Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

TFRazorsaw posted:

... Well we sure took a hop skip and a jump away from what I was getting at. I wanted to see if this series was outside of my comfort zone. That's all.

There's just something a bit odd about being uncomfortable with someone's art work and story telling because of their personal opinions.

Like, I don't think Ayn Rand is a good person, but Atlas Shrugged isn't going to make me uncomfortable, and she lays her views on real thick.

If you can handle the grotesquery of giant humanoid things chewing people I think you'll be ok. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

There's just something a bit odd about being uncomfortable with someone's art work and story telling because of their personal opinions.

Like, I don't think Ayn Rand is a good person, but Atlas Shrugged isn't going to make me uncomfortable, and she lays her views on real thick.

If you can handle the grotesquery of giant humanoid things chewing people I think you'll be ok. :)

That's really a dumb argument.

Atlus Shrugged is explicitly about pushing and promoting her political views. It should make you uncomfortable if you don't agree with them because it actually does motivate and influence people. Like this isn't even hypothetical, I can point you to multiple politicians influenced by that book and it's drat near a college tradition for someone to read it and be motivated by it.

It is entirely possible for artwork that is pushing certain political views to influence someone. In fact that is frequently the point of artwork. We had a goddamn Supreme Court Justice of the United States cite the television show 24 as justification for torture and Japan's certainly had plenty of their own problems with stuff like that too.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 1, 2017

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't feel uncomfortable reading Attack on Titan because the political stuff is presented pretty fairly.

As for comfort zones, if you have no issue seeing someone tortured by having their loving fingers removed, I think you'll be fine with the rest.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I meant comfort zone in the sense of "this will probably annoy the poo poo out of me if I read it", not the sense that I could stomach it.

Anyway I just wanted to ask a question. It's been answered.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
AoT has elements of a fascist narrative, what with the heroic military martyrs, dehumanized enemy, and useless political bureaucracy. But it also undermines this by recasting the faceless enemies as political prisoners tortured out of human shape, and the military coup that replaces the politicians to be just as corrupt and insane.

AoT is inspired by Goya's "Saturn Devouring His Sun," and I see it as having cyclical themes. Each generation repeats the mistakes of the last, and nowhere is this more clear in Grisha making both his sons into weapons. The first Eldian society ruled in titan-enforced terror and ethnic cleansing, and the successor Marleyans have reversed and repeated the system.

It's only Annie who clearly understood that the problem was with the system - she wanted a world where even pariahs like her would be treated fairly. She was no doubt raised in the Marleyan slums just like Grisha, and she would have known both the persecution of the underclass and the preening privilege of the military police. I hope that she'll be re-activated soon, because I think that she is going to play a key part in the resolution of the eternal war between Titans and the world.

In conclusion: there are complicated themes in Aot, and it's not terribly nationalistic. It's not a John Ringo / Tom Clancy piece.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TFRazorsaw posted:

I acknowledge that the series should be allowed to finish, but with Isayama's political views being known to be what they are and this backstory having a not insignificant resemblance to Japanese nationalists' view of the past, I felt it was worthwhile to at least ask.

why does everyone know his political views?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

why does everyone know his political views?

Because hes a fan of and based a character on an imperial japanese military commander who died in 1930, naturally this speaks to every political belief he has.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Artum posted:

Because hes a fan of and based a character on an imperial japanese military commander who died in 1930, naturally this speaks to every political belief he has.

I'm a fan of Oda Nobunaga that doesn't mean I want to go burn down buddhist temples.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Artum posted:

Said character is also shown to be an rear end in a top hat in his private time. (But he is a decent leader and reasonable in his job.)

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Onmi posted:

I'm a fan of Oda Nobunaga that doesn't mean I want to go burn down buddhist temples.

Oh my god I was being sarcastic.

The entire notions loving absurd how did you not get that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Artum posted:

Oh my god I was being sarcastic.

The entire notions loving absurd how did you not get that.

No I... I got that, I was continuing the point, or at least I thought I was and. oh god it's like 6:30 AM.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Onmi posted:

No I... I got that, I was continuing the point, or at least I thought I was and. oh god it's like 6:30 AM.

Too tired after burning down all those Buddhist temples I bet

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 2, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TFRazorsaw posted:

I acknowledge that the series should be allowed to finish, but with Isayama's political views being known to be what they are and this backstory having a not insignificant resemblance to Japanese nationalists' view of the past, I felt it was worthwhile to at least ask.

Personally, I do not know Isayama's political views, and I don't care to learn.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

I meant comfort zone in the sense of "this will probably annoy the poo poo out of me if I read it", not the sense that I could stomach it.

Anyway I just wanted to ask a question. It's been answered.

so, are you going to read it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Artum posted:

I feel like it's hard to gauge Isayama's political opinions based upon him liking that Akiyama (iirc) guy, because there are also plenty of Americans who admire historical American military/political leaders, almost all of which did or perpetuated terrible poo poo (especially the further you go back).

This isn't to say he isn't right-wing (just using random chance there's a decent chance given the current political climate in Japan), but we don't really have any clear reason to think so.

(This post isn't in contrast with yours, it's just adding to it.)

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

... Well we sure took a hop skip and a jump away from what I was getting at. I wanted to see if this series was outside of my comfort zone. That's all.

Do you need trigger warnings for your anime?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Honestly the dude asked a fairly reasonable question about if it was worth it to read it or not. Knowing nothing other than the supposed politics of the author and general points about where the story goes I'd be a bit skeptical too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I mean I hate it whenever Zeon gets portrayed as the "Glorious Space Samurai" in extra Gundam material but that's more because authors completely missed the point of the group, and decided to start projecting. That also doesn't mean I stop watching (unless it's boring the poo poo out of me.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sub Harrison posted:

Do you need trigger warnings for your anime?

Don't

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TWIST FIST posted:

so, are you going to read it

I am going to check it out and decide for myself.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

nice

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
How... how reasonable! :monocle:

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

TFRazorsaw posted:

I am going to check it out and decide for myself.

:thumbsup:

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
beware Isayama's cannibal agenda

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Attack on Titan is good

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

what the gently caress is this argument

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Oh you mean this 3 day old back and forth that everyone's already gotten past?

I don't know why don't you bring it up again

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well guess I'll take another look at this, gosh

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Sub Harrison posted:

Attack on Titan is good

you fascist. you irl monster. you human trash. jesus gently caress

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
We are all manga nazis

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i like manga. also ive been reading this. dude is a pro at making unsettling anatomy

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Please alert your doctor if you start feeling fascist as this may be a sign of worsening in your condition.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Please contact your doctor if your sieg heil persists for more than 4 hours.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Between reading this and watching the man in the high castle, I have become ultra fascist. Please send help.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Atreiden posted:

Between reading this and watching the man in the high castle, I have become ultra fascist. Please send help.

Nobody send him help! He'll just indoctrinate them and recruit them to his cause!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

a kitten posted:

Too tired after burning down all those Buddhist temples I bet

To be fair, those monks were kind of assholes.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

edit: old discussion, leave it buried, never mind :rip:

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 7, 2017

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So was it originally Bert, Reiner, Marcel and Annie? Or when Ymir ate Marcel did Bert and Reiner retreat back to the dock or whatever other fortified FOB area Marley has on the shore of Paradis, and wait for them to send over a replacement with one of the other Marley-owned shifter powers?

Also, what is the nature of "the truce," and Kruger/Grisha's mission? The translation I read is kind of bad.

In the same vein, what went on after Historia read Ymir's letter? Did Ymir sneak in some secret message that Historia didn't make us privy to? Or is perhaps the message "I can't marry you yet?" When clearing out Trost Ymir told her, "when this is all over, marry me." So that could theoretically mean when she "finishes this" by maybe killing Reiner and other Marleyans at wherever she is?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 10, 2017

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
So apparently Isayama done screwed up with some wording in the recent chapter.

The short version:

Rather than

“If I consume a descendant from the royal line who has been transformed into a Titan…”

It should’ve been

“If I touch a descendant from the royal line who has been transformed into a Titan…”

But it sure would be interesting if it were the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
that's a big mechanics change

so the endgame is going to be to give historia a titan of her own. can't give the attack titan, because it contains the coordinator and will subsume historia's mind. giving her the colossal shifter would cost them a big asset in armin. but that would be the safest option, as a coordinator that isnt slaved to the will of the traitor king would be a strategic asset against zeke. but if misused, would accidentally set off the nuke