length...

The weapon that meets those requirements...might have been used at the crime scene...

: Once again, remember the difficulty curve is just nonexistent for these. The first puzzle was 13 letters, the second is 10. It still took me two minutes just for the right pieces to show up in the right order.

: The only major thing of note here is that the letters are flying in from the top and bottom. This effectively means that they are on screen for a shorter amount of time, though this doesn't really affect us yet.

> IRON SKEWER

: That's it! The weapon must be the iron skewer!
: Huh!? The iron skewer!?
: Before the party, as Byakuya was confiscating all the dangerous items, he spoke to Teruteru...

: I checked the equipment list and there seems to be one iron skewer missing...
: Ah, that's right... As far as I know, that's been missing from the start.

: So that missing iron skewer is the weapon!?
: An iron skewer would match up with the wounds perfectly!
: Hey Teruteru! Where'd ya hide the iron skewer!?
: Ah, ahhhh...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Music pauses.

: Avrillavignnnnnnnne!
: ...Avril Lavigne!
: Huh!? Did he really just say that!?

Music resumes.

: He's just saying random poo poo to gently caress with us! You probably dumped it somewhere on the island, didn't you!?
: This school trip has a no littering rule. If he had violated it, the island siren would be ringing nonstop.
: Island sirens...? Just for littering!?
: Also...I was on guard duty and I never once saw Teruteru leave the old building.
: Which means...he obviously hid it somewhere in the old building...
: It's probably the kitchen again, right!?
: Teruteru...just man up and be straight with us.
: OH...OH, OH, OH, OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH...

: OH WHAT DA HELL YOU EVEN SAYIN', YOU STUPID COUNTRY HICK!?!?
: He said, um..."Oh what the hell are you even saying, you stupid country hick."
: I guess...we have no choice but to somehow find out for ourselves...

If the iron skewer is the weapon...then hiding it in the kitchen would be the easiest way to slip it by. But...Byakuya and I checked the kitchen pretty thoroughly before the party started. Which means... Was the weapon already hidden somewhere we couldn't find it?

Could it have been in an unexpected place...? Where would that be? Where did he hide a long weapon like an iron skewer?

Think...carefully...!

: Ah'm na' hidin' an'thing!
: He said..."I'm not hiding anything!"
: Ah'm na' hidin' an'thing! Ah'm na' hidin' anythiiiiiing!

I must reveal to Teruteru the conclusive evidence that proves he's the killer!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

This part really confuses me. Why do we need to find the murder weapon? All the students but him believe it's him, so we can just vote and bam!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Arcturas posted:

This part really confuses me. Why do we need to find the murder weapon? All the students but him believe it's him, so we can just vote and bam!

FPzero posted:

: Something like this shouldn't be decided by gut instinct. People's lives are at stake.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

FPzero posted:

: I definitely heard Teruteru's voice!
: It's handsome! Unlike his face!

What an awesome line. Even her pose is perfect for it.

Oh, Ibuki, you're back to being my number one favorite :allears:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
What the hell is even happening to Teruteru right now? and why would he need to fake his accent anyway, somthing doesnt add up here.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Tombot posted:

What the hell is even happening to Teruteru right now? and why would he need to fake his accent anyway, somthing doesnt add up here.

I think the idea is that the voice he's been using all along is the fake accent, probably put on to make him sound more worldly and less of a hayseed.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pretty much. He's trying to come off as a sophisticated chef - look how offended he gets when referred to as a cook, there's a few moments earlier in the game where he kind of slips up.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Tombot posted:

Sounds like he's claiming to be from a big city but is actually from a small town. I imagine it would work better if I knew anything at all about West Azabu or South Aoyama.

And they're trying to clear up the murder weapon because they remember being sure that Nagito was the murderer, until Hajime brought up that the knife didn't kill Byakuya.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

voting for Chekhov's comically huge meatwad. It's the only thing big enough.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think the idea is that the voice he's been using all along is the fake accent, probably put on to make him sound more worldly and less of a hayseed.

It sounds a little odd, and not nearly as incomprehensible as it's supposed to reading it, but Creole is kind of an inspired choice for Teru's accent- kind of obscure but still relatively local, recognizable and distinct.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

None of this explains why he suddenly brought up Avril Levigne though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

oath2order posted:

Because he's still Steve.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Was waiting for a safe time to mention this: Peko's food poisoning. I think I figured out why it happened considering what Steve said about the food being untainted - She wasn't poisoned. It was just a stroke of good fortune for someone that she was sequestered to the bathroom instead of being in the office to activate the circuit breaker - She got food-poisoning because of Nagito's Ultimate Luck: It got her stuck in a position that she couldn't do any good in.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

resurgam40 posted:

It sounds a little odd, and not nearly as incomprehensible as it's supposed to reading it, but Creole is kind of an inspired choice for Teru's accent- kind of obscure but still relatively local, recognizable and distinct.
And it's definitely more creative than the generic southern accent translators usually use in place of non-Tokyo Japanese dialects.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

oath2order posted:

IIRC he says it in the japanese version as well.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

resurgam40 posted:

Also associated with cuisine.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
He actually said "Avril Cuisine," Monomi just misheard.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The murder weapon isn't in his pompadour is it?

That's not hygienic Steve.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Finally...we are nearing the end. A cornered opponent will be surrounded by Soul Shields and simply will not listen to what you have to say. It will probably pain you to condemn your classmate... but this is a class trial, after all. You must argue against your opponent and destroy their Soul Shields. A high-speed dispute battle where you beat down a panicked opponent's excuses and nonsense... That's the Bullet Time Ba-... SORRY. The Panic Talk Action. P(Panic) T(Talk) A(Action)... We'll shorten it to PTA.
: During PTA, you must destroy all of your opponent's Soul Shields so you can deliver your Final Strike. In order to do that...you must destroy your opponent's remarks while following the tempo of the song. Time your button presses with the Tempo Marker as it moves across the screen. Match the Tempo Marker by pressing the X/A button and you will be able to lock on to the opponent's remark. If you keep pressing it, you will be able to lock on to multiple remarks at the same time. Afterward, if you release the X/A button in time with the Tempo Marker, it will intercept the locked on remark and destroy it. By destroying remarks, you will be able to damage the Soul Shields protecting the opponent and destroy them. However, if you cannot destroy their remark within the time limit, you will end up getting hurt. For this PTA, just focus on pressing the X/A button. Please wait for another time for the other features.
: Do this consecutively and you'll start a combo. Keep this going and you'll initiate a Tempo Up. On the flipside, if you keep missing, you'll find yourself in a Tempo Down situation. When the song changes, the tempo changes. This will alter the timing for each button. Please be careful.
: Last but not least, let me tell you about the final blow. If you destroy all of your opponent's Soul Shields, they will start to give their final argument. And if that happens...4 words will be displayed on the top, bottom, left and right sides of the screen. Each of these 4 words corresponds to the Triangle/Y, X/A, Square/X and Circle/B buttons. If you press the buttons in the right order, you will be able to compose the words of your Final Strike. Please make your argument while searching for the words that will trump your opponent's final argument. Also, if you don't deliver your Final Strike within the time limit, the opponent's Soul Shields will recover. Well then...good luck and have fun!

: That's...a lot of words for a minigame that ultimately didn't change that drastically from its previous incarnation. Let's just get right into it.

(Slow tempo)
(Medium tempo)
(Fast tempo)

: The "Soul Shields" flying around Teruteru are just a visual representation of his smaller health bar up at the top of the screen. To start locking on to your opponent's remarks you'll need to press the X/A button as an orange dot passes under the black circle at the lower middle of your screen.

: The main difference between this version of the minigame and the one in Danganronpa 1 is that instead of continuously tapping the X/A button you're supposed to tap once and HOLD the button until you want to release it in time with the tempo and orange dots. This is a crucial difference that, in my opinion, the tutorial does a horrible job communicating. I didn't realize this fact on my first playthrough until somewhere around Trial 3 or 4 and I couldn't figure out why I was having so much trouble with it.

: Regardless, press and HOLD the button to start locking on. When you're ready to strike, release the button in time with the tempo to break an opponent's remarks and damage their shields. For right now, we just need to continue doing this until we win. Other mechanics will be introduced over time.

: Get your combo high enough and the tempo of the minigame will increase. You'll do more damage this way but it will get a little harder to stay on beat.
: Even though I now know to hold the button instead of tapping rhythmically, PTA feels a lot harder to me than the old Bullet Time Battles did. I think it's because you still have to maintain a rhythm when playing but the lack of actual rhythmic button presses makes it harder to stay on time. Might just be a personal thing though.

: The Final Strike! Press the buttons in the right order to form a convincing final argument!

: Where would the weapon be!?

: This is the end!

: Could the iron skewer have been hidden...inside the piece of meat on the bone!?
: Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha!?
: What are you sayin'...? Dere's no way I'd hide anything...in a place like that...
: Th-That's clearly impossible! I mean, that's inside the food!
: "Impossible"... That's what Byakuya and I thought... That's why we overlooked it...

: It seems there are no dangerous items--like that skewer in the churrasco earlier--inside that pile of food.
: That...appears to be the case...

Phew, I wouldn't have known what to do if he said fish bones and meat bones were also dangerous items...

: But in fact...the only place you could hide the weapon was inside the food that couldn't be inspected.

: Out of all the dishes you prepared, the only one that could hide a weapon as long as an iron skewer is...the meat on the bone!

: WHAT NOWWWWW!?
: I-I-I'm usin' mah right to remain silent!
: There's no way that exists here!
: W-We need to confirm this now!

: So if we eat that tasty-lookin' piece of meat and find the iron skewer inside... Bullseye!
: All right, Monokuma or Monomi, one of you hurry and bring over that piece of meat!
: One minute... Just gimme one minute...I'll eat the whole thing...!
: Wait now hold on a second! Time out! Time out!
: What are you doing!? Hurry up and bring it over!!!
: Ah...about that...

Music fades out.

*...*

: Huh...? Where did Monokuma go?
: I'm...right here...!

: Nom...I'm already eating it!
: Gyaaaaa! A bear that eats meat!
: ...Wait, now that I think about it, that's pretty normal.
: Om nom nom... What is this...? So yummy!
: D-Dammit! That's my meat!
: I've never eaten anything like it in my entire life! The taste brings me back to my days in the wild.

: Th-Th-Th-Th-This...THIS IS BAD! Seriously, this is really bad!
: My, my...there's something inside the meat...

: Look what came out!
: I-Isn't that...!?
: Is that...an iron skewer...?

: Check it out...the handle looks like it's made of bone. Pretty clever.
: The sword of destruction! Encased in bone and sheathed in meat! It brought catastrophe unto Byakuya!
: As expected of Teruteru! Such a fantastic weapon from the Ultimate Chef!
: Y-Y-You're wrong...! I'm not the killer... I'm not the kind of person...who would kill someone...!

: I got it! You all set me up! You guys set me up so you could blame dis on me!
: Jeez, what a disappointment... Such an unseemly defense for an Ultimate like you. Can you really call that hope?

: Hey Nagito...I'm sorry but can you just be quiet?

: Y'all nothin' but a buncha poor, loudmouthed, fast-food eatin' hicks!
: He said..."You're all nothing but a bunch of poor, loudmouthed, fast-food-eating hicks".
: Y-You don't need to translate anymore... Somehow I can...tell what he's trying to say!
: Nevah nevah nevah shoulda wasted mah cookin' on you 'ngrates!

Let's just...deal with Nagito later... More importantly, we should first...

: I guess we need to settle this...once and for all... To do that, we need to go over the entire incident from beginning to end and make everything clear...

Go over the entire incident... And then, I can prove Teruteru's crime... That's right...if we don't do that, we can't end this no matter how much time passes.

: So it's finally come to this... My throb is chesting. Every case has one last feature to bring the class trial to an end. This is the Closing Argument.
: In this phase, you'll give a complete summary of the case. You'll have to reproduce the order of events in the case in the form of a comic book. This reproduction is merely Hajime's imagination. So, there will be gaps here and there. Gaps are areas where a number of pieces are missing. It's up to you to complete the comic using the Truth Panels provided. Around 3-5 Truth Panels make up one set. Inside that one set, there will be correct panels placed among incorrect panels. If you use up all of the correct panels contained in one set, it will switch to a new set. After that, if you fill in all the holes, you will clear the challenge. I'm pretty sure some of you already noticed but... It will be difficult to complete with so many gaps, but once you fill some in, it will become much simpler. For those of you who played the previous game, you might hesitate at first...but it's basically the same concept.
: Now then, when playing and solving the Closing Argument, there is a certain trick... If you move the reticle onto the gaps on each page, it will display hints at the top of the screen. This type of hint will ask what kind of scene is drawn in that gap. Also if you move the reticle onto a Truth Panel, it will display a hint as well. This hint explains the scene contained in that panel. Put together these two hints and think carefully. Of course, don't forget that there will be a time limit... Well then...good luck and have fun!

: So...we need to do it!

: The tutorial did a pretty good job of explaining the minigame this time so let me explain the changes. The concept of the Closing Argument is basically the same as it was in Danganronpa 1 but there have been some major improvements to the formula.

: First off, you're only given a few panels to work with at any given time. This is known as a Stock.

: Second, as mentioned, hints about the panels and holes are given just by hovering the cursor over each of them.

: Third, the game tells you immediately if you put the right panel in the right place. This is a big change from the first game, where putting a panel in the wrong place wouldn't stop you until you're in the middle of the Summary. I'm very grateful for this change because it means I don't have to fear blowing my whole recording because of one mistake like I had to worry doing about last time.

: And lastly, getting a correct answer will give you an extra 10 seconds.

: Oh, and it'll tell you when you're on the final set of panels. All together these changes make the Closing Argument, which was already pretty fun, a much better minigame overall.

: Here's everything that happened in this case!

: (Don't forget to read right to left!)

: Let's try going over the whole incident, beginning with right after the party started...

: Byakuya had us gather in the dining hall of the old building near the hotel.

: He was extra cautious about a murder occurring that night because of a threatening letter he received. Therefore, he decided to throw a party so he could monitor us.

: Though one person didn't come, the rest of us assembled at the dining hall...and the party was underway. But, at that time, the trap set by a certain someone was already in motion.

: They plugged three irons into the outlets in the storage room, which nearly capped the power usage...

: Additionally, they prepared something else that would activate at 11:30 p.m....

: The air conditioners in the office and dining hall. They had already set the timers for these. Thanks to the irons maxing out the power usage, the breaker was tripped when the air conditioners kicked on.

: Since the windows in the old building were covered, the blackout plunged the dining hall into total darkness.

: But when that happened, Byakuya took out a specific item that he brought in his case.

: That item...was the night-vision goggles. Byakuya was so concerned about a murder occurring that he brought a variety of security equipment with him. When he put on his night-vision goggles, Byakuya witnessed a certain someone making a suspicious move...

: He saw Nagito guiding himself with the desk lamp's power cord so he could get under the table. That's right. Everything up to that point was all part of Nagito's plan. The murder warning to Byakuya, the source of the blackout... It was all Nagito.

: While the blackout was happening, someone else--the real killer--began making their move in the kitchen.

: The killer probably already knew about Nagito's plan, so they knew a blackout was coming... That's why the killer prepared all the items they would need to commit their crime in the dark beforehand.

: They needed a light source, which was provided by the portable stove in the kitchen.

: They needed a weapon, too... This had also been hidden in the kitchen beforehand.

: The long iron skewer used in the churrasco dish. The killer hid that inside that meat with the bone in it.

: With the weapon and portable stove in hand, the killer stepped out into the hallway... First they closed the fire door in the hallway so their light source wouldn't peek toward the dining hall.

: Then, guided by the light, the killer headed toward the storage room and grabbed a specific item...

: That's right. A tablecloth to block the blood splatter.

: With this, the killer finished their preparations and snuck under the floorboards through the secret passage. They probably turned off the portable cooking stove at that point, or left it near the entrance of the door. The floor in the dining hall is full of gaps, so there's no way they could've safely held a light source.

: But thanks to the glowing mark they painted earlier, the killer was able to get beneath the table.

: Under the table, Byakuya found the knife that had been hidden there...

: If only he had retreated, he probably wouldn't have gotten killed but... He had to retrieve that knife. And, at that moment...

: The killer lurking beneath the floorboards stabbed straight up with the iron skewer!

: The killer had been waiting in the dark for the moment when the glowing paint began to move.

: After they murdered Byakuya, the killer purposefully shouted from beneath the floorboards to make it seem like they were still in the dining hall. Afterward, they came out from underneath the floorboards and rushed back to the kitchen.

: And then, after hiding the murder weapon in the kitchen, they rejoined the group as if nothing had happened.

: There's only one person who would've been able to commit this crime... Especially if that person is someone who'd think of an unexpected way to hide a weapon inside food...

: Isn't that right... Teruteru Hanamura!?

: That's what happened... How about it? Did I get anything wrong?

: Th-This...is a mistake... A mistake, I tell you... I would never...I would never kill anyone... Would...never... Gh...ugh...ughhhh...
: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH...!
: It seems...this is the end.

: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

: Geh-hehe...it looks like your argument has come to a close.
: Oops! I lost control of my wild side for a second. Was that a side effect of the meat I just ate?

: ...Well, putting that aside, let's move along to the nerve-wracking voting time! Now then, please pull the lever in front of your and cast your vote.
: Oh, just a reminder... Make triple sure you vote for someone!
: If you don't vote...I'm gonna eat you up just like that meat from earlier...
: Ughhhh...! Wh-Why did this happen...!?

: Who will be chosen as the blackened!? Will you make the right choice or the dreadfully wrong one!?
: Puhuhu! Such heart-pounding excitement!

: At the end of the trial, you are scored based on how well you did in the various debates and minigames, as well as what difficulty you're playing on. Your reward is given in Monocoins. Getting an A rank is pretty doable, but getting a perfect is fairly challenging.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, uh... Paris Hilton?

I really feel like I'm missing something there.

Edit: Also, I feel like I missed the part where Steve found out about Nagito's plan and then made his own plan. Otherwise... he's got no reason to know that there's a knife under the table there.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 3, 2017

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Capfalcon posted:

So, uh... Paris Hilton?

He just randomly yells out western celebrities when he is stressed. It's just a character quirk.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Capfalcon posted:

Edit: Also, I feel like I missed the part where Steve found out about Nagito's plan and then made his own plan. Otherwise... he's got no reason to know that there's a knife under the table there.

I'm hoping we hear more about this in the next video because I'm not sure how he figured out this plan.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
"Meat on the bone." That one was a little tricky first time through, because by that point you pretty much know the bone is the skewer, but there's a couple different ways those four words could combine ("Bone on the meat", "On the meat bone") that'd be technically accurate. In fact it's a minor meme in the DR fanbase that when it comes up, pretty much every variant of those four words noted.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

SMaster777 posted:

"Meat on the bone." That one was a little tricky first time through, because by that point you pretty much know the bone is the skewer, but there's a couple different ways those four words could combine ("Bone on the meat", "On the meat bone") that'd be technically accurate. In fact it's a minor meme in the DR fanbase that when it comes up, pretty much every variant of those four words noted.

The first time I got to that one I failed it with "THE MEAT ON BONE"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I completely forgot how glorious TACTICAL TOGAMI looks in that one panel. :allears:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm going to once again repeat my gripe with the "correct solution" as presented by the game.

Nagito's task list once the blackout started:
  • Follow the power cord he was standing right next to 4 feet to the table.
  • Crawl under the table.
  • Pick up knife

Teruteru's task list once the blackout started:
  • Turn on portable stove.
  • Retrieve skewer
  • Close fire doors
  • Walk to storage room.
  • Retreive Tablecloth
  • Wrap self in tablecloth in such a way as to both cover themselves and not impede movement.
  • Open trap door
  • Put down portable stove
  • Crawl under floor
  • Follow faint glowing paint and crawl six-eight feet to get under table
  • Wait under table
  • Stab once light moves

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like one person's task list was significantly shorter and much, much, easier than the other person, and yet apparently the second person is supposed to have done all their tasks FASTER than the first person.

: That's what happened... How about it? Did I get anything wrong?

:negative: Yes, Hinata.

Given that Teruteru knew when the blackout was going to happen, he must have been waiting in position under the floor before the blackout happened. None of that crap with the portable stove and fire door was necessary. At most he used the stove as a light beside the trap door to find his way back, after which he could turn it off when leaving the storage room, and following the wall with his hands back to the kitchen. Same killer, same basic M.O., but with a timeline which actually makes sense. This kind of sloppy thinking and poor logic is a killer for a mystery game.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
The whole staying under the floor before the blackout started is something they have talked about in the trial and the whole reason why they started to suspect Fuyuhiko, because he was the only one who wasn't at the party and could have waited under the floor before the blackout.

Teruteru used the door and the portable stove in his plan because he had to give himself also a alibi before the blackout in where he was moving from the kitchen to hall bringing food and make people think that it was impossible to go from the kitchen to under the floor without any light , if he wanted to wait before the blackout he would be suspicious as soon as the topic of who wasn't at the party started, they even talk about that earlier in the trial when they question if Peko and Teruteru could have been the ones waiting under the floor and they each give their alibis who other characters and, in Teruteru's case, the player himself can confirm because we saw him bringing food during the party.

I will admit the whole timeline thing is something that might be confusing and I had a similar problem but let me just say that the next update actually helps in creating a reason why despite Nagito having just a few things to do he was slow enough to make Teruteru get under the table before someone got the knife.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The real question is why did he do it? So far his breakdown has neglected that bit, and he doesn't seem to have any special motives other than wanting off the island like everyone else.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I failed the stupid meat on the bone one a lot, and I also didn't understand how to do the panic Talk Action all that well so I got my first trial failure there. >_>

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Oh good, now I get to post my favourite piece of fanart from the last thread!

Kringlorr posted:

imma get that torgami

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Rarity posted:

I don't care who the killer is. I just want to know why they didn't kill Steve instead :colbert:

Is this a good enough reason? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'd assume Teruteru just wanted to escape - he seems like a pretty pervy, selfish type of dude

As for the more complicated kill being the correct one, that's just the way games and murder mysteries are! If they were simple the whole "gather everyone in the drawing room and lay out the murder step by step" done in detective stories would be awfully short and boring :)

• Locked thread