Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mr. Robot season 2 censoring "gently caress" but keeping "oval office" is the weirdest censorship example ever.

Happy 2017 CC! I am very excited for more Leftovers and Fargo this year especially, and Taboo sounds super interesting as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I swear to god they actually let one "gently caress" slip through, as well. Dunno if that was a mistake or if they're allotted a certain number per season or something.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I recorded all The Magicians and they have a few uncensored fucks during the season.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
At this point, the censorship tangents are getting to be a bit asinine. All the cable networks want to be HBO and I don't think anyone is concerned about the audience/advertisers of Mr. Robot ditching because of some bad words. It's like a room of five year olds tittering away because they heard the teacher say "crap."

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm not tittering at the naughty words, I'm pointing out and wondering at the inconsistency and arbitrary nature of censorship in general. Why is oval office more acceptable than gently caress? Why are some fucks okay but others aren't? It's weird and dumb, and networks don't even seem to stay consistent with themselves in enforcing it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Grey's anatomy started using vajayjay because the censors objected to them using vagina more than once a season.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What is The Magicians about?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Spergatory posted:

I'm not tittering at the naughty words, I'm pointing out and wondering at the inconsistency and arbitrary nature of censorship in general. Why is oval office more acceptable than gently caress? Why are some fucks okay but others aren't? It's weird and dumb, and networks don't even seem to stay consistent with themselves in enforcing it.

"gently caress you" okay
"I want to gently caress you" woah there buddy
The difference between many a PG13 and R rating has been whether or not the gently caress was meant literally.

But it's really "what do we think we can get away with? How receptive are the advertisers that show already has to million moms type groups?"

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Spergatory posted:

I swear to god they actually let one "gently caress" slip through, as well. Dunno if that was a mistake or if they're allotted a certain number per season or something.

They ran the season premiere uncensored but then censored the rest of the season for whatever reason

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

What is The Magicians about?

Basically, a grown-up Harry Potter story. All of the magical stories involving Earth are real, and the story's other places are alternate planes/universes. The big bad for the first season is on a Lion, The Witch, And the Wardrobe analogue, so we see a bit of at least 2 other planes (a hub world is the other).

Not sure how faithful it is to the books though, and someone who has read them can no doubt better explain it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Coffeehitler posted:

Basically, a grown-up Harry Potter story. All of the magical stories involving Earth are real, and the story's other places are alternate planes/universes. The big bad for the first season is on a Lion, The Witch, And the Wardrobe analogue, so we see a bit of at least 2 other planes (a hub world is the other).

Is it a kind of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen / Anno Dracula / Once Upon a Time thing where it uses fictional characters, or is it original characters influenced by or based on fictional characters?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The premise follows a group of young adults as they study at a school for magic. The main character is obsessed with a series of kids books called "Fillory and Further" which are basically Narnia, except based on real children.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

X-O posted:

So 2016 managed to give a last "gently caress You!" as it slithered away. We lost Father Mulcahy (William Christopher) from M.A.S.H. on 12/31. And 2017 if you even look at Alan Alda the wrong way we're gonna have words.

Speaking of Alan Alda, Horace and Pete on Hulu is some extremely weird, wild, uncomfortable poo poo. I'm assuming it was filmed like a stage play since that's how it's presented, flubbed lines and all. I think a lot of it is improv actually.

Anyway though, it's really good, but very honest and kind of hard to watch. Alan Alda is the best one in it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

I'm Senerio, somehow I became owner of the IRC.

Anyway I've decided new year new chat, so I made a discord for our live watching pleasure.

Click here to join.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrVenkman posted:

Rhyno was right about Amell in that ARROW episode. He was great in that moment, and I actually really like what that episode did. It's even more potent given how FLASH has really been dragging out how Barry hosed up in creating Flashpoint. Yes he did, and it was selfish, but I don't think that show really knows what to do with that story and just keeps repeating the same thing over and over.

I'm glad other people agree. I'm always impressed with Amell these days. He went from a pretty-boy model to an actually decent actor. He was even good in TMNT2!

Also the Magicians is hot loving garbage but the quipping between Quentin and Penny makes it absolutely worth it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
man....sherlock is just godawful

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Senerio posted:

I'm Senerio, somehow I became owner of the IRC.

Anyway I've decided new year new chat, so I made a discord for our live watching pleasure.

Click here to join.

Discord is so much better than IRC for the most part.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

man....sherlock is just godawful

I have the same problem with Sherlock that I do Luther, everybody keeps trying to get me to watch them and I give it a few episodes each and have no idea what the appeal is at all. Either I'm racist to British stuff or people specifically like generic British stuff just for being British, or both.

It's probably both.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

SpannerX posted:

Discord is so much better than IRC for the most part.

Yep. I now added in channels for most everything, including a "banned from couch chat" channel.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Magicians is a lot loving darker than I imagined going in.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I usually don't like Instagram ads, but one of them told me that the third season of Man Seeking Woman debuts on January 4th after Always Sunny, so they're not all bad. I don't think I'll make a thread about it but I do wholeheartedly recommend it.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Incidentally Chozen (the FX animated series) is still the only show that I've seen in the US that dropped 'oval office' in the original broadcast (albeit on basic cable) and nobody noticed it.
Chozen was terrible and nobody watched it, so that's why no one noticed or cared.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

The Magicians is a lot loving darker than I imagined going in.

Works a hell of a lot better on a binge than it did week to week.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I ended up watching most of it on Netflix, which is nice since half the swears aren't muted.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Love Crime posted:

I have the same problem with Sherlock that I do Luther, everybody keeps trying to get me to watch them and I give it a few episodes each and have no idea what the appeal is at all. Either I'm racist to British stuff or people specifically like generic British stuff just for being British, or both.

It's probably both.

You're definitely not alone on that. Neither show is very good, though both had some decent episodes. In both cases I think I was expecting them to get better to match the hype, but instead they got worse as they went on.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think I've seen anyone say that Luther doesn't get worse as it goes on.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm enjoying THE CROWN more than I thought I would've. It isn't quite a love letter to those people, but I'm interested to see where it goes

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

I ended up watching most of it on Netflix, which is nice since half the swears aren't muted.

Half the fucks weren't muted when it broadcast, although it was completely schizophrenic week to week as to whether they would censor it or let like 4 of them go in a single episode. Literally no rhyme or reason, it wasn't the context as far as I could tell, just entirely arbitrary.

The show ignored a lot about the books too, which was a very good thing since the books are trash and the protagonist (not to mention nearly everyone else) is even more unlikeable in them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I saw the first episode of The Mick. It's pretty good, and when you compare it to the average pilot episode it's really good. I'm sure it'll get even better as it goes on.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

IRQ posted:

The show ignored a lot about the books too, which was a very good thing since the books are trash and the protagonist (not to mention nearly everyone else) is even more unlikeable in them.

Is the CS Lewis analogue still a pedophile?

E: Actually I guess I'll tag that because I can't remember which book its from

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 2, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I saw the first episode of The Mick. It's pretty good, and when you compare it to the average pilot episode it's really good. I'm sure it'll get even better as it goes on.

I assume from the ads that part of that is that Kaitlin Olson has already been playing the part for 11 years so it came fully formed.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

X-O posted:

I assume from the ads that part of that is that Kaitlin Olson has already been playing the part for 11 years so it came fully formed.

Sepinwall talks about that in his review. It's even from former Sunny writers. But seeing as Sunny is starting up again, it makes more sense to just see her do the real thing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hell, I'll watch both! I ought to watch some Always Sunny right now if I want to fulfill my goal of watching all the episodes before the next season starts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Finished Trevor Noah's book the other night. Holy poo poo, the last chapter is the kind of thing you just can't make up. :psyduck:

If anyone is interested in it, do not look up anything about the book beforehand, because it will probably end up spoiling the ending for you.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just spoil it I'm not reading it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Just spoil it I'm not reading it.

In the very beginning of the book, Trevor lets you know that his mother eventually gets shot in the back of the head by his stepfather. This is not really every brought up again as he goes through his life because his stepfather enters the picture rather later. At the end, he finally gets to the part where his stepfather shoots his mother. She survives via pretty much "literally miracle" as the bullet enters the back of her head, missing her spinal cord by millimeters, ricochets off her cheekbone and comes out by her nose, leaving her perfectly fine and she gets sent home from the hospital the same day. You really don't get the full effect unless you've gotten to "know" his mother, which is what the book is really about; it's almost entirely about him and his relationship with his mom, and the ending is such a surprise happy one that it made me go whoah.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That sounds good. I thought the whole thing would be about how South Africa sucks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, he does go into a lot of detail about how Apartheid worked (and why it didn't and why it was nonsense) but yeah the main narrative thrust is his relationship with his mom, who sounds cool as hell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

Is the CS Lewis analogue still a pedophile?

E: Actually I guess I'll tag that because I can't remember which book its from

Yup.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I want to start a new drama. House of Cards or Boardwalk Empire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Gay Horney posted:

I want to start a new drama. House of Cards or Boardwalk Empire?

House of Cards american version starts bad-silly and gets much worse, all the while pretending its so much more. Boardwalk Empire, while it often suffers from the latter problem, works as a slow-paced genre show that builds exquisitely.

• Locked thread