Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Jose Oquendo posted:

He directed a part of it, but yeah you're right. Sorry. Working off a little sleep. What I meant is that they're pre-disposed against the Snyder-verse.

Everyone has an anti-Snyder bias, have you read the reviews?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's not like it's undeserved.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jose Oquendo posted:

They are very biased against Zack Snyder. They were not going to like it regardless of the quality of the film. They went in pre-disposed to hate it. Same with BvS. Was Suicide Squad a great film? Not really. Was it "worst of 2016 bad?" Not by a long shot.

I also don't understand their hate for Troma films.

Sir this is an Arby's drive thru.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dmitri-9 posted:

Everyone has an anti-Snyder bias, have you read the reviews?

Everyone with sense at least.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Comic book movies are bad and dumb. Comic book movies deserve Zack Snyder.
I do like that the apparent nerd turnaround on Snyder happened when he started changing things about Batman and superman oh nooo!!! meanwhile how many of those people were eating up the mediocre fascist propaganda (but it's supposed to be inaccurate man!!! It's supposed to be racist propaganda! Verhoeven!) that is 300

Dawn of the Dead was okay tho and who can hate on Oscar Isaac singing in a movie ever

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

BvS isn't a movie, it is just a series of scenes put one after another. 9/11 Jesus Superman is more grim and dire than anything in Watchmen.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dmitri-9 posted:

BvS isn't a movie, it is just a series of scenes put one after another. 9/11 Jesus Superman is more grim and dire than anything in Watchmen.
Sir this is a thread about movies

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A man from the House of El written by a couple Jewish kids in the 30's has religious undertones?! What in the flying heck!

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Jimbot posted:

A man from the House of El written by a couple Jewish kids in the 30's has religious undertones?! What in the flying heck!

Yeah but you can't be Jesus, Ayn Rand, and Osama bin Laden at the same time. That is just absurd.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

Yeah but you can't be Jesus, Ayn Rand, and Osama bin Laden at the same time. That is just absurd.

That's just the world's fault for assigning those comparisons to him. For the movie's story, he's more along the lines of Jesus for how he effects the world, and Bruce, by the end. It's definitely a film that anti-fascist. Might doesn't make right in that film and the person who sees the world that way is depicted as an pretty unhinged. It's part of the reason why I like it so much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Troma film" could mean so many things though, like I get why they would be down on "the typical Troma film" which is probably what they mean, but at the same time, Tromeo and Juliet, Killer Condom, LolliLove, and a bunch more I'm sure I'm forgetting, are legitimately good films

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

precision posted:

"Troma film" could mean so many things though, like I get why they would be down on "the typical Troma film" which is probably what they mean, but at the same time, Tromeo and Juliet, Killer Condom, LolliLove, and a bunch more I'm sure I'm forgetting, are legitimately good films

yea "Troma film" alone is pretty useless as a term at this point. I'm also pretty sick of the 'standard' Troma film too but they've done enough mold breaking to have some gold stars despite that feeling. I think they've mentioned a couple of those as movies they like so, yea they probably just use that to mean the general 'style'.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I've been enjoying these, but then I found the Star Trek Into Darkness "on screen" episode where they think it's a good movie and ugh.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Dmitri-9 posted:

BvS isn't a movie, it is just a series of scenes put one after another. SEVENTY-FIVE 9/11 Jesus Superman is more grim and dire than anything in Watchmen.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Parademons are dope; they're just Parakoopas except From Hell.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
They're called Parakoopas. Play a loving video game :argh:

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

They're called Parakoopas. Play a loving video game :argh:

that's what I said?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/815630083381755904

asscreed it is then

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Collateral beauty?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Passengers?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'm going to go wildcard and guess "Why Him?" or "Passengers". I didn't hate Passengers but I can see why people would want to riff on it and tear it apart.

Also I'm opening a bar called Irish Blockbuster. Waking Ned Divine posters all over the place and Guinness Gummies as snacks.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Did they not know better and went to see Assassin's Creed?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm guessing Collateral Beauty because it's the kind of dramatic trainwreck they have a soft spot for.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really hope it's Collateral Beauty.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I desperately hope Hardcore Henry shows up at some point in the month, because gently caress that movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I desperately hope Hardcore Henry shows up at some point in the month, because gently caress that movie

Even if you hated it, I can't imagine having an hour plus long conversation about it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hardcore Henry as one of the worst films of 2016? Cmon! It's the best most successfully executed video game movie adaptation ever made even though it's not based on a video game and even if that isn't saying much
Grab some beers some tall glasses of water and some friends and see hardcore Henry in theaters and don't tell me that ain't a dumb but fun time

Also I'm hoping it's collateral beauty because yikes yikes yikes

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What's so bad about it? It doesn't look great and I'm sure the perspective gets old fast, but I hadn't heard anything scathing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Even if you hated it, I can't imagine having an hour plus long conversation about it.
I didn't hate it but I could easily see the ep. They've made more with less.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ror posted:

What's so bad about it? It doesn't look great and I'm sure the perspective gets old fast, but I hadn't heard anything scathing.

You learn everything you need to know about Hardcore Henry watching a kill count video on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0eSFUuB7k8

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

If its Collateral Beauty then I'm calling in Seven Pounds for listener request month. Will Smith dramas suck.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like my fun experience watching Cloverfield on opening night with no previous info (or even having heard of it or seen the marketing), Hardcore Henry is a completely shallow stupid film but it's still entertaining and fun in a Universal Studios theater ride type way. You can't watch it more than once and god help you if you're watching it on YouTube or a tv or anywhere other than a movie theater

It never really advertised itself as anything but what it was though. I mean there's a random telekinetic villain and they don't really explain why he has powers in this "realistic" gun cam parkour movie or why there are floating airship research labs and super cyborgs but they don't really need to. It's the most video game movie ever made for better or worse, multiple transitions to new locations are literally "see that new dot on your GPS? Now you gotta go there and kill people in theatric over the top ways" and there's something so perfectly dumb about that execution. There's even a respawning Sharlto Copley NPC companion basically
Any objections over the treatment of female characters is completely justified though, they're there either for vengeance or eye candy, but again that's pretty video game and true of a lot of wildly embraced action films

I'm really really glad it failed though, because you only need one of these movies ever and I was a little worried we'd get a bunch of movies that look like FPS let's plays

I'm more offended by the saccharine disengenous engagement of a film like Collateral Beauty and its attempted profundities. Hardcore Henry is at least "real". Real dumb.

I haven't seen Suicide Squad or many truly bad movies this year though.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 2, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
In a year when the following movies were released:
  • The 5th Wave
  • 50 Shades Of Black
  • Pride And Prejudice And Zombies
  • Gods Of Egypt
  • Risen
  • God's Not Dead 2
  • The Huntsman: Winter War
  • Warcraft
  • Independence Day: Resurgence
  • Yoga Hosers
  • Max Steel
  • I'm Not Ashamed
  • Underworld: Blood Wars
  • Assassins Creed

Crying for the blood of Hardcore Henry, Suicide Squad, or Batman and Robin is silly. I mean, I personally hated the poo poo out of Don't Breathe, but I hardly expect it to show up. Though given how much the guys have hated everything put out by DC since the Nolan Batman movies, half the month may well be eaten up by the two movies they already did On Screens about.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ror posted:

Partly it barely has a plot, partly the entirety of the "film", from the perspective gimmick through the performances and literally everything except the length, feels like someone released a mediocre simulator ride video as a movie by accident. It's like watching someone do a longplay of a lovely Mirror 's Edge knockoff. There's only one good thing about that whole film and it's Sharlto Copley, and he's not even in it much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gyges posted:

In a year when the following movies were released:
  • The 5th Wave
  • 50 Shades Of Black
  • Pride And Prejudice And Zombies
  • Gods Of Egypt
  • Risen
  • God's Not Dead 2
  • The Huntsman: Winter War
  • Warcraft
  • Independence Day: Resurgence
  • Yoga Hosers
  • Max Steel
  • I'm Not Ashamed
  • Underworld: Blood Wars
  • Assassins Creed

Crying for the blood of Hardcore Henry, Suicide Squad, or Batman and Robin is silly. I mean, I personally hated the poo poo out of Don't Breathe, but I hardly expect it to show up. Though given how much the guys have hated everything put out by DC since the Nolan Batman movies, half the month may well be eaten up by the two movies they already did On Screens about.

I think you'll find that Gods of Egypt actually owns super hard and does not belong on that list.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sharlto Copley isn't in it much? There are literally multiple Sharlto Copleys. What other movie has Sharlto Copley dying over and over? At one point you have a gang of Sharlto Copleys in the fight, one of which is a British ww1 soldier complete with accent and costume. If you dream of cloning Sharlto Copley and playing dress up with him this is the movie for you
(I like typing out "Sharlto Copley")
It definitely does feel like someone doing a mirror's edge knockoff except it's...not a video game... so the stunts are kinda awesome at least if you're high af
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph5YmTDDdVI
Def not a good movie though. It's a fully one time gimmick film

Also holy poo poo you've got a great point, Gyges, I'd completely forgotten Yoga Hosers existed. Now there's a WHM ep, have the boys ever done one of Kevin Smith's many lovely to mediocre films? I forget

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 2, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I did hear Warcraft and Gods of Egypt weren't as bad as their reputations though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Warcraft is simply too boring to make a good episode. Every time it's come up with people in my life, I don't go on a rant about how stupid it was, I'm just like "It was super boring, none of the characters had any personality, my wife and I walked out halfway through". There isn't actually a lot of stupid bullshit in it (like there is in the games) and no glaring plot holes or particularly awful performances.

Gods of Egypt is just straight up an enjoyable movie. It also didn't do quite as badly at the box office as you may think.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

precision posted:

Warcraft is simply too boring to make a good episode. Every time it's come up with people in my life, I don't go on a rant about how stupid it was, I'm just like "It was super boring, none of the characters had any personality, my wife and I walked out halfway through". There isn't actually a lot of stupid bullshit in it (like there is in the games) and no glaring plot holes or particularly awful performances.

Gods of Egypt is just straight up an enjoyable movie. It also didn't do quite as badly at the box office as you may think.

Admittedly that is the biggest flaw in the "Worst Movie" framework. There's arguably no sin greater for a movie than to simply be boring. Incompetent, infuriating, incredulity inspiring, or any number of other major flaws a movie can have at least give you a reaction, a feeling. But boring? Jesus, you're worse than amateur youtube videos of Uncle Steve getting kicked in the nuts by a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I am also positive they have said they are not doing world of Warcraft