Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Welcome to the Verizon IndyCar Series 2018 Pre-Season Thread!

2018 Schedule

Off-Season Testing Schedule (PDF)

2017 Fantasy IndyCar Podium

P1: Bentai (2,541)
P2: KingShibby (-73)
P3: Dudley (-209)

Discord/IRC
Discord: https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu
#ics on irc.synirc.net

2018 Aero Kits

The Road to Indy
IndyCar features the Mazda Road to Indy ladder system, which provides a defined path for up-and-coming open-wheel racers to reach the top. Several IndyCar teams run teams in the lower series as well. Many of these series race on the same weekend as IndyCar as support races.

- IndyCar Minor Leagues, many of the current IndyCar drivers are Indy Lights graduates. Current Indy Lights Champion Ed Jones was awarded a 3 race scholarship in IndyCar this season, including the Indy 500. Jones was able to transform his scholarship into a full-time ride with Dale Coyne Racing. Now in its 3rd season, the Dallara IL-15 Chassis has received rave reviews and should better prepare drivers for the big leagues.

- Star Chassis, Mazda Renesis rotary engine, 6-speed clutchless paddleshifting just like the big boys. The current Pro Mazda chassis will be retired after this season and will be replaced by an upgraded version of the new USF2000 car seen below.

- Bottom rung of the ladder, usually first step after pro-karting. The Italian company Tattus was selected to build the new chassis for USF2000 to debut this season. This same chassis will also serve as the basis for the new Pro Mazda car in 2018.

New USF2000 car sans front wing since I was late to the reveal :saddowns:

USAC Silver Crown / Midgets - While not officially part of the Road to Indy Ladder, many current and former open wheel drivers got their start in sprint cars. One even got to kill someone on-track during a sprint race, cool huh?

The All American Soap Box Derby - They're open-wheel and have an IndyCar sticker, they count.

News and Blogs
All IndyCar "blogs" are terrible. Also fans on Twitter (except for most goons)
http://www.indystar.com/irl

Twitter
Just follow these lists
Feel free to follow me too.

IndyCar on TV

IndyCar Series
Booth: Leigh Diffey/Brian Till/Bob Varsha/Rick Allen (pre-NASCAR season), two of Townsend Bell/Paul Tracy/David Hobbs/Steve Matchett
Pits: Jon Beekhuis, Kevin Lee, Robin Miller, Marty Snider (pre-NASCAR season), Katie Hargitt (during NASCAR on NBC season)

This has always been a bit of a hodgepodge, as NBC has too few people in too many places. Diffey is excellent and calls the majority of races except those which clash with F1 telecasts, for which he's also responsible, at which point Till or Varsha pinch hit. The most typical color analysts seem to be Bell and Tracy, though Hobbs and Matchett make occasional appearances. Matchett's giddiness at Fontana last year was fun.

Indy Lights
Booth: Kevin Lee, Anders Krohn
Pits: Katie Hargitt

Much like NBC does with NASCAR's K&N and Modified series, Indy Lights races are shown in condensed, one-hour shows on tape delay. Check local listings. (Watch the race at Indianapolis.)
There's also a quarterly highlights show for USF2000 and Pro Mazda which is pretty good.

Lights races can be seen internationally on these networks:

quote:

SPORTSNET – Canada
ESPN – Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela
SPEED – Australia
SKY SPORT – New Zealand

IndyCar Series
Booth: Allen Bestwick, Eddie CheeseburgerCheever, Jr., Scott Goodyear
Pits: Jon Beekhuis, Rick DeBruhl, Dr. Jerry Punch
Host: Lindsay Czarniak (Indianapolis 500 Pre-Show)

ABC continues their longtime coverage of IndyCar racing, but are pretty much only in it at this point for the Indy 500. They've gone in recent years from the full schedule to only covering St. Pete, the Month of May, and Belle Isle. Still, Allen Bestwick, the guy who turned NBC down for NASCAR coverage to call the Indianapolis 500. Wish we could hear him more. Other than Indy 500 Qualifying, ABC doesn't broadcast any qualifying :smith:.

Indy Lights
:laffo:

IndyCar on Radio

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network is the radio home for IndyCar races throughout the season. Paul Page is lead announcer. Races can also be heard on Sirius Channel 212 or XM 209.

Internet-Based Viewing Options
Whenever practice/qualifying isn't broadcasted on TV, Timing & Scoring carries live streaming video. Also check the IndyCar YouTube page for more videos and live streaming.

Previous Threads
IndyCar 2016: A Series as Recognizable as its Champion
IndyCar 2015: It's in Jeopardy!
Indycar 2014: Formula Juan
Indiecar Series 2013: You Probably Haven't Heard of It
IndyCar Series 2012: NASCAR Refugees Welcome!
Indycar Series 2011: Dan Wheldon Appreciation Station
Izod Indycar Series 2010: Sato what happened? Sato!? SATOOOOOOOOO!
Indycar [2009] Month of May and Indy 500: Paul Tracy Revenge Edition
Indy Car 2008: Can hell freeze over twice?
Hell frozen over: Champ Car/IRL Unification [2007/8]
Indy Racing League [2007]: Yes it still exists!
Champ Car 2006 Season Thread
2005 Champ Car Season Thread

Team Lineup
Check the 2nd post.

Thread Rules
Bringing back the F1chat rule. We get it, IndyCar is an inferior form of open-wheel compared to F1 and you'd love to tell us about it, but feel free to do that in the Worst Thread. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy some actual competition and close racing over here.

:fyadride: Gateway, new USF2000 car, FERNANDO loving ALONSO
:rip: Bryan Clauson, Justin Wilson, Laguna Seca, Night Before the 500, KVSH Racing?

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Io edit:

2018 RIDES:

Limited Schedule teams
Juncos
??: Kaiser (500 + Indy GP + 2 other races)
??: Rene Binder (4 races)

Shank-SPM:
60: Harvey (6 race deal)

Potential New Teams

Notable Free Agents and Drivers That Have Expressed Interest:
  • Aleshin** (ex-SPM, likely done)
  • Claman DeMelo (Lights)
  • Davison (Lights, 500 runner)
  • Daly** (ex-Foyt)
  • Gutierrez** (ex-DCR, rumored to return)
  • JR** (ex-ECR, likely done)
  • Palmer** (ex-F1, Would bring funding)
  • Sage** (:barf:)
  • Servia** (working with SPM)
  • Saavedra**
  • Urrutia (possible full time)
  • Vautier**

500 Only Rides
  • Ryan Blaney (Interested, would be with Penske)
  • Danica
  • Helio (Penske)
  • Kyle Larson (Interested, would be with CGR)
  • JPM :smith: (possibly with SPM)
  • Mann (likely)
  • Munoz (Andretti)
  • Tony Stewart (Says he has a ride, unknown with whom)
  • Wilson (Andretti)

*Likely but not confirmed by the team itself
**Either has spent a full season prior in Indy, F1, or is a previous Lights champion

So, as it currently stands:
-20 full time rides
-1 ovals only ride (Ed Carpenter)
-1 road course only ride (Jordan King)
-1 one full time ride open (Dale Coyne)
-3 part time rides
-4 confirmed 500 only rides (28 total)
-5 unconfirmed 500 only rides (33 total assuming all unconfirmed rides happen)

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 8, 2018

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pulling for KV.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I hate that Josef's move is gonna have me cheering for a Penske driver.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

njsykora posted:

I hate that Josef's move is gonna have me cheering for a Penske driver.

While you're at it, cheer for this guy (and little guy) too

Beau William Power

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bold prediction: Everyone is poo poo and JPM wins because of his performance at Indy.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Ultra bold prediction: Carlin announces they're entering ICS for 2018 at some point in 2017.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not-at-all bold prediction: Marco claims to have made more progress in the offseason, but the only battle he really factors in is for "full season AA driver with the least points" between him and Sato-san.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
yay I named the thread

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not-at-all bold prediction: Marco claims to have made more progress in the offseason, but the only battle he really factors in is for "full season AA driver with the least points" between him and Sato-san.

Only slightly less prediction : Marco wins this battle. i.e - he's last.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm gonna make a bold rear end prediction: a third engine manufacturer is announced before the season ends (this is going to be completely wrong, but i wanna be positive)

Also less bold rear end prediction, the new car bodywork will look Good™

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

I'm gonna make a bold rear end prediction: a third engine manufacturer is announced before the season ends (this is going to be completely wrong, but i wanna be positive)

Also less bold rear end prediction, the new car bodywork will look Good™

It'll be Ford and Ganassi if it's the third IMO.

In the same vain that Chevy needed Roger? Ford would need a similar type of figure to push them in here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It seems very odd that Chip would jump to Honda if he has a further jump to Ford or someone else to follow that up in just another year, but I've been wrong on a great many things before.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm sort of hoping Toyota ends up being the third engine manufacturer, but I don't really see where the engine spec would benefit them elsewhere.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bentai posted:

I'm sort of hoping Toyota ends up being the third engine manufacturer, but I don't really see where the engine spec would benefit them elsewhere.

Honestly, with a few exceptions, where does racing engine development help anywhere on the road? The only real one I can think of is the split turbo out of F1, but that's it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Not sure what Ford has to gain from IndyCar, it's purely a branding exercise, and if "Le Mans winners" isn't selling cars then I doubt "IndyCar champions" will.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

wicka posted:

Not sure what Ford has to gain from IndyCar, it's purely a branding exercise, and if "Le Mans winners" isn't selling cars then I doubt "IndyCar champions" will.

Hate to say it, but I agree. They'd essentially be marketing to the same demographic with either the sportscar program or an IndyCar program, and if they're literally racing the model they're selling with sportscars, why bother elsewhere? I'll admit a Ford EcoBoost engine would really fit in in ICS, but the general public wouldn't care.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

wicka posted:

It's really more about marketing more than anything these days. My next car is going to be a Honda Fit is in some small part due to Honda's loyalty to IndyCar over the decades. (It's also an amazingly versatile hatch that I can actually sleep in and go camping in and such!) The more places your name gets out there, the better, and racing is as good a place as any to get into.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ford is already in NASCAR, and has been one of the two stalwarts for years alongside Chevy. Indy is still second fiddle.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah i wouldnt bet on Ford coming back to indycar anytime soon, and with VW making GBS threads the bed, VAG's long interest is surely dead. Still pulling for a third manufacturer though, be it FCA, Nissan, Hyundai/Kia, Mercedes, or whatever

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Yeah i wouldnt bet on Ford coming back to indycar anytime soon, and with VW making GBS threads the bed, VAG's long interest is surely dead. Still pulling for a third manufacturer though, be it FCA, Nissan, Hyundai/Kia, Mercedes, or whatever

I think one of the FCA brands or Mercedes are most likely.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Toyota Please.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

My only real evidence is tweeting at Chip and Hull, then them both "liking" a tweet about it. The other point was Viking's discussion with the guy about their efforts with Le Mans, why the pulled out of NHRA, etc. ("We want to win Le Mans first. That's our goal. Then we'll come back to do other things").

I think Honda has an "anchor" team with Andretti, so the concern about them is pretty much minimized. They get to be associated with THE name in IndyCar racing along with a decent track record of success (2005, 2007, 2014, and 2016 Indy 500 Champs.)

Chevy is in the sport because of Penske, and that guaranteed level of success.

I think Ganassi could potentially be the third anchor team, and for Ford he has already delivered a great deal of success to them. It's all a matter of him being able to sell them on the idea, and I think like Roger? He could very much be able to do that.

I'd also like to see Toyota and Nissan in the sport. But I'm struggling to see where Toyota's path to come back could be. I mean they have invested so much in Cup, and various devolopment series within Cup. When they were making their way into Indycar? they were investing in IMSA and the Atlantics. They don't quite have that right now stateside..\

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

wicka posted:

I think one of the FCA brands or Mercedes are most likely.

Maybe in a fantasy land where FCA actually has cash on hand.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It'd think it would be patently obvious that Ford only cares about endurance racing and building the EcoBoost brand around that. Hell, its the only type of racing actually drawing manufacturers to it. It wouldn't surprise me to see CGR draw down to two cars and concentrate the bulk of its effort(and better drivers) with Ford on IMSA/Le Mans.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

Maybe in a fantasy land where FCA actually has cash on hand.

FCA has quite a lot of cash, though? But if I were them I'd invest some of it in giving Dodge a logo/identity that doesn't make it look like a dollar store brand.

Christ, it's amazing how awful everything about Chrysler is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wicka posted:

FCA has quite a lot of cash, though? But if I were them I'd invest some of it in giving Dodge a logo/identity that doesn't make it look like a dollar store brand.

Christ, it's amazing how awful everything about Chrysler is.

no, they're cooking the books and bleeding to death. pushing back pretty much every product launch, shopping for a merger, and now rumored to be shopping alfa and Maserati around.

toyota has the 2.4 V6TT in the TS050 that could very nearly slot right in but i can't imagine how that would benefit their business.

I could see ford doing it for something else to slap an ecoboost sticker on.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this is a bit off topic but goddamn Fuzzy post in C-SPAM instead

never go full D&D

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Powershift posted:

no, they're cooking the books and bleeding to death. pushing back pretty much every product launch, shopping for a merger, and now rumored to be shopping alfa and Maserati around.

toyota has the 2.4 V6TT in the TS050 that could very nearly slot right in but i can't imagine how that would benefit their business.

I could see ford doing it for something else to slap an ecoboost sticker on.

how many series have ford pulled out of since this ad. already see V8SC and WRC

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NHRA, and Formula Ford is dead in most of the countries where it used to exist.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I don't think Mercedes is doing it either, if anything they'll put more into IMSA (as in, support Penske in DPi in 2018). I still think if FCA wants to establish Alfa they do so with IndyCar, but that's just me.

It might be Toyota if they want bang-for-buck, but that goes along with WEC (which I know is an engineering project) and WRC (unsure). Wonder how their NASCAR adventure has been helping them, I feel like they perhaps had better brand recognition in the mid-1990s because back then everything was white/orange/red and TOYOTA all over.

all said I'm excited still for IndyCar and if anybody has any tips on finding the 1:64 diecasts I'm all ears.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Marchionne has already been talking up Alfa in F1.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

NHRA, and Formula Ford is dead in most of the countries where it used to exist.

I could have sworn they released a new FF car relatively recently. Is FF that dead?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The UK series is now "MSA Formula" though technically they still use Ford engines

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Alain Post posted:

The UK series is now "MSA Formula" though technically they still use Ford engines

It's actually now British Formula 4, got renamed after Jonathan Palmer got British Formula 3 going again and decided he wanted F4 as well for the BTCC support bill since the MSA Formula (Powered by EcoBoost) cars were F4 spec anyway.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If I could fix one thing about Open Wheel Racing in general it would be its convoluted and unstable ladder system.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
midgets > sprint > silver crown > Indy

:colbert:

there, I fixed it

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

lol what did you do to deserve that av?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Minto Took posted:

Unfortunately you can't write posts that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Minto Took posted:

either I said something bad about Trump or I said something bad about Hillary, either way no one has really figured out what triggers it

in any case it loving owns and I'm glad of it

• Locked thread