Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Star posted:

I am trying to find slow, moody jazz with the organ and probably the electric guitar, but it might work with brass instruments as well. Stuff that is similar to the intro of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFhiWcKDrlk
I can't find anywhere to stream it, but "The Wedding" by Larry Goldings from Quartet (not from In My Room, where he's on piano instead) might fit the bill.

I'm not too familiar with the rest of his organ work--I only have a couple mostly-piano albums--but poking around at samples on Amazon, this seems pretty slow and moody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9CH7BzRPEk. And this opens up a bit in the middle but otherwise might fit the bill, too (and it never gets very funky!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrpQUS47sfg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thanks!

As for small vs big definitely small. I like the minimal band intimate setting a lot.
I already mentioned Max Roach, but if you want minimal check out Roach's Drums Unlimited, which includes a bunch of solo stuff that's not at all your typical `drum solo'. For example `For Big Sid': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1xeb125iaI. This is all post-bebop stuff, but at least personally I find Max Roach to be one of the jazz percussionists whose playing I find most...informative? It's hard to talk about without coming across like a cord-sniffing tosser, but when I'm approaching a subject not just to listen to/enjoy/whatever it but rather to study/learn from it, there are certain guys whose poo poo I just find it easier to get a handle on to dive in and get inside the nuts and bolts of how their poo poo works. Max Roach has this thing where he usually starts simple and then embellishes and poo poo can get complicated, but there's always a great deal of clarity about what's `inside' each step. I feel the same way about, for example, chord theory and Monk. As opposed to, I dunno, a lot of Miles' stuff, where it often isn't at all clear how it all works until you have the whole thing and then it all clicks. Which is cool, but it makes it more difficult, pedagogically or however you want to say it.

If any of that makes sense.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SubG posted:

I already mentioned Max Roach, but if you want minimal check out Roach's Drums Unlimited, which includes a bunch of solo stuff that's not at all your typical `drum solo'. For example `For Big Sid': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1xeb125iaI. This is all post-bebop stuff, but at least personally I find Max Roach to be one of the jazz percussionists whose playing I find most...informative? It's hard to talk about without coming across like a cord-sniffing tosser, but when I'm approaching a subject not just to listen to/enjoy/whatever it but rather to study/learn from it, there are certain guys whose poo poo I just find it easier to get a handle on to dive in and get inside the nuts and bolts of how their poo poo works. Max Roach has this thing where he usually starts simple and then embellishes and poo poo can get complicated, but there's always a great deal of clarity about what's `inside' each step. I feel the same way about, for example, chord theory and Monk. As opposed to, I dunno, a lot of Miles' stuff, where it often isn't at all clear how it all works until you have the whole thing and then it all clicks. Which is cool, but it makes it more difficult, pedagogically or however you want to say it.

If any of that makes sense.

That kind of thing is 100% my alley and as I'm listening to Drums Unlimited right now I get what you mean. There really is a unique clarity I'm feeling. I won't pretend to understand most of it yet but it's an awesome test for my brain trying to feel the rhythms.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kilometers Davis posted:

That kind of thing is 100% my alley and as I'm listening to Drums Unlimited right now I get what you mean. There really is a unique clarity I'm feeling. I won't pretend to understand most of it yet but it's an awesome test for my brain trying to feel the rhythms.
Cool. I feel that way about most of Roach's output from the early to mid '60s, but Drums Unlimited is probably my favourite. From the same period you might also want to check out We Insist!, Percussion Bitter Sweet, and The Max Roach Trio Featuring the Legendary Hasaan.

There's another bunch of his work from the late '70s that's also really good but is also more out there/free/experimental/whatever. If you're interested, I'd suggest Birth and Rebirth and the stuff he did with his all-percussion ensemble, M'Boom, particularly the self-titled album M'Boom. It's not exactly what you would call his most `listenable' poo poo or whatever, but hearing an all-percussion ensemble do poo poo like take a run at a standard like Monk's `Epistrophy' is interesting/informative/educational/whatever you want to call it in its own right.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Kandace Springs' Soul Eyes album is now available if anyone wants some really good modern jazz to listen to. Her voice is incredible.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

What recordings should I check out if I'm after the most heroin-plagued stuff in the genre? Basically stuff that was clearly written/recorded in the throes of addiction, in a total heroin haze.

(I don't actually take drugs but this music is phenomenal for night driving down the highway.)

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Oliver Reed posted:

What recordings should I check out if I'm after the most heroin-plagued stuff in the genre? Basically stuff that was clearly written/recorded in the throes of addiction, in a total heroin haze.

(I don't actually take drugs but this music is phenomenal for night driving down the highway.)

Any and all Sun Ra.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Oliver Reed posted:

Bill Evans.

In some of the videos taken off him motherfucker is nodding off while playing.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

anyone here into BadBadNotGood? In my opinion, they are GoodGoodNotBad!

Grindcore ASMR
Nov 28, 2015

I was wondering if someone was going to mention them in this thread. Their most recent album, IV is great.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Puppy Galaxy posted:

anyone here into BadBadNotGood? In my opinion, they are GoodGoodNotBad!

IV is pretty good, I agree. I never like the entirety of any album they put out, but there's highlights from each one. Anyone check out Esperanza Spalding's Emily's D+Evolution?

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 15, 2016

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Anyone check out Esperanza Spalding's Emily's D+Evolution?

Not classic Spalding, but still quite excellent.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
For fans of more traditional jazz, you can listen to 25 years of Riverwalk Jazz for free: http://riverwalkjazz.stanford.edu/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I love a lot of jazz influenced music but have never gotten into jazz itself. So far I like the jazz elements in Amy Winehouses music, I also like Bill Evans. Bitches Brew wasn't bad either. Where should I go from here? Something maybe not too heavy on the horns.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 17, 2016

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Kvlt! posted:

I love a lot of jazz influenced music (mainly jam bands) but have never gotten into jazz itself. So far I like the jazz elements in Amy Winehouses music, I also like Bill Evans. Bitches Brew wasn't bad either. Where should I go from here? Something maybe not too heavy on the horns.
The Bad Plus

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Maybe get over your horn phobia

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I love a lot of jazz influenced music but have never gotten into jazz itself. So far I like the jazz elements in Amy Winehouses music, I also like Bill Evans. Bitches Brew wasn't bad either. Where should I go from here? Something maybe not too heavy on the horns.

Avishai Cohen

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Maybe get over your horn phobia

This.

Kvlt! posted:

Perhaps the freshly in-the-ground Bobby Hutcherson, or Ramsey Lewis. Maybe Earl Klugh, Brad Mehldau or Pat Metheny? They're both a milder version of jazz or jazz funk that could suit the Jazz 101 student who....doesn't care for horns? :iiam:

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
There's a good amount of horn-less jazz out there. I listen to older stuff, and Oscar Peterson's trios and quartets and Marian McPartland's Hickory House trio are the first two that come to mind. Ray Brown's trio with Gene Harris and Jeff Hamilton is great. I guess Aaron Parks comes to mind, too, for a much more modern option with electric guitars. Or Wes Montgomery for a more old-fashioned sort of electric guitar that often gets pop-y. Or Gypsy jazz, for a much less modern option that doesn't have pianos.

I mean, I get it--to quote Dave Frishberg, jazz is a saxophone sound--but still. Piano trios (or quartets with guitars) are all over the place!

Pyrthas fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 18, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Money Jungle doesn't have horns and it's really good. But horns are also really good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Amy Winehouse was considered more of an R&B singer than a jazz vocalist. Sure, she did some jazz songs, but I didn't think she was generally considered a jazz singer.

Probably just splitting hairs in any case. :shrug:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Kvlt! posted:

Kandace Springs or Gretchen Parlato's music features few horn sections.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kvlt! posted:

You might enjoy the Dave Brubeck Quartet. It's not too heavy on the horns (one saxophone).

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

You should check out Tower of Power.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Wheat Loaf posted:

You might enjoy the Dave Brubeck Quartet. It's not too heavy on the horns (one saxophone).

Do this. And probably some Jazz-fusion stuff would be up your alley?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

You should check out Tower of Power.

Maybe not the best call for someone who doesn't like horns?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Puppy Galaxy posted:

It could have been a joke. Just a hunch.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
2016 continues to get shittier and shittier: Toots Thielemans passed away. :smith:

He lived to the ripe old age of 94 though. Rest in peace harmonica master.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Blood, Sweat & Tears would have been a more appropriate suggestion. Or perhaps early Chicago.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

BigFactory posted:

It could have been a joke. Just a hunch.

Lol I don't know why I assumed that was serious and no one say poe's law

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Good life advice from Monk http://www.listsofnote.com/2012/02/thelonious-monks-advice.html

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I just saw Donny McCaslin's quartet and it was loving good

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Jazz Marimba posted:

Avishai Cohen

Which one?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Bassist. He's not looking for horns.

also check out: Hiromi, Allison Miller, Melody Gardot

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

Backwards to In A Silent Way. Bump around the rest of Miles' fusion stuff and maybe On The Corner afterward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFA0FYQo0Gg might have horns but it's so different from all the other jazz I've heard you might like it anyway.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Sunday I went to the Chicago Jazz Festival. I was kinda bummed I couldn't go Saturday for the Bad Plus, but then this guy Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah played and I was blown away. Hip hop jazz with Native American influences.

Here they are on NPR's Tiny Desk https://youtu.be/mVJjmyFfuts

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jazz Marimba posted:

Sunday I went to the Chicago Jazz Festival. I was kinda bummed I couldn't go Saturday for the Bad Plus, but then this guy Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah played and I was blown away. Hip hop jazz with Native American influences.

Here they are on NPR's Tiny Desk https://youtu.be/mVJjmyFfuts

Oh yeah, Christian Scott has been at the forefront of the evolving jazz scene basically since he came up in 2002. He and Ambrose Akinmusire are blowing everything up, they're great. And not just cause I play trumpet as well :swoon:

He was by far the best performance of the entire weekend, followed by Anat Cohen. I just wish Shai Maestro was playing with Anat!

Bad Plus playing Science Fiction was great. My friend who was with me just kept grooving to it and every once in awhile would turn to me and be like, "Yup, this is SUPER fuckin weird. I love it." Ha! Candido Camero was pretty good, I think I must've been in the epicenter of the 'white people clapping on 1 and 3 off beat and cheering for no apparent reason' crew, but other than that a great way to close out the festival.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
It's always fun to see what people feel are some of the best jazz albums of the year. I've been really digging on Yussef Kamaal - Black Focus lately. It's perhaps a bit on the funky, electronic side at times which I often don't like but that works superbly on this album. Highly recommended for people who like stuff like Bitches Brew. I've also liked Theo Crooker's Escape Velocity. Just sweet, groovy jazz.

Star fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 31, 2016

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
BBNG IV, Emily's D+Evolution, and Escape Velocity are my picks for the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Ubiquitous_ posted:

BBNG IV, Emily's D+Evolution, and Escape Velocity are my picks for the year.

Just stumbled on BBNG's album after reading a "Best of 2016" list and it's awesome. I gotta agree that it's up there in the top.

• Locked thread