Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

McNally, even if you can't sue, send every bit of this entire slow motion poo poo show to the media. This deserves to he fixed, and you deserve some real closure. In addition, gently caress everyone who was a part of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

In addition, gently caress everyone who was a part of this.
[/quote]

Yeah gently caress you Mcnally.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

Are there any decent off the market helmet straps? The standard issue ones are terrible and constantly get loose and are a pain in the rear end to adjust. My NODs keep pulling my helmet forward once the straps loosen up. An NCO from another unit was telling me about some kind of neck strap for helmets that pulls backwards so your NODs don't pull it forward but I can't remember what they were called or who made them.

It adds weight, but you can buy battery packs for your NODS that sit on the back of your helmet as a counterweight.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

You can also just buy counterweights. https://www.tnvc.com is the main source for anything nods-related.

I highly recommend counterweights, especially the ones where you can switch out how many lead weights are in there. I was able to run dual PVS-14's with counterweights on the back for a 7 mile night hike, and I didn't have any sort of bad feeling in my head as a result. Without the counterweights, my forehead would otherwise feel like Gregor Clegane was crushing it after about a half hour.

If you want a good chinstrap, Ops Core makes a good one. Again also at TNVC.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

bulletsponge13 posted:

This made me laugh pretty hard, well done.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

One more thing I don't miss about the Army: buying my own poo poo to replace the poo poo you get issued.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

One more thing I don't miss about the Army: buying my own poo poo to replace the poo poo you get issued.

Then getting yelled at for not being dress right dress and using your own poo poo and SOLDIER WHY IS YOUR IFAK NOT ON THE LEFT SIDE, EVERYONE ELSE AROUND HERE IS RIGHT HANDED

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

bird food bathtub posted:

Then getting yelled at for not being dress right dress and using your own poo poo and SOLDIER WHY IS YOUR IFAK NOT ON THE LEFT SIDE, EVERYONE ELSE AROUND HERE IS RIGHT HANDED

In fairness, everybody's IFAK is on the same side so that whoever comes to fix you up knows where it is. You don't use your own IFAK on someone else.

Or so I was told, anyway.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
A lot of uniform and equipment-related policies are stupid, made-up garrison bullshit, but some also exist for a reason. You know how in safety briefs you hear retarded poo poo like, "don't drink and jet ski with the post commander's daughter," and it's because some dumb motherfucker figured that out the hard way? Well, same deal here. Put your IFAK on your left; dummy-cord your nods; have at least 3L of water, seven mags, two Twinkies, etc.

The cliché line here is, "have you ever seen Blackhawk Down?"

Of course, the further away from reality you get (up the organization, removed from combat arms, peacetime, etc.), the sillier things get because people forget why certain things were done that way, and you instead wind up with the increasingly perverted policies that we all know and love.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 2, 2017

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Naked Bear posted:

A lot of uniform and equipment-related policies are stupid, made-up garrison bullshit, but some also exist for a reason. You know how in safety briefs you hear retarded poo poo like, "don't drink and jet ski with the post commander's daughter," and it's because some dumb motherfucker figured that out the hard way? Well, same deal here. Put your IFAK on your left; dummy-cord your nods; have at least 3L of water, seven mags, two Twinkies, etc.

The cliché line here is, "have you ever seen Blackhawk Down?"

Of course, the further away from reality you get (up the organization, removed from combat arms, peacetime, etc.), the sillier things get because people forget why certain things were done that way, and you instead wind up with the increasingly perverted policies that we all know and love.

But I digress.

gently caress you if you're still in.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Mike-o posted:

gently caress you if you're still in.
What I meant to say.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

McNally posted:

This made me laugh pretty hard, well done.
[/quote]

same

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

You are being counseled for snickering while you were reviewing the previous counseling statement.

also this

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McNally posted:

In fairness, everybody's IFAK is on the same side so that whoever comes to fix you up knows where it is. You don't use your own IFAK on someone else.

Or so I was told, anyway.

Yeah nope, sorry. It's still total garrison bullshit. I mean if I were trying to put it on my rear end or something yeah I can almost see a point somewhere. Moving it to the other side because hey guess what not everybody is right handed or shoots right handed? If someone is that much of a chucklefuck that they can't look at and identify an IFAK just because it's six inches in the other direction they're too god drat stupid to save my life in the first place and I'm a goner no matter what. It's made up bullshit that may at one point have been based in reality but has been twisted to justify some 1SG's rock hard erection at forcing people to be as miserable and retarded as he is.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Mustang posted:

Are there any decent off the market helmet straps? The standard issue ones are terrible and constantly get loose and are a pain in the rear end to adjust. My NODs keep pulling my helmet forward once the straps loosen up. An NCO from another unit was telling me about some kind of neck strap for helmets that pulls backwards so your NODs don't pull it forward but I can't remember what they were called or who made them.

You get this from RFI:
https://tnvc.com/shop/ops-core-ach-head-loc-x-nape/

I wouldn't pay $100 for it, but it's the poo poo. The straps never come loose.

edit: $50 on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/262784024989?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 2, 2017

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Soulex posted:

[/quote]

Thanks Soulex.

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006

Kaliber posted:

You get this from RFI:
https://tnvc.com/shop/ops-core-ach-head-loc-x-nape/

I wouldn't pay $100 for it, but it's the poo poo. The straps never come loose.

edit: $50 on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/262784024989?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I got mine on eBay. Ops core straps are amazing compared to the issued poo poo. Also make sure to re locktite the bolts on your Kevlar. Having two come out while on a night ruck sucks pretty bad

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Thanks guys, going to order that one off of eBay. Going to be spending a pretty big chunk of this year in the field and I'd rather not be loving with lovely straps the whole time. Going to look into the counterweights too.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
have fun freezing your balls off in yakima in the middle of nowhere

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Nods are for splinter cell type poo poo, we beat the nazi's in WWII with good old fashioned american ingenuity, none of this night vision poo poo.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

night optical device? more like nodding off to the green glow

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Mustang posted:

Thanks guys, going to order that one off of eBay. Going to be spending a pretty big chunk of this year in the field and I'd rather not be loving with lovely straps the whole time. Going to look into the counterweights too.

You guys dont have 20s yet?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Not yet, whole BDE is in the middle of fielding a bunch of new equipment right now though

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This thread sucks but that's because it's related to the army

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
You guys after watch a meteor shower on NODS? Maybe my best night of Army bullshit.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Watching an Aurora through nods is also really cool.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The hypersonic black project bomber?

:nsa:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

mlmp08 posted:

You guys after watch a meteor shower on NODS? Maybe my best night of Army bullshit.

A Bad Poster posted:

Watching an Aurora through nods is also really cool.

Wanted to do this for sure. Never got issues nods so I just ran into poo poo into the dark.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Soulex posted:

Never got issues nods so I just ran into poo poo into the dark.

This still happens because you have absolutely no depth perception and you have to adjust the depth of field unless you have the crazy stereo vision ones that the SOF and EOD guys have. Unless those are finally starting to trickle down to normal line units.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Unless it's crazy dark, I always found that NODS didn't gently caress up your depth perception nearly as much as people whine about.

But maybe that's me. On the other hand, I can't shoot a pistol with both eyes open on anything remotely dynamic because my eyes are equally dominant and it's super confusing. Maybe dominant eye people have more issues with NODS.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
when on foot patrols i usually would walk with my nods up if there was moonlight

it was a lot easier.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

psydude posted:

This still happens because you have absolutely no depth perception and you have to adjust the depth of field unless you have the crazy stereo vision ones that the SOF and EOD guys have. Unless those are finally starting to trickle down to normal line units.
Man, I wish. I remember looking those things up, they were like forty grand a pop at the time (probably still the same now).

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

TBeats posted:

when on foot patrols i usually would walk with my nods up if there was moonlight

it was a lot easier.

Same. It was easier driving by moonlight than loving around with night vision in varying states of repair.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I got issued NODs for every field exercise I went on.

My ACH didn't have the mount for them. Supply would not give me a mount.

I just put them in my canteen pouch on my armor and never took them out unless I was making a trip to the portajohns in the middle of the night.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Aranan posted:

I got issued NODs for every field exercise I went on.

My ACH didn't have the mount for them. Supply would not give me a mount.

I just put them in my canteen pouch on my armor and never took them out unless I was making a trip to the portajohns in the middle of the night.

We were issued them for deployment, but weren't issued PEQ-16s so they were basically useless except for the use case you mentioned. Even on convoys, the MRAPs all had the driver assistance screen with the built-in night vision/thermals, as did the CROWS, and all of our crew served weapons had the thermal scopes.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

We were issued them for deployment, but weren't issued PEQ-16s so they were basically useless except for the use case you mentioned. Even on convoys, the MRAPs all had the driver assistance screen with the built-in night vision/thermals, as did the CROWS, and all of our crew served weapons had the thermal scopes.

we had peq15s.

never used it once on deployment but i qualified a 29 with it.

out BNCSM shot an 11 or some stupid poo poo and one of the greatest days of my army life was seeing his face as they announced his score in front of a bunch of privates.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Nods chaaaaaat

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

You know what I actually liked? The MTMs. They were terrible when bouncing around on top of a truck, but for strolling around on the ground they were pretty rad. Same size as 14s, too.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Rat posted:

Nods chaaaaaat

:homebrew:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A mount is like 30 bux, and the rhino arm is like 70$, and if your goggle doesn't come with it, , J-arm is like 20$ more.

Back in the Finnish Army we had dudes, both concsripts and pros buying the mounts and arms on ebay with these huge stacks of 10-20 per box from Ebay before the US ITAR laws got more stringent, because it was so drat common to get the drat device but nowhere to mount it, and that 120$ was worth it. They'd just sell them forward in the barracks.

And some of the idiots returned the to the armory because some dudes got issued ones with some american price tags, lol.

I even still have mine complete set somewhere in my house, it'd be hilarious to not get mounts issued one day here in the US and bring the same loving kit that was meant to avoid bullshit in a different army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

What the gently caress kinda unit would send dudes out on patrol with CROWS and MRAPs with those little screens and thermals scopes and NODs but not issue laser aiming devices? That's like, supply completely forgetting to order MREs or not having any batteries for any of the radios.

Did they at least give you tracers to kentucky windage your shots in? :v: In our unit, not having NODs/lasers was like not being issued a weapon.