Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Alright, so! Sometimes I go trolling the websites for various brands to see what kinds of monstrosities they have in the obligatory recipe section. Companies publishing recipes which call for the use of whatever they sell mainly trace back to the cookbooks published and given away for free by Campbell's in the middle part of the last century, which resulted in the preponderance of Campbell's soup casseroles and the like today, and massive profits on the part of the company. As a result of how well that worked out for Campbell's, every company nowadays feels obligated to set up a section on their website for their own recipes, no matter how ill advised they are.

So, let us take a brief journey through the recipe section of the Coke website. Most of the recipes are at least passable, since you can use soda in place of sugar in a lot of stuff, particularly wings, ribs, and such, and have it work out. However, then there are these ones. There are photos behind the links, along with the recipes, but at least some of them seem to just be stock images. However, for the most part, it is what they are that is gross, more than how they look.

Chicken nachos made with reduced diet coke, for that concentrated aspartame aftertaste.

Apple sauce, but with Coke.

Cheese dip? Gotta have Coke.

Baked Brie? Glaze it with coke!

Now. I know chili is a divisive subject on SA. However, I am pretty sure that we can all agree that the base for your chili should not be ketchup, let alone ketchup made with Coke.

Baked beans, with 3 cups of coke to 1 pound of beans.

Canned Green Beans, cooked with Coke!

This is literally just lentils, water, ham, onion, and diet cherry coke.

Salad Dressing, made with coke.

Particularly puzzling is this recipe for "non-alcoholic Long Island Iced Tea." A long island iced tea is 22 percent alcohol, and is mostly composed of hard liquor. It contains no tea, and only a splash of soda. It completely defeats the purpose to try to make it non alcoholic, and an equal mix of coke, tea, and lemonade will taste nothing like it.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tiberius Thyben posted:

A long island iced tea is 22 percent alcohol

The gently caress kind of pussy waters down a long island that much

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Grand Fromage posted:

The gently caress kind of pussy waters down a long island that much

Should have said at least, according to the IBA. But that makes it more obvious how stupid a non alcoholic one is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's been a while since something in the thread made me look away to stifle a gag reflex.

Probably shouldn't look at this thread when I feel full from eating.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Now. I know chili is a divisive subject on SA. However, I am pretty sure that we can all agree that the base for your chili should not be ketchup, let alone ketchup made with Coke.

Where the gently caress is the chili powder or chili flavored anything? Cumin isn't chili flavored.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

StandardToast posted:

Where the gently caress is the chili powder or chili flavored anything? Cumin isn't chili flavored.
:downs: But it has tabasco to give it some kick!

I'm not sure if I should be more concerned about the lack of chili powder or how sweet this 'chili' would be. :barf:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

A whole teaspoon of tabasco! That'll clear out your sinuses, I bet.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

StandardToast posted:

But chili is cumin-flavored. Have you smelled cumin lately?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cumin? More like :getin:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Related to brand recipes, I once worked years ago for a packaged meat company as my client. During that time the brand was trying to revitalize its lagging rope sausage business and believed that the issue was purely that consumers didn't have enough go-to recipes to use their product. Not that the product was unwieldy, few customers grew up eating it with regularity, the pricing was over the competition, the brand had imploded their advertising, the product was ridiculously fatty and salt rich; no the problem was simply consumers didn't have enough recipes and if this was fixed we'd blow the doors off this category, budget to actually advertise said recipes be damned. I worked in this role for approximately 12 months and they produced a single recipe for this initiative.

It was a find->replace Chicken Alfredo, except using their massively fattier rope sausage product not made with chicken.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My housemates dinner.

Plain white bread, tomato paste, shredded tasty cheese from a bag and microwaved to perfection.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sadness pizza.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Sientara posted:

True. Although your post made me hungry for sloppy joes.

The Family recipe:

1 lb ground meat
1 can tomato sauce
1 can vegetable soup or chicken gumbo
ketchup and barbecue sauce to taste.

You know, typing the recipe doesn't make it less AFP. :doh:

Oh hey, that's my family's chili recipe.

Except replace the tomato sauce with juice, and everything else with storebought chili powder.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/inthefade/status/815702146746294272

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
To get something as thick as ranch dressing to go through that fountain, they probably had to mix it 1:1 with vegetable oil; that's what you have to do to chocolate unless it's a specific kind that's made for the fountains. Imagine how oily that must be, to say nothing for the bits of breading that are falling off and getting mixed in. Plus that chicken in the foreground looks already bitten; mmmm, double-dipping in the communal sauce.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Geomancing posted:

To get something as thick as ranch dressing to go through that fountain, they probably had to mix it 1:1 with vegetable oil; that's what you have to do to chocolate unless it's a specific kind that's made for the fountains. Imagine how oily that must be, to say nothing for the bits of breading that are falling off and getting mixed in. Plus that chicken in the foreground looks already bitten; mmmm, double-dipping in the communal sauce.

Who says it's not white gravy? Because if it was white gravy, totally would

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Geomancing posted:

This, combined with the above video (which i could not watch) actually made me dry-heave. Homemade ranch dressing is tasty, but the idea of turning the bottled kind into a jizzy slurry for better splurting into the lolling, globular maw of an inbred Golden Corral customer...

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Geomancing posted:

They mentioned it was a gravy fountain, so not quite so bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Soiled Meat

Geomancing posted:

Couldn't you just add more buttermilk to get a runnier consistency.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Mmmm-mm, salmonella on a bun.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

How big of a donkey do you have to be to mess up frying a chicken patty so badly? I thought disasters like that only happened on hell's kitchen to give Gordon a reason to curse at people.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

constantinople posted:

They mentioned it was a gravy fountain, so not quite so bad.

Ah. Not AS bad.

This is ranch, though. Enjoy!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At least there's cheese to dip in it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I went to a wedding with a ranch fountain (and a Little Debbie wedding cake!) and after a very short while the ranch was warmer than room temperature and smelled like a hobo bathed in it. It would also spit large ranch boogers because blobs of congealed ranch would get sucked into the mechanism and spit back out. Also the ranch started to go kinda transparent and filmy. Looked exactly like a cum waterfall with flecks of pepper in it. No one ate it as far as I know.

That little Debbie cake was eaten in half a minute though.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll defend Little Debbie. Especially fudge rounds and oatmeal creme pies.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

yeah I eat rear end posted:

How big of a donkey do you have to be to mess up frying a chicken patty so badly? I thought disasters like that only happened on hell's kitchen to give Gordon a reason to curse at people.

Sonic is "fast food, but if Satan did it."

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

whiteyfats posted:

It was a Star Crunch cake though

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Titus Sardonicus posted:

It was a Star Crunch cake though

I'll allow it.

Frozen Star Crunches are legit.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I actually like Star Crunches but imagine an entire wedding cake made out of it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

whiteyfats posted:

It's not Little Debbie but I have a strong weakness for zingers. And though I like sno balls in theory they are always dry as poo poo and it just ruins the joy I might otherwise get from one.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I actually like Star Crunches but imagine an entire wedding cake made out of it.

And the filling is Raisin Creme Pies.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Hostess Orange Cupcakes...

*drops mike*

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I had a Little Debbie Christmas tree cake for the first time sometime around November and my reaction was 'Oh wow, this is great!" And then I took a second bite and realized those things were like the McDonalds sweet tea of pastries.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

RareAcumen posted:

I had a Little Debbie Christmas tree cake for the first time sometime around November and my reaction was 'Oh wow, this is great!" And then I took a second bite and realized those things were like the McDonalds sweet tea of pastries.

Who wouldn't want to sit down for a nourishing bowl of gelatinous blob?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That was a whole lot of not good.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
You guys think I didn't make a serious dent in the fudge rounds and swiss rolls portions of that Little Debbie cake? That poo poo was on point. I'd have one. Hell it even looked rad. This isn't it, but it's close:

The bottom layer was Snow Balls. White trash can be amazing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think that's silken tofu, which when covered in palm sugar is quite the nice dessert.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I think that's silken tofu, which when covered in palm sugar is quite the nice dessert.

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

You're not actually supposed to eat the scoby when you're done.