Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I think the most obvious issue you have currently is that your screenshots are thumbnailed. No one really wants to individually click on images to tell what's going on in the tiny preview. Also I'm wanting to say that the archives has an image size limit, which is only really a problem I guess if you're wanting to save this all for posterity but 1440 is pretty large either way for screenshots.

Also I feel like there's some underlying reason why we tend to use lpix over Imgur for LP's, but I can't really remember for certain why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

discworld is all I read posted:

I think the most obvious issue you have currently is that your screenshots are thumbnailed. No one really wants to individually click on images to tell what's going on in the tiny preview. Also I'm wanting to say that the archives has an image size limit, which is only really a problem I guess if you're wanting to save this all for posterity but 1440 is pretty large either way for screenshots.

Also I feel like there's some underlying reason why we tend to use lpix over Imgur for LP's, but I can't really remember for certain why.

Imgur severely compresses images over 1-3mb iirc.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think imgur also deletes images that aren't viewed after 1-3 months?

Even worse, their ToS supposedly prohibits linking direct to images, which when you talk about a stream or something for random fanart isn't too bad, but obviously 40-100 images getting hit with each post by each view would probably get nailed fast.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

Even worse, their ToS supposedly prohibits linking direct to images
So why do they give direct links to images after upload?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

So why do they give direct links to images after upload?

they don't

"direct links" means something like http://i.imgur.com/EFLZz66.png, which imgur doesn't provide directly

Red Metal fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 31, 2016

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Red Metal posted:

they don't

"direct links" means something like http://i.imgur.com/EFLZz66.png, which imgur doesn't provide directly

But they provide share links which include the direct link in [img] tags? :confused:

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Podima posted:

But they provide share links which include the direct link in [img] tags? :confused:

I'm not seeing that

e: nvm found them

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Red Metal posted:

I'm not seeing that

e: nvm found them

They used to be way more visible. The new UX design from a few months ago almost completely hid them, afaik they're only visible when you first upload a new picture, you can't find them for existing pictures anymore.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Weird, I can get the links to my images in imgur no problem.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Weird, I can get the links to my images in imgur no problem.

What about preformatted [img] links to other people's images? True, those don't matter much in letsplay, but elsewhere on the forums, imgur has become somewhat more annoying to use since the redesign.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I never had to link someone else's imgur image. :shrug: Sorry, I guess I didn't know what you were talking about.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wasn't there a test post that had problems with imgur deleting their image and reusing the link for a different image?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I think this is the thread that I need. I require Non-Technical LP support. I am hosting the Let's Play Mirror's Edge Co-op thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775454&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 and uploaded my second to last video to Youtube just now but when I went to post an update my thread had been locked for archiving (I'm assuming due to lack of act of activity for almost 3 months.) I wanted to finish my LP before 2016 ended but now I'm not certain as to how. I assume I need to get in contact with a mod or something but I'm not certain how moving threads to the SA archives work.

Please send help. Thank you.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aquasnake posted:

I think this is the thread that I need. I require Non-Technical LP support. I am hosting the Let's Play Mirror's Edge Co-op thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775454&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 and uploaded my second to last video to Youtube just now but when I went to post an update my thread had been locked for archiving (I'm assuming due to lack of act of activity for almost 3 months.) I wanted to finish my LP before 2016 ended but now I'm not certain as to how. I assume I need to get in contact with a mod or something but I'm not certain how moving threads to the SA archives work.

Once a thread's been locked for inactivity, that's it, that thread is dead. If you wanna continue your LP thread, you'll have to open a new one and provide links to the old updates and explain your situation.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Aquasnake posted:

I'm pretty sure that once your thread is locked for archiving, then it's curtains for that thread. You're probably going to have to make a new one, even if it's going to be done in two videos.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Aquasnake posted:

Your thread has been archived. There is nothing mods or admins can do. Make a new thread, include links to previous videos--that's the most common solution.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

ChaosArgate posted:

Once a thread's been locked for inactivity, that's it, that thread is dead. If you wanna continue your LP thread, you'll have to open a new one and provide links to the old updates and explain your situation.

That was my fear, but thank you for the quick responses.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Huh, when did the forum start archiving threads again?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Huh, when did the forum start archiving threads again?

IIRC archiving was still off due to the last mishap and ZDR didn't notice until recently when someone mentioned it.

So if you've got an LP you might continue, at least keep the thread bumped every three months.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Leal posted:

Wasn't there a test post that had problems with imgur deleting their image and reusing the link for a different image?

I can't remember what exactly it was, but no, that was some other image host.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, I wanna say that was Tinypic. I wish I had that post still on-hand because it's kind of great.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kadorhal posted:

I can't remember what exactly it was, but no, that was some other image host.

waffleimages or something along those lines. The "best" example was some old wargame that would randomly go between game screenshots and random profile pictures or pictures of flowers and dogs and stuff.

As for actual content, with regards to Ultimate General, the Shadowplay notifications bug me a little, but I noticed the gameplay screens didn't have them. If they creep up too often, or you can't disable the notifications (I don't remember this being the case), you might want to consider something like Irfanview.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
It was tinypic:

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Obong-Ni Ridge: Turn 2

Our Machinegunners and Snipers are capable of stopping the visible North Korean infantry formation. Ideally, during this mission, you fight the enemy to a standstill during their turn and repulse them during yours.

A mortar barrage is lined up, which will hopefully supress the initial charge to the point where an initial lucky charge is impossible.

You may also notice that there are fighter sections available. This will be useful once push comes to shove and we want to rake the entire North Korean force in one blow.

One of our snipers takes some return fire when he tries to fire at the North Koreans; he doesn't fire again for the turn, but this still turns out to be a blessing in disguise. Not only was the sniper not hit (the attack percentages were all 1-5), but a few North Korean units revealed themselves while attacking.

An 82mm barrage hits the Marines on the central ridge. I don't believe there are any casualties but they have their heads down (rallies were mostly successful though).

This bombardment was a herald for the arrival of the T-34/85's. The tank assault wasn't very successful though; not only were all of the tanks buttoned repeatedly, but none of them got an attack off, and while firing a BAR at the northern T-85, some stray shots caused seven casualties to a sapper section that was hiding near it.

The North Korean infantry force looks like it's slowly dissolving in some sort of acid (and the acid is bullets).

A huge part of this battle comes down to whether we can eliminate the first wave of tanks successfully. One or two of them already narrowly avoided shots from M20 bazookas, so I think we should destroy at least one next turn. I'm still quite concerned about the precision of that 82mm barrage; I'm worried if the enemy can repeat that kind of luck.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mega64 posted:

IIRC archiving was still off due to the last mishap and ZDR didn't notice until recently when someone mentioned it.

So if you've got an LP you might continue, at least keep the thread bumped every three months.

Yeah, it came back online in the last few days because I checked the Ace Combat 2/Assault Horizon Legacy thread last week and it was still open (because I have one final update that I keep putting off and putting off for it that I'm gonna have to throw into the Ace Combat 04 thread now) and the thread was Archive Locked, and the last post in that one was late August.

Basically, if your thread hasn't seen a reply since like Mid October-ish, it's been Archive Locked.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Since I really didn't have enough footfall to justify a whole second thread just for the last update I'm just posting to say that if anyone was following my EDF2017 LP, the final 5 videos are now availiable on my youtube channel.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

Since I really didn't have enough footfall to justify a whole second thread just for the last update I'm just posting to say that if anyone was following my EDF2017 LP, the final 5 videos are now availiable on my youtube channel.

You could also probably get away with posting the final updates in the Casual LP thread.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, it came back online in the last few days because I checked the Ace Combat 2/Assault Horizon Legacy thread last week and it was still open (because I have one final update that I keep putting off and putting off for it that I'm gonna have to throw into the Ace Combat 04 thread now) and the thread was Archive Locked, and the last post in that one was late August.

Basically, if your thread hasn't seen a reply since like Mid October-ish, it's been Archive Locked.

Unless I'm mistaken, LP threads get Archive Locked after 2 months of inactivity while every other thread gets 3 months. Which means that, at this time, starting tomorrow LP threads that have been inactive since November are at risk while it's October for every other thread.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Mraagvpeine posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, LP threads get Archive Locked after 2 months of inactivity while every other thread gets 3 months. Which means that, at this time, starting tomorrow LP threads that have been inactive since November are at risk while it's October for every other thread.

gently caress. I wanted to edit my OP some as well as post some of the stuff I missed.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

wdarkk posted:

gently caress. I wanted to edit my OP some as well as post some of the stuff I missed.

Baldurk, being infinitely wise and benevolent towards all, I'm pretty sure he's made alterations to OPs and things after the fact. Probably just rewrite your intended OP in the test poster and tell him to use that instead. And if it isn't done, as long as Crow's right about the casual thread being kosher just throw whatever in there to finish it off.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FeyerbrandX posted:

And if it isn't done, as long as Crow's right about the casual thread being kosher just throw whatever in there to finish it off.

Go for it. The Casual Thread is pretty casual about what gets posted in there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As the king of the Casual Thread, I decree that you can post pretty much whatever you want in there as long as it's a let's play and is not of Huniepop

edit: Those are good enough to go on the main forum!

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Haha, yes!

I can't believe there are other people who remember this.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed

The 'second' Akiba's Trip game, although it doesn't have any real connection beyond both games taking place in Akihabara and sharing the same basic concept. Also, despite "Undead" being in the title, you aren't fighting zombies or anything, just your friendly neighborhood manmade vampires, Synthisters.

Akiba's Trip U&U revolves are the Akibahara Freedom Fighters, a group of friends who basically take it upon themselves to patrol and keep the streets of Akihabara safe. This all takes on a new twist, when the protagonist - default name Nanashi - accepts a really shady part-time job offer and ends up turned into a Synthister himself. Stuff and things happen, and before they know it, there's an actual plot going on that involves the fate of Akihabara and the world! ... Or close enough, anyway. There's totally a plot.

Even if the game really is just a huge excuse to throw out anime, manga and game references, while letting you beat up Synthisters and normal people, to nick their clothes. That and its a fairly faithful recreation of what the real world Akiba looks like, and even includes flyers from some 130 real-world shops as an added collectible.

My plan for this LP is to aim to just clear the game as best as I can, including all 'four' routes. It's not going to be a 100% clear, probably, since I don't actually know how to get all the flyers, and seeing my run around checking every area over and over for them would probably be boring. But I will at least try to showcase all the content there is, including the side quests since they can be fairly amusing, and the Battle Arena is the way to get the really great stripping styles.

It's all video format, commentated by me. This is also my first LP at all, so I apologize in advance for any issues that might arise. And I also apologize if my voice makes you want to cry and sob.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8qKq1kC3Pw

- - -

Maybe not the most amazing OP ever, but what do you think? I've never tried Polsy, but I can upload the stuff to it as well if required/desired.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Polsy isn't an upload site, you feed it a YouTube link and it gives you a page with just the video, no comments or relateds or anything else that could provide spoilers. Handy tool for LPs of plot-heavy games or blind runs.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

Polsy isn't an upload site, you feed it a YouTube link and it gives you a page with just the video, no comments or relateds or anything else that could provide spoilers. Handy tool for LPs of plot-heavy games or blind runs.

Oh I see. Well Akiba's Trip isn't the plot-heaviest and I know how to do the game, so I guess it isn't too required. That's still pretty handy to know though, thanks.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

krisslanza posted:

Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed

The sound balance is pretty bad - I can barely hear you over the game audio. I'd recommend dropping the music level in the options a bit, at least, but you can probably get away with just lowering the game audio in post or raising your own voice level.

EDIT: The first combat just started and I can't hear you at all.

EDIT 2: Please don't do data management during an LP video. This isn't a stream and you can edit out stuff that doesn't need to be there, or just wait until you're done recording to delete your old saves.

EDIT 3: "We don't have access to the map." It's in the lower right.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 5, 2017

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Nidoking posted:

The sound balance is pretty bad - I can barely hear you over the game audio. I'd recommend dropping the music level in the options a bit, at least, but you can probably get away with just lowering the game audio in post or raising your own voice level.

EDIT: The first combat just started and I can't hear you at all.

EDIT 2: Please don't do data management during an LP video. This isn't a stream and you can edit out stuff that doesn't need to be there, or just wait until you're done recording to delete your old saves.

EDIT 3: "We don't have access to the map." It's in the lower right.

Thanks for that. I know I did some test videos before hand, but it was only comparing my voice with the audio at the game menu. I'll need to fiddle with it, since I think the game audio actually gets louder in-game or something.
And yeah, I really shouldn't have done that deleting of the broken saves, not sure why hard deleting them actually left 'broken data' there.

Thanks for the feedback!

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've been thinking about trying out Elder Scrolls Online, and I figure doing a Let's Play would be the best excuse to justify dropping however much it costs. What I want, though, is a couple of other players to LP along with me in the other two factions, posting in a round robin configuration. I asked Lizard Wizard (of course I did), but he's got his own LPs to deal with.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

ScreamingLlama posted:

I've been thinking about trying out Elder Scrolls Online, and I figure doing a Let's Play would be the best excuse to justify dropping however much it costs. What I want, though, is a couple of other players to LP along with me in the other two factions, posting in a round robin configuration. I asked Lizard Wizard (of course I did), but he's got his own LPs to deal with.

Gotcha covered there: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758154

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

its less that he needs people to talk, he needs people to talk and also record/play footage from the other factions if im reading it correctly, because you can't change factions on a character iirc

it might get more traction in the ESO thread; i had a sub but i've got too much to do right now to take on an MMO LP, good luck tho