Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Last of 2016 : Eyes Of My Mother. Pretty good. Lead actress is fantastic.

First of 2017 : Rogue One. Pretty good. I honestly don't get the characterization criticisms any more than like, any comparable action movie. And it was a pretty movie on top of everything. CGI Tarkin is the most incredible feat of CGI ever while also being incredibly jarring and ill-conceived. Like, can't give enough credit to the artists behind it and enough criticism to the folks who told them to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Last: Swiss Army Man
First: The Wailing

Swiss Army Man is fantastic. The Wailing is pretty drat good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Last was rewatching Zootopia because my mom wanted to see it. Haven't watched a movie in 2017 yet, though I finished off the first season of Daredevil and started on Jessica Jones

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
YTOTD is this dope interview with Kevin Gates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOSzeNStvWc

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Finally an opportunity to recommend Salò to someone without coming across as a creepy weirdo.

Well, less of a creepy weirdo, anyway.

*extremely innocent voice* this is a nice movie, right?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Watching boyhood currently and so far my takeaway is that no matter what happens, no matter where you go or how things change, dragonball z will be there for u

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
First thing i watched 2017 was the sense8 Christmas special. There were quite a few of the wordless montages set to music, only one of which was "everybody's loving each other". I can't decide if I want the series to just pick up the pace with the Whispers plot, or if I prefer them to draw out the period where most of the sensates' problems stem from their regular lives before everyone's hunted by government agents. Because slow as it feels, just having these characters deal with their lives and giving each other loving advice is really enjoyable to me!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tiger posted:

First thing i watched 2017 was the sense8 Christmas special. There were quite a few of the wordless montages set to music, only one of which was "everybody's loving each other". I can't decide if I want the series to just pick up the pace with the Whispers plot, or if I prefer them to draw out the period where most of the sensates' problems stem from their regular lives before everyone's hunted by government agents. Because slow as it feels, just having these characters deal with their lives and giving each other loving advice is really enjoyable to me!

I think that was what I enjoyed most about the show, that everyone was just kind of doing their thing and then also maybe falling in love with a person they've never met

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

First movie I watched in 2017 was Jesus' Son, and Jesus It Sucked. It's the precocious indie answer to Trainspotting.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I can't stop listening to the Alvin and the Chipmunks pop covers slowed down to their original recording speed.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
"Chumbawamba was a great anarcho-punk band!" is this year's "Mario 2 was called Doki Doki Panic in Japan!"

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
First movie of the year was Upstream Color. Didn't understand it properly until the end, and at that point I had invested so much time into trying to make sense of what was going on that I had mostly ignored how pretty it was, and was slightly offended at the rather mundane resolution. Eh.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm really mad Netflix lost the rights to Columbo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't stop listening to the Alvin and the Chipmunks pop covers slowed down to their original recording speed.

I like that version of Heaven Is A Place On Earth a lot.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

morestuff posted:

I like that version of Heaven Is A Place On Earth a lot.

Sounds like it would be in a trailer for something that comes out this year.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Anonymous Robot posted:

First movie I watched in 2017 was Jesus' Son, and Jesus It Sucked. It's the precocious indie answer to Trainspotting.
I liked that it consistently maintained its curiously buoyant tone as the body count kept rising. I'm now inclined to check out the original short story collection as its apparently different tonally to the movie (really dug the author cameo in it, though).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Coaaab posted:

I liked that it consistently maintained its curiously buoyant tone as the body count kept rising. I'm now inclined to check out the original short story collection as its apparently different tonally to the movie (really dug the author cameo in it, though).

To be honest I found it irritating enough that I turned it off with probably 40 minutes left (which I really rarely do), but maybe it got better as things progressed.

In any case, let's keep 2017 gumby everybody

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Last watch of 2016 was Neighbors 2, which is good. First watch of 2017 was The To-Do List, which is good for those who consider the American Pie spinoffs to be too highbrow. For all others, it's bad.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I always forget how wonderful Kiefer Sutherland is in Fire Walk With Me, it's a great performance.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I think the last thing I watched in 2016 was the new De Palma doc. All the clips from his stuff make it a fun watch regardless but it's basically just a long interview and the dude is a poo poo storyteller.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

He was probably right in some kinda southern dialect.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Anonymous Robot posted:

To be honest I found it irritating enough that I turned it off with probably 40 minutes left (which I really rarely do), but maybe it got better as things progressed.
I think you would've been most annoyed with the third act, unless you think this sort of movie deserves to end on a grace note.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Coaaab posted:

I think you would've been most annoyed with the third act, unless you think this sort of movie deserves to end on a grace note.

It was partially a matter of the politics of style of the film, a kind of cuteness that came across as self-satisfied condescension, and partially that, as someone who struggles with mental illness and psychiatric medication, I bristle real easily at the romanticization of psychoactive drugs in cinema.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Anonymous Robot posted:

It was partially a matter of the politics of style of the film, a kind of cuteness that came across as self-satisfied condescension, and partially that, as someone who struggles with mental illness and psychiatric medication, I bristle real easily at the romanticization of psychoactive drugs in cinema.
I'm not sure if its romanticization as much as Fuckhead's lack of emotional response to all the poo poo that happens to him: he just takes it and runs with it. The most emotional Crudup ever gets is with the bunnies, I think.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Coaaab posted:

I'm not sure if its romanticization as much as Fuckhead's lack of emotional response to all the poo poo that happens to him: he just takes it and runs with it. The most emotional Crudup ever gets is with the bunnies, I think.

When I say romanticization here, I don't mean that it makes drug use look appealing, but rather that it makes it look Important and like something that Deep People do.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Anonymous Robot posted:

When I say romanticization here, I don't mean that it makes drug use look appealing, but rather that it makes it look Important and like something that Deep People do.
I think this is where we'll disagree because I didn't get that sense of Self-Importance from any of the characters. They seemed more like midwestern below-the-poverty-line types that were more concerned with scrounging enough money for their next hit than any sort expounding on their Life Philosophy. Maybe you're thinking of FH's vaguely precognitive thing, which I just mentally filed away as bullshit.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I keep listening to that at work but at double speed so it's just the regular voices singing in regular time. It's not good but it's entertaining.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I always forget how wonderful Kiefer Sutherland is in Fire Walk With Me, it's a great performance.

He's excellent in it. I'm hoping Lynch finds a way to get him back into the revival, since he's somehow managed to cast literally everyone else in there.

He had a weird career where he was turning in these great little performances before he hit it with 24.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Neil Cicierega's mashups are pure gold:
https://soundcloud.com/neilcic/dear-dinosaur
https://soundcloud.com/neilcic/crocodile-chop
https://soundcloud.com/neilcic/smooth
https://soundcloud.com/neilcic/smooth-flow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

So, the absolute best part of this is the little "Nick Jr." in the corner.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Budgie Jumping posted:

He was probably right in some kinda southern dialect.

Sure. I like how the stereotypical Italian wild gesticulation is just sort of accurate for most Italians but definitely 100% accurate for almost all southern Italians.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Last movie of 2016: Foreign Correspondent
First movie of 2017: The Princess Bride.

Dunno why Netflix didn't have a section of hangover movies ready for yesterday morning.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Is Tampopo worth a trip in town to see?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is Tampopo worth a trip in town to see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhKdtX8MFmc

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

There was one that's not there now that was great and it mashed the "I Sit On You" song from Tim & Eric with "I Got My Mind Set On You" by George Harrison and I'm devastated it's gone.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

TrixRabbi posted:

There was one that's not there now that was great and it mashed the "I Sit On You" song from Tim & Eric with "I Got My Mind Set On You" by George Harrison and I'm devastated it's gone.
Orgonon Gurls was the song that made me look up Kate Bush and now I love Kate Bush' stuff. Shame to see that the Sit On You remix is gone.

https://soundcloud.com/neilcic/orgonon-gurls

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I gifted myself German Netflix for the new year, and the first movie I'm (re-) watching is Wrath of the Titans. It really is so much better than Clash, if only for how tired Sam Worthington is of all these Titans.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

I gifted myself German Netflix for the new year, and the first movie I'm (re-) watching is Wrath of the Titans. It really is so much better than Clash, if only for how tired Sam Worthington is of all these Titans.

"I'm so tired of all these wrathful Titans!"

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Last film of 2016: La La Land
First film of 2017: The Nice Guys

The Goss is killing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Not only better, it's a great film on its own. I like how it's basically a western, except with Greek mythology stuff.

• Locked thread