Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

chunkles fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If you're willing to go a little further, head down to Barker Cypress and 290 for Pho Binh. It's not as good as the one in Bellaire but it's still a drat nice pho

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Markelle Fultz looks much more like an NBA player than all the other top pg prospects
But who cares

What's important is that some team in the late second round is going to get Marko Gudurić, who's kind of like a 6'6 Serbian Goran Dragic without the ball handling. He's absolutely mastered the hop after the catch to get easy threes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyq-UqNv0Js

Josh Jackson reminds me of a sort of combo of college MKG and Stanley Johnson, without the playmaking and with a jumpshot that's only sort of missed up and not completely awful. He has the same sort of heaviness as Stanley Johnson but he moves through defenders who should be in position to stop him

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 22, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's a deep draft but there's a pretty healthy gap between Fultz and everyone else based on what I've seen so far, even though I would like to legally adopt Lonzo Ball

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Markelle Fultz looks much more like an NBA player than all the other top pg prospects
But who cares

What's important is that some team in the late second round is going to get Marko Gudurić, who's kind of like a 6'6 Serbian Goran Dragic without the ball handling. He's absolutely mastered the hop after the catch to get easy threes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyq-UqNv0Js

Josh Jackson reminds me of a sort of combo of college MKG and Stanley Johnson, without the playmaking and with a jumpshot that's only sort of missed up and not completely awful. He has the same sort of heaviness as Stanley Johnson but he moves through defenders who should be in position to stop him

Decent cutter already too. Could be a bigger, stronger JJ Redick, which would be a very valuable guy.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

So what's the word on this draft, are top 5 teams going to find their salvation here

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

So what's the word on this draft, are top 5 teams going to find their salvation here

Other than Markelle Fultz, I don't know who's a future all-star. Especially since a few of the most highly touted guys were injured/coming off of injuries. what I do know is that almost all of the pg prospects who were bad three point shooters have shot around 38% or so and have good %s from the field. It looks like a draft with a lot of solid to good players and a few guys who could break out. All the bigs in the lottery range are skinny. I'd say it's much better than last year's draft.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 29, 2016

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

OH drat I just checked and the Rockets have two second round picks from the Nuggets and Blazers, plus their own first rounder. Could be a pretty good Morey draft if they don't trade those

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

OH drat I just checked and the Rockets have two second round picks from the Nuggets and Blazers, plus their own first rounder. Could be a pretty good Morey draft if they don't trade those

There could be some decent 2nd rounders this year, but the most important of them all is the mysterious Alpha Kaba of France

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Dejan Bimble posted:

There could be some decent 2nd rounders this year, but the most important of them all is the mysterious Alpha Kaba of France

You know the bulls are going to draft this guy in the first round

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Malik Monk is def going to be a #bucketgetter

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

straight up brolic posted:

He's kinda short and Is Not A Point Guard so that's probably going to be an issue defensively

I like Josh Jackson a lot even though he's stuck in Selfland and his jumper is peepee doodoo

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I've seen some places having Frank Ntilikina rising and that's a name of either a star or a bust. No in between.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jota posted:

I've seen some places having Frank Ntilikina rising and that's a name of either a star or a bust. No in between.

That's very much a "Never Played in the NBA" footnote type of name

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Yeah I really like him, although there's a chance he measures at like 6'2" which is still kinda iffy for a SG unless he goes somewhere with a PG who can cover for him defensively

Declan MacManus posted:

He's kinda short and Is Not A Point Guard so that's probably going to be an issue defensively

I like Josh Jackson a lot even though he's stuck in Selfland and his jumper is peepee doodoo

There is an army of wings in this draft who are amazing prospects aside from the giant caveat that they can't shoot at all

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 30, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm fully on the ball hype train

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Looking at draftexpress, I feel like this draft is an extremely solid draft by names, but we need some sort of grading curve for this, with a year-by-year analysis of drafts.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

all i want out of the draft is a ranking of euro prospects by papagiannis's dad

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

Would it be too much Kansas stereotyping to say he's sort of a mirrored Andrew Wiggins, who's pretty good at a lot of stuff and looks like he has potential to be a great defender.

MourningView posted:

Yeah I really like him, although there's a chance he measures at like 6'2" which is still kinda iffy for a SG unless he goes somewhere with a PG who can cover for him defensively

There is an army of wings in this draft who are amazing prospects aside from the giant caveat that they can't shoot at all

Malik Monk kind of plays like Isaiah Thomas if Isaiah Thomas was 6'2, but without the passing, and without a miraculous handle. He rocks guys back and shoulder fakes into easy little jumpers off the dribble. The only guy who shoots off the dribble as well as him, who I've watched play in a game this year, is Isaiah Hartenstein. Not exactly a 1 for 1 comparison. If he can just decide to be a pg like Jamal Murray, and go to a team with lots of passing wings and bigs, he could do really well.

Speaking of Kentucky guards, De'Aron Fox looks so good, he's so splitty, he just pops from one place to another like magic. It's a shame he can't shoot. If he keeps shooting like 10% from three who knows how deep into the lottery he'll fall.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 30, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The vibe I get from this draft (based purely on reading about it, not actually watching any college basketball or anything because seriously who wants to do that?) is that Fulz is a potential superstar and then there's three to five potential all-stars in the lottery but everyone disagrees on who those players are. It feels like the kind of draft where a team is going to get lucky and get a Paul George at 10 or a Kawhi at 15.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/secnetwork/status/814650009375436800

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hit that wide wide wide open corner three man or hit the bench, Shalhoub >:[

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I feel like Josh Hart is this year's guy who is very good at everything, but inexplicably slips to the second round because of minor imperfections and size issues

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
someone tell me why i'm an idiot for thinking mikal bridges from nova is going to be a steal

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They way you all are talking it sounds like monk would fit well with Ben Simmons.

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!

I feel like Josh Hart is this year's guy who is very good at everything, but inexplicably slips to the second round because of minor imperfections and size issues

I think he's very similar to Malcolm Brogdon. Slightly worse passer, but better rebounder. Think you're right that he drops due to his age, average size, and average athleticism. He's one of the best area rebounders I've seen from the guard position.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

euphronius posted:

They way you all are talking it sounds like monk would fit well with Ben Simmons.

Yeah actually, nominal PG who shooty shoots

Dejan Bimble posted:

Would it be too much Kansas stereotyping to say he's sort of a mirrored Andrew Wiggins, who's pretty good at a lot of stuff and looks like he has potential to be a great defender.

I mean sorta, both of those guys are in the Tracy McGrady mold which is kind of astonishing

MourningView posted:

I feel like this is the norm with athletic wings now, especially the ones who can pass

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Isn't Monk a liability on the defense end? That alone makes me hesitant for the Sixers to draft him.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

aBagorn posted:

Isn't Monk a liability on the defense end? That alone makes me hesitant for the Sixers to draft him.
He's Lou Williams/Jamal Crawford with better athleticism. You don't want him in the top 5, but beyond that he's good value

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

If Monk doesn't celebrate dunks with a namaste or perhaps a 5 minute meditation in the lotus pose I want no part of him

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jota posted:

Is this dude legit?

the internet says he's probably legit

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this dude legit?

the internet says he's probably legit

He's played very well in the last few weeks in the three areas that people are looking at: defense, shooting the 3, and pick+roll.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He's played very well in the last few weeks in the three areas that people are looking at: defense, shooting the 3, and pick+roll.

Yeah my best case scenario for the Sixers this draft is Fultz/Nitilikina

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

am I the only one who thinks that with those bizarre mechanics, Ball's 3pt shot is fools gold when it comes to the NBA level? it's just so loving weird.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

am I the only one who thinks that with those bizarre mechanics, Ball's 3pt shot is fools gold when it comes to the NBA level? it's just so loving weird.

there's nothing wrong with an unorthodox shot, let me tell you about how john shurna is tearing up the ACB

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I dunno it's hosed up but if it works I guess it works. His percentages weren't that great in high school but his crazy rear end dad had he and his brothers taking pull-ups from like practically half court so who the hell knows. He's skilled enough that he still has a lot of value even if it drops off a bit.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

MourningView posted:

I dunno it's hosed up but if it works I guess it works. His percentages weren't that great in high school but his crazy rear end dad had he and his brothers taking pull-ups from like practically half court so who the hell knows. He's skilled enough that he still has a lot of value even if it drops off a bit.
i thought his brothers have normal form iirc and lonzo ball is like the devils son and the worst of them?

e: LaVar named them like pokemon evolutions (Lonzo, LiAngelo, LaMelo), so I'm going to take this as canon.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 4, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

along those lines Carte'Are Gordon has committed to the same school that produced basketball legend Jordair Jett

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

LaMelo

the only thing that has gotten better in the future is basketball
http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/12/27/14088934/lamelo-ball-chino-hills-high-school-halfcourt-shot-calls-it

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
In our tongue he is known as "the melo"

• Locked thread