Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I wonder if a huge number of people subscribe to PS now.

At this point I've just bought the ps3 games I've wanted to try on pc (revengance) or moved on, or got sequels for PS4, or forgot they existed, (a few I don't even expect on psnow 3d dot game heroes by from software for example) Like the visuals of that game still hold up, I'm not even sure it's downloadable.

I'm also very confused as to why the infamous series gets so little love from Sony when it's really striking to have an original super hero IP game.

Like a good chunk of their exclusives got old games ported but that one didn't.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Hmm I'm on the fence. I know everyone complains about their downloads speeds on ps4.

I use wired but I notice steam downloads a shitload faster anyhow.

Like I got deus ex at 28 gigs in like hour and some change

I noticed that FFXV took like 3-4 hours at 50~ (I think it's 46 just rounding, but there was a patch too right?)

The speeds are off, but not too drastically.
I will note though that ps4 you have to pause the download and restart it a few times to optimize it. Like FFXV said 12 hours, then I paused and restarted and it said 4. when it got to 90 it said an hour, paused unpaused, it became 20 minutes.

I wonder what these numbers would be like in a google fiber town.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 2, 2017

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

SectumSempra posted:

I wonder if a huge number of people subscribe to PS now.

At this point I've just bought the ps3 games I've wanted to try on pc (revengance) or moved on, or got sequels for PS4, or forgot they existed, (a few I don't even expect on psnow 3d dot game heroes by from software for example) Like the visuals of that game still hold up, I'm not even sure it's downloadable.

I'm also very confused as to why the infamous series gets so little love from Sony when it's really striking to have an original super hero IP game.

Like a good chunk of their exclusives got old games ported but that one didn't.

Didn't the infamous games on PS4 get a pro patch?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Ohtsam posted:

Didn't the infamous games on PS4 get a pro patch?

Only 2 infamous games are on ps4.

There are 5 infamous games.

Infamous 1 2 and festival of blood (what first light is to second son) are only on ps3 at the moment and never got remastered.

Also to be fair, infamous games still have some of the best special effects on the ps4, so I imagine the game looks even more gorgeous with a pro patch.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 2, 2017

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if we're being anecdotal psn maxes my fibre line with no issues

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

In Training posted:

It would be really awesome if they did the same stuff Microsoft is doing with their backwards compatibility stuff. There are still some PS3 games I own that would be cool to play on PS4

The problem is that the PS3 has really unique architecture, so simply making a PS3 emulator isn't a viable option.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The problem is that the PS3 has really unique architecture, so simply making a PS3 emulator isn't a viable option.

yeah emulating games which expected a bunch of pretty strong cpu cores with a weak gpu to something which is basically the opposite isnt super simple

edit: also the way the cpu functioned in general beyond just core counts etc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

psnow works well hope its priced more attractively eventually

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i kept my last gen console though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

psnow works well hope its priced more attractively eventually

i think its going to keep the price but just keep adding more and more games and eventually ps4 titles rather than stick where its at with a lower price tbh

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I still have my fat old PS3 but I don't think I'll be connecting it back up. I love my PS4 a heck of a lot.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

i think its going to keep the price but just keep adding more and more games and eventually ps4 titles rather than stick where its at with a lower price tbh

they'll probably add ps1 and ps2 games too

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

As someone who buys all digital, I don't really have a big problem with psn download speeds. Preorders mean preloads and even during sales, my ps4 can download the game when I buy it from the web browser at work. I've never had to wait for my game to finish updating or downloading.

But either way, there's always some bullshit you have to deal with on any console. The ps4 just has the least amount of bullshit (wiiu is just equal) with the most amounts of games.

I've heard that in 2015, xbl went down more often than psn. Not sure about 2016. Someone may have numbers somewhere.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

VideoGames posted:

I still have my fat old PS3 but I don't think I'll be connecting it back up. I love my PS4 a heck of a lot.

i hooked mine up a few months ago and the UI is so loving slow its unbearable. i mean it was bad dealing with it last gen but going back to it is atrocious

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Wii U has the least amount of bullshit because you just put a disc in and the game works like the olden days.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

In Training posted:

The Wii U has the least amount of bullshit because you just put a disc in and the game works like the olden days.

it's bad

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In Training posted:

There are quite a few Wii U games with patches and even small day one patches would take forever on launch day due to traffic.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

As someone who buys all digital, I don't really have a big problem with psn download speeds. Preorders mean preloads and even during sales, my ps4 can download the game when I buy it from the web browser at work. I've never had to wait for my game to finish updating or downloading.

But either way, there's always some bullshit you have to deal with on any console. The ps4 just has the least amount of bullshit (wiiu is just equal) with the most amounts of games.

I've heard that in 2015, xbl went down more often than psn. Not sure about 2016. Someone may have numbers somewhere.

What i've noticed is that most times a ddos attack happened it seemed to have happened to both consoles but people jumped on sony more vocally about it.

Luckily this year christmas got of without a hitch, so things went well for both companies i guess

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SectumSempra posted:

Luckily this year christmas got of without a hitch, so things went well for both companies i guess

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/812991257345716224

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

SectumSempra posted:

Every year for the past two years Remote Play has stopped working after the 24th for me until I get back home. It's kind of annoying. :(

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SectumSempra posted:

What i've noticed is that most times a ddos attack happened it seemed to have happened to both consoles but people jumped on sony more vocally about it.

More vocal because more players.

Also wiiu has terrible terrible digital sales and their account system is pretty much terrible. If you lose your 3ds, you gotta call Nintendo and you can't do a website deactivation or anything.

So yes the wiiu is just equal to ps4, with its own issues. But it has almost no games aside from Nintendo developed ones (which are mostly amazing but they've had a few mediocre ones recently. The wiiu did not have a good 2016 year and 2017 will be worse but at least they have new Zelda)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

While we're on PSN quality anecdotes, I just subbed for another year of PS Now, which at least for me works well enough that I'm not actively "aware" of it being a remote thing, even for reaction time-heavy stuff like the fighting games.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

univbee posted:

While we're on PSN quality anecdotes, I just subbed for another year of PS Now, which at least for me works well enough that I'm not actively "aware" of it being a remote thing, even for reaction time-heavy stuff like the fighting games.

is the sub-exclusive selection pretty decent? I still have my PS3 but the less cords for my cats to chew on, the better.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm finally getting around to playing Darksiders from the Halloween sale and holy poo poo this is actually really good. I mean, not a huge milestone or anything groundbreaking, but very competently made in the best sense of the word. The voice acting is a bit hammy but it fits with the general tone of it. I was expecting it to be far more mediocre.

They even got Mark Hamill although I'm not totally sure yet how I feel about him using the exact same voice as for the Joker.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing Darksiders from the Halloween sale and holy poo poo this is actually really good. I mean, not a huge milestone or anything groundbreaking, but very competently made in the best sense of the word. The voice acting is a bit hammy but it fits with the general tone of it. I was expecting it to be far more mediocre.

They even got Mark Hamill although I'm not totally sure yet how I feel about him using the exact same voice as for the Joker.

You rather him be like Luke from Force Awakening?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hamill's only really got the one voice. Sometimes it's a little more Joker, sometimes a little less.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

is the sub-exclusive selection pretty decent? I still have my PS3 but the less cords for my cats to chew on, the better.

It's slowly but surely getting better.

On that note, I think I'm going to start a list of noteworthy titles missing from PSNow (excluding stuff readily available natively on PS4), open to suggestions.

3D Dot Game Heroes
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand
Afrika
Atelier (all games)
Battlefield (all games)
Bionic Commando
Call of Duty (all games)
Castlevania (all games)
Dark Souls (all games)
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Demons' Souls
Final Fantasy (all games)
Folklore
Gran Turismo (all games)
Katamari Forever
Marvel Games (all)
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 3
Metal Gear Solid (all games)
Nier
No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
Persona 4 Arena
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Skate (all games)
SoulCalibur (all games)
Syndicate
Tales series (all games)
Tekken (all games)
Wolfenstein (all games)
Yakuza (all games)
You Don't Know Jack

univbee fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 3, 2017

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I know there's a huge list of total games unavailable, but do you guys have opinions on which huge notable PS1 games didn't become available on PSN? Tony Hawk 1 and 2 are off the top of my head as ones I would have loved.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

silent hill, non hd collection

resident evil 2, 3

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

elf help book posted:

I know there's a huge list of total games unavailable, but do you guys have opinions on which huge notable PS1 games didn't become available on PSN? Tony Hawk 1 and 2 are off the top of my head as ones I would have loved.

Some of these will never happen for legal fuckery reasons:

Azure Dreams (available digitally in Japan only)
Brave Fencer Musashi (available digitally in Japan only)
Breath of Fire III (available digitally in Europe)
Bushido Blade (available digitally in Japan only)
Bushido Blade 2 (available digitally in Japan only)
D
Dance Dance Revolution (series)
Ehrgeiz (available digitally in Japan only)
Fear Effect
Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix (available on the European PSN)
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 2
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Mega Man X3
Mega Man X6
R-Type Delta (formerly available digitally, no longer purchasable)
Rival Schools (available digitally in Japan only)
SaGa Frontier (available digitally in Japan only)
SaGa Frontier 2 (available digitally in Japan only)
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Tekken 3
Tobal No. 1
Tobal 2 (Japan only)
Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts II

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

Oh man I would love to have THPS2 on Vita.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

univbee posted:

Some of these will never happen for legal fuckery reasons:

Azure Dreams (available digitally in Japan only)
Brave Fencer Musashi (available digitally in Japan only)
Breath of Fire III (available digitally in Europe)
Bushido Blade (available digitally in Japan only)
Bushido Blade 2 (available digitally in Japan only)
D
Dance Dance Revolution (series)
Ehrgeiz (available digitally in Japan only)
Fear Effect
Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix (available on the European PSN)
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 2
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Mega Man X3
Mega Man X6
R-Type Delta (formerly available digitally, no longer purchasable)
Rival Schools (available digitally in Japan only)
SaGa Frontier (available digitally in Japan only)
SaGa Frontier 2 (available digitally in Japan only)
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Tekken 3
Tobal No. 1
Tobal 2 (Japan only)
Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts II

drat, Brave Fencer Musashi

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

elf help book posted:

Legend of Legaia
SaGa Frontier
Any Ace Combat games
Armored Core Project Phantasma/Master of Arena
Brave Fencer Musashi
Ehrgeiz
Any King's Field games
I don't know if the Fear Effect games stood the test of time but those aren't on there
Any number of other games that were based of the THPS engine back during that boom

And probably a dozen or more other games I can't think of right now

Edit: Univbee, drat you and your speed :argh:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

At least Lunar and Breath of Fire 3 are available on the PSN for PSP/Vita.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Glad we finally got Tomba 2.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

elf help book posted:

Ape Escape

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

elf help book posted:

drat, Brave Fencer Musashi

The reason there are so many Square Enix games on that list is rumored to be because their VA contracts were worded in such a way that they only allowed physical sales, requiring re-negotiation with the VA's for digital release.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Its 2017 and PS4 still can't play PS1 games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harlock posted:

Its 2017 and PS4 still can't play PS1 games

Yeah seriously. Its the first system sony has ever put out that can't play PS1 games (im counting hacked PSPs even if its a technicality)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
No need to count hacked PSPs, most PSX classics from the PSN store can be played legally on the PSP too.

Even those dumb Sony phones had PSX support!