Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don't think so. It is antiquated, but it works. It feels like crowd attendance at the weighins have only increased as the sport has grown. As long as the crowd is there, it's good hype and good business for the event itself.
I have to imagine there's a lot of betting that hinges on how fighters look at weighins, though obviously that's now blunted by true vs for-show weigh-ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
It's a good opportunity for fighters with personalities to show those personalities.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its also heaps of fun as a fan. Theres no reason not to do it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

BlindSite posted:

Its also heaps of fun as a fan. Theres no reason not to do it.

I was at 189 weigh ins for Conor vs Mendes and it was insane. The atmosphere is something to be apart of.

The one thing I do think they should do is get rid of the scale. It's pointless. Put a small raiser and have them pose to the crowd while announcing their weight. Then do the face off.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

It's a good opportunity for fighters with personalities to show those personalities.

Yeah, especially in the age of reebok fighter kits and fighters not even allowed personally significant patches on their shorts or whatever. The fine they gave Cowboy was embarrassing, even though I believe they sorted it out satisfactorily in the end.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I asked in the B-League thread but I guess it got lost in the Rizin discussion last night: in regards to that promotion, is there a reason they use a ring as opposed to a cage? Tradition, aesthetics, legal issues maybe? Just wanting to make themselves as PRIDE-y as possible?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Memento posted:

I asked in the B-League thread but I guess it got lost in the Rizin discussion last night: in regards to that promotion, is there a reason they use a ring as opposed to a cage? Tradition, aesthetics, legal issues maybe? Just wanting to make themselves as PRIDE-y as possible?

I always assumed JMMA did rings as a nod to their pro wrestling roots more than anything

However, it should be noted that I'm pretty dang dumb

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yeah, especially in the age of reebok fighter kits and fighters not even allowed personally significant patches on their shorts or whatever. The fine they gave Cowboy was embarrassing, even though I believe they sorted it out satisfactorily in the end.

the old shorts were just billboards for roofing solutions and hedge trimming services so i think the reebok kit is a step up personally

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It doesn't say Condom Depot anywhere on the reebok kit, it's impossible for it to be better.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

LobsterMobster posted:

I always assumed JMMA did rings as a nod to their pro wrestling roots more than anything

However, it should be noted that I'm pretty dang dumb

Yeah I think it's a mix of that and Japanese Tradition since Pride did it. A long time ago, there was a lot of debate about which was better but I think it's pretty clear to everyone by now that the cage has a lot more utility than the ring for MMA.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

the old shorts were just billboards for roofing solutions and hedge trimming services so i think the reebok kit is a step up personally

They fit poorly, are ugly, screw the fighters out of a ton of money and the cage still has ads all over it. They are stupid and bad.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They fit poorly, are ugly, screw the fighters out of a ton of money and the cage still has ads all over it. They are stupid and bad.

its the senior employees of reebok and the UFC that are screwing the fighters out of the money actually

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

And honestly 2.0 of the fight kit that has custom design/color per fighter looks quite good and seems to be of good quality.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

its the senior employees of reebok and the UFC that are screwing the fighters out of the money actually

That's the same thing you dink.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That's the same thing you dink.

it isnt though, cos the ufc or reebok could easily afford to cover the financial difference by increasing the show money, but chose not to. there are fighters in the ufc who make less than i do (just from fighting anyway) and the ufc alone has probably 20 or 30 times more money than there is in my entire sport

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I think it sucks that the fighters are losing money but I think the look of the uniform is much better.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

I think it sucks that the fighters are losing money but I think the look of the uniform is much better.

Itd be really bad if instead of his iceman trunks , Chuck had to wear a uniform. Also overeems shorts were cool, so too were wanderleis speedos

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

it isnt though, cos the ufc or reebok could easily afford to cover the financial difference by increasing the show money, but chose not to. there are fighters in the ufc who make less than i do (just from fighting anyway) and the ufc alone has probably 20 or 30 times more money than there is in my entire sport

So it isn't Reebok and the ufc screwing the fighters? Its the senior employees of Reebok and the ufc screwing the fighters, gotcha.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
The UFC probably should've negotiated a little harder for more money, and it would've been smarter to sign a shorter deal based on how fast the sport is growing, but it's hard to be taken seriously as a league when some of your fighters are wearing clothes with nazi sponsorships on them so it was necessary. Reebok exacerbated the problem a little by putting their most incompetent people on the project. It's hard to imagine that their next apparel deal won't be significantly larger than the current one and then hopefully people will shut the gently caress up about the Reebok deal and dismiss it as growing pains.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

it's hard to be taken seriously as a league when some of your fighters are wearing clothes with nazi sponsorships on them so it was necessary.

I agree with this on principle, but the UFC was already accomplishing this fairly effectively by instituting case-by-case bans on certain sponsors and also leveling a sort of "sponsorship tax," so that only brands willing to pay something like a $50k fee to Zuffa on top of what they were going to pay out to fighters could be sponsors. It wasn't completely perfect but the reason we didn't see CondomDepot.com or the Nevada Gun Store all over the UFC for the last few years before Reebok wasn't because those brands were disinterested in continuing their sponsorship.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Kiger_Soze posted:

So it isn't Reebok and the ufc screwing the fighters? Its the senior employees of Reebok and the ufc screwing the fighters, gotcha.

woosh

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

I agree with this on principle, but the UFC was already accomplishing this fairly effectively by instituting case-by-case bans on certain sponsors and also leveling a sort of "sponsorship tax," so that only brands willing to pay something like a $50k fee to Zuffa on top of what they were going to pay out to fighters could be sponsors. It wasn't completely perfect but the reason we didn't see CondomDepot.com or the Nevada Gun Store all over the UFC for the last few years before Reebok wasn't because those brands were disinterested in continuing their sponsorship.

People hated the sponsorship tax idea though too because it was "taking money out of the pockets of fighters and putting it into the pocket of the UFC" or even dumber ideas. And then you have to deal with due diligence of "is this a reputable organization? does it promote bad things"? And then you have to worry about rights issues, and if something slips through, it's on there for every replay unless you edit it out digitally like they did with some past ones, and it just creates problems on top of problems and more headache and overhead. It just makes more sense if the UFC could negotiate a large sponsorship with legitimate companies to secure apparel deals (like most major sports organizations) and distribute it down to the fighters.

The TV rights are expected to be 4x the size of the previous Fox deal, which ends this year I think. I don't know if the next apparel deal will increase proportionally, but since the Reebok deal ends in like 2020 (I think?), it's hard not to see it going WAY up from where it is right now. Like if every fighter makes at least 15/15 + 10k, is that going to be good enough for everyone to stop complaining? That's 75k a year if you lose all three fights, which I don't think is too bad, and I think it's very safe to say that we'll be there in a few years.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

It's not unreasonable to be pissed at the UFC/Reebok for taking a large amount if not most of their income away, while making them wear shoddy gear and getting their names and nationalities wrong.

I hope you're right and it's just growing pains but we shouldn't gloss over just how hilariously bad the Reebok deal initially was.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
People said a lot of dumb stuff about the Reebok deal (like that the UFC management was making money off it, which in fact they aren't and are making less money from it than they were from the previous sponsorship regime) but it was still a very bad deal, and the UFC should have compared it to the money the fighters were getting from sponsorships at the time and either negotiated better or walked away until they found someone willing to make a deal that would have been closer to the status quo of money sponsorship. DWG is right that the deal will almost certainly get better to the point that it will eventually be a good deal, but the UFC made an unforced error in letting it be a lovely deal from the beginning.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

People said a lot of dumb stuff about the Reebok deal (like that the UFC management was making money off it, which in fact they aren't and are making less money from it than they were from the previous sponsorship regime) but it was still a very bad deal, and the UFC should have compared it to the money the fighters were getting from sponsorships at the time and either negotiated better or walked away until they found someone willing to make a deal that would have been closer to the status quo of money sponsorship. DWG is right that the deal will almost certainly get better to the point that it will eventually be a good deal, but the UFC made an unforced error in letting it be a lovely deal from the beginning.

I think the failure in simple poo poo that wasnt done in the reebok deal is a big part of why the new owners sacked a lot of staff from the UFC.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I think the failure in simple poo poo that wasnt done in the reebok deal is a big part of why the new owners sacked a lot of staff from the UFC.

The owners sacked a lot of staff from the UFC because a lot of the staff was redundant with their own already existing production staff (or were obvious sinecures like Chuck and Hughes).

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I like watching dudes get knocked out. Chuck Liddell's career is very entertaining for me to watch since win or lose, someone is probably getting (T)KO'd (62% of his wins and 75% of his losses). i'm trying to find some other fighters who turned out like this, I thought Tito would be good for this but at 44%/33% he's pretty weak. can't even get knocked unconscious good enough, Tito. Rich Franklin is at 52% and 71%. are there any other guys I should be trying to track down to fit this weird fightpass craving?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

I like watching dudes get knocked out. Chuck Liddell's career is very entertaining for me to watch since win or lose, someone is probably getting (T)KO'd (62% of his wins and 75% of his losses). i'm trying to find some other fighters who turned out like this, I thought Tito would be good for this but at 44%/33% he's pretty weak. can't even get knocked unconscious good enough, Tito. Rich Franklin is at 52% and 71%. are there any other guys I should be trying to track down to fit this weird fightpass craving?

Melvin Manhoef

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

Alistair overeem
Wanderlei silva
Dan henderson post-2007

some newer ones:

Cody Garbrandt
Doo ho choi
Jimi Manuwa

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Aye Doc posted:

Anthony Johnson
Mark Hunt
Cowboy

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

fatherdog posted:

Melvin Manhoef

Melvin has gone to decision 5 times in 45 fights.

Charles Oliveira is a good glass cannon. He's only been to decision twice in 17 UF fights..

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

Stefan struve is the only answer

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Charles Oliveira is a good glass cannon. He's only been to decision twice in 17 UF fights..
Mostly sub wins, though.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Aye Doc posted:

Bob Sapp

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Aye Doc posted:

Sean Salmon
James Irvin
Anthony Perosh

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Erick Silva jumps to mind, might not make the % requirements

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Scott Smith made a career out of getting knocked out and knocking guys out, usually in the same fight

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Houston Alexander's UFC career was brief but violent

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
How has no one said matt brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

fatherdog posted:

Melvin Manhoef

Seriously, Manhoef is such a good pick if you want a violent KO win and loss highlight. Not only are his finishes brutal, but his losses sit on the fence between brutal and comical. Most notably the Lawler loss.

• Locked thread