Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Using a seaglide to get around everywhere is kind of a waste, at least before you get a recharger. Use it to dive deeper depths and/or explore wrecks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
My game had been fine with performance and I didn't understand the 'unplayable after 10 hours' posts, but then abruptly it got really bad around 30 hours (no gradual decline) and deleting those cache folders (which I didn't want to do) didn't help. I can't play the save anymore or it will crash.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Ended up buying the game and have been enjoying it. It does indeed run like crap on my decent machine but not outright unstable yet.

One problem I am running into though is that I seem to have exterminated all the fish around my hab, and I need to swim further and further out just to catch bladderfish for basic water needs. Will they ever respawn?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Scoss posted:

Ended up buying the game and have been enjoying it. It does indeed run like crap on my decent machine but not outright unstable yet.

One problem I am running into though is that I seem to have exterminated all the fish around my hab, and I need to swim further and further out just to catch bladderfish for basic water needs. Will they ever respawn?

Things killed by you stay dead. Things killed by the environment or other creatures respawn. You are loving up the ecosystem mang. Try investing in sustainable aquaculture. (make an alien containment, put in live bladderfish and let em breed)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Over the last hour I finally made it into the Aurora for the first time, stole and scanned everything I could find, repaired the drive core to stop the radiation, then was killed by a piece of falling debris, reverting my entire inventory :shepface: do any of the items respawn because I had so many

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

7c Nickel posted:

Things killed by you stay dead. Things killed by the environment or other creatures respawn. You are loving up the ecosystem mang. Try investing in sustainable aquaculture. (make an alien containment, put in live bladderfish and let em breed)

Eh, you can actually go without killing anything yourself and the fish will eventually extinct themselves a lot of the time. Like basically every time I build my first base a good ways away from the lifepod and go out of my way not to grab anything from that area, or the kelp forest 50+ m, away. Stuff still generally runs itself extinct without my touching them (Which is a shame even when you got infinite fishtanks, since that makes the view from windows and observation bubble rooms rather samey).

The times I've gotten Dev responses about this (Though last one I got was a few months back), this was a "Known issue" :sigh: Though people generally went right back to saying it was 100% player at fault even directly after the developers posted that it wasn't :v:

I'd be all for a "Don't overfish" mechanic if, you know, the predator/prey ecosystem was tuned to match such a thing. Instead of a lopsided player only "If you grab more than ten fish, gently caress you." while there are still being more predators in any given biome to ever avoid starving to death even before you showed up.

Danaru posted:

Over the last hour I finally made it into the Aurora for the first time, stole and scanned everything I could find, repaired the drive core to stop the radiation, then was killed by a piece of falling debris, reverting my entire inventory :shepface: do any of the items respawn because I had so many

Ahahahah.. hah... If you found it, do you still have the unique cyclops upgrade module? You're probably going to have to console in that important item from the sound of things.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 30, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Section Z posted:

Ahahahah.. hah... If you found it, do you still have the unique cyclops upgrade module? You're probably going to have to console in that important item from the sound of things.

This is one of the things that's actively bad in the game right now. I had to console that in because I accidentally deconstructed a locker that had that in it while rearranging my base.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Overfishing could be a cool mechanic. Make it so it's IMPOSSIBLE to extinct some creatures, but you can DRASTICALLY reduce their spawn rate or something like that (that way you can replenish them). Then add in some fish hatchery buildings that automatically release fish into the wild that just increases the overall spawn rate rather than just creating a bunch of fish that forever swim in that one spot like what happens now when you release a bunch of fish. Make them only able to accommodate fish that belong in the biome you build the hatchery in. Bam! Now you have a reason for building multiple bases in the game.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Met posted:

Overfishing could be a cool mechanic.

It wasn't that long ago that fish didn't respawn which forced you to continually venture further away from your spawn to find more food and water.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
if we are gonna morel poo poo, Killing predators should cause pop booms for prey fish

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Met posted:

Overfishing could be a cool mechanic. Make it so it's IMPOSSIBLE to extinct some creatures, but you can DRASTICALLY reduce their spawn rate or something like that (that way you can replenish them). Then add in some fish hatchery buildings that automatically release fish into the wild that just increases the overall spawn rate rather than just creating a bunch of fish that forever swim in that one spot like what happens now when you release a bunch of fish. Make them only able to accommodate fish that belong in the biome you build the hatchery in. Bam! Now you have a reason for building multiple bases in the game.

How is this a good idea in any way :psyduck: I mean not only is playing fish farmer ecologist is the opposite of fun but how do you overfish by eating barely 2 fish per day

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Have you... played this game for more than a week of game time?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I have killed more fish by running into them by eating by a long shot. In fact, since I visited the floater island I basically don't eat fish at all.

Anyone else getting the multiple-wrecks-spawning thing where they overlap? I think it's causing some instability in my game; every time I pass one of the forest zones I get worse and worse lag until now there's about a ~50% chance of crashing when I pass by.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
That lovely bug has been in the game for months and I don't get why they dont focus on that kind of poo poo before putting in more "story". I wont play again until they do the terrain change. The way its getting delayed again month after month is super shady and I have a bad feeling about it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

That lovely bug has been in the game for months and I don't get why they dont focus on that kind of poo poo before putting in more "story". I wont play again until they do the terrain change. The way its getting delayed again month after month is super shady and I have a bad feeling about it.
Part bugfixes for that sort of thing being hard compared to tweaking numbers or adding a single item. Part it not being a shiny new sales attention getting feature. Part fanbase defending it as working as intended even when they take the time to admit it's a bug, and instead preferring to beg the Devs to nerf QoL items or assure them there is no such thing as a silver shortages (Good on them for finally realizing that it IS a problem, on that note).

As for the terraforming pushbacks? I can't see anything "Shady" there, As much as I sass the dry erase board dates they have for them. It's just very likely "Oh poo poo, undoing one of our originally advertised main features that effects literally everything in the game is HARD". Combined it now being incredibly built up as a "No complaining about performance allowed until after they fix terraforming :argh:"" scapegoat wonder cure. Which no doubt puts a lot more pressure on them to not gently caress it up when they finally do it.

Plus changing their mind and leaving it in would be a potentially bigger workload because then they would have to try to optimize in a terraformable terrain. So they have a nice old fashioned workload incentive to eventually remove it. Along with it's current state being most common reason for bad reviews that isn't "Where is my multiplayer :byodood:"

But can they rise to their greatest challenge yet? Updating the store page to not say the development is expected to take "Most 0f 2015". It only took them several months after the official announcement terraforming was going to be removed for them to remove the words "Voxel Terraforming" from the store page, after all. So they should have this handled right in time for launch :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 30, 2016

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I made a lag-enabled discovery: After colliding with a rock with those floater jellies on it, I discovered that they will stick to the cyclops and rather easily lift it up. I no longer fear crush depth.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The last time I was really playing this game was last year before they made the seamoth change that turned it into a slow laggy monster instead of the zippy underwater fighter jet I had. I honestly don't see myself playing subnautica again unless there's a way to revert to the march 2015 version. Despite the fact that I have 28 hours in it, if I could get a refund, I would. It's basically been developing backwards and is now in no man's sky territory.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ambaire posted:

The last time I was really playing this game was last year before they made the seamoth change that turned it into a slow laggy monster instead of the zippy underwater fighter jet I had. I honestly don't see myself playing subnautica again unless there's a way to revert to the march 2015 version. Despite the fact that I have 28 hours in it, if I could get a refund, I would. It's basically been developing backwards and is now in no man's sky territory.

Nice meltdown.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Huh, Subnautica is in the Silver category measured by largest gross revenue on Steam. Along with Watch dogs 2, Deus Ex: MD and Civ V.
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2016_top_sellers/?snr=1_41_4__42

Really hope they haven't painted themselves into a corner with the performance issues. And also that they stop listening to their fan base (at the official forums, I mean).

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ambaire posted:

source your quotes

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Last patch they definitely took advice that was contrary to their official forums general opinion of "gently caress everyone trying to enjoy the game"

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I don't think I could ever enjoy this game, but the periodic anxiety-triggered panic attacks are a great way to feel alive for a few minutes while I huddle in a dark multi-purpose room on the sea floor.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

I don't think I could ever enjoy this game, but the periodic anxiety-triggered panic attacks are a great way to feel alive for a few minutes while I huddle in a dark multi-purpose room on the sea floor.

Great news! Reapers are unexpectedly quiet this patch, so now you can feel super alive when you spin around in your seamoth just in time to see a reaper's jaws 5m away.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So do resources respawn or what? I've farmed out a bunch of my pod's starting area and I can't tell. In a game with a finite map, that's kind of eh. Not to mention how many drat batteries it seems like I'm gonna be going through.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

You know, I have 40 hours in this game and I still have no idea whether they do or not.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Saxophone posted:

So do resources respawn or what? I've farmed out a bunch of my pod's starting area and I can't tell. In a game with a finite map, that's kind of eh. Not to mention how many drat batteries it seems like I'm gonna be going through.

Why don't you make a battery charger?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Plek posted:

Great news! Reapers are unexpectedly quiet this patch, so now you can feel super alive when you spin around in your seamoth just in time to see a reaper's jaws 5m away.

I got grabbed once on my way to the ship to repair the reactor and I spent the entire few-second ordeal of being dragged around with my eyes closed and shouting incoherent words then almost demolished the seamoth slamming into the ship getting away from it.

'Fun'!

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

There does need to be more migratory stuff. Fields of jellyfish, great white shark-like things, schools of some other fish that move around the map. The one thing I think it'd really benefit by is more unpredictability. Nothing too insane, but just something that throws a wrench at you, or makes you want to scramble out of the water faster. poo poo, how about a roaming shark which is blind and uses audible "pings" to home in on you from far relatively away? Simulate the Jaws experience.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Been having a lot of fun with this, I like the gradual build-up from diving for everything to cruising the ocean floor with my submarine. Is it strange that I haven't found any blueprints for base stuff? I have a Cyclops but still only have the options to build corridors, haven't found a multipurpose room or anything like that yet. I have vehicles that need upgrading! It doesn't seem like it'll matter anyway, I can't play my save game for more than 10 minutes without the game crawling to a halt and crashing. :smith:

Also, how do you "get in" the Aurora? I've been around the wreckage and haven't found a way to get in or any doors to cut to get inside.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The multipurpose room comes up too late in progression.

I need to play through again so I can make a proper suggestion that they fix that.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

I need to play through again so I can make a proper suggestion that they fix that.

I think one of the early messages you get after fixing the lifepod is supposed to steer you towards the island bases, but it's a little scary if you don't know that swimming near the surface water is safe.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

It used to be a default room, which made sense as it is literally the only "Room" that isn't a utility upgrade in itself (Well okay, the observatory is more pretty). They gated it because, well, they wanted to gate something we already started with for "Progression". But there isn't anything else to gate because all we have are tube hallways and the MP room :downs:

On the bright side? Solar panels used to have to be an unlock. So back when we had the MP room as a starter, our undersea survival kit blueprints were not allowed to actually provide air to anything we built :pseudo:

So while still kinda stupid, it's less stupid than building a hallway or MP room only to realize it's loving useless because you didn't stop to scan solar panels in the safe shallows (Which was rather quick once you had a scanner, but still :confused: at it even being a thing). I'd be more okay with it if not for fish extinction and other assorted resources that make the assumption "Well just use your later unlocks and MP room to make up for it!" (see also: Early game battery frustrations only to be told "Well, why don't you just use an unlock you don't have yet!")

A fish tank to breed your own snacks is great, but it takes away some of the luster when it's treated as a band-aid for a longstanding "Known bug" for example.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 3, 2017

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Plek posted:

I think one of the early messages you get after fixing the lifepod is supposed to steer you towards the island bases, but it's a little scary if you don't know that swimming near the surface water is safe.

Well more that the message doesn't come with a marker, and Second Officer Keen gives lovely directions, which just lead me out into Crash Zone and then the Abyss when I tried to follow them. (And staying near the surface didn't help. :gonk:)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's grade A bullshit that the Islands are only visible from like 200 meters away.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

It's grade A bullshit that the Islands are only visible from like 200 meters away.

:same:

I keep seeing people trying to justify it as Fog or "Clearly they have a cloaking device!", but I'm hoping the devs don't take the lazy way out and stick us with Superman 64 effects just because they can get away with calling a bad draw distance "immersive".

I don't need a lovingly rendered perfect model at all times, but an obvious visual indication that "Hey there's a goddamned mountain over there" from your lifepod would be great. Even if it was just a shadowy outline, rather than some faint graphical effect only a guy who already knew a mountain was there in the first place would ever take as an sign.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
Last night I discovered two neat things: the garbage can actually deletes things for you, and you can actually sleep (and pass time) in a bed! :woop: I'm on the experimental build so this might be new, or I might be dense - either way, yay!

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

explosivo posted:

Been having a lot of fun with this, I like the gradual build-up from diving for everything to cruising the ocean floor with my submarine. Is it strange that I haven't found any blueprints for base stuff? I have a Cyclops but still only have the options to build corridors, haven't found a multipurpose room or anything like that yet. I have vehicles that need upgrading! It doesn't seem like it'll matter anyway, I can't play my save game for more than 10 minutes without the game crawling to a halt and crashing. :smith:

Also, how do you "get in" the Aurora? I've been around the wreckage and haven't found a way to get in or any doors to cut to get inside.

There used to be a side entrance into Aurora's engine room, but it has been blocked with an invisible pane of glass. You'll have to go in from the charred front of the ship.

I only found a multipurpose room after scanning an abandoned base, I think that's the only way to get base blueprints.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I mean they can do it with the Aurora, there is no reason why the islands shoulnt be visible from far away.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
It may just be an effort to make the world seem bigger. When I first started playing it was fairly impressive looking at all that vast open ocean. Once you've got a seamoth or cyclops that ocean feels a lot smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The people who said fog weren't trying to justify anything, there is literally fog covering the islands so you can't see them. You can still look for the fog itself because it doesn't blend into the background perfectly though.