Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

dangerann posted:

Headed to Global Foods this weekend to stock up on international dines.

Also going to pick up Branston Pickle for cheese sandwiches. Has anyone tried it and found it to be a dine -acceptable accoutrement?

Branston for cheese sandwiches = delicious and dadly as gently caress

Branston for dines = :chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
What's up dine bros!
Finally got around to trying Kipper Snacks tonight, had a tin of Crown Prince, as that was the only brand available locally, and I have to say they were OK, certainly not offensive, but kind of boring, if that makes sense. Did some googling to figure out how they are processed, and decided that they should probably have a similar flavor level to something like brined and smoked salmon, and obviously that's not the case. I ate them on Ritz with some hot sauce, on hindsight, I should have gone with a saltier multigrain cracker, but oh well.

I'm assuming that Crown Prince ones aren't anything special, so is there a stand out brand I should look out for? And how do you eat them? In probably not going to be cooking them, as my kids already think I'm trying to poison them when I crank open a can of any kind of fish, so cold preparation ideas would be best.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

^ the polar brand are really nice in comparison to the other ones I've had (brunswick, chicken of the sea) but I think most of them would benefit from a little extra salt, especially on a cracker like you mentioned. they are a bit boring now that I think about it, but I still like them.

I'm not able to do pickled herring @ midnight with my parents this year, but I might open up a can of sardines and share them with my brother and then have gross fish burps on my husband all night

e: god I want that pickled herring wtf

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Snoo posted:

I'm not able to do pickled herring @ midnight with my parents this year, but I might open up a can of sardines and share them with my brother and then have gross fish burps on my husband all night

e: god I want that pickled herring wtf

Where are you from, that pickled herring is a New Year's Eve tradition? Growing up, my Jewish family would get it with bagels on Sunday mornings, alongside the nova salmon. I love it like crazy, especially the Blue Hill Bay brand that I used to be able to find at Costco in huge glass jars.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Where are you from, that pickled herring is a New Year's Eve tradition? Growing up, my Jewish family would get it with bagels on Sunday mornings, alongside the nova salmon. I love it like crazy, especially the Blue Hill Bay brand that I used to be able to find at Costco in huge glass jars.

I honestly don't know a lot about my family further back than grandparents but my dad (who carries on a few jewish traditions because of his parents) grew up in pennsylvania/maryland with a lot of german, polish and jewish people afaik.

my (step?) grandfather that we saw really often was jewish and I loved when he'd bring us lox bagels :3: and make matzo brei. he also did the pickled herring thing on new year's.

we always had the creamy kind of pickled herring though!

e: I haven't had gefilte fish in like a decade, I wonder if I should give it a try again :v:

snoo fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 1, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Snoo posted:

I honestly don't know a lot about my family further back than grandparents but my dad (who carries on a few jewish traditions because of his parents) grew up in pennsylvania/maryland with a lot of german, polish and jewish people afaik.

my (step?) grandfather that we saw really often was jewish and I loved when he'd bring us lox bagels :3: and make matzo brei. he also did the pickled herring thing on new year's.

we always had the creamy kind of pickled herring though!

e: I haven't had gefilte fish in like a decade, I wonder if I should give it a try again :v:

I like gefilte fish, but I completely understand why others might not. I'd actually recommend it to these 'dine aficionados, another preserved fish product worth trying at least once.

And I love pickled herring in sour cream sauce OR wine sauce. It's so, so good.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
I meant to pickle some fish for new year's eve eating but didn't get them jarred in time :(

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

MisterOblivious posted:

I meant to pickle some fish for new year's eve eating but didn't get them jarred in time :(

Well you're in a pickle now

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Pickled herring is big in the Netherlands. That's where I had it. Served with mayo and raw onion.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Ya but did ya eat the bones?

dangerann
Jan 12, 2009

Bardeh posted:

Branston for cheese sandwiches = delicious and dadly as gently caress

Branston for dines = :chloe:

Yeah, that turned out to be accurate.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Does anyone know anything about eating Korean-style dried anchovies? I bought a bag of medium sized ones at H-Mart because I figured I could use them both for making stock and for snacking. Generally, I've seen online that the large ones are for stock and the tiny ones are better for snacking. I know for the large ones you are supposed to remove the heads and guts, but does that apply to the medium ones as well? The guts taste a little bit bitter but they don't bother me too much. I'm not sure if there's any health risks related to eating the guts.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Male Tears posted:

Does anyone know anything about eating Korean-style dried anchovies? I bought a bag of medium sized ones at H-Mart because I figured I could use them both for making stock and for snacking. Generally, I've seen online that the large ones are for stock and the tiny ones are better for snacking. I know for the large ones you are supposed to remove the heads and guts, but does that apply to the medium ones as well? The guts taste a little bit bitter but they don't bother me too much. I'm not sure if there's any health risks related to eating the guts.

Doubt it. Plankton eaters with short lives barely have time to build up nasty stuff in their system.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I ate a bunch of those in a stir fry recently and it was really good. The heads and guts were intact.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Those things are eaten whole, yeah. I usually see them use scattered through other food, especially snack food, like a dry mix you might get at a bar or a roadside stop.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I like the super tiny ones they sell at H-Mart, that basically look like tiny strips. They're in a clamshell, like H-mart buys them wholesale.

Really good to add to rice and a bunch of other stuff.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
My local Super H-Mart is a goddamn paradise, but being the frustrated Dad I am I don't visit it nearly as often as I'd like to and I've never even thought to look for 'dines there.

gently caress it, I'm going tomorrow. They've just got to have some fresh ones. I mean they have poo poo like squid brains.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

I went back and read my haiku entries, I expect to win something. They're totes good imo

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Turtle Blogger posted:

I went back and read my haiku entries, I expect to win something. They're totes good imo

I'm hoping mine were good enough to win something as well. I didn't do fancy images or anything like that though, so maybe that works against me. :ohdear:

naem
May 29, 2011

mmm guts

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

The KO page said they would decide by the 11th! I hope goons take all the fishies. I really want the special sardine fork and vintage can of sardines that a goon won last year.

In other 'dine news, my latest shipment of wild planet dines has 3 dines per can instead of 4, and it crosses the line in terms of texture(too big and tough, also no spine wtf). I'm totes disappointed. Will still eat because duh

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Made my own hummus today here are the proportions:

1 cup dry chickpea (cooked past where you usually do until they start to fall apart -- about 1 hour if you soaked them, longer if you didn't, which you don't have to -- add a tsp of baking soda to your cooking water for smoother chickpeas at the end, if you want) (you could also do canned chikpeas I'm sure just look up how many cans = 1 cup dry, 1 cup of dry chickpeas turns into a surprisingly large volume of cooked chickpeas)
1/2 cup sesame seed (toast them -- these are cheap at a brown or asian grocery, sometimes you can even get them in bulk)
2 lemons juiced
1/2 tsp cumin
4-6 cloves garlic depending on how much you like it (I did six and that's enough to sting so it's a no-joke amount, don't go over that on your first round)
chili powder or chilies if you want
salt pepper and olive oil as needed

Procedure:

Toast sesame, add to processor with everything but chick peas. Turn that into a paste. Use olive oil (or cold water) as needed to facilitate this -- olive oil is a lot of calories but there's only so much water you can add before your hummus will taste watery so maybe for your first try rely on the oil. Whatever. Add chick peas and process until desired consistency (I like to leave texture, most sand people like to run the processor for like 4 minutes to make baby food), loosen up with oil or water again if it's too thick for you. Makes about as much as two storebought hummus tubs.

If you don't want to do the seeds you can use tahini instead (maybe 1/3 cup of it?) but it's expensive, hard to work with, and frankly often tastes spoiled or bitter.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 8, 2017

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Huh. Welp.

I guess I should have expected casual racism in the dad thread.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Because he failed to identify his race but is eating hummus?

Am I missing some heinous alt-right code words?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Speleothing posted:

Huh. Welp.

I guess I should have expected casual racism in the dad thread.

Quote it next time so the rest of us can remember to be offended.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

My Man Shran posted:

Because he failed to identify his race but is eating hummus?

Am I missing some heinous alt-right code words?

I assume he's mad at the term "brown grocery" but he also is not aware that that's not in any way a racist term at all in any universe.

LingcodKilla posted:

Quote it next time so the rest of us can remember to be offended.

I didn't edit anything out, almost all of my posts have the edit notification because I read them after I post them and edit poo poo in habitually.

raton fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 8, 2017

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

im offended that they assumed all dads are racist

p bigoted imho

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I don't the the naacp will reverse-lynch me for saying "brown grocery bag"

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

I assume Speleothing is talking about the "sand people" phrase.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

MutantBlue posted:

lol

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MutantBlue posted:

Oh maybe

Should have stuck to the more respectful "desert people" I guess

bengy81
May 8, 2010
TBF, my old man is drops racist comments like they don't mean anything, so it fits with the spirit of the thread IMO.

McBlaster
Dec 29, 2006

McBlaster fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 9, 2017

naem
May 29, 2011

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I would totally try this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Looks like the infinite circular anchovy/sardine tank that you can walk under at the Monterrey Bay Aquarium.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Kholodets! One of the most striking dishes showcased on Hannibal, but apparently it was Mads Mikkelsen and Laurence Fishburne's least-favorite thing they had to eat on the show.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The Hannibal cookbook is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In the winter once a year I get the big can of Dinty Moore beef stew, which is often exiled out of the soup section, and is instead over by the Hormel Turkey Chili or even in the camping section of the store.

This year this was the biggest can they had:

They used to have one that diameter but taller. RIP Dinty Moore Giant Can, how many pieces of yellow solid fat have I removed from thine surface over the years, before dogfood-shaking ye into the large bowl, and eating from the microwave, with the Best Spoon In The Kitchen.