Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Unpopular opinion, at least here: Judge Dredd was superior in every way to Dredd. It is also one of the only movies where Rob Schneider was a positive addition to the character list.

In the new one I don't even think he says "I am the law" ever. Come on. e: actually he does but he gets the tone all wrong.

The weird thing if you read the comics is the revelation that both films are highly accurate, because both grimdark ultraviolence and goofy satirical slapstick happen all the time. Like, the two movies are different sides of the same coin here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

caboodle posted:

I think men who still have a penis should always use the mens toilet even if they like to dress as women.
What about women who have a penis?

Jerry Cotton posted:

There should be only uni-sex toilets.
:agreed:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The UK should have a system of proportional representation even if it meant the outcome was - as it would have been last year - a Conservative coalition including UKIP and the Democratic Unionist Party.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Choco1980 posted:

The weird thing if you read the comics is the revelation that both films are highly accurate, because both grimdark ultraviolence and goofy satirical slapstick happen all the time. Like, the two movies are different sides of the same coin here.

I never read the comics and have no desire to, I just think the first one is a better movie whether you know what a judge dredd is going in or not.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I read a few Dredd comics (what the library happened to have) when I was a kid but don't remember much about them, except one where he and his psychic girlfriend go to another megacity that has been taken over by demons or something, and it was cover to cover pictures of mutilated people and monsters doing bad things to them. Left an impression on 10 year old me.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

Hellboy II has actually aged really well in terms of visuals since they made most of the stuff.

Anyway, my unpopular opinion is Hellboy II is the only superhero movie worth a drat.

"You guys seen Hellboy? Great loving movie. They really should do a third one" - Ron Perlman, payday 2

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

:agreed:

The clues in the name. Women dont have a penis.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

caboodle posted:

The clues in the name. Women dont have a penis.

Well this was a fun thread.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

The thing that bugs me is how defensive they get when you ask them to smoke their weed outside. They will insist up and down that the smell goes away and it hardly even smells like anything etc. These are usually the same people who don't take care of their cat very well but insist their house doesn't reek of cat piss.

With the all-consuming, utter fanaticism that weed smokers have for a plant, I'm honestly surprised they didn't mob you and burn the heathen at the stake.

Had some stoner literally and sincerely tell me that weed was a panacea, when I was in the city last week.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sic Semper Goon posted:

With the all-consuming, utter fanaticism that weed smokers have for a plant, I'm honestly surprised they didn't mob you and burn the heathen at the stake.

Had some stoner literally and sincerely tell me that weed was a panacea, when I was in the city last week.

I, personally, don't give a poo poo if people want to smoke week but boy howdy does that poo poo get aggravating. Not everybody is going to want to smoke weed and most people won't want to smoke it every day. It's like...some people smoke it, some people don't. Why do some people treat "get everybody to smoke weed" like some kind of holy crusade?

The dumbest thing was when a hardcore weed smoker tried to convince me that we'd forever have world peace and no more social ills if we just got the whole world to smoke weed together for 24 hours. I'm like...no dude, that's a terrible idea.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sponsored by Doritos.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

Any game that holds your XP hostage via repetition of an entire sequence, most likely itself repeated several additional times, is poo poo.

That's a pretty bad way to look at it. Instead, you could realize that losing your souls isn't actually a big deal because you can just get more anyway, and you'll never have to worry about losing levels or gear. Or, you could realize that you shouldn't be carrying around large quantities of souls to lose in the first place. Maybe try approaching things from a different direction rather than proclaiming that it's poo poo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

My SIL tried desperately to convince her son to stop chemo and just smoke weed and I could've clawed her eyes out. He handled it quite nicely for me by asking, " What the hell is wrong with you?" and dropping contact with her not long after. Also had to battle her regularly on no, weed is not good for my asthma and yes, it is possible for people to be allergic to it. It's a plant.

The holy crusade thing is really weird. Are there other drugs/hobbies that treat it as such?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Das Boo posted:

The holy crusade thing is really weird. Are there other drugs/hobbies that treat it as such?

I've got a relative that's "holy crusade" levels of aggressive about ayahuasca. It's, uh. It can get pretty frustrating.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Das Boo posted:

My SIL tried desperately to convince her son to stop chemo and just smoke weed and I could've clawed her eyes out. He handled it quite nicely for me by asking, " What the hell is wrong with you?" and dropping contact with her not long after. Also had to battle her regularly on no, weed is not good for my asthma and yes, it is possible for people to be allergic to it. It's a plant.

Capitalism and liberalism spring to mind.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Some (most) people will just be evangelistic about nearly anything.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Some (most) people will just be evangelistic about nearly anything.

But have you tried dipping the fries into the milk shake?!?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Finding a hair in your food at a restaurant isn't a big deal. It isn't like a severed finger or a band-aid.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

Finding a hair in your food at a restaurant isn't a big deal. It isn't like a severed finger or a band-aid.

I mean if it's baked in bread or something you know it's been thoroughly cooked but if it's just on top and possibly a bit curly well...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Video game stories are incredibly dull. I skip through any cinematics that let me and just want to beat the thing.
If a game has unskippable dialogue or cutscenes then it had better be the best, most fun game ever to make up for making me sit through that dumb, pointless bullshit.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tiggum posted:

If a game has unskippable dialogue or cutscenes then it had better be the best, most fun game ever to make up for making me sit through that dumb, pointless bullshit.

far cry 3 (and apparently 4) did this, and it was certainly not the best game ever. it was pretty fun, though. seriously though gently caress that game and its lovely story holy gently caress it was stupid

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Low Desert Punk posted:

In theory, yes. But drat if stray hair doesn't gross me out.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Collateral Damage posted:

Kuzco is the best Disney princess.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

One of the recent need for speed games did this, except the cutscenes were all live action.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think most cis women feminists dont really like or give a poo poo about trans women or gender-nonconforming males, just kinda give lip service to them and use them as accessories or pretend they're so tolerant and accepting by allowing them to be around. I still think feminism should be female-only but i wish everyone would be more honest about this sort of thing. Ive noticed a lot of them will job-shame men ("He works minimum wage! LOL!") at the drop of a hat, which i actually kinda do have a problem with. Male rape victims also get mocked. Also a lot of online feminists are bourgeoisie as gently caress and will happily support capitalism so long as they benefit from it and think nothing of it.

edited to add:

And for something more light-hearted: Encino Man and Waterworld are good movies. So is Congo. I've said as much many times. Also, the Star Wars Prequels are NOT better than the newer Star Wars movies (Force Awakens, Rogue One) but theyve got more memorable and creative stuff in them. I like the long-neck clone aliens on that water planet, i like the monsters in the arena, i like the underwater bubble city that Jar Jar binks takes them to, i like the pod race, i like the nightlife of Coruscant, I like that shapeshifting alien hitman. So far, we havent had anything that memorable or cool in the newer movies.

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Jan 1, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Deadpool was one of the better superhero movies in that it was a completely typical superhero film with slightly more insight into the main character than normal, and there was a pair of tits.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Blue Star posted:

I think most cis women feminists dont really like or give a poo poo about trans women or gender-nonconforming males, just kinda give lip service to them and use them as accessories or pretend they're so tolerant and accepting by allowing them to be around. I still think feminism should be female-only but i wish everyone would be more honest about this sort of thing. Ive noticed a lot of them will job-shame men ("He works minimum wage! LOL!") at the drop of a hat, which i actually kinda do have a problem with. Male rape victims also get mocked. Also a lot of online feminists are bourgeoisie as gently caress and will happily support capitalism so long as they benefit from it and think nothing of it.
There are a lot of people who like to call themselves activists for various causes, be it gender/race equality, animal rights, eco-conservation, lgbt rights etc but are really just using it as a fashion statement and don't give a poo poo or as you mentioned are just as bigoted themselves. The people who actually do good work generally don't label themselves and aren't super vocal about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

99% of people online are activists, in that they are actively trying to get attention for themselves or clicks for their dumb website. It requires almost no effort to write up a hot take thinkpiece and regardless of quality, all you have to do is say something inflammatory and you will be famous for like 2 days. Then you get to revel in like minded people telling you how right you are and you even get to play a victim when inevitable trolls come out of the woodwork. Basically, my point is gently caress everything.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

You're free to dislike the system, but the incredible death penalty is sort of a cornerstone of Soulsborne difficulty; saying you don't like them because of that system but not because of the difficulty doesn't really make sense.

Dark Souls was pretty interesting because it was one of the few bideo gaems that told most of its story through the actual gameplay, and that includes the steep learning curve and maddening features like xp loss, most others try to go for a more cinematic experience where you sit through plot dumps while only controlling the action sequences (or picking just the flavor of a dialogue option). If you perform poorly or die in DS that's just part of the intended experience, other games have to pretend character deaths or poor mission performances don't happen with respect to the stories they tell because you're usually taking the role of a mortal but elite, veteran protagonist who never fails, unless by inevitable betrayal.

In general the DS writers seemed like they knew they were creating the lore and backstory for a gideo vame, and not an epic fantasy novel, so they made appropriate decisions. It's an oddly neat and tidy experience but you have to like the gameplay to get the most of it. A lot of people won't like the gameplay tho.

Blue Star posted:

This is the problem I have with most online activisms, despite being united by a common rhetoric a lot these groups are weirdly balkanized at the popular level. You sometimes have groups founded with the apparent aim of conflict with another group despite both having essentially the same ideas/goals (BLM, ALM). A lot of people seem to only support groups that cater to their demographic, only support sub-causes that are relevant to their own lives and prefer narrow views, their own, on acceptable arguments. Outsiders are more likely to be antagonized than be persuaded to join. It's a very vain approach to accomplishing something that's mostly selfless at its core (helping total strangers) and it doesn't make sense in democratic nations where you need as much support as possible to effect change. I'm not surprised some people call it a fashion statement when it's done like that.

vvv e: you'd be surprised tho, some people would call things like raising profile and awareness action

hard counter has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Jan 2, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Discussing a thing isn't the same as activism for that thing. Activism requires, well, action, and discussing a topic isn't positive action towards the outcomes being described, per se.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Let's not legitimize "All Lives Matter" idiots by pretending they actually have a cause.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Audiophiles are crazy, but to be honest most people listen to their music on completely dogshit speakers and seem to be weirdly okay with that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pick posted:

Audiophiles are crazy, but to be honest most people listen to their music on completely dogshit speakers and seem to be weirdly okay with that.

That's because hearing doesn't happen in the ears (which is where everything coming out of those dogshit speakers goes into), it happens in the brain. After a brain has adapted to the dogshit speakers, they literally sound good.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Don't do this. Also, Dark Souls has no story, it has story-related flavoring poured over an action game.

Pick posted:

Outside of crackling or other obvious distortions, I have never been able to tell audio quality apart. Either audio is playing or it's being played incorrectly, I honestly can't tell what "better" audio is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Outside of crackling or other obvious distortions, I have never been able to tell audio quality apart. Either audio is playing or it's being played incorrectly, I honestly can't tell what "better" audio is.

Well if you're used to lovely speakers and try out better ones you might find that "oh wait what the gently caress this song has a flute? and cello?" which is what happened to me when I got some decent headphones for my PC.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Standard, inexpensive desktop computer speakers sound just fine. Really cheap speakers sound like garbage but standard computer speakers do the job well enough. They can't get really loud of course but I never, ever need that and as an apartment dweller my neighbors would hate that.

Audiophiles are the ones that can totally for real tell the difference between wires just by listening. Except that is provably bullshit. Audiophiles couldn't tell the difference between top of the line wires and a pair of metal coat hangers twisted into wires.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well if you're used to lovely speakers and try out better ones you might find that "oh wait what the gently caress this song has a flute? and cello?" which is what happened to me when I got some decent headphones for my PC.

It depends on what we're defining as "lovely speakers" because mine are:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Standard, inexpensive desktop computer speakers

With good reviews, so I find it hard to believe they are lovely. To me, a lovely speaker is broken, or so underpowered as to be laughable, like the kind inside kid's toys that make noise.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

Let's not legitimize "All Lives Matter" idiots by pretending they actually have a cause.

I'm not the one legitimizing them per se, apparently like 3/4ths of Americans support them over the alternative and it has actual senatorial support despite being a little thin around the edges. It's definitely worth mentioning as a sectarian thing that weirdly exists.

WampaLord posted:

Dark Souls has no story, it has story-related flavoring poured over an action game.

Nah, it's just primarily told through action. It's neat how much legitimate enthusiasm some people have over puzzling it all together too :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dark Souls does have a story, but it all happened before you start playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hard counter posted:

Nah, it's just primarily told through action. It's neat how much legitimate enthusiasm some people have over puzzling it all together too :allears:

I don't think mental illness is neat.